AroAro's log (languages, books, certificates)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
AroAro
Green Belt
Languages: • Native - Polish
• Certified - C1: French, Italian, Romanian; B2: English, German
• Estimate - B2: Russian; B1: Bulgarian
• Learning - Czech, Hebrew
• Dabbled in - eo, la, uk, sw, lt, oc
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... d80b60a5e9

Re: AroAro's log Pусский and עברית

Postby AroAro » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:17 am

cjareck wrote:
AroAro wrote:aufhorchen - zainteresować, przykuć uwagę

Are you sure that this is the correct translation? I know that there was Horchdienst - służba nasłuchowa, so I've checked in my old Dictionary. It says nadstawiać uszu, nasłuchiwać, zacząć uważnie słuchać. So more or less listen carefully. Some examples given there also support the second meaning, but with the listening component in mind.

I use mainly the online Pons dictionary and in fact it translates it as nadstawiać uszu, nasłuchiwać but in the example section they use the verb zainteresować. Here is the phrase from Spiegel where I encountered that word:

Das Dokument liegt auch in der Geheimschutzstelle des Bundestags, die Lektüre dürfte Abgeordnete aufhorchen lassen.

I think it would be hard to translate it directly as nadstawiać uszu because the phrase mentions the action of reading, so in this context zainteresować suits probably better. But I should keep in mind that it's normally related to listening!
1 x
corrections are welcome

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:29 am

AroAro wrote: But I should keep in mind that it's normally related to listening!

And I will remember that I may have sometimes meaning unrelated to listening! That may be an important issue due to the interpretation of historical sources. Thanks for the explanation!
1 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Caromarlyse
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1-ish), German (B2/C1-ish), Russian (B1-ish), Portuguese (B1-ish), Welsh (complete beginner), Spanish (in hibernation)
(All levels estimates and given as a guide only)

Postby Caromarlyse » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:01 pm

AroAro wrote:
Caromarlyse wrote:Just added Eine Stunde Liebe to my podcast library, thanks! Lots of episodes there to keep me entertained (I need a lot to fill an hour a day, and there is only so much politics/current affairs I can take!).

The only problem is that the podcast promises "one hour" but in fact most episodes vary between 20-35 minutes :) but yes, it's a nice change from current affairs podcasts. You may like as well "Einhundert" (also on Deutschland Funk Nova), this episode almost brought me to tears (not all the episodes are equally interesting but it's quite cool).

Thanks for the recommendation, which I've downloaded and will listen to on my walk later.

Edited to add: listened to two of the episodes. Very compelling, but not sure my emotions can take too many of these!
1 x

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:40 am

WEEKLY UPDATE

Hebrew - I almost finished "Zeszyt 2" of Hebrew course by Shorr's Foundation - the last 30 pages show some language games that I will skip and I'll move directly to "Zeszyt 3". I really like this series, "Zeszyt 2" introduces things like numbers and telling time in a very simple and structured way. Unfortunately, it says that all Hebrew numbers have two forms (male and female) and that means that Hebrew is even more complicated than I expected (but I still have the passion for it so things don't look that bad).

Russian - Assmil lesson 83. The last 20 lessons are quite long, I'm not so sure I'll finish the Assimil course by the end of March as I initially planned to do. Moreover, there is plenty of vocabulary right now I don't really like to learn, like vegetables or clothes so I'm struggling a little bit.

English - "Time" p.90, listened to 1 BBC documentary podcast

lanky - chudy
to dovetail - zazębiać się

French - "Le Point" p.94-95, watched 1 video by "Geopolitis"

bichonner - strzec, troszczyć się

Italian - "Panorama" p.7-10, watched 2 episodes of Nova Lectio. I finished reading "L'Espresso" and decided to opt for "Panorama" as my next magazine (it has a more conservative profile)

a singhiozzo - sporadycznie, z przerwami
lesinare - poskąpić
lo slittamento - poślizg (także przenośnie)

