AroAro's log (languages, books, certificates)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Re: AroAro's log Pусский and עברית

Postby Carmody » Sat May 01, 2021 8:29 pm

AroAro » Sat May 01, 2021 5:38 am

Carmody wrote:
What is "Le Point"?

It's a French weekly magazine, each issue has around 100 pages. "Le Point" has a more centric profile, unlike "L'Express" which is left-leaning.

Many thanks.
1 x

AroAro
Green Belt
Languages: • Native - Polish
• Certified - C1: French, Italian, Romanian; B2: English, German
• Estimate - B2: Russian; B1: Bulgarian
• Learning - Czech, Hebrew
• Dabbled in - eo, la, uk, sw, lt, oc
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... d80b60a5e9

Postby AroAro » Fri May 07, 2021 7:05 am

WEEKLY UPDATE

Russian - chapter 53 from "Грамматика без проблем". The sections about declension of numerals were overwhelming, I just skimmed through them but did not care to learn the declension charts by heart. There are so many of them and I think I'd rather concentrate on other topics. In Polish, the numerals are also declined (but still there are some differences between the two languages) so maybe that will help when I need to decline the numerals in Russian.

Hebrew - Assimil lesson 70. I tried to read an online article in Hebrew but this time I had no luck - I understood some basic words here and there but could not figure out what it was about.

English - "The Spectator" p.22-23, listened to 1 episode of "Tides of History"

to cut no ice - nie zrobić wrażenia
reckless - lekkomyślny

French - "L'Histoire" p.16-17, watched 2 videos by Linguisticae

Italian - "Panorama" p.48-49, watched 1 video by "Nova Lectio"

da asporto - na wynos

German - "Der Spiegel" p.98-101, watched 2 videos by MrWissen2go, listened to 1 episode of "Eine Stunde History", 1 episode of "Zwischen Hamburg und Haiti", 2 episodes of "Weltspiegel" and watched 6 episodes of "Anwälte im Einsatz"
Reading "Das achte Leben" - 180 pages so far.

ausrotten - wytępić, wytrzebić
der Blickwindel - perspektywa

Romanian - read 3 articles from DW Romanian Service, watched 1 video by "Atentie, cad mere", listened to 1 episode of "On the record" and "Agenda Globală", watched 3 episodes of "În căutarea adevărului"

a ademeni - kusić
a leșina - zemdleć
a înmâna - wręczyć
4 x
corrections are welcome

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Fri May 07, 2021 11:12 am

AroAro wrote:Hebrew - Assimil lesson 70. I tried to read an online article in Hebrew but this time I had no luck - I understood some basic words here and there but could not figure out what it was about.

Try GLOSS reading lessons on level one, perhaps this will help? I've also some readers like Military reader, Newspaper reader or Literature reader. All from ERIC or other sites so I presume they are in public domain. If you wish, send me your email via PM and I will send the to you.
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Fri May 07, 2021 12:59 pm

cjareck wrote:
AroAro wrote:Hebrew - Assimil lesson 70. I tried to read an online article in Hebrew but this time I had no luck - I understood some basic words here and there but could not figure out what it was about.

Try GLOSS reading lessons on level one, perhaps this will help? I've also some readers like Military reader, Newspaper reader or Literature reader. All from ERIC or other sites so I presume they are in public domain. If you wish, send me your email via PM and I will send the to you.

Great, thank you for your help, I'm sending you my email!

My problem is the limited vocabulary I've acquired so far in Hebrew. In fact, I checked the dictionaries at the end of Assimil Hebrew and Assimil Russian and for Hebrew there are around 1000 words listed while for Russian almost 2000. Both courses promise to get the learner to B2 level - that may be true as far as grammar is concerned but definitely not the vocabulary.
1 x
corrections are welcome

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Fri May 14, 2021 10:50 am

WEEKLY UPDATE

Russian - I finished "Грамматика без проблем". Now, I'll work with a Polish course book "Mówimy po rosyjsku" ("We speak Russian") published in 1975. Normally, I should not use it because it's aimed at beginners (just like Assimil that I finished a few weeks ago) but I really like the books published by Wiedza Powszechna and I'd like to check how this course book is constructed. Interestingly, there are accompanying recordings that I managed to get in mp3 format. The book has 30 chapters and an intro about Russian phonology so that may be quite useful.

Hebrew
- Assimil lesson 73. The course has 85 lessons and the last 15 lessons are much longer and full of complicated vocabulary. I think I have to give up the idea of finishing it by the end of May as I originally intented, it's just not possible with so many unknown words and long dialogues. It's as if the authors wanted to condensate in the last lessons all the material that normally should be covered in 30 lessons. I wonder why this course has only 85 lessons and not 100 like most of other Assimil courses.

