Neoplanta log - German, French, Arabic, Urdu etc.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Re: Neoplanta log - Serbian, Hungarian, Mandarin, etc.

Postby Saim » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:44 am

Hungarian

A week or so ago I got bored of Munkaügyek. More recently I've watched the first two seasons of Aranyélet. I did my best to take it easy, although I went through most of the first season over the weekend, while skipping through lots of scenes. By the second season I was hooked and didn't skip anything. It's a good show -- I like how you can identify with the characters (well, most of them) despite all of them making dodgy decisions. I am going to take a break so I don't get too hooked and watch the third season a bit slower. Instead I'm going to move onto something a bit lighter: Egynyári Kaland.

I've also started taking 45 min classes over Italki. Although I'm still focusing mostly on listening being able to put it into practice helps motivate me.
2 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Saim
Blue Belt

Postby Saim » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:38 pm

Polish

Biegnij, chłopcze, biegnij, (original title: רוץ ילד, רוץ)
230 pages

Cool book, I'll definitely reread it if I ever manage to get my hands on the original. The action doesn't build much throughout it but it's a pretty interesting look into life in Poland during the Holocaust and not a particularly difficult read.

This is I think the first fiction book I've read in Polish from front to back. I'd like to read some original works too, although I'm probably not going to have much time to dedicate to that this year.

French

L'âge de discrétion, Simone de Beauvoir
128 pages

I got the version published by the Folio 2 € collection when I was in France. I see it was originally published in a collection of three novellas; I'd be fun to read the other two at some point.

Hungarian

I watched the first season of Egynyári kaland. A bit childish but a fun series overall, and definitely easier to take slowly than Aranyélet. Now I've started watching the third and final season of Aranyélet -- my goal is to not watch more than one episode per day.

Portuguese

I'm coming towards the end of The Circle: Brasil. I've stopped looking up words from it; I found it helped in the first couple of episodes but now it's overkill.

Unfortuantely I forgot there's audodescription and watched a substantial portion of the series without it. :(
5 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Saim
Blue Belt

Postby Saim » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:09 pm

Serbian

Lutkar - Justejn Gorder (original title: Dukkeføreren - Jostein Gaarder)
235 pages

A friend lent this to me, the original is in Norwegian. I didn't really get into it until page 150 or so, but I'm glad I read it.

Code: Select all

Fiction

Ana Marija me nije volela - Ljiljana Habjanović Đurović, 184 pages
Javna ptica - Ljiljana Habjanović Đurović, 303 pages
Uho, nož, grlo - Vedrana Rudan, 172 pages
Mundo libre - Marko Krstić, 232 pages
Ostrvo - Meša Selimović, 198 pages
Sjećanja - Meša Selimović, 256 pages
Američki derviš - Ayad Akhtar, 354 pages (translated from English)
Glad - Mirjana Bobić Mojsilović, 224 pages
Derviš i smrt - Meša Selimović, 369 pages
Ono sve što znaš o meni - Mirjana Bobić Mojsilović, 235 pages
Tvrđava - Meša Selimović, 373 pages
Niko i ništa u Parizu i Londonu - George Orwell, 180 pages (translated from English)
Neoplanta ili Obećena zemlja - Végel László, 257 pages (translated from Hungarian)
Dvojnici iz tame - Morea Banićević, 282 pages
Elitna prostitutka - Jasmina Ana, 192 pages
Lutkar - Jostein Gaarder, 235 pages (translated from Norwegian)

Total fiction: 4046
Total books: 4621

Flashcards

Now that I'm working more hours and have less free time I've had to revise my flashcard strategy.

Now I tend to study during larger blocs of time and limit the amount of new cards per day per deck to 3, or 5 in the case of Hungarian given that's my main focus. So if I add 20-30 cards to a single deck over the weekend, these come out through the rest of the week as a steady trickle.

This is quite bad for languages I'm less good at, since there's not enough "initial" contact for them to stick in my memory. I could probably mess around with the algorithm and make it so it shows me new cards more times before they're classified as "learned", but that's a bit of a hassle, so I'm just going to do Memrise. I don't get as buried in reviews as I used to when I would use Memrise several years ago; I can't tell if the algorithm's gotten better or if it's just that I'm better at studying and don't overdo it with the new cards in a single session. I also tend to add audio to almost all my cards, except for languages like Albanian that have little presence on forvo and no reliable TTS. So far my biggest deck on Memrise is for Turkish, and I think that'll be my main "hard language" focus for a while. Again, I try to add as many cards as I can in a single session and then study them more slowly over several days.

For Hungarian I might combine Memrise and Anki, since I can probably manage adding 20-30 cards a week to Memrise (over the weekend), and then 5-10 a week to Anki (on weekdays).

Hungarian

I'm still going to spend time listening to Hungarian but not push myself as much, and also go back to looking up words in novels. If I enjoy a YouTube video I'll also relisten to it on my mp3 player. For now I'm taking a break from series, too.
5 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Saim
Blue Belt

Postby Saim » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:55 pm

Serbian

Bljuzga u podne - Predrag Ličina, 243 pages

Another simple novel, published this year (apparently released for to the Croatian and Serbian market at the same time, to go back to our earlier discussion). The author is from Zagreb and the book is written in the Croatian standard. A sort of satirical comedy divided into three stories, the first two with science fiction elements and the third drawing from horror. Not laugh-out-loud funny but a fun read regardless.

Here's what the author had to say about whether Serbian and Croatian readers will experience the book in the same way:

https://www.laguna.rs/laguna-bukmarker-reditelj-predrag-licina-ima-novu-zbirku-novela-koja-je-pulp-unos-15808.html

„Bljuzga u podne“ praktički se istodobno pojavljuje u Hrvatskoj i Srbiji. Očekujete li da će publika s obje strane Dunava imati slične kodove čitanja?

