AroAro's log (languages, books, certificates)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
AroAro
Green Belt
Languages: • Native - Polish
• Certified - C1: French, Italian, Romanian; B2: English, German
• Estimate - B2: Russian; B1: Bulgarian
• Learning - Czech, Hebrew
• Dabbled in - eo, la, uk, sw, lt, oc
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... d80b60a5e9

Re: AroAro's log Pусский and עברית

Postby AroAro » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:33 am

WEEKLY UPDATE

Russian - "Mówimy po rosyjsku", lesson 29 so only one lesson left. I mentioned that the course was centered around the same characters (Надя, Валя and Юра and some others), however it turned out there is no real plot or story so we don't really get to know them more. In the last lessons, they talk a lot about language learning so that's cool. And the quality of the recordings is astounding - there are background noises that are supposed to make the recordings more natural. For example, when the protagonists go by car, we can hear the engine starting and so on. The recordings made by Assimil seem quite "aseptic" in comparison though it would probably quite complicated to reproduce the backround noises for so many courses.

I will start working with Assimil's "Cahier d'exercices Débutants".

Hebrew - Assimil lesson 82. I have a feeling that these last lessons just go past me but I want to finish them and move to something else, more appropriate to my level.

English - "The Spectator" p.34-35, listened to 1 BBC Documentary Podcast and watched 1 video by Lindie Botes

French - "L'Histoire" p.26-29, watched 1 video by "L'Histoire nous le dira" and Linguisticae (this one was very interesting, about the current situation of Irish language, how it is disappearing and resurging at the same time)

Italian - "Panorama" p.64-71, watched 2 videos by "Nova Lectio"

German - "Der Spiegel" p.108-109, watched 1 video by MrWissen2go

Romanian - read 2 articles from DW Romanian Service, watched 1 video by "4fără15" (recommended by YT algorithm, the creator talks about reading books and she is open about her being introvert so that's nice)
5 x
corrections are welcome

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:59 am

WEEKLY UPDATE

Russian - I needed one week to finish Assimil's "Cahier d'exercices Débutants". I think I should have used it earlier (possibly while doing Assimil Le Russe Sans Peine) because the exercices are really for beginners. I liked it anyway (the layout is too colourful to my taste though) and it was not a waste of time. It's pleasant to do something not so demanding from time to time. Now, I'll work with another course by Wiedza Powszechna from 1976 called "Język rosyjski dla początkujących" - "Russian for beginners". The title is misleading - the authors say that the first 20 lessons are at the beginner level (I'll skim through them quickly) but the remaining 34 lessons are supposed to have a higher level. Suffice to say that the last lesson in the course is about space flights, planet Mars and its moons.

I stopped working on my listening skills in German and Romanian and concentrate on Russian instead - I'm listening to russianpodcast.eu and I find it great (11 episodes so far). It's all in Russian, the dialogues are engaging and the vocabulary seems to be taken from everyday speech.

Hebrew - I'm doing the very last lesson in the course, such a relief! I'll read the grammar overview at the end of the book and move to the 4th part of Shorr's Foundation Hebrew course for Polish speakers.

English - "The Spectator" p.36-37, watched 1 video by Atlas Pro

French - "L'Histoire" p.30-33, watched 1 video by "L'Histoire nous le dira"

Italian - "Panorama" p.72-74, watched 1 video by "Nova Lectio"

German - "Der Spiegel" p.110-115, watched 2 videos by MrWissen2go and listened to 1 episode of "Ausland - das Magazin" (it replaced "Echo der Welt" on NDR)

Romanian
- read 2 articles from DW Romanian Service, watched 2 videos by "4fără15"

And I just wanted to say that my baby was born without problems, although a few days later than expected. The kid is staying with his mom at the hospital but the visits are strictly forbidden so I still haven't seen them personally due to Covid restrictions.
10 x
corrections are welcome

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:08 am

AroAro wrote:And I just wanted to say that my baby was born without problems, although a few days later than expected.

That is great news! Congratulations both to Mom and the Child! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:18 am

cjareck wrote:
AroAro wrote:And I just wanted to say that my baby was born without problems, although a few days later than expected.

That is great news! Congratulations both to Mom and the Child! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Thank you :)
1 x
corrections are welcome

Caromarlyse
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1-ish), German (B2/C1-ish), Russian (B1-ish), Portuguese (B1-ish), Welsh (complete beginner), Spanish (in hibernation)
(All levels estimates and given as a guide only)

Postby Caromarlyse » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:00 pm

Congratulations! Hope you get reunited soon!
1 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:40 pm

מזל טוב!‏
2 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:16 pm

Deinonysus wrote:מזל טוב!‏

!תודה רבה

Caromarlyse wrote:Congratulations! Hope you get reunited soon!

