Serpent's cyclic log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
language2015
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N) French (A0) Spanish (A0)

Re: Serpent's cyclic log

Postby language2015 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:12 am

Congrats Serpent!

Hopefully that language program will be of some help for you. Lol.

But on to more important things, like football.

Watched a bit of champions league? Best team in Europe?
1 x
Why did I decide to become a polyglot when I knew I am a super lazy student?!?

Anki or Die

: 700 / 10000 Mine 10,000+ Spanish Sentences
: 700 / 10000 Mine 10,000+ French Sentences
: 80 / 10000 Anki All Of It

Sofia
White Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (C2), Spanish (C1), German (B1/B2), Japanese (beginner), Swedish (beginner)

Postby Sofia » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:43 am

Brun Ugle wrote:I have the same problem with the 6WC. I never include things like reading Facebook, Twitter or surfing the net even though I do it in multiple languages, including my target language for the 6WC. It's just too hard to keep track of. I also never include Norwegian stuff because I don't feel that I'm really studying it, although I suppose I do still occasionally learn something.

I'm terrible at updating the 6WC/Super Challenge as well! As long as I have to update my learning log file everything is good, but when it comes to post those updates online…well I miserably fail. Every time I participated I left out a lot of stuff because I either forgot to post it or wasn't able to post in on time -.-
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:11 am

Sofia wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:I have the same problem with the 6WC. I never include things like reading Facebook, Twitter or surfing the net even though I do it in multiple languages, including my target language for the 6WC. It's just too hard to keep track of. I also never include Norwegian stuff because I don't feel that I'm really studying it, although I suppose I do still occasionally learn something.

I'm terrible at updating the 6WC/Super Challenge as well! As long as I have to update my learning log file everything is good, but when it comes to post those updates online…well I miserably fail. Every time I participated I left out a lot of stuff because I either forgot to post it or wasn't able to post in on time -.-

I don't have much trouble posting when I actually study intentionally, whether that means grammar exercises or just watching a TV show. It's very easy to post those now that I have a tablet because I can post as soon as I'm done usually. My problem is that I can't be bothered to try and figure out how much time I'm using on each language when they are mixed together like on Facebook. And then sometimes I might be on Facebook or e-mail and follow a link and end up reading an article in German and not even notice until afterwards. If I set out to read an article in German, then I set my stopwatch and it's no problem. The problem comes when I just go to check my e-mail and half an hour later I realize I'm reading in German and haven't been timing it. I just don't worry about those things. I look at the 6WC as just a fun and easy way to keep track of how much I study. I know that not all my studying gets recorded, but that's not really the point for me. The point for me is that I generally do more than I probably would otherwise.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:57 am

Well there's the #multilingual tag for this. i generally try to figure out how much time i spent reading in my main 6WC language and post the rest as multilingual. this month i've even started listing football as 6 hours #multilingual sometimes rather than specifying which language each match was in :shock:
i'm quite good at guesstimating the time actually, i've just kinda lost the motivation to do it every day, and then it's hard to remember/bother.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Postby Serpent » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:07 pm

but for the worst case scenario i do have the tag combo of #multilingual #misc :lol:
0 x
Corrections welcome

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:50 pm

language2015 wrote:Congrats Serpent!

Hopefully that language program will be of some help for you. Lol.

But on to more important things, like football.

Watched a bit of champions league? Best team in Europe?

Hehe a bit... I generally want to watch almost everything :D
I really hope RM can win it again. wouldn't mind PSG either.
still broken after yesterday's defeat vs atlético btw :cry: :|
1 x
Corrections welcome

kujichagulia
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (intermediate), Portuguese (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=858

Postby kujichagulia » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:44 am

Serpent wrote:I got accepted btw. I've been on a newspaper cover, on afisha.ru main page and there should be more links coming :)

Let me guess... in that afisha.ru video you are wearing the black shirt with Adidas stripes. :D
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:26 pm

2 x
Corrections welcome

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:08 pm

kujichagulia wrote:
Serpent wrote:I got accepted btw. I've been on a newspaper cover, on afisha.ru main page and there should be more links coming :)

Let me guess... in that afisha.ru video you are wearing the black shirt with Adidas stripes. :D
Yes, that's this Euro 2012 t-shirt :D Love this logo.
varsova.jpg
In other news, I've updated Italian to basic fluency on the old forum and it feels surprisingly important :D

Belarusian class is going fine, I guess. One thing I've realized is how my annoyance at textbooks corresponds so perfectly to the timing of my empowerment as a feminist. I didn't think of it explicitly but omg there's so much sexism in textbooks and example sentences, I mean beyond the Pimsleur flirting crap. And I wish I could say stereotypes are useless, but I can see how when you're a beginner and barely remember your vocab, it's easier when women in examples/exercises do stuff like cooking, singing, playing the piano, while men work, do sports and do things to/with women.
I mean, I don't think my teacher would describe himself as feminist but he's quite a modern guy, and I can see that he deliberately made sure to have girls in the texts and dialogues. They're just too stereotypical :| And of course he didn't pay attention to whether they were the subjects or objects of sentences, or didn't think of the larger implications.

Now that I know though, obviously I can allow myself to skip sexist sentences. Maybe I'll eventually start using grammar books more :shock: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
Corrections welcome

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Mon May 02, 2016 4:25 am

I meant to post about my trip to Finland but it's been more than a month :shock:
Let me just post these pics of the books I picked from the hotel's library (and didn't read). The one about Serbia had a handwritten note in it. I can't read what it says, other than у Перунки; у знак. Interestingly, the hotel's correct name is Peurunka, but my mum and grandma have been calling it Perunka too. I guess that feels more Slavic, especially with the pagan god Perun :D
0 x
Corrections welcome

Return to “Language logs”