SC bookkeeping and other language learning whimsy

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Re: SC bookkeeping and other language learning whimsy

Postby Cèid Donn » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:44 pm

Thanks for the links but it's not really want I'm looking for. For dictation I prefer audio (only, no video) that's clearly spoken text without filler words or background sounds. I'm pretty flexible about most materials and resources but with dictation, I'm very old-fashioned, since this is a precision exercise. Also for me to concentrate well enough to be precise, I need materials that don't have distracting elements.

For German there are materials on DW I could use, but the last time I did, the texts I choose were full of political or otherwise technical/specialized vocabulary that made dictating them a bit too frustrating.

I forget about this earlier but I suppose I could also look at SQA past papers. I'm sure there are other certification sites with similar past papers that I could use--I'm just familiar with SQA the most because I've used their past papers for Gaelic/Gàidhlig in the past.
1 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:53 am

At some point I'll update my SCs properly. :lol:

My health bottomed out over Christmas, and I'm slowly recovering. I fell asleep Friday evening after Christmas dinner and didn't wake up until after midnight, so I lost all my Memrise streaks. It's OK, the longest I had was under 120 days. I'm using it as an excuse to take it easy until New Year's Day. I'm not doing any Drops either and my Drops sub expires tomorrow.

I've kept up with Clozemaster, but am doing only a little. I stopped my Arabic and Mandarin courses there because I think I've gotten all I can from them without learning either language more seriously, which I don't have the time to do. I want to master all the sentences in the Galego and Occitan courses that I've started, both are pretty short, and then stop those as well. But I'll keep all the rest for now. I really wish they had a Hawaiian course.

Most of my energy lately has been going into dictation. I am enjoying the relative slow pace of it and just taking my time to do something with some precision. I usually just spend about 90 minutes on one and if I'm not done, I finish it the next day. But it's enough intensive work for one day for me right now, at least until I'm feeling stronger.

The only other thing I've really been working on is watching stuff on Brezhoweb, mostly finishing up Ene(z) and Merc'her beure. They also have an animated Corto Maltese movie dubbed in Breton, Sonann at mor sall based on the original Corto Maltese, Una ballata del mare salato. I read some of the French translations of the original graphic novels ages ago and really loved the artwork and the whole vibe of the main character and his world. I don't remember which volumes they were--a friend from college had lent them to me so eventually I returned them. After I resumed studying French a decade or so later, I looked into getting the French translations for myself at various times, but they have always been outside of my budget or simply not available. But inspired by the Breton dub of Una ballata del mare salato that I've been watching, I hunted around and while the French graphic novels are still too pricey for me (I would prefer to get a physical copy), I did get the French translation of Pratt's novelization of Una ballata del mare salato that he wrote a few years before his death. Once I've finished reading my Verlaine biography I'd read it.

By the way, here's where you can watch this Corto Maltese movie--I'm assuming the original was in Italian:

Italian
French
Breton

I wish I had reason to invest in Italian more so I cold have an excuse to read the Corto Maltese series in the original Italian, but until I find a good reason to do so, I will have to be content with singing along with one of my favorite songs by Mau Mau:

I haven't made any New Year's resolution because honestly, I've been so tired from my little health crisis that I can't think that far ahead. :lol: I have some general idea of wanting to focus more on my advanced languages, and probably learn Belter Creole for fun, and spend some time with Japanese, but nothing too concrete. I signed up for the output challenge with French and Irish because I think I need to do something like that next year, but I don't have a lot of expectations of completing--like with my SCs, I just want to push myself.

I hope everyone's been having a good and safe December. I leave 2020 with this: how to say Happy New Year in a bunch of my TLs:

Feliz año nuevo
Bonne année
Athbhliain faoi mhaise dhuit/daoibh
Bliadhna mhath ùr dhut/dhuibh
(or Bliadhna ùr mhath, if you wish)
Bloavezh mat
Bledhen nowydh da
Blwyddyn newydd dda
Frohes neues Jahr
Gott nytt år
Selamat tahun baru
Maligayang bagong taon
Ngā mihi o te tau hou
Hauʻoli makahiki hou
Chúc mừng năm mới
С новым годом

EDIT: I forget Navajo and Dutch!