Thank you! Indeed, we got reunited very quickly, just a few hours after my update last Friday! It came as a surprise because we thought the baby would be released from the hospital after the weekend. The good thing is that it sleeps a lot (unlike our first child) so I still have time for languages :) the other good thing is that I'm not working at this moment because I'm now on a sick-leave (according to our local regulations, the father is entitled to 2 weeks of sick-leave to take care of his baby's mother after childbirth) so I have some spare time that I can use for my language learning.

WEEKLY UPDATE

I divided my learning activities into 4 chunks that I do one by one when the baby sleeps:

1) going through the coursebook "Język rosyjski dla początkujących" - I've done so far 13 lessons
2) listening to the Russian Podcast by Tatiana Klimova (listened to 9 episodes this week)
3) reading the grammar section of Assimil L'hebreu (only 10 pages remaining, but I really want to nail the future tense this time so it won't be that easy)
4) reading a book - 10-15 pages daily. I'm now reading a collection of short stories by Korean author Jo Jeunghui in Polish translation. Then, I'll start reading my first book in Romanian ("Atlas Istoric Ilustrat al României")

Next week looks promising in terms of language learning as well, even though of course my priorities are now somewhere else.
6 x
corrections are welcome

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:56 pm

WEEKLY UPDATE

- "Język rosyjski dla początkujących" – I’m at the lesson 24 (out of 52)

- listened to 11 episodes from russianpodcast.eu

- almost finished reading the grammar section from Assimil, there is only one section left about ordinal numbers which should be easy because the names of the days in Hebrew are in fact ordinal numbers and I know these names quite good. Next – the 4th part of the course by Shorr’s Foundation

- reading "Atlas Istoric Ilustrat al României" – I’m at the page 74 but I must confess that I skipped altogether the chapters covering the 15th till 19th centuries. It was so boring that I couldn’t force myself to read it and I jumped directly from Middle Ages to 20th century.

I’m going back to work next week so I won’t have so much time for language learning.
3 x
corrections are welcome

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:43 am

WEEKLY UPDATE

Russian - I did 6 lessons this week from "Język rosyjski dla początkujących" and listened to 6 episodes from russianpodcast.eu

Hebrew - I got stuck at the page 11 of the course by Shorr’s Foundation. This is a one-page long text about Israel but it's full of new words and I had to google each unknown word because there is no glossary below (this course is not really for self-learners but should rather be used in classes). It takes a lot of time to check each word and honestly, I was really frustrated. But then, I remembered there are some OCR apps that are supposed to make a direct translation based on a photo, so I took a photo of the text and had an English translation within seconds! That was amazing and extremely helpful

I finished reading "Atlas Istoric Ilustrat al României", now I'll be reading in Polish. I also found some time for listening in my maintenance languages, the usual stuff - MrWissen2go, Poisson Fecond, Zaiafet, Nova Lectio and so on + listening to news reports in those languages, all that while working.
5 x
corrections are welcome

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:22 am

WEEKLY UPDATE

Russian - I did another couple of lessons from "Język rosyjski dla początkujących" and am now at the lesson 39 - only 13 lessons left to complete the course. I listened to 8 episodes from russianpodcast.eu

Hebrew - I must confess I've been very frustrated with my Hebrew study as of lately. Partially, it's the fault of the coursebook I'm using right now (I'm at the page 29 out of 97) but also the truth is that my vocabulary is still very limited - I forget very quickly new words and I cannot remember them just a few days later. For all my languages, I write down new words in a notebook and review them regularly - this method is effective right now for Russian but, for whatever reason, not so much for Hebrew. The other problem is that I don't really have one big reason to learn this language (for example "I want to read this book in Hebrew" or "watch this TV series in Hebrew" kind of thing) so that is also taking a toll on my learning process (rather, I have "small reasons" that keep me interested). I decided to rekindle my interest and started listening to "Kol Israel Reshet Bet" radiostation and of course I don't understand much but I like listening to the melody of the language and I can even recognize some random words and bits of phrases. It reminds me of my listening to NDR Info 5-4 years ago - I could not decipher what they were talking about either but now, a few years later, I can listen to German podcasts that are of interest to me and understand them without much problem. So who knows, maybe there is some hope in sight for my Hebrew as well :)

Regarding the vocabulary, I decided to finally do something about it. Inspired by Radioclare, who mentioned Memrise in her log, I gave it a go and I started a Polish-Hebrew vocab course based on "Hebrew From Scratch I" which promises to teach me 1325 words. So far so good, the first words are of course very basic but reviewing them gives me the feeling that I still remember something - I just need to expand my vocabulary. I'm not a big fan of language apps but Memrise is cool, I will use it in the future as well because to my surprise they have vocab courses for many small languages (Georgian, Lithuanian and so on) that I'd like to learn. I remember using Duolingo for Romanian in 2018 but I hated it immediately (at least, thanks to Duolingo, I can still remember how to say "owl" - "bufniță" in Romanian even though I've never encountered this word ever since!).

So that's how things are looking right now, I plan to concentrate more on Memrise than my current Hebrew course and hopefully, I'll see some results in the future!
5 x
corrections are welcome

Return to “Language logs”