AroAro's log (languages, books, certificates)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Re: AroAro's log Pусский and עברית

Postby cjareck » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:06 pm

AroAro wrote: I just can’t bring myself to learn a huge amount of Hebrew words to expand my vocabulary because I forget them quickly anyway and I mess them up.

Perhaps you should always check the root to better understand the word better and deeper. It could prevent messing them up. At least between different roots.
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

AroAro
Green Belt
Languages: • Native - Polish
• Certified - C1: French, Italian, Romanian; B2: English, German
• Estimate - B2: Russian; B1: Bulgarian
• Learning - Czech, Hebrew
• Dabbled in - eo, la, uk, sw, lt, oc
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... d80b60a5e9

Postby AroAro » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:12 am

cjareck wrote:
AroAro wrote: I just can’t bring myself to learn a huge amount of Hebrew words to expand my vocabulary because I forget them quickly anyway and I mess them up.

Perhaps you should always check the root to better understand the word better and deeper. It could prevent messing them up. At least between different roots.

Yes, sure, I recognize sometimes the same root shared by different words but my problem is that it seems to me that half of Hebrew words start with the letter "מ" and that's why I tend to mess them up. Once I finish the Memrise course, I plan to do the goldlist method based on the vocabulary I've learned so far and make sure I know them by heart before I go back Hebrew in 2023.
1 x
corrections are welcome

Ezra
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C1),
In use: French, Spanish, Latin, Classical Hebrew
Studying: Classical Chinese, Italian, German, Japanese, Ancient Greek
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=8792

Postby Ezra » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:30 am

AroAro wrote:Yes, sure, I recognize sometimes the same root shared by different words but my problem is that it seems to me that half of Hebrew words start with the letter "מ" and that's why I tend to mess them up.

The reason is than מ is also used for:

1) as a preposition "from" which joins the word
2) certain template(s) (binyan) use מ as a first word (say, מֶמְשָׁלָה, root (מְשָׁלָ), or משטרה, root שטר).

So a lot of word might begin with מ, but not necessarily this מ is a part of root :).
2 x

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:32 am

WEEKLY UPDATE

Russian - lesson 45 of "Perfectionnement Russe"

Hebrew - lesson 36 of "40 leçons pour parler hébreu", 425/623 words learned in Memrise

Reading - I read Doris Lessing's "The Fifth Child" and it was a very captivating and... terrifying book if I can say so. She laid bare the fear of most parents, that their child will be what they never expected it to be. Lessing wrote a sequel called "Ben, In the World" but most reviewers on goodreads warn not to read it if you really liked "The Fifth Child" so I'll probably skip that one. One of the things that struck me in the book were the scenes where the mother looks straight into the eyes of the child to detect the slightest trace of "humanity" in her child, because she is unsure if it sees the world the way "normal people" do. A very similar scene can be found in the film "Under the Skin" (one of my favourite of all time) - the alien (played by Scarlett Johansson) is inspected by her supervisor who wants to make sure she does not show any signs of "humanness" in her eyes. I wonder if the director of the movie was inspired by Lessing because this scene was definitely not in Michel Faber's book on which the movie is based.
Now, it's time for "His Bloody Project".
Last edited by AroAro on Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
corrections are welcome

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:39 am

Ezra wrote:
AroAro wrote:Yes, sure, I recognize sometimes the same root shared by different words but my problem is that it seems to me that half of Hebrew words start with the letter "מ" and that's why I tend to mess them up.

The reason is than מ is also used for:

1) as a preposition "from" which joins the word
2) certain template(s) (binyan) use מ as a first word (say, מֶמְשָׁלָה, root (מְשָׁלָ), or משטרה, root שטר).

So a lot of word might begin with מ, but not necessarily this מ is a part of root :).

You're right, I should've been more precise - "מ" is used in verb conjugations and also quite often to create a substantive based on a root. So when I have a list of several substantives starting with "מ", my brain says simply "no, not this time" because I just cannot remember the letters that follow "מ" :)
3 x
corrections are welcome

MisterVimes
White Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English, German, Hebrew
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17635

Postby MisterVimes » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:03 pm

May I ask which Memrise course you are using for Hebrew? I've been looking at a few but I can't decide which one to use.
2 x

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:59 pm

MisterVimes wrote:May I ask which Memrise course you are using for Hebrew? I've been looking at a few but I can't decide which one to use.

