Back to the roots and water them with coffee

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: Back to the roots and water them with coffee

Postby Le Baron » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:05 pm

rdearman wrote:
Le Baron wrote: I don't like Simple Minds so I don't have to wrestle with that problem.

Philistine

:lol: Ha! They are rubbish though aren't they? Living on the strength of one 'anthem-like' song because people like waving lighters to it and you don't have to know any actual words!
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:09 pm

If you are interested in Die Zwerge (and the following books) by Markus Heitz, then you may also look at Die Elfen (and the following books) bei Bernhard Hennen. The worlds are somehow connected, but with a different focus. There seem to be even more books like that form different authors (I didn’t know… because I never read any of those… :oops: )
Otherwise I would add Kai Mayer to the list (e.g. Die Seiten der Welt trilogy).
I know there’s more, but I’ll have to think a bit more, or ask a friend… At least I know who to ask. :)

Now continuing from books to humor, I’ll recommend to take a look at Mieses Karma by David Safier.
As audiobook (read by the author) Die Känguru-Chroniken by Marc-Uwe Kling. Here the first chapter.
Seems to be also available as a normal book, but I recommend the audiobook, because of the intonation and such.

Stuff on youtube (with more or less humor):
- Coldmirror. Probably most popular German youtuber before the word youtuber existed. Especially known for resychronising the Harry Potter movies in her own way. But there’s lot’s of other stuff as well. Here’s a video rewriting the book two with the help of some robot.
- Hazel Brugger. Here a video from the series ”Deutschland was geht?”, where they are trying to find some extraordinary places in Germany. It’s rather serious compared to her other content. Note: In some videos she uses a few sentences of Swiss German, too. But that should not be too much of a problem.
- Nico Semsrott, now member of the European Parliament, so current content is about that. An example of the style before.

- Mailab - a science channel (serious). Could be interesting in order to get some different vocabulary etc. The team takes really some effort to search for studies etc. It’s pretty popular right now.

Music: Internationally well known are of course Rammstein.
In Germany I’d say Die Toten Hosen and Die Ärzte are/were even more popular. Some songs of those bands are probably known by almost everyone of our generation. So it may make sense to get to know those bands, just because of that. In case of die Toten Hosen one of them would be Hier kommt Alex, but also Paradies (live) or 10 kleine Jägermeister and in the case of Die Ärzte Schrei nach Liebe or Männer sind Schweine.

There’s some nice medevial folk rock and similar genres in German, if you’r up for this. (Bands such as Saltatio Mortis (Prometheus), Feuerschwanz (Hurra, hurra die Pest ist da) , Subway to Sally (Sieben), Faun (Diese kalte Nacht) , Schandmaul (Walpurgisnacht) and many more…)

Another song that I might interesting to mention, but that doesn’t fit to my other categories.
Knorkator – Wie weit ist es bis zum Horizont

Here some songs in German that made it to the charts, that I remember from my time in school.
Wir sind Helden - Denkmal
Juli – Die perfekte Welle
Christina Stürmer – Ich lebe

I hope there’s at least something interesting for you and if not for you, then for some other users here.
12 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Nogon
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), Swedish (C), English (?), French (A2), Esperanto (A2). Reading Danish, Norwegian, Dutch, Afrikaans. Wanting to learn Polish, Yiddish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16039

Postby Nogon » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:13 pm

Cavesa wrote:In scifi, I am right now in love of the space opera genre, but still enjoy cyberpunk or more general scifi. Haven't found a German author yet. Or even steampunk.

I don't read much SF anymore, so I haven't read these German authors, but I've heard that they are quite popular:
Andreas Eschbach might be the internationally best known German SF author. He has written lots of books, many of which have been translated into several languages.
Andreas Brandhorst not only translated Terry Pratchett to German, but even wrote some SF. I actually own two books of his Graken-trilogy but still havn't read them. I believe they are Space Opera.
Last edited by Nogon on Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Assimil French : 65 / 113
Active wave : 15 / 113

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:17 pm

I can second Max Raabe. That's some great music.

For some pure vocal act, perhaps something like Wise Guys? (Here's a Britney cover - in German.)
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:29 am

There's probably a lot I forgot to mention.
At least I'd like to add another triology + first book as a movie: Mara und der Feuerbringer. Probably not too easy to find anywhere, but the only German fantasy movie I could think of, that I have seen in the recent years.
2 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:36 am

Deutschland 83/86/89 are very well done and worth watching.
3 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:49 am

Thank you all, this is all exactly what I needed. I've taken notes and will get me some books!