English - "The Spectator" p.24-25, listened to 2 episodes of "Tides of History"

impish - psotny
wafty -trywialny

French - "L'Histoire" p.18-21, listened to 2 podcast episodes at Slate.fr

Italian - "Panorama" p.50-51, watched 1 video by "Nova Lectio"

sconfortante - zniechęcający

German - "Der Spiegel" p.102, watched 1 video by MrWissen2go, listened to 1 episode of "Historia Universalis" (thanking coldrainwater for mentioning it in his log!) and watched 7 episodes of "Anwälte im Einsatz"

Reading "Das achte Leben" - 320 pages so far.

obendrein - w dodatku

Romanian - read 2 articles from DW Romanian Service, watched 1 video by "Top Opt" and "Zaiafet", watched 3 episodes of "În căutarea adevărului"

a lăsa în voie - pozostawić na pastwę losu
ghiocel - płatek śniegu
puturos- leniwy

I also had my first dose of vaccine on Wednesday and I had the usual side effects (headache, shivers, higher temperature) but on Thursday I also got strong pain chest - it's hard to describe how bad it was, I've never had anything like that in my life. I was quite scared so I called the emergency and they sent the ambulance. They did EKG test and fortunately everything was ok and I'm feeling much better today. The usual symptoms of blood clots appear 4-5 days after the injection so that was not that either. I had some mild chest pains in the last months so it was probably just a coincidence that I had them again after the vaccine.
5 x
corrections are welcome

Caromarlyse
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1-ish), German (B2/C1-ish), Russian (B1-ish), Portuguese (B1-ish), Welsh (complete beginner), Spanish (in hibernation)
(All levels estimates and given as a guide only)

Postby Caromarlyse » Fri May 14, 2021 1:55 pm

As an English native speaker, it's interesting to me to see which English words you are looking up. Without context, I struggled with "wafty". I then looked it up and realised that it comes from "to waft" (of course!), but interesting that that was hidden from me at first. I don't think I could form a sentence with "wafty" in it still now. I suppose it goes to show how normal it is, in any language, to struggle with individual words and rely heavily on context to derive meaning.

I've just looked up the MrWissen2go site too. Coincidentally I heard it mentioned on a podcast this morning, in the context that this channel is (partially/wholly?) funded by the German Rundfundbeitrag. There seems to be a lot there that appeals to me - will have to delve deeper!
2 x

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Mon May 17, 2021 9:26 am

Caromarlyse wrote:As an English native speaker, it's interesting to me to see which English words you are looking up. Without context, I struggled with "wafty". I then looked it up and realised that it comes from "to waft" (of course!), but interesting that that was hidden from me at first. I don't think I could form a sentence with "wafty" in it still now. I suppose it goes to show how normal it is, in any language, to struggle with individual words and rely heavily on context to derive meaning.

I've just looked up the MrWissen2go site too. Coincidentally I heard it mentioned on a podcast this morning, in the context that this channel is (partially/wholly?) funded by the German Rundfundbeitrag. There seems to be a lot there that appeals to me - will have to delve deeper!

The whole phrase was: "I have scant time for wafty blatherings about the journey of grief, but what I do know is this: a good funeral - and the lasting memories thereof - is of paramount importance for those left behind, as they try to make sense of what they have lost". I could not figure out what "wafty" means in this context, it was too abstract and I've never met the verb "to waft" before in the first place!

MrWissen2go is a great resource, I like how they try to talk about current news impartially. There is also a separate channel about history (MrWissen2go Geschichte).
3 x
corrections are welcome

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Fri May 21, 2021 6:55 am

WEEKLY UPDATE

Russian - going through "Mówimy po rosyjsku", I'm at the lesson 11 now. The course is centered around dialogues, and in fact all the exercises are aimed at practicing conversations - something I would not expect from the course published 45 years ago. There are basically no grammar drills so far, the book relies heavily on similarities between Polish and Russian in that area. And one more thing - the dialogues feature the same 5-6 characters throughout the book, we meet for example Надя, Валя and Юра - Валя has a crush on Юра so I'm quite curious to discover what will happen next :)

Hebrew - Assimil lesson 76. Going slowly through the lessons, I need now 2-3 days to complete one lesson.