Nizhónígo nináánááhai dooleeł
Gelukkig nieuwjaar
7 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:43 am

Salud dit, 2021 ! Ha salud d'an holl amañ !

So, I signed up for the output challenge and it's happening!

I wrote over 1500 words today in French. I'm going to try alternate days between French and Irish.

At the moment I'm postponing the speaking part because the only way I can record myself is on either my tablet or my phone and I don't want to hassle with audio files tucked away in various folders eating up those device's memory, so I will order a new headset with mic for my PC tonight--my last one died shortly after I quit playing MMOs and I've been resistant to replacing it because it makes me think of playing MMOs, but I guess it's time to get over that. I mean, it's been over 2 years. Move on, Cade. :lol:

Anyhow, I really would prefer recording on my PC because I built it for, one, playing computer games :mrgreen: , but also, two, for handling a lot of audio files via very exact system for keeping them organized and backed up on an external drive. By a lot, I mean, really, seriously, a lot. You have no idea. From decades of collecting music and language files. If I didn't keep everything organized I'd never be able to find anything. :lol: Good thing I used to work in a library when I was in grad school, huh?

I posted some resolutions in the 2021 New Year's resolutions thread and I'm quoting it here to remind myself I said this:

1) Not quit language learning. Seems like to good idea to put that first, as it covers a lot of bases. 8-)

2) Keep going with my Super Challenges for French, Spanish, German languages and Celtic languages.

3) Not put off starting my output challenges for French and Irish until February, or March, or September.

4) Create a Navajo Memrise course like I keep threatening to do.

5) Complete various textbooks that I started this past year for Vietnamese, Hawaiian, Tagalog, Russian and Dutch

6) Make time to study Japanese on a weekly, or at least monthly, basis.

7) Learn Belter Creole, thus becoming the living embodiment of this Itchy Feet cartoon:

I'll be starting the Belter Creole Memrise courses tonight, along with resuming my other Memrise courses. As for the Navajo Memrise course, I may not start that before Spring 2021, which is when I plan to do my regular biannual review.

As for my SCs, I started watching Psi on HBO last night, and then this morning I remembered I had nixed Portuguese from my SCs when I split Romance languages into just French and Spanish. :oops: Oh well. I have several series I have started already in those languages I need to finished anyways, but yeah, Psi is a Brazilian series--just FYI for anyone else studying Brazilian Portuguese.

I will try to tally up all the stuff I've watched and read that I haven't added to my SC totals tomorrow, now that the holidays are over and my state of health has improved a bit. But right now I want to squeeze in some time with Stardew Valley before my evening study time. :mrgreen:
6 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:01 am

I cannot fit all my progress bars into my sig, so I will need to keep these in the log. The three in my sig are my double SCs so they will be the ones I spend the most time on.

Germanic : 1285 / 9000 : 148 / 5000
Russian : 1214 / 4500 : 0 / 2500

Unless I missed a more recent post, it looks like I haven't updated my SC progress bars since November 14. :? I should add "Timely updates to my SC progress" to my New Years resolutions. :lol:

I wrote around 800 words of Irish last night, and had to stop because my cats were making it impossible. I know that sounds like an excuse, but really, they're a couple of little terrors when they want to be. They're both Siamese mixes, so you know, they can't help it. ;) It's partly my fault for waiting until late evening, which is when they're at their worst. Anyhow, I got a new notebook (I'll share a pic of it when its companion arrives) and I was typing and then jotting notes in my notebook and they were like, "Ooo, what's mommy doing instead of paying attention to us?" and insisted on knocking stuff down and trying to sit on my brand new notebook. When one of them batted my favorite eraser (I write in pencil mostly) somewhere that I've still yet to locate, I just gave up for the night. :roll:

I wrote about 700 words of French today. I got cut short because my new headset with mic, plus the new keyboard I ordered with it, arrived, which I wasn't expecting as it's Sunday and the estimated arrival date was tomorrow. But I got busy setting that up and making sure it all works. Now I don't feel like writing anything else although I will try to do a dictation in French before going to bed.