During my recent visit of Prague, I vited also my stored personal library in boxes. I really want a more stable home (which depends on a stable job), where I can have my personal library,this is horrible. Of course I didn't find all I needed, but at least some things. Including a few books in German, like the three volumes of Eragon. Should be nice for start, or I hope to find epubs of the Sookie Stackhouse novels to use on Readlang. These should be accessible and it's been long enough since I've read them, to enjoy them again. But native books are definitely more motivating!

Thanks, I am really starting to look forward to the fantasy books!

Still exploring the music tips. I am afraid the Palast Orchester is not my cup of tea, but perhaps some other songs will help.
Funny, that I totally forgot about Rammstein, my bf really likes them, I am not that fond of them.
Wir Sind Helden are very promising, I like what I've heard so much. Not excited, but it's good.
And I remebered Nena, 99 Luftballons :-D
And yes,I know Faun, it's a good band. Again, I need a specific mood for this kind of music (I used to listen to such stuff much more, when I was a teen.)

A German Grammar Terminology Problem: numbers of the cases. You know, I'd love to stick to the pretty clear names Akkusativ and Dativ. I'd love to. But publishers of coursebooks and grammars think otherwise. They use sometimes numbers instead. The third case, and the fourth case. (The second being Genitiv). The problem is, that they don't always agree which is which, and they also introduce them in various order. Or perhaps they do agree, but they've confused me too much already. And I cannot just let this be, because I need to use one of the number using resources, as I also do a bit of "tutoring" or "co-suffering" with my little sister (nope, language learning at school is never easy for my family. It is always a path of many failures and suffering, with unsure results :-D ). I think the 4th is the Dativ and the 3rd is Akkuzativ. But I am no longer sure of absolutely anything at all. And if I don't want to leave my little sister abandonned during a rather stressful time, I have to use the terminology used by her resources.
3 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:38 pm

Since you're interested in YA books, there are a lot of great ones that were originally written in German. My main reason for picking German over Italian was that I learned that one of my favorite books when I was growing up, The Neverending Story by Michael Ende, was originally written in German (Die unendliche Geschichte), so now I have a copy lying around waiting for my German to get a bit better. He had also written many other well regarded books, including Momo. I've also heard good things about the Inkheart (Tintenherz) trilogy by Cornelia Funke.

There are also plenty of older famous children's novels that were written in German, including Heidi, Bambi, The Swiss Family Robinson (Der Schweizerische Robinson), and Maya the Bee (Die Biene Maja).

For a lower reading level, The Rainbow Fish (Der Regenbogenfisch) by Marcus Pfister was the first book I ever read in German, and Janosch's Bär und Tiger books are also very cute, similar to Winnie-the-Pooh.
9 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Nogon
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), Swedish (C), English (?), French (A2), Esperanto (A2). Reading Danish, Norwegian, Dutch, Afrikaans. Wanting to learn Polish, Yiddish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16039

Postby Nogon » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:44 pm

Cavesa wrote:A German Grammar Terminology Problem: numbers of the cases. You know, I'd love to stick to the pretty clear names Akkusativ and Dativ. [...] I think the 4th is the Dativ and the 3rd is Akkuzativ. But I am no longer sure of absolutely anything at all.

When I went to school in Germany many years ago, we learned about cases in (I think) third grade. Then, the teacher didn't use the latin terminology but German words.
The cases were:
1. Fall - Nominativ
2. Fall - Genitiv
3. Fall - Dativ
4. Fall - Akkusativ

(I still think that that is the "natural" order ;) of cases and get perplexed when any other order is used. I know that for example Iversen (for good reasons) puts the accusative in second place, but NOOOO - that is just WRONG, the little child inside me screams!)
4 x
Assimil French : 65 / 113
Active wave : 15 / 113

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:20 pm

Nogon wrote:
Cavesa wrote:A German Grammar Terminology Problem: numbers of the cases. You know, I'd love to stick to the pretty clear names Akkusativ and Dativ. [...] I think the 4th is the Dativ and the 3rd is Akkuzativ. But I am no longer sure of absolutely anything at all.

When I went to school in Germany many years ago, we learned about cases in (I think) third grade. Then, the teacher didn't use the latin terminology but German words.
The cases were:
1. Fall - Nominativ
2. Fall - Genitiv
3. Fall - Dativ
4. Fall - Akkusativ

(I still think that that is the "natural" order ;) of cases and get perplexed when any other order is used. I know that for example Iversen (for good reasons) puts the accusative in second place, but NOOOO - that is just WRONG, the little child inside me screams!)

The Americans have your back. The Danes, the French and the Brits however cannot be trusted…

https://latin.stackexchange.com/questio ... -the-cases
2 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Return to “Language logs”