Language patzer, French

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Language patzer
Yellow Belt
Languages: Greek native, English C2, French B2

Re: Language patzer, French

Postby Language patzer » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:32 am

I continue happily with french. Finally I reached this part of the book where there are actual texts. Not litterature yet but we'll get there! When you are a false beginner the early stuff is boring...

Good news on my journal writing: the more I write the more easy it becomes. Still full of errors I expect, but it's ok! At least I write every day.

As for turkish, I am thinking that since I started maybe I should continue one small chapter at a time. It's not time consuming the way it's written, and but the end of the book I will have a good basis on grammar and some easy vocabulary. I'm not making a big deal out of it.
3 x

Language patzer
Yellow Belt

Postby Language patzer » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:37 am

I stopped for a few days due to some family obligations. The obligations won't stop, so I will have to find a way to make this work anyway. I feel like I have wasted so much time, as far as languages are concerned.
3 x

Language patzer
Yellow Belt

Postby Language patzer » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:39 am

I am back on track. Finally the lessons are becoming more interesting, and I revise/learn at a fast pace. I watch a lot of french tv and films.

I watched Loupin and I liked it a lot, it was fun.

As for the course I am using, it's the right choice as I like it more and more. Of course it's old, and the France it describes with such love and detail doesn't exist any longer. I wonder though if the douce France that is described isn't what french people still have in their mind when they think about their country wilth love and nostalgia. I think it still is.

I haven't done much with turkish, which is a shame really. I'll continue with that book and see where it takes me.
3 x

Language patzer
Yellow Belt

Postby Language patzer » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:31 am

I am back on track with french, because I took some days off. Not because I didn't have the time, but for other reasons.

Mostly I was thinking about other languages, the point of learning french, the point of learning another language at all, serching for other french books etc. Whatever. You get the idea.

I was also on a bad mood for other reasons, but I decided that all of this is simply procrastination of the worst kind: pure excuses to be lazy.

So yesterday I studied for a couple of hours and now I feel like I'm back.

Where am I now, then?
:arrow: I continue with this partucular course. It's a great course for me.
:arrow: I continue with french in action, daily. It's good oral/speaking practice, and I like the vintage style Mireille has!

Now, for the challenges:
:roll: I don't really do the excercises for each chapter, mailny because I am in a hurry to move on with these loooong books. What a mistake! A big mistake. I should really fix that, because I find myself looking for other drill books, when there are so many of them already in the course.

So, again it all boils down to why am I learning french? This matters, because it defines my behaviour towards the length of time I am willing to spend on french, in terms of months or maybe years.
If I learn because I urgently need a C2 diploma, then what I'm doing is wrong. It will take forever.
If I simply want to learn as much as possible, focusing not only in language but also in culture, then I am on the right path. It will take forever anyway, but that's great because it's a wonderful hobby, being a francophile.

We areall going through some life changing times, and I am no different. This pandemic has forced me to slow down and take a good look at my life, and I can tell you I need to do something for my self, something that has no gain other than itself. A hobby that opens doors of culture and beauty and of other peoples habits. It doesn't have to go anywhere, and, although a diploma would be great, it can't be the real goal, because it's no use to me anyway (being honest here).

I feel liberated thinking like that. No long term goal, just the daily commitment.

Daily commitment: Study from the course daily and [b]do the drills! One FIA video a day. That's the minimum, as I also watch a lot of films, documentaries, etc in french. I do write in my journal, but only small paragraphs yet.

What about other languages?Ok, stop.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”