Dabbling in some languages for the time being (mainly Asian languages plus improving my English)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Re: Just dabbling in some languages for the time being (mainly Asian languages plus English)

Postby AndyMeg » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:55 pm

Xenops wrote:
AndyMeg wrote:
THAI

I had previously watched a Thai series called “The Stranded” (เคว้ง). Now I kind of started to watch it again, but I’m mainly focusing on copying/transcribing the Thai Closed Captions (CC) in my smartphone. As I haven’t learned the Thai script it was a difficult task, but very interesting at the same time. I downloaded an input method for Thai in my smartphone and then I just tried to copy what I was seeing in the Closed Captions. There were a lot of similar letters/characters so I had to pay attention to very small details to tell them apart, but fortunately my previous experience learning Chinese characters has helped me to improve my ability to notice small details/differences.

I didn’t take the time for the first line I wrote, but on another day I took the time for a two-lines segment:

[เสียงผู้หญิงประกาศ]
คนที่จะเดินทางออกจากเกาะในวันนี้

I took me 12 minutes and 55 seconds to transcribe this in my smartphone via the Thai input method I downloaded. I noticed that the more I wrote the easier it became to find again previous letters.

As I want to get better at quickly telling apart the different Thai letters/characters I’m using one of the apps I had previously downloaded. The app lets me practice the writing by hand and also shows me the direction of the strokes and it has templates I can write over. I think that app doesn’t teach the pronunciation but that’s fine; for now I just want to get familiar with the Thai script without the sounds.

OMG I just finished "The Stranded"! It is so good! I really hope they get the second season on Netflix. :D

I have also been exploring SE Asian stuff on Netflix, and saw the Thai horror film "Shutter". Not sure if it's your cup of tea, but I enjoyed it.

Sorry it took me so long to reply!

This pandemic times are so chaotic!

I enjoyed "The Stranded" a lot! And I want to see a second season. But I'm also scared about the plot. I want it to be consistent with what we've seen so far, but it was such a crazy ride already that I'm scared the writers/producers may try something even crazier and the story may become an incoherent mess.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm usually not into horror, but I may take a look ;)

Happy New Year!
1 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Return to “Language logs”