German - "Der Spiegel" p.74-79, watched 1 video by Die Frage and 1 by MrWissen2go, listened to 2 episodes of "Zwischen Hamburg und Haiti" and 1 episode of "Eine Stunde History", "Echo der Welt", "Deep Talk", "Weltempfanger"

verpuffen - spalić na panewce
eine Ohrfeige geben - spoliczkować
in Bedrängnis - w tarapatach

Romanian - 2 articles from Deutsche Welle in Romanian, watched 1 video by "Atentie cad mere" and 1 by "Zaiafet"

a fi răpus - zostać zgładzonym
cât mai curând - najszybciej, jak się da

I did very very poorly as far as my German and Romanian podcasts are concerned. The reason - I wanted to catch up with this year's Eurovision songs. I listened to some of them on a loop and I watched some reaction videos on YT on top of that. So no wonder I did not have time to improve my listening skills. I have to go back on track next week.
3 x
corrections are welcome

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:21 am

WEEKLY UPDATE

Russian - Assimil lesson 87, I'm looking forward to reaching the last lesson, I really like Assimil courses but doing all the lessons demands a lot of perseverance. I also noticed that Assimil does not create courses for new languages in the traditional format (100 lessons with dialogues) but rather relegates them to the new series "Objectif Langues" (with only 30 lessons). Maybe some people complained that it's hard to finish all the 100 lessons and Assimil changed its strategy?

Hebrew - "Zeszyt 3", I read no more than 5 pages a day so I will be working with this course book well into April.

English - "Time" p.91-92, "The Spectator" p.3, watched 1 video by Langfocus and listened to 1 episode of BBC The Documentary Podcast. So I read the whole "Time" magazine and for the first time ever opted for "The Spectator". It has only 60 pages but there are much less ads inside so the amount of text should be basically the same as in magazines with 90-100 pages. And half of the pages are dedicated to culture topics so that's good.

connivance - pobłażliwość
nimble - zwinny, zręczny (it's one of those words that I encounter from to time, I learn their meaning but forget it altogether a few days later)

French - "Le point" p.96-101, watched 1 video by "Geopolitis"

le cénacle - krąg, grupa
l'écueil - przeszkoda, błąd

Italian - "Panorama" p.11-12, watched 1 video by "Nova Lectio". According to my rotation system, it's time for a book in Italian so I'm reading now "Le otto montagne" by Paolo Cognetti, which won Premio Strega in 2017. I've just read 12% on Kindle so far so it's hard to have an opinion yet but let's say there's nothing spectacular at this moment. I hope it'll get better.

vanificare - zniweczyć
la sceneggiata - ustawka

German - "Der Spiegel" p.80-81, watched 2 videos by MrWissen2go, listened to 2 episodes of "Einhundert", 1 episode of "Echo der Welt", "Eine Stunde Liebe", "Eine Stunde History", "Zeit Verbrechen" (about euthanasia, that was gruesome).

die Befugnis - upoważnienie
das Scharmützel - potyczka

Romanian - read 4 articles from Deutsche Welle, watched 3 episodes of "Romania te iubesc", 3 Telejurnal, 1 video by "Top Opt"

a sili - zmuszać
a se apuca de lucru - zabrać się do pracy

I did considerably better in terms of podcast listening compared to last week, so I am back on track. Keeping a language log helps me a lot to overview what I'm actually doing in my languages and make necessary changes when needed. My intention is to work on listening skills in German and Romanian till the end of May and then move on to easily understandable native content in Russian (Hebrew podcasts will continue to be beyond my reach for a very long time). However, the amount of interesting content in Romanian is simply outrageously small (or maybe I'm simply looking in wrong places?), so I may get to Russian earlier. I plan to look up the Forum and other logs for some suggestions for Russian "easy" podcasts but any recommendations are of course welcome at this point!
5 x
corrections are welcome

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:38 am

WEEKLY UPDATE

Russian - Assimil lesson 91. Impossible to finish the remaining lessons by the end of March, 15th April seems to be a more realistic deadline.