English - "The Spectator" p.26-29, listened to 1 episode of "Tides of History"

to rebuff - odrzucać

French - "L'Histoire" p.22-23, listened to 1 episode of "Geopolitis"

Italian - "Panorama" p.52-59, watched 2 videos by "Nova Lectio"

passare al setaccio - przyglądać się, brać pod lupę
spettinato - rozczochrany

German - "Der Spiegel" p.103-105, watched 1 video by MrWissen2go, listened to 1 episode of "Ausland - das Magazin" and watched 7 episodes of "Anwälte im Einsatz"

Reading "Das achte Leben" - 455 pages so far.

die Ausprägung - objaw
stutzig - skonsternowany
schleichen - skradać się

Romanian - read 2 articles from DW Romanian Service, watched 3 episodes of "În căutarea adevărului" and listened to 1 episode of "Agenda globală"

oștirea - armia
gloatele - tłum, gawiedź

It was a Eurovision Week and I watched the semi-finals, so I did not spend as much time on language learning as usual. But I feel excused because I had a hard week at work so watching Eurovision was the best thing I could do in the evening.

Book hoarding - I've recently bought 3 books even though I will not use them any time soon but I simply could not pass them up. The first one is "Assimil Le Hongrois sans peine" that I got almost for free (2.5 €), I have the recordings so who knows, maybe in 30-40 years' time I'll finally get to Hungarian ;) The other book is "Język litewski dla każdego. Lietuviu kalba kiekvienam", a course book for Polish speakers published in Lithuania in 1993. It's 450 pages long, it seems very detailed and it's full of dialogues though sadly there are no recordings. Lithuanian is on my "to do list" so I will definitely use this book. And finally "Slovenščina za Poljake" - the only course book of Slovene language targeted at Polish speakers, published by the University of Katowice in 1980, though I'm not really sure it's a good one, the learning curve is very steep. Anyway, there are other Slavic languages that I'd like to learn before Slovene so I'm not worried too much about Slovene learning materials at this point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x
corrections are welcome

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Fri May 28, 2021 10:28 am

WEEKLY UPDATE

Russian - "Mówimy po rosyjsku", lesson 22

Hebrew - Assimil lesson 79

English - "The Spectator" p.30-33, listened videos by NativLang and Langfocus

to mete out - rozdawać
acquittal - uniewinnienie

French - "L'Histoire" p.24-25, watched 1 video by "L'Histoire nous le dira" (it's in the Quebec variant of French)

clivant - dzielący, kontrowersyjny

Italian - "Panorama" p.60-63, watched 1 video by "Nova Lectio"

l'eccidio - masakra
la compagine - ekipa

German - "Der Spiegel" p.106-107, watched 1 video by MrWissen2go, listened to 1 episode of "Weltspiegel Thema" and "Eine Stunde History" and watched 2 episodes of "Anwälte im Einsatz"

Reading "Das achte Leben" - so I read 545 pages so far (42% of the book). I decided to leave it at this point and move to other books on my pile. 545 pages in German is quite an achievement for me and now it's time for other languages.

die Verzierung - ozdoba
zanken um etw. - sprzeczać się, spierać się

Romanian - read 2 articles from DW Romanian Service, and listened to 2 episodes of "Agenda globală", watched 1 video by "Zaiafet" and 4 videos by Bianca Popa (but that amounts only to around 35 minutes), stopped watching "În căutarea adevărului"

înverșunat - zaciekły, zajadły
a înăbuși rezistența - stłumić opór
gașca - gang

I'm going to change drastically my daily routine when it comes to language learning. Next week, my second kid will be born, so I won't have as much time as I used to and I will need to allocate the little free time left to Russian and Hebrew. My priority will be Russian because I can see the progress I'm making in this language and I want to take it to another level. Hebrew is more of a challenge, I'm just happy to continue with it slowly, hoping to see some results in the future. It also means that I have to give up on my "maintenance languages" - English, French, Italian, German and Romanian. I believe I won't have the capacity to do any activities in these languages till the end of the year, at least. I will read occasionally news reports and listen to the radio while working in order to keep in touch with them, but no structured activity will take place. I'm really proud of the progress in the listening comprehension in German and Romanian that I've made in the last months so I hope they won't deteriorate too much!
7 x
corrections are welcome

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Fri May 28, 2021 11:21 am

AroAro wrote:I'm going to change drastically my daily routine when it comes to language learning. Next week, my second kid will be born, so I won't have as much time as I used to and I will need to allocate the little free time left to Russian and Hebrew.

I think you can fit your language learning with babysitting at that early stage. I remember going for a walk with my oldest girl in a stroller. She quickly fell asleep, and I could read books then. She was born in May, so the weather was quite nice! My twins were born in December and September, but both pairs left the hospital in December, so that was not possible with them. Nevertheless, during later strolls, I just had my headphones on and listened to language-learning materials. Since the kids were not that interactive and could play with each other, I maintained that for quite a long time.
4 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Return to “Language logs”