SC bookkeeping and other language learning whimsy

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Re: SC bookkeeping and other language learning whimsy

Postby Deinonysus » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:23 pm

Unfortunately, Coco is only available in English and Spanish on Disney+. The Spanish version is a different video, which is odd. I wonder if they reanimated the lip movements.

The dubbing on Disney+ is very hit or miss. Some movies have dubs available in all the major Western and Northern European languages, others only have English and Spanish. There is little if any support for languages outside of that. They're missing some really obvious ones like Mulan in Mandarin or Aladdin in Arabic, which are unfortunately not available. They also don't have any of the cool specialized dubs like The Lion King in Zulu, Finding Nemo in Navajo, or Moana in Hawaiian or Maori.

Let me know if there are any specific movies you want me to check the dubbing options for.
3 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:56 pm

Thanks for the info. It covers a lot of my question, although I would like to know if you see anything in Russian.

I just will never understand why they invest in making special language versions, like Moana in Hawaiian, and don't let people have access to them past limited showings and maybe a limited DVD/Blu-ray release, if that much. Granted I suspect they don't invest a lot of money into some of these dubs, and I've often wonder if the voice talents they get for some of these language versions are even paid any real money (and of course all Disney talent has to sign an incredibly byzantine NDA so they can't tell us).
2 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:28 pm

Cèid Donn wrote:Thanks for the info. It covers a lot of my question, although I would like to know if you see anything in Russian.

I just will never understand why they invest in making special language versions, like Moana in Hawaiian, and don't let people have access to them past limited showings and maybe a limited DVD/Blu-ray release, if that much. Granted I suspect they don't invest a lot of money into some of these dubs, and I've often wonder if the voice talents they get for some of these language versions are even paid any real money (and of course all Disney talent has to sign an incredibly byzantine NDA so they can't tell us).

The Mandalorian has dubs in Polish and Japanese. Other than that I haven't seen any Eastern European languages or Asian languages, unfortunately.

The Clone Wars series has one of the best sets of dubs I've seen on Disney+. It has:
  • German
  • English
  • Spanish
  • Danish
  • Norwegian
  • Swedish
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Portuguese
  • Dutch
  • Italian

Frozen has a similar list but minus German, French, and Italian and plus Finnish.
1 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:53 pm

Greetings from the US where we're doing great and dandy and everything is fine!

See the original gif for full visual and audio experience here
Original video here

My brain cannot think in numbers right now, so I haven't been tweeting to the 6WC bot, but I need to at least write down some SC stuff I've done since my last SC update before my brain falls out of my skull entirely.

Fuascailt an Iriseora - 144 pgs

The Witcher, E3 with Russian audio - 67 minutes
El bandido honrado, E6-7 - 87 minutes
Ene(z) - E7-9 - 90 minutes

I need to hurry up and finish this season of Ene(z) because I don't know how long Brezhoweb is allowed to keep it up on their website. They generally don't keep TV series like that up for very long, which is really unfortunate.

Pour l'avoir vécu, E1-7 - 237 minutes

So, in Quebec, they call a podcast un balado which is confusing to me because a balado is also an Indonesian dish and so it never looks like a French word to me when I see it on websites and I have to stop and think for a second.

As of this morning I'm caught up in the Spanish edition of Metro 2033 with my Russian and German editions, so I get to resume reading thr latter two alongside the Spanish and it will be incredibly slow-going, I am sure. :lol:
5 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

overscore
Orange Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Serbian.
Levels vary. Native is fr-ca.

Postby overscore » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:40 pm

Cèid Donn wrote: Spanish edition of Metro 2033 with my Russian and German editions

Cool; – that reminds me I've been meaning to pick up a Serbian edition that I finally physically located.
If I could only find the extra month to finish it :lol: .

So, in Quebec, they call a podcast un balado which is confusing to me because a balado is also an Indonesian dish and so it never looks like a French word to me when I see it on websites and I have to stop and think for a second.

Interesting. I've never heard it, but it seems to be a shortening of the more common "une baladodiffusion". I've been away for a long time now, missing out on these new linguistic developments.
1 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:22 am

overscore wrote:

Interesting. I've never heard it, but it seems to be a shortening of the more common "une baladodiffusion". I've been away for a long time now, missing out on these new linguistic developments.