Hebrew
- I'm at the page 53 of "Zeszyt 3". I also read an article in Hebrew about Meghan and Harry (not that I'm obsessed with them but even if I don't follow this drama I still somehow know what's going on, so I hoped the familiarity with the topic would be of some help) but I did not understand anything, except for the names "Meghan" and "Harry" in Hebrew letters. But I'm proud to have read it till the end.

English - "The Spectator" p.6-9, watched 3 YT videos in total (Lindie Botes, Langfocus, NativLang)

stumped - zdumiony
to run into the ground - wpaść na mieliznę

French - "Le Point" p.102-109, watched 2 episodes of Geopolitis

aimanter - przyciągać ("magnetyzować")
la levure boulangère - drożdże piekarskie

Italian - "Panorama" p.13-19, listened to 1 episode of "Inviato Speciale" on RaiRadio, watched 1 video by "Breaking Italy" and 1 by "Nova Lectio" (about Dubai, interestingly this video was removed by YT because it allegedly instigated hatred towards Dubai people but fortunately YT reuploaded the video a few days later. The reason I mention it here is that the guy running this channel considered closing it down altogether and that would be pity, his videos are very well documented and balanced, they don't lean towards any side of the political debate - unlike "Breaking Italy" - but hey, maybe that's the problem these days). I've read 39% of "Le otto montagne" so far.

per inciso - nawiasem mówiąc
impietoso - bezlitosny
rimanere al palo - nie wykorzystać okazji

German - "Der Spiegel" p.82, watched 1 video by MrWissen2go, listened to 2 episoded of "Ab 21" (they were ok, but nothing spectacular), 1 episode of "Echo der Welt", 3 episoded of "Einhundert" and 1 "Eine Stunde History"

lückenhaft - niekompletny
Anstalten machen - przygotowywać się
abfackeln - puścić z dymem

Romanian - read 2 articles from DW and one article about saying "yes" in Romanian - they say "da" like in Russian but for many centuries they said "ie", this form survives now only in some remote areas. And some linguists say that Romanian "da" comes from Latin "ita" (which became first "ida", then "da") and not from Slavic languages. Watched 1 Telejurnal and listened to 4 episodes of "On the record".

a năvăli - najechać (cf. polskie "nawałnica")
a alunga - przepędzić, wyprzeć

Last week, I complained about Romanian podcasts and I decided to give it last chance and look for some interesing podcasts out there. And indeed I've found the podcast "On the record" - it's not groundbreaking, they talk about current affairs but the moderator and her guests try to build a bigger picture around each topic. For example, they discussed the movie "Colectiv" - the first ever Romanian movie nominated for Oscar (at the moment of the podcast it was shortlisted, the nominations were announced later). They talked about the state of the movie industry in Romania and how "Colectiv" was not supported at all by the Romanian Ministry of Culture (they wanted to send a comedy "Miami Bici" because it sold the most tickets in Romania last year). Fortunately, the submission for the category "Best International Film" was decided by a special commitee in a secret vote and they chose "Colectiv", a movie depicting the incompetence of local political elite (no wonder the politicians did not want to send it to Oscars). It's a movie I definitely want to see it.

Once I listened to the episode about "Colectiv", I watched "Honeyland", a documentary from North Macedonia that scored 2 Oscar nominations as well (in 2020). It's available for free till the end of April on the website of TVP (Polish National TV Broadcaster). It's mesmerizingly beautiful and very gripping, touching on subject of using natural resources and nature protection from a new point of view. I loved each second of it. Maybe because it was not one of these documentaries with talking heads but it felt like a feature movie. It was also interesting from the linguistic point of view - the protagonist speaks Balkan Turkish.
5 x
corrections are welcome

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:28 am

WEEKLY UPDATE

Russian - Assimil lesson 95. Only 5 lessons left!

Hebrew - I'm at the page 76 of "Zeszyt 3". I did not even do 5 pages a day... And I sometimes struggle to learn new vocab, some words are so similar that my brain cannot see the difference (makhlit - decide, matkhil - start)

English - "The Spectator" p.10, watched 1 video by "Atlas Pro"

to lambast - skrytykować
tit-for-tat - odwet (my online dictionary says "wet za wet" but I've never seen this expression in Polish before?)