Right now, I'm just writing about banal stuff like ordering the headset and spending too much time playing Stardew Valley. When I get into a more solid routine I'll use writing/speaking prompt to push myself to write about more varied topics.

I started the Belter Creole courses on Memrise--one is a "phrasebook" sort of course that is nice because it has phrases from which I can deduce the general syntax and grammar they are using (it reminds me a lot of Tagalog although probably not anywhere nearly as complicated) and the other course seems more like just straight vocabulary. I noticed on the leaderboards nearly all the people seem new to Memrise which I think it pretty cool. I'm all for people getting interested in languages by whatever stokes their curiosity. And as we here all know, once they're through the front door to the world of language learning, they're pretty much trapped forever. :twisted:

SC bookkeeping:

As for my SCs, my Metro 2033 parallel reading in Russian, German and Spanish came to a grinding halt around Christmas. I plan to get back to that this week. I paused reading Dune in Spanish to reread one of my library books because I want to return them soon and check out something else. And shoutout to the Spanish language publisher Destino for printing books with reasonably sized font--so many Spanish books use painfully tiny font and I hate it! :evil: I finished my Verlaine biography and will start the Corto Maltese novel next for French. And for Celtic languages, I'm mostly reading short stories in Gaelic at the moment because they're fast and convenient.

For films/TV/podcast, I have mostly been watching Ros na Rún and stuff on Clic and Brezhoweb for Celtic languages, podcasts of RFI for French and trying to finish up other series I've started.

This is what I've added to my totals that hasn't been previously recorded here already--everything that is recorded this log up to this post is now added to the progress bars:

Celtic:

Ene(z), 4 rann
Corto Maltese : Sonenn ar mor sall
Merc'her beure, 5 rann

Un Bore Mercher, 3 pennod
Rownd a Rownd, 6 pennod

Ros na Rún - 5 éipeasoidí

An tIriseor (athleughadh) - 152 pages

3 sgeulachdan goirid à Còco is Crùbagan - 11 pages
2 sgeulach goirid à Caogad san Fhàsach - 27 pages

French:

RFI appels sur l’actualité, 6 émissions

Verlaine par Jean-Baptiste Baronian

Spanish:

Klaus (audio en español)
Selena (audio en español), 2 episodes

Zelic: la nueva tierra (releer)

Germanic:

Barbaren, 2 Folgen
Babylon Berlin, 1 Folgen

Toon, 2 afleveringen

Russian:

Нюхач, 3 epsidoes
Ведьмак (The Witcher), 1 episode
4 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:29 am

Cèid Donn wrote:
Right now, I'm just writing about banal stuff like ordering the headset and spending too much time playing Stardew Valley. When I get into a more solid routine I'll use writing/speaking prompt to push myself to write about more varied topics.
Gustav put up some interpreter advice yesterday that included some writing exercises.

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 68#p180668

http://interpretertrainingresources.eu/ ... ique-esit/
1 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:39 am

Cèid Donn wrote:I wrote around 800 words of Irish last night, and had to stop because my cats were making it impossible. I know that sounds like an excuse, but really, they're a couple of little terrors when they want to be. They're both Siamese mixes, so you know, they can't help it. ;)
Hahahaha I really enjoyed this part. I love Siamese cats!

Our longhair Siamese mix, aside from being very smart, doesn't act like one at all. While she's vocal (always hungry) she coos instead of yowling. But our (not quite all) white cat (actually a dilute calico) has that Siamese build, long nose, and The Voice. Whoa--when she has something to say, she is LOUD. She chases down pedestrians in front of our house (we're just off a major pedestrian bridge) and SHOUTS at them until they pet her.

Cèid Donn wrote:When one of them batted my favorite eraser (I write in pencil mostly) somewhere that I've still yet to locate, I just gave up for the night. :roll:
As a former lover of pencils, I highly recommend Pilot Frixion erasable gel pens. I switched over after the heartbreak of my favorite mechanical pencil finally going OOP (I had used them ever since engineering school in the '90s, sob).
2 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:08 am

DaveAgain wrote:Gustav put up some interpreter advice yesterday that included some writing exercises.