Ok, so I had to research it. And by research, I mean, look it up on Wiktionary. And indeed it is a shortening of baladodiffusion, which is a portemanteau of baladeur (walkman) and radiodiffusion and NOW I get it. :lol: Wow, that was a little etymological journey.
3 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:28 am

Pffft, well, the 1st week of the 6WC wasn't a total bust but not exactly as productive as I usually aim for. I'm doing things, but much it doesn't feel like quality studying, because I'm tired and distracted by various things. Oh well. Nothing else to be done but carry on, so carry on I will.

As part of my caregiving duties, I usually spend a few hours with my mom every week watching a TV series both my mom and I like, so she doesn't spend every day alone in front of the TV (my brother and I alternate doing this throughout the week so we can have time to do other things). Right now we're working our way through The Blacklist and Silent Witness. And on one episode of The Blacklist, they played a version of the gospel song "Down to the River to Pray," which ended up becoming an earworm for me over the past few days. But I don't actually know the English lyrics that well, so the version that's looping in my head is this one, a Gaelic version by Mary Ann Kennedy and Na Seòid:

'

This album was my favorite Gaelic music when I was an intermediate Gaelic learner. I listened to it all the time on my drive to and from work. I still remember most of the lyrics to the songs, including this one. It's a really well-done translation, that is both natural-feeling in Gaelic and retains the spirit of the original English lyrics:

Nuair chaidh mi sìos dhan an abhainn an dé,
'g ùrnaigh 's a' foghlum facal Dhé,
Is có a dhleasas crùn nan seud?
Mhic Dhé, stiùir mi nad cheum.

O, bhràithrean, rachamaid sìos,
rachamaid sios, thugnamaid sìos;
O, bhràithrean, rachamaid sìos,
dh'ùrnaigh san abhainn le cheil'.

'S có gheibh an trusgan 's crùn nan seud?

O, pheathraichean, rachamaid sìos,
O, pheathraichean, rachamaid sìos,

O, athraichean, rachamaid sìos,
O, athraichean, rachamaid sìos,

'g ùrnaigh 's a'foghlum facal Dhé,
'S có gheibh an trusgan 's crùn nan seud?

Mhàthraichean, rachamaid sìos,
thugnamaid sios, nach tig sibh sìos?
Mhàthraichean, rachamaid sìos,

If anyone is wondering why there are both grave and acute accents, this is how Gaelic was written before the last orthographical reform. Now we just use the grave accent.
For anyone interested, the entire album is uploaded on You Tube on the same channel as this video.
4 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:17 pm

I'm waiting for a Gaelic language Twitch stream to start. They're playing the new Assassins' Creed: Valhalla game (in English but commentary and chat will be in Gaelic), which if you at all care about video games, you know is the Big Hype right now. The stream's Twitch channel is called Cluicheamaid, if anyone is interested.

Relating to the new AC, one of my favorite non-language learning-related You Tube channels, one that started out as a quarantine project, is Tasting History and the newest episode was inspired by the AC, and it explores a bit of the history of mead, which sadly doesn't mention Brittany, but does mention Wales and Ireland, among many other places and cultures that have been really into mead over the centuries. Also, Max is hilarious.

In other news, my physical copy of Метро 2033 finally came, so I can stop using the free online sample at MyBooks.ru that only lets you access about 2 1/2 chapters, and I just started chapter 3, so good timing! My cat has inspected the physical copy and has approved it.

I ordered it from a used book marketplace in the UK called WeBuyBooks that sells through the Amazon marketplace, and unfortunately there was a mix-up between one of WeBuyBooks' individual UK sellers and whatever processing they do with Amazon orders, so I also got a copy of HR Giger artbook that was suppose to go to someone named Jenny Jenkins, per the invoice that came in the book, who lives somewhere else in the US, and because I'm dealing with layers of sellers here, I am unable to return it. So yeah. Not a Giger fan, but hey, free book.

