AroAro's log (languages, books, certificates)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
AroAro
Green Belt
Languages: • Native - Polish
• Certified - C1: French, Italian, Romanian; B2: English, German
• Estimate - B2: Russian; B1: Bulgarian
• Learning - Czech, Hebrew
• Dabbled in - eo, la, uk, sw, lt, oc
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... d80b60a5e9

Re: AroAro's log Pусский and עברית

Postby AroAro » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:53 am

Ezra wrote:There are number of books on Udmurt language in Russian, as well as some other resources on the Russian web, for example, VK group «Удмуртский каждый день». So, with Russian you should be able to find some decent resources.

Thank you, much appreciated! I can even see there a link to "Марым, лэся" :)
1 x
corrections are welcome

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:06 am

WEEKLY UPDATE

Russian - I did chapters 1 to 13 from "Грамматика без проблем", which results in approximately 2 chapters a day and it seems managable so far. Besides, the first 23 chapters are all about Russian verbs and these seem to me very logical, there are hardly any surprises. The verb morphology is very similar across all Slavic languages (with the notable exception of Bulgarian and Macedonian that retained archaic tenses from Old Slavonic) so I have it for free already! The noun and adjective declensions are more tricky but I'll get to that later.

Hebrew
- Assimil lesson 54. Last Saturday, I had to go back to Cracow for a few hours and I brought back Assimil with me. I need two days to finish one lesson. The Hebrew sentence structure is becoming less obscure but retaining vocabulary is painful! Sometimes, I'm not even able to recognize the words introduced a few lessons before that suddenly reappear in the current lesson. I hope that with perseverance and more exposure I'll fix this problem.

English - "The Spectator" p.15, listened to 1 BBC Documentary Podcast

woke - wrażliwy na kwestie społeczne (there is no direct word to word translation into Polish)
to rile - zezłościć

French - "Le Point" p.117-118, watched 1 video by Geopolitis

idoine - odpowiedni

Italian - "Panorama" p.28-35, watched 2 videos by "Nova Lectio" and 1 by "BarbieXanax".
I finally read "Le otto montagne", I was surprised to discover that the book was quite short - only 180 pages - but it took me almost 3 weeks to finish it! Way too much time... I don't usually read books in Italian so that may be a reason but still the progress was too slow. Another reason is that I didn't really like this book - it was naive ("I will go to Himalaya to find the sense in life" kind of cliche), it barely touched upon the financial crisis and its repercussions (and these parts were most interesting to me). I'm not really into Italian literature and I'll think twice before choosing a book in this language next time in my rotation system.

essere in stallo - mieć przestój
sfoderare un'idea strabiliante - wyskoczyć z zaskakującym pomysłem
regredire - powrócić, cofnąć się

German - "Der Spiegel" p.91-93, watched 2 videos by MrWissen2go Geschichte, listened to 1 episode of "Einhundert", "Zeit Verbrechen", "Zwischen Hamburg und Haiti", "Eine Stunde History" and 4 episodes of "Weltspiegel Thema" on NDR

die Vorgehensweise - sposób postępowania
die Gunst verlieren - tracić względy
das Zerwürfnis - waśń

Romanian - read 2 articles from DW Romanian Service, watched 1 video by "Zaiafet", 2 Telejurnal, 2 "Romania te iubesc" and listened to 2 episodes of "On the record".
I have already listened to all the episodes of "On the record" (I skipped those about the pandemic, I've listened enough about this subject so far) so I'm again in search of new podcasts in Romanian. I'm tempted to watch "În căutarea adevărului" - a so called pseudo-documentary revolving around tragedies in common people's lives. Not that I'm a big fan of such entertainment but I would be exposed to everyday speech for a change so maybe I'll give it a try in the end. And "Radio România Actualități" uploads again the podcast "Agenda Globală" so will listen to that as well next week.

a arunca pe umerii - zrzucić na barki
conștiința împăcată - czyste sumienie
a răstălmăci - przeinaczyć
meditație - korepetycje/private tutoring lessons (I've encountered this word twice this week, it means as well meditation of course but I was surprised at "private lessons" meaning)