French - "Le Point" p.110, watched 1 video by Geopolitis

gober - łykać, przenośnie "ufać ślepo"

Italian - "Panorama" p.2-23, watched 1 video by "Nova Lectio" and 1 by "Breaking Italy". Read 68% of "Le otto montagne".

andare in tilt - zepsuć się, stanąć w miejscu
mettere lo zampino - wtrącać się

German - "Der Spiegel" p.83-87, watched 2 videos by MrWissen2go, listened to 1 episode of "Weltempfänger", "Echo der Welt", "Eine Stunde History", "Zwischen Hamburg und Haiti", "Zeit Verbrechen", "NDR Info Feature Box", and 4 episodes of "Einhundert"

zugrunde richten - zrujnować
bändigen - poskromić
aufstauen - wzbierać
wettmachen - nadrobić

Romanian - read 3 articles from DW Romanian Service, watched 1 video by "Zaiafet", "Atentie cad mere", 2 Telejurnal and listened to 5 episodes of "On the record"

neajunsurile - niedociągnięcia
a irosi - zmarnować
copleșit - przytłoczony

I was quite busy this week with other things (overtime at work, some minor health problems), so I didn't do as much Russian and Hebrew as I wanted to. On the other hand, I listened to a lot of German and Romanian podcasts, so some progress was done here at least.
4 x
corrections are welcome

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:18 pm

WEEKLY UPDATE

Russian - I finished the Assimil course! The last revision lesson was very short and the lessons 99 and 100 were there just to top up the number of the lessons, so I managed to do them all in a short period of time. I won't do the active phase, so I can move directly to the next book.
Now, I'm going to work with "Грамматика без проблем" - it's a grammar book with 66 chapters covering the basics of the Russian grammar (but some chapters have 3-4 subsections). Each chapter/subsection has 2 pages only - on one page there is a short explanation with examples and on the other one there are exercices. The explanations are written in Polish as the book is destined for Polish pupils in secondary schools learning Russian, so probably its level is around B1 which is fine to me. And it'll be cool to read about Russian grammar in Polish and not in French for a change.

Hebrew - I also finished "Zeszyt 3" by Shorr's Foundation. It explained very well the Hebrew infinitives and I acquired quite a lot of new vocabulary. Now, I should go back to Assimil to do the lessons 51-85 but the problem is that I'm staying with my parents-in-law and I didn't take the Assimil with me. So next week I will just review the vocabulary. I also read a random article from news.walla in Hebrew and this time I managed to understand something - it happened to be a report on a car accident somewhere near Beer-Sheva in which a child was killed... A sad story, so I'm actually glad that my poor level in Hebrew prevented me from understanding depressing details that were there for sure.

English - "The Spectator" p.11-13, listened to 2 BBC Documentary podcasts

to go cap in hand - grzecznie prosić
to waive - zrzec się

French
- "Le Point" p.111-116, watched 1 video by Geopolitis and 1 by Linguisticae

lâcher prise - odpuścić
la probité - uczciwość

Italian - "Panorama" p.24-27, watched 1 video by "Nova Lectio". Read 89% of "Le otto montagne".

improponibile - nie do przyjęcia
brancolare nel buio - chodzić/działać po omacku

German - "Der Spiegel" p.88-90, watched 1 video by MrWissen2go Geschichte, listened to 1 episode of "Deep Talk", "Weltempfänger", "Echo der Welt", "Eine Stunde History", "Einhundert" and 2 episodes of "Eine Stunde Liebe"

kirre werden -zwariować
kollabieren - dostać zapaści, przestać działać

Romanian - read 2 articles from DW Romanian Service, watched 2 Telejurnal and listened to 4 episodes of "On the record"

a pângări - zbeszcześcić
imboldul - zachęta

I usually post my weekly updates on Fridays but tomorrow I'll have no access to Internet so better do it today. (Wishing already a nice weekend to everyone!)
6 x
corrections are welcome