I put a pen on top of the Russian text to show how small the print is. I suspect that, like with a lot of Spanish books, this is the norm? But good cosmos, that's tiny. (For anyone who's into pens, that's a Retro 51 pen. I have a few of them that I got as gifts in years past so it's a very old model.)
7 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:58 pm

I keep trying to make myself write these posts in French but you know what? I don't like typing in French very much, and this is an issue I have. I like writing in French, by hand. I genuinely enjoy that. But typing in French? Ugh. Not so much. Is it weird that i have varied preferences when it comes to typing in my TLs? German is a little annoying but not that bad. Spanish is easier, and I like typing in Gaelic, unless it's in a live Twitch chat then it's stressful. :lol: Breton is a serious pain to type in using a QWERTY keyboard, but Welsh and Cornish are much easier by comparison. And Irish is not too bad if I can remember how to spell things. Russian is just plain hard for me because I don't practice enough, but what's my excuse with French? I dunno. I just don't like typing in it. Words that need a circumflex are especially annoying because I have little girly fingers and that stretch to the 6 key is a pain. :evil:

My Dutch 6WC got a little sidetracked when I discovered that I can understand a fair amount of spoken Dutch for my level and I excitedly went off looking for media online to check out. I settled on Toon, a Netflix series that is well-written and well-acted and is NOT about the end of the world, like about 80% of non-English Netflix series seem to be these days.

Update for my SCs:

Нюхач, 2 episodes - 97 minutes

Hey, ich bin Jude! – Jung. Jüdisch. Deutsch. - 43 minutes

#FragEinenJungen, Teile 1 & 2 - 41 minutes

Toon, 5 episodes - 120 minutes

Ros na Rún, 3 episodes - 72 minutes

My Book SCs have really slowed down with my reading Metro 2033 in 3 languages and with reading some English language stuff on the side. I need to make time for my French and Celtic language reading, although I may need to wait until November is over because of my 6WC and Navajo review. But I did finish my other Spanish book, at least.

Cántico por Liebowitz - 428 paginas

Además de leer Metro 2033, estoy ahora re-leyendo El aprendiz de Linda Sue Park. Las bibliotecas aquí no han vuelto a sus horarios previos a la pandemia, y mis libros se renovaron automáticamente ya que no hice una cita para devolverlos. Desde que tengo mas tiempo con estos libros, debería aprovecharlo al máximo.

El aprendiz es un libro muy interesante y me gustan mucho los escritos de Park, pero probablemente me perdí mucho cuando lo leí por primera vez. Creo que sería beneficioso para releerlo.

Updated progress bars:

French Double SC : 1538 / 18000 : 740 / 10000
Spanish Double SC : 1971 / 18000 : 1182 / 10000
Celtic Double SC : 1292 / 18000 : 725 / 10000
Germanic SC : 1056 / 9000 : 148 / 5000
Russian Half SC : 991 / 4500 : 0 / 2500

I finished the first module of the Memrise Dutch course and have started the second module. It's the third module I'm dreading though--for some reason, that's been the longest module in the other Memrise courses I've done and I'm assuming it's the same with Dutch. I don't know why Memrise had to do their courses like that.

Dutch Memrise Crunch : 11 / 164
Colloquial Dutch Speedrun : 7 / 29

Nothing exciting to report about my Navajo review. I'm going through Goossen again, writing stuff in my journal, watching videos on You Tube, doing drills when I remember, digging through some Navajos' old tweets for a few new vocabulary words. I am not too far behind schedule but I need to get a little ahead on this actually, because Thanksgiving is a' coming and guess who does all the cooking in this house. :?

30 hours of Navajo : 11 / 30
4 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:52 pm

I loved your comments on typing in different languages--isn't it funny how we develop these odd preferences/aversions? My downfall was the Russian alphabet. Hiragana, katakana, kanji? Cool! Nifty! Crazy Gaeilge spelling/pronunciation? OK, fine, looks familiar but everything behaves uniformly weirdly. New different letters in the Russian alphabet? Cool! But a handful of my familiar roman sounding as I feel others should instead? My brain broke and noped out on that one entirely, no matter how many clever little apps I played with.

But I actually had an entirely unrelated question. What exactly do you do (or skip doing) in a "speedrun"? (as for Colloquial Dutch)
4 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Return to “Language logs”