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 68#p180668

http://interpretertrainingresources.eu/ ... ique-esit/

Thanks, DaveAgain! That should be helpful. :)

tangleweeds wrote:Our longhair Siamese mix, aside from being very smart, doesn't act like one at all. While she's vocal (always hungry) she coos instead of yowling. But our (not quite all) white cat (actually a dilute calico) has that Siamese build, long nose, and The Voice. Whoa--when she has something to say, she is LOUD. She chases down pedestrians in front of our house (we're just off a major pedestrian bridge) and SHOUTS at them until they pet her.

When I was in college I had a black and white tuxedo cat that was very certainly part Siamese because she was built like one, acted like one and sounded like one. But she wasn't at all interested in other people--she was an one-person cat, and she was 100% Siamese-esque drama all the time. Her name was Satan, if that's any clue what she was like. :lol: I adored her and she adored me, even if she was the kind of antisocial "guard cat" who once scared a burly Houston policeman who knocked my door to ask about a neighbor. And that's just one of my many stories about that cat. :mrgreen:

I saw your pics with your cats in the notebook thread and thought they looked a little similar to my pair.

Ignore how ratty and old that ottoman is--it's an old thing we let the cats have that keeps them off the chairs in the TV room. :D

Xander, the mostly white one, has blue eyes and what spots he has on him show he has the pointed color gene (his spots got darker with age--they were a sandy blonde when he was a kitten, now they're a dark Lynx point color). He had to have nearly all his teeth removed when he was 1 year old because he had a severe case of stomatitis, which disproportionately affects Siamese as well as certain other purebred breeds (which is why his jaw look a little weirdly set--having lived most of his life without molars, his jaw muscles have atrophied and his jaw droops a lot of the time). The seal point bicolor one, Buster, has the "oriental" built with the long body and wedge head--it's just covered in a lot of fur. But neither of them have a loud voice. Xander has a very kitten-ish voice, although he does like to have lengthy conversations with me, and Buster only cries when he's really hungry but he has the loudest purr I've ever heard from a domestic cat. Xander was feral-born so he's a little skittish around strangers, but Buster's super social and has endeared himself to all my mom's old lady friends, some of whom drop off presents for him from time to time and one even sent him a Christmas card this (past) year! :lol:

As a former lover of pencils, I highly recommend Pilot Frixion erasable gel pens. I switched over after the heartbreak of my favorite mechanical pencil finally going OOP (I had used them ever since engineering school in the '90s, sob).

I'll look into those! I use Pentel Quicker Clicker pencils that I've used for years and years, but you can't get quality eraser replacements for them anymore so I use those black triangle Prismacolor erasers, that no store around here carries anymore so I have to order them online. That is the eraser Xander "lost" the other night and it was my last one. :evil:

I didn't do a lot today with languages because I had to take my dog to the vet for her annual check up and shots, after which I had to do a few errands for my mom, and that threw my daily schedule out of whack. I did record a little of me speaking Irish. I just talked about taking my dog to the vet and butchered a ton of Irish vocabulary. :lol: But you know, it's a start.
5 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:15 pm

In my post above I made a mildly amusing typo: instead of the verb droops, I wrote the noun drupes, which is the English word for the groups of fruits that include most fleshy fruits with pits, such as cherries, peaches and mangos, and some nuts, like almonds and cashews. Oh, English and your ridiculous number of homophones. :P Anyhow I wanted to point that out because I know there a number of English learners here and it's now corrected in my post.

But I think that goof may have been my unconscious brain at work--just before writing that post, my mom and I were watching the Kids Baking Championship and the kid contestants had to make cakes and decorate them with natural ingredients to make a garden scene. The winner made a mango flavored cake that I would have devoured in a heartbeat, because I love fruit and fruit-flavor cakes and confections of all sorts, and the loser had pitted a batch cherries for his cake, so I might have had drupes on the mind. :D

I worked a bit on Vietnamese today. I'm on chapter 8 in TYV, if I remember correctly, but since it's been a while since I looked at it, I spent about 90 minutes rereading through earlier chapters. I also reviewed phonology and the Vietnamese alphabet. After that I worked on my OC for French.

