Back to the roots and water them with coffee

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Back to the roots and water them with coffee

Postby rdearman » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:54 am

Congratulations. :D :!:
5 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:04 am

That's great news! Congratulations. :-)
4 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:16 am

Congratulations! And hopefully you will have more congratulations next week as well!
3 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:17 pm

¡Enhorabuena, Cavesa! ¡Muchas felicidades!
4 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:38 pm

Toutes mes félicitations!
3 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:31 pm

Very happy for you. It sounds quite promising. :)
3 x

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Postby tractor » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:36 pm

Congratulations!
2 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:02 pm

Congratulations! Enhorabuena! Glückwunsch!
3 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:35 pm

Cavesa wrote:I love Language Learning with Netflix. It is tempting though to fall for the trap of trying to save everything for Anki. I cannot afford to spread myself among too many SRS platforms and sources. It is also not needed, I need to remind myself than just watching worked just fine in the past.

It's great that I now have the double subtitles, and they are not in the main picture, which really helps. For now, I am listening, it automatically stops after every line of subtitles, so I can read them in peace and read the English translation as needed. The only thing I really miss about this simple use of the tool: I would like a much smaller font for English, to not attract my attention and really be there just in case of need, hopefully less and less.

But not having the subtitles in the main picture, that is already awesome and it really helps with the usual complaint "but subtitles turn the listening practice into just reading practice". And I think I am starting to understand a bit better!!! I'm looking forward to the point at which I'll turn off the video stopping feature. But for now, it's really extremely helpful, much more than trying to slow the audio down (which is much more unnatural, and it is also annoying).

They also have paid features, which I haven't decided for yet. But they plan to use the money also at solving another usual issue: the difference between the dubbing and subtitles, due to them coming from two different translations. They want to hire people to transcribe the dubbings.

Now I just need this to work for other platforms too (yeah, there are tons of stuff on Netflix. But it's not the only thing in existence). And outlawing of the geoblocking, to get all the dubbings and all the Netflix content (will come handy, when I finally get to start Hebrew. It is a bit sad, that I need to postpone this again).

One of the makers of Language Learning with Netflix (also Language Learning with Youtube ) is the author of LingoPlayer. It no longer works with online translation. But offline it still has some of the features you mention: the two subtitles, both at the bottom, the second subtitles being very small, you can stop the video easily, move the subtitle lines forwards or backwards independently.

There is a large source of German TV material accessible with "MediathekView" (https://mediathekview.de). You can search for the material you prefer and download it, often there are subtitles, too. https://translatesubtitles.co/index.php will give you a translation of the original subtitles. LingoPlayer will play all of it.

https://oaprograms.github.io/lingo-player/
5 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:34 pm

Thank you all! We are happy about our decision and finally trying to live a bit more like we've wanted (before the covidworld).

Unfortunately, the jobs news are bad. I was even incapable of posting, because every previous attempt became a very ugly rant.

The problem is not only that they didn't take me. That happens. But I am so fed up with all the lies, postponing, changes of the rules, lack of transparency, and so on. Every week matters, when you need to decide whether to do expensive paperwork elsewhere or not. Fortunately, I really hate Belgium by now, so I am not really sad about not getting the opportunity to do the my residency here (I am still much more sad about not having earned the opportunity in a good specialty in France. But really, psychiatry was too horrible for me, and the other options I had were no more appetizing).

I am ending the German experiment, I am failing because I hate German. And every time I imagine living in Germany, I feel angry or sad. Many others dream of Germany but for me it is the synonyme of my failure. The country really isn't attractive for me. I am unable to learn a langauge I really dislike for 6 hours a day, even 3 were hard. And I dislike it so much, that I don't even feel like watching Star Trek anymore, and I had been pretty addicted to it until I switched it to German :-D No offense meant to the Germans in this community! I am just not compatible with the country, just like I understand why many people are not compatible with others.

So, I am now fighting the battle with the (very expensive and annoying) Swiss paperwork. It's not easy (but the fact we are now engaged is removing a part of my worries about moving to a non EU country). It may easily be too late with their delays (and at this point, even one week too late means six months of delay of the residency). The Swiss are also strictly demanding an illegal document (in most countries, including mine, you cannot make an officially recognized copy of your ID). And I have to take a new French exam. Because the exam has to be no older than 6 years, and my DALF C2 is six years and two months old. And it matters, not even my work experience in France changes anything. I asked. So, I am now preparing another round of spending to get the only July TCF in the world, I'll be travelling even more than I'd like in the next few weeks.

But I am hopeful this will be a good choice. Now I have the stress with the paperwork, but then I hope to find a job. At least in the Switzerland, I can really send my CV to tons of hospitals, I am not obliged to bet everything on one card, judged by one comittee. And I may want to add Italian C1 exam or perhaps even the German one later, to improve my chances of getting the jobs I need in order to get through the residency. I am likely to be happier in the Swiss system. It is less comfortable than the French one, you have fewer guarantees, but it offers much more freedom and opportunities. And it should be much more fair than the Belge one.

But for now, it is one pile of paperwork that I need to focus on.

And the TCF. I need to register for that, get my plane tickets, bus tickets, hotel for one night, reschedule my vaccination, reschedule everything.

I've just tried the online mock test. It ended in the half, because I have just mobile internet now, because of the floods (yes, there were floods in this city too this week. Not in my street fortunately). But I can tell you that I am a bit angry. The highest DALF was supposed to guarantee I'd never have to take a French exam again, it is valid for life, it is the highest exam available. Nope. And I am annoyed. The TCF exam is also boring. I might lose some points, because some of the comprehension questions I've seen are really a bit more about "what does the exam maker think" (such as "what is the most important point in the short dialogue". I could argue for two options sometimes. The key is probably not to think too much). And I haven't found samples of the writing and speaking part (they appear not obligatory for the Swiss authorities, but it looks like the hospitals want that. It's hard to deduce anything, when the lady on the main info line doesn't really know.)
18 x

Return to “Language logs”