Udmurt - I listened to one lesson on YT by Oli Urasinova while working, my Russian is still at the beginner level but I managed to understand a gist of the lesson. I'm not going to continue further now because I don't want to get distracted by too many languages but I read extensively about Uralic languages - a very fascinating family. Proto-Uralic speakers had contacts with Proto-Indo-Iran speakers thousands of years ago which resulted in lexical borrowings into Proto-Uralic. The classification of languages inside Uralic Language Family is still somewhat controversial - Uralic languages are grouped into 9 groups but relations between them are not unequivocally established. I guess that If I were a native speaker of Hungarian or Finnish, I would definitely aim at learning them all!
4 x
corrections are welcome

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:17 am

WEEKLY UPDATE

Russian - I'm already at the chapter 27 from "Грамматика без проблем".

Hebrew - Assimil lesson 60. I felt really motivated to do the lessons this week and I want to finish Assimil by the end of May.

English - "The Spectator" p.16-19, watched 1 video by Lindie Botes and Langfocus

to be blinkered - mieć klapki na oczach
to kowtow to - płaszczyć się przed

French - watched 1 video by Linguisticae. I finished reading my "Le Point" but I could not buy a new issue from my local provider, they didn't have "L'Express" either so in the end I opted for "LHistoire" for the first time. The issue I bought is all about the fall of Roman Empire and the transition from late Antiquity to early Middle Ages which I've always found intriguing.

Italian - "Panorama" p.36-39, watched 2 videos by "Nova Lectio"

incauto - lekkomyślny
avallare - uprawomocnić

German - "Der Spiegel" p.94-95, watched 1 video by MrWissen2go Geschichte, listened to 1 episode of "Zwischen Hamburg und Haiti", "Weltempfänger", "Weltspiegel Thema" and 2 episodes of "Einhundert"
Just like for Romanian, I decided to watch a couple of "docudrammas" on YT (I'm not really sure how this kind of TV shows is called in English). I can definitely recommend "Im Namen der Gerechtigkeit" (watched 8 episodes) and even more so "Anwälte im Einsatz" (watched 2 episodes). The former has a more humorous/not so serious edge to it, while the latter is more "sachlich" but it may be just a false impression because I've watched so far only a few episodes of each series. On the other hand, I watched also 3 episodes of "Hilf mir! Jung, pleite, verzweifelt" and the title alone should be enough of a warning - it's targeted at teenagers I guess and the episodes I've watched were absurd, to put it mildly, so I'm not going to continue with this series.

beschwichtigen - łagodzić, uspokajać
hartnäckig - uparty
der Vollzug - wykonanie

Romanian - read 4 articles from DW Romanian Service, watched 1 video by "Zaiafet" and "Top Opt".
I watched 3 episodes of "În căutarea adevărului" and I must confess it's not bad as I thought it would be :) well, it's still not overly ambitious but I get from it exactly what I was looking for at this moment - every day speech and dialogues.
The good thing is that in each episode there are different actors so I can get used to different varieties of speech/pronunciation. The bad thing is that each episode lasts 1,5 hour and I cannot really watch it while working (unlike listening to podcasts). And the musical background they use is problematic to me (almost happy music playing while the protagonist is being told that her sister is in reality her mother) but fortunately this part has nothing to do with language learning.
And one interesting thing I noticed - in Romanian, there are two ways to express the future, the so called literary and popular future tenses. I exptected to hear the popular future tense most of the time but it turns out it's the exact opposite - they use the literary tense in most situations, and it applies to all the protagonists and their social status has nothing to do with that.

nebănuit - nieoczekiwany
fundătura - ślepa uliczka
lașitate - tchórzostwo
5 x
corrections are welcome

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:26 pm

AroAro wrote:
hartnäckig - uparty

This word I know in the phrase hartnäckiger Widerstand, but now I know that it has a much wider meaning ;)
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:19 am

WEEKLY UPDATE

Russian - chapter 40 from "Грамматика без проблем". I do 2-3 chapters a day but as I mentioned before, the book is aimed at beginners so it doesn't cover complicated things (no chapter about participles for example). In the exercices for noun declension, they always tell you which case to use so it helps to give correct answers but at the same time I know I would not be able to always choose the correct case by myself. Fortunately, I have other grammar books with a lot of drills waiting for their turn.