Sure, I'm using the course "Hebrew from Scratch II COMPLETE" - it doesn't have the audio recordings but at least a transcription in Latin letters is provided for each word, so I don't have to figure out the vocalization on my own. Before starting it, you may be interested in completing one of the courses based on the first part of "Hebrew from scratch". I used a Polish-based one (with audio recordings!) so I guess it won't be much of help though ;)
3 x
corrections are welcome

MisterVimes
White Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English, German, Hebrew
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17635

Postby MisterVimes » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:16 pm

AroAro wrote:Sure, I'm using the course "Hebrew from Scratch II COMPLETE" - it doesn't have the audio recordings but at least a transcription in Latin letters is provided for each word, so I don't have to figure out the vocalization on my own. Before starting it, you may be interested in completing one of the courses based on the first part of "Hebrew from scratch". I used a Polish-based one (with audio recordings!) so I guess it won't be much of help though ;)

Thank you! Heh, I won't try Polish but I think I've found another one in English.
1 x

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:12 am

WEEKLY UPDATE

Russian - lesson 52 of "Perfectionnement Russe". I started listening to some Russian podcasts, such as "Что это было?", "Не верю!" - both of them were quite easy to follow, though I guess that the level of comprehension will vary based on the topic and invited guests. The third podcast is called "Литературный Нобель" - this one was rather hard, I will listen to a few episodes and then will decide if I should continue or maybe come back to it in a few months' time.

Hebrew - finished "40 leçons pour parler hébreu" so now will be working with "Hebrajski dla początkujących" - Hebrew for beginners but it's much more conversation-based so I learned a few new words even in the first lesson (there are only 11 lessons in fact), 456/623 words learned in Memrise

Romanian - watched a very interesting interview with Moldova's president Maia Sandu and two things kind of "shocked" me. First is the journalist's accent - he speaks Romanian with Russian intonation and I struggled to understand fully one or two of his questions. I watch news reports from Moldova and it seems to me it's not uncommon for some Moldovans to speak Romanian this way. I had watched some of his videos before so his accent shouldn't really surprise me but Sandu speaks in such a clear manner that the guy's accent did stand out (I don't mean that in an offensive way, I think none of the accents is better than the other, I'm just observing the linguistic situation in Moldova).
Another fact that took me off-guard is that Sandu's salary is 780 eur and she buys her "presidential outfits" herself with her own money, also she still lives in her flat and pays her bills. I thought there must be some kind of "representation fund" for the country's president but it turns out there isn't any.

Reading - still reading "His Bloody Project", a very engaging book. Even though we know from the very beginning who the murderer is, the story is very compelling and I really liked that it's set in rural Scotland, in a village of Culduie that happens to really exist and is located near Isle of Skye (many, many years ago I worked on Isle of Skye during one summer - seems like it was in another life! - and could see the landscapes described in the book with my own eyes). I'm reading a paper book so I had to check some unknown words in my pocket dictionary, mainly related to rural Scotland - ghillie, fleece, flaughter, peat. I'm pretty sure I knew what peat means but somehow I forgot it.
Last edited by AroAro on Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
corrections are welcome

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:51 am

AroAro wrote:
Reading - still reading "His Bloody Project", a very engaging book. Even though we know from the very beginning who the murder is, the story is very compelling and I really liked that it's set in rural Scotland, in a village of Culduie that happens to really exist and is located near Isle of Skye (many, many years ago I worked on Isle of Skye during one summer - seems like it was in another life! - and could see the landscapes described in the book with my own eyes). I'm reading a paper book so I had to check some unknown words in my pocket dictionary, mainly related to rural Scotland - ghillie, fleece, flaughter, peat. I'm pretty sure I knew what peat means but somehow I forgot it.
The Skye boat song (over the sea to Skye) is a song you used to learn in primary school in the UK.

EDIT
I had to look up flaughter too! :-)
2 x

Return to “Language logs”