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:48 am

UDMURT LANGUAGE / УДМУРТ КЫЛ

Over the weekend, I listened more to music on YT than to my German and Romanian podcasts and at one point, in a strange turn of events, the YT algorithm suggested to me a new song by Buranovskiye Babushki :) - probably because I had listened to this year's Eurovision songs a few weeks before and they represented Russia in 2012 I believe. I decided to give it a go and interestingly, this song is partially sung in Udmurt language. I first became aware of this language two years ago when an Udmurt scholar Albert Razin committed suicide in front of the local parliament in Izhevsk, the capital of Udmurtia, to protest againt the russification of Udmurtia and the fact that the language is slowly dying. That's a sad story, and as a person living in a de facto monolingual country I can only wonder why it is happening. I don't know very well the linguistic situation in Russia but it seems that there was a series of laws passed by the Russian Duma in recent years that made the regional languages a non-compulsory subject at schools. On the other hand, the Turkic languages (Tatar, Bashkir) are doing quite well (I guess?) while Udmurt and other Uralic languages have been losing their speakers for decades now so the story behind their disappearing must be more complex.

Udmurt belongs to Uralic languages but to my untrained ear it sounds more like a Turkic language - probably because it was influenced by Tatar and between 10 to 30% of vocabulary is of Tatar origin. I find it very fascinating and there is a YT channel that teaches bascis of Udmurt in Russian and English. I listened to some of their videos in Russian and I could even understand something from time to time! Knowledge of Russian makes it possible to learn a lot of local languages out there and I can already see myself dabbling in Udmurt for fun in the future :) I was never interested in Uralic languages but by listening to some snippets of them on YT, I'm becoming more and more drawn to them. Well, there are so many fascinating languages (Georgian...) and it's impossible to learn them all and I have to master Russian first before even toying with the idea of dabbling in Udmurt.

I also recommend a video below - it's an interview with a teacher of Udmurt language (she has her own YT channel with some videos in Udmurt). She shares with us some interesting facts about Udmurt and summarizes the current situation of the language - not very optimistic though...

For those speaking Polish, there is even a webpage created by students of Hungarian Studies at the Warsaw University dedicated to Udmurt language which they studied at the University of Izhevsk. There are some helpful links in Russian.

And here is a report on Udmurt language and an episode of the Russian podcast "Тоже Россия" recorded after the self-immolation of Albert Razin.

The only course book for Udmurt language that I'm aware of is called "Марым, лэся", though it's nowhere to be found. There is also a grammar book in German "Udmurtische Grammatik (Veröffentlichungen der Societas Uralo-Altaica)" but I'm not sure how helpful it might be for those without prior knowledge of Uralic languages characteristics.

https://vk.com/udmurteveryday
https://vk.com/audios-95792851
https://soundcloud.com/udmurtlyk/sets/set
http://udmurt.info/
https://vorshud.unatlib.ru/

An interview with Udmurt activist:
https://globalvoices.org/2020/05/29/a-c ... om-malykh/

Udmurt newspapers:
https://udmdunne.ru/
https://udmurt.media/udm/
https://oshmes.rbsmi.ru/

Udmurt podcast:
https://vk.com/olokinnoolomarno

Udmurt TV:
https://vk.com/daurtv

other websites:
http://udmcorpus.udman.ru/home
http://udmurtkyl.ru/

I've gathered these links for future reference when I'm ready to dabble in Udmurt (and will try to add all the new interesting resources I'll encounter - there should be more once I'm able to learn other languages via Russian).
Last edited by AroAro on Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
5 x
corrections are welcome

Ezra
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C1),
In use: French, Spanish, Latin, Classical Hebrew
Studying: Classical Chinese, Italian, German, Japanese, Ancient Greek
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=8792

Postby Ezra » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:06 am

There are number of books on Udmurt language in Russian, as well as some other resources on the Russian web, for example, VK group «Удмуртский каждый день». So, with Russian you should be able to find some decent resources.
4 x

Return to “Language logs”