Serpent's cyclic log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: Serpent's cyclic log

Postby Serpent » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:36 am

I know what it means :P Thanks for confirming that it's less rude than figa.
I do know at least one song where it's used.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Postby Serpent » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:01 am

Serpent wrote:Selling some language books (scroll for more). Also some non-language stuff
I still haven't sold much but thought I'd make a list of new additions to my active L1 vocabulary. Feel free to ask for explanations.

First, some words I obviously knew but don't use in my daily life. I only used them in my descriptions for the sake of search results. They're standard Russian, but not part of my native Russian.

(шейный) платок - шарфик (for me платок is a handkerchief (носовой платок), though I hardly use these anymore :lol:)
(ночная) сорочка - ночная рубашка
топ - майка
блузка, блуза - кофточка
пиджак-куртка - куртка
футляр - коробка, коробочка
паттерн, принт - узор (okay this is more about sounding trendy)
кухонное полотенце - ???
утеплённые - тёплые

New to me and standard only in online reselling communities:
пересыл - пересылка, отправка
замеры - длина/расстояние/отсюда до сюда :lol:

It was also relieving to chat about bras recently and call them лифчик instead of бюстгальтер :lol: I hesitated for a moment because I rarely use the word in writing. (бюст[ик] is another colloquial form btw)

Some words/expressions I never needed before are горловина, кулиска, мягкие пуговицы, ластовица, полупоролон, плиссе/плиссированный, жатый трикотаж, стёганые, штекер, пэтчворк

Some words I can't bring myself to use are подвеска (кулон), пуссеты, волан, трусики, держатель (подставка), отливант (don't really get how this works either).

Some words that feel a bit fancy or awkward but not as unnatural as the previous list(s): исправная нарядные изящный вышитый салатовая позолота шаль слип козырёк лоскуты пряжка

Previously I've used бирка and этикетка interchangeably, perhaps because I often remove both, but afaiu the former is the durable label with things like size, washing instructions, material, attached at the factory etc, while the latter is a price tag, often with store-specific information/marketing stuff. Wow, I never noticed the difference in English or other languages :lol: (As you can see, both are loan words)

Атрибутика has always been a synonym of merchandise to me (fan products associated with a specific band, person, team etc), but I've seen others use it about entire subcultures, like рок-атрибутика, панк-атрибутика.

I also learned some words for different kinds of jackets and coats back when Clare posted about that :lol:
5 x
Corrections welcome

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:03 pm

Serpent wrote:the current word dick is ruining is hren. it means horseradish but people often chuckle/blush when they use it, and the other meaning is used as a pun in marketing etc.

A few years ago I kept seeing хз in VK chats and finally asked what it meant. Originally, хрен знает, but now of course, хуй знает.

To me the "fig" has always seemed like a cutesier way of cursing, just like блин to its more foul cousin. e.g. нифига себе, нихуя себе - офигенно, охуенно.
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:12 am

I've been reading about decluttering and it's cool how many concepts overlap with language learning, such as "Methods don’t clean your house. You have to clean your house".

https://www.additudemag.com/how-to-make ... dult-adhd/
https://www.aslobcomesclean.com/2015/04 ... rd-pauses/ *

* I've not seen anything problematic on her blog but this month she's taking part in an event at chick-fil-a. in case you want to know that before browsing her (addictive) content. please no responses to this part
6 x
Corrections welcome

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:42 pm

So true! Goes for many things. But sometimes reading up on methods is so addictive :lol:
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:05 pm

Definitely in my top 5 of Russian/Slavic native speakers' English accents https://www.euromag.ru/politics/kapitan ... j-zvezdoj/

The rest of my top 5: espejismo, another friend, and two of the 25+ English teachers I've had. (Again, only speaking of the accent here)
2 x
Corrections welcome

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:10 pm

Serpent wrote:I've been reading about decluttering and it's cool how many concepts overlap with language learning, such as "Methods don’t clean your house. You have to clean your house".

This decluttering site is one of my favorites (it looks like they've revamped it recently). That site helped me a lot when my apartment was a disaster and I felt too exhausted and unmotivated to do anything about it. Now that you mention it, there are a lot of similarities with language learning; in the UfYH Fundamentals section, they discuss doing a little bit at a time and taking a break (pomodoro style) rather than trying to marathon clean + organize which just leads to exhaustion and burnout. They stress doing a little bit every day instead of a monumental effort once a week because it's easier to be consistent that way.
3 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:09 pm

Serpent wrote:Definitely in my top 5 of Russian/Slavic native speakers' English accents https://www.euromag.ru/politics/kapitan ... j-zvezdoj/

I finally got around to listening to this and his accent sounds Irish to me :? I definitely wouldn't have guessed that he was Russian if that hadn't been clear from the context.
2 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:53 pm

Glad it's not just me :D Honestly my impulse was to say that's the best accent I've heard from a Russian/Slavic speaker, but after 2-3 listens I seemed to be noticing some minor giveaways (though I'm not so familiar with Irish accents).

Not sure if you've read the article, it says he went to college in Dublin and played rugby for the local club.
1 x
Corrections welcome

Olekander
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (Native), French, Russian.
Studied: Latin, Catalan, Spanish, Mandarin, Czech, Ukrainian

Studying: Turkish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2995

Postby Olekander » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:03 pm

wow loved listening to that!! The expression he's used as well are wonderful for a l2 speaker. If anyone was wondering about what a c2 looks and feels like, there ya go xD

also В прошлом году капитан добрался до Ирландии из Красноярска на автомобиле, чтобы посмотреть игру команды своего колледжа.

That takes effort :lol:
2 x
Да нет. :roll:

: 1000 / 1000 1,000 Russian words: started 15/06/2016 :)
: 15 / 365 365 scriptorium transcriptions: started 19/06/2016
: 2 / 1010 Russian books: 4/06/2016
: 3 / 2121 units of Parla.cat

Return to “Language logs”