Aside from Clozemaster and Memrise that's all I'm doing today because today is New Episode of The Expanse Season 5 Day. Technically the new episodes come out on Wednesday at 00:00 UTC, which is in 3 hours (5 PM my time). Fortunately for my studies and unfortunately for the sci fi fan in me, there's only 4 more episodes after tonight's.

OC progress

French: 24 minutes total, speaking

In the first portion, I said "Je veux pas faire..." a lot. Talked about how I'm not feeling well today and about how our dishwasher wasn't draining properly this morning. I struggled to remember how to say "dishwasher" in French, so I might have said "le lave-quelque-chose" a couple of times. In the second portion, I talked about learning Vietnamese and how I knew a lot of Vietnamese immigrants who also spoke some French when I lived in Houston.

SC Progress

Spanish:

30 Monedas, primer episodio

Guau, este no es beuno. Tema muy ridículo. Probablemente voy a ver más episodios. :lol:
3 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:00 pm

Cèid Donn wrote:
the heartbreak of my favorite mechanical pencil finally going OOP (I had used them ever since engineering school in the '90s, sob).
I use Pentel Quicker Clicker pencils that I've used for years and years, but you can't get quality eraser replacements for them anymore .
Yes, the Pentel Quicker Clicker was my fave too!! But I couldn't use them anymore after they "upgraded" to those huge rubbery grips. I had gotten a Costco pack at one point and bulk refills from Amazon at another, so I was alright for a long time, but gradually they broke or disappeared one by one.

So, lured in by the original line of erasable highlighters, I ended up switching over to the Pilot Frixion gel pens shortly after they came out. I used to have to order them all from Japan, but most are now available here in English language packaging and everything.

ETA: Pretty kitties!
2 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:10 pm

I remember the older Quicker Clickers. The ones I have are at least 10 years old and they all have the rubber grips, which, unlike the erasers that are all dried out, hard and useless now, have held up to time and frequent use really well. Since the pencils themselves are still working perfectly fine, I'd like to keep using them--it's the eraser issue that's a pain for me. I personally like the grip--I have dysgraphia that cause my hand muscles to get tired and hurt after writing for a while, and the grip helps with that, especially now that my dysgraphia symptoms have gotten worse with age. But to each their own. I've order a 3-pack of the Frixion pens--it's hard to tell from the picture but they look like they may work for me.

Well, yesterday was a day. Looking at you, my country, 'tis a thee. :?

Earlier in the day yesterday, I had to the house to myself, which is a rarity these days, and I spent nearly all that time reading Corto Maltese : La ballade de la mer. It's a great read so far--very accessible for an advance French learner but also very vocabulary-rich and the story is very entertaining. Pratt seemed to really relish describing things and I just love it. :lol:

This morning, in addition to doing my OC, I did the work with Vietnamese I meant to do yesterday, except for Clozemaster. I got some Clozemaster work done yesterday, more than the bare minimum which I have been doing a lot lately, but by the time I got to the Vietnamese course my energy had petered out, so I just did enough to get my baseline 32 points to keep my streak. I will try to work on that first when I do my Clozemaster work for today, but this morning I finished reviewing TYV up to chapter 8.

I have decided that with the languages I'm rotating--basically any language that's not part of my OC or SC--I will spend spend at least 2 consecutive days on before moving to the next language, and I will try to not work on more than 2 of these languages in one day. I don't have a firm schedule beyond that, but right now those languages include Vietnamese, Hawaiian, Tagalog, Japanese and Dutch. Other languages I might slip into this rotation on occasional include Swedish, Maori and Navajo. I might add Portuguese to this mix later, but right now my motivation with it is zilch. Belter Creole, because it's just something I'm doing for fun and not for more serious study (at least, not right now :mrgreen: ) doesn't count here.

OC Progress

For Irish, I wrote 63 sentences, a total of 511 words, to be added to my Cloze-collections once I'm in the mood with deal with the Cloze-collection UI. :?

I then wrote an addition 820 words about the musical instruments I own, which is quite a few, honestly.

SC Progress

For French I read around 140 pages of Corto Maltese : La ballade de la mer yestreday, and this evening I plan to resume my parallel reading on Metro 2033 and hopefully finish chapter 5.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”