Hebrew - Assimil lesson 66. This week, the lessons were centered around colours and clothes, something I don't like learning about but for whatever reason I was able to memorize the Hebrew vocabulary without much problem. One thing that makes this Assimil course special is that after each lesson there is a short text about Israel, its culture and history, something that I missed in Assimil Russian.

English - "The Spectator" p.20-21, listened to 1 episode of "Tides of History" - a podcast series recommended in this Forum, I will definitely listen to other episodes next week

to vent about - dać upust emocjom
listless - apatyczny

French - "L'Histoire" p.6-15, watched 1 video by Linguisticae and Geopolitis. I also had a call with my French client and of course I said Je n'ai pas retourné instead of Je ne suis pas retourné, even though I know perfectly that I should use the verb "être". It's because when speaking fast, my brain chooses the verb "avoir" which is used in 99% of cases and only a few moments later I realized I should've used the other one. I don't use French as often as I used to so I lost some of the "automatisms" that I had in the past.

pernicieux - zgubny
plastiquer - wysadzić w powietrze przy użyciu materiałów wybuchowych

Italian - "Panorama" p.40-47, watched 2 videos by "Nova Lectio"

l'agguato - zasadzka
struggente - wzruszający
strepitoso - niesamowity

German - "Der Spiegel" p.96-97, watched 1 video by MrWissen2go Geschichte, listened to 1 episode of "Eine Stunde History" and watched 11 episodes of "Anwälte im Einsatz" (but each episode is only 20-25 minutes long)
According to my rotation system for book reading, it's now time to read something in German. I opted for "Das achte Leben" by Nino Haratischwili - reading about Georgia in German is a perfect combination for me now, given my interest in Georgia (and Georgian language). The book was written in German by a Georgian immigrant residing now in Hamburg. Although her native language was Georgian, the book is not written in a simplistic manner. It is very long (over 1200 pages) so I'll read one half and leave the second half for the next occasion.
The only issue I have is the price - the Kindle version in original costs 21$ while the English translation only 10$ (I can buy my e-books only through amazon.com). Shouldn't it be the other way round? I would understand that the cost of translation can boost the price and not reduce it. Anyway, I bought the original German version and read so far 67 pages. It tells the story of a priviliged Georgian family during the last century so there should be a lot of contents/events to keep me interested.

die Ausschüttung - wypłata dywidendy
stur - niezwruszony

Romanian - read 4 articles from DW Romanian Service, watched 1 video by "Zaiafet" and 1 Telejurnal, listened to 1 episode of "Agenda Globală" and watched 3 episodes of "În căutarea adevărului" - I really got hooked, it's such a nice change from news reports or political analysis!

a pune căpat - położyć kres
răsturnare de situație - zwrot akcji
4 x
corrections are welcome

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)

Postby cjareck » Sat May 01, 2021 10:34 am

AroAro wrote:. One thing that makes this Assimil course special is that after each lesson there is a short text about Israel, its culture and history, something that I missed in Assimil Russian.

Assimil Mandarin has some cultural information in an attachment at the end of the book.
1 x

Hash
White Belt
Languages: Arabic (N)

Postby Hash » Sat May 01, 2021 1:21 pm

cjareck wrote:
AroAro wrote:. One thing that makes this Assimil course special is that after each lesson there is a short text about Israel, its culture and history, something that I missed in Assimil Russian.

Assimil Mandarin has some cultural information in an attachment at the end of the book.

Which edition?
0 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Sat May 01, 2021 2:14 pm

What is "Le Point"?
0 x

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Sat May 01, 2021 4:38 pm

Carmody wrote:What is "Le Point"?

It's a French weekly magazine, each issue has around 100 pages. "Le Point" has a more centric profile, unlike "L'Express" which is left-leaning.
2 x
corrections are welcome

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sat May 01, 2021 7:25 pm

Hash wrote:
cjareck wrote:Assimil Mandarin has some cultural information in an attachment at the end of the book.

Which edition?

I've got a Polish edition, but it has Assimil's Copyright from 1981.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”