Da slične? Iste modove! Ne postoje dva sličnija naroda na svijetu od Hrvata i Srba. Kakvi Kastiljci i Katalonci? Kakvi Česi i Slovaci? Kakvi Danci i Norvežani? Samo Hrvati i Srbi! Iako se svaka od tri nove priče odvija u Hrvatskoj – nije pretjerani problem zamisliti ih u susjednoj i prijateljskoj Srbiji. Samo u dijalozima izbaciš „ije“ i „je“, promijeniš u opisima ladicu u fioku, zdjelu u činiju, Cipar u Kipar i to ti je to. Mada, u srpskom izdanju to se neće dogoditi, jer knjiga izlazi u Laguninoj „Biblioteci bez prevoda“ krajem kolovoza. „Prevod“ je srpska riječ za „prijevod“, ha, ha… U Hrvatskoj knjigu izdaje Naklada Jesenski i Turk.

["Bljuzga u podne" is being released at practically the same time in Croatia and Serbia. Do you think readers on both sides of the Danube will experience it in a similar way?
Not just in a similar way, exactly the same! You couldn't find two peoples in the world that are more similar than Croats and Serbs. Castilians and Catalans, you say? Czechs and Slovaks? Danes and Norwegians? Nope, Croats and Serbs! Although all three stories take place in Croatia, it's not hard to imagine them in neighbouring Serbia. Just chuck out "ije" and "je" from the dialogues, call drawers fioka insead of ladica, use činija instead of zdjela for bowl, Cyprus would be Kipar instead of Cipar, and that's it. But that won't happen in the Serbian edition, because the book's coming out in Laguna's "Biblioteka bez prevoda" (No translation library) at the end of August. "Prevod" is the Serbian word for "prijevod" (translation), haha. In Croatia the book will be published by Jesenski i Turk.]

Fiction

Niko i ništa u Parizu i Londonu - George Orwell, 180 pages (translated from English)
Neoplanta ili Obećena zemlja - Végel László, 257 pages (translated from Hungarian)

Total fiction: 4289
Total books: 4864
Last edited by Saim on Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Saim
Blue Belt

Postby Saim » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:49 am

Serbian

Roman o Londonu (Prva Knjiga) - Miloš Crnjanski, 388 pages

This is a classic of Serbian literature. I found it pretty boring to be honest. There's also a second volume, I'm certainly not rushing to read that. I think I'll try Seobe at some point, though.

Fiction

Total fiction: 4677
Total books: 5252
2 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Saim
Blue Belt

Postby Saim » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:29 am

Flashcards

For a lot of languages I've started transition towards combining Memrise and Anki. In Anki I try to make my flashcards monolingual where possible, then if there are any new words in the dictionary definition I add them to Memrise. This seems to make it easier to create a web of associations between words faster.

I've decided that for "harder" languages or ones I've spent less time with I'll focus on sentence mining where I have both audio and text, adding the entire sentence audio to the card. I can also add i+2 or i+3 sentences as long as I add the other new words that I'm not testing to Memrise (esp. if I can find audio on forvo or TTS).

For Punjabi there's not much in the way of TTS or presence on forvo but GLOSS has a lot of Punjabi lessons with both audio and transcripts, so I'm going to basically just add sentences from there to Anki and not do much else. Consistent repetitive listening is also going to be important given the fact that Punjabi is a tonal language and having a decent accent will be pretty important in getting natives to take me seriously and not default to Hindi/Urdu. Urdu and Hindi sentences on the other hand I can take from any text I feel like reading.

For Chinese I'm adding everything I have in Anki to Memrise as well. The characters just make it that much harder; after an interval of 2 months I end up forgetting everything in Anki without extra revision.

I've also limited new cards per day on almost all of my decks to 1, except for Hungarian where it's 5 new cards per day, and Urdu where it's 2.

I've also started adding the postposition کا/کی to nouns in my Urdu Memrise deck so I am forced to remember the gender. Testing myself as if the article was part of the word works really well for the continental West Germanic languages, so I think this could do the same for Urdu. In Anki of course I use blue and red to mark gender, but that's not something available on Memrise.

Hungarian

I've just started reading a new novel and there were very few new words per page. Part of it is down to the fact that it's just an easy book, but I am encountering loads of words that I know I first came across this year, so it's still quite motivating to see how far I've come.
Last edited by Saim on Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
5 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Dagane
Orange Belt
Languages: I regularly use:
Spanish (N)
English (C2)
German (C1+)
Hungarian (A2?)

I formerly studied:
Galician (B2?)
Dutch (A1)
Czech (A0)
Portuguese (A2?)
French (A1?)

Postby Dagane » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:49 am

Saim wrote:Hungarian

I just started reading a new novel and there were very few new words per page. Part of it is down to the fact that it's just an easy book, but I am encountering loads of words that I know I first came across this year, so it's still quite motivating to see how far I've come.

I'm envious! I still struggle with some graded short stories, especially when they are excerpts from folk tales and old novels.
1 x

Saim
Blue Belt

Postby Saim » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:21 am

Serbian

Paunovo pero - Ljiljana Habjanović Đurović, 497 pages

A bit of a slog at points, but I overall enjoyed reading it. I find Habjanović a bit cynical at times; someone like Selimović has a lot of melancholy in his works but doesn't really leave me feeling sad after reading, which does happen to me with some of Habjanović's passages (because both the protagonist and the supporting characters are generally cynical and selfish). Here you do see some of the religious themes start appearing, which I hear are characteristic of her later works (her earlier stuff seems to be more a depiction of patriarchy and disfunctional relationships between men and women, even though I don't think she's ever self-identified as a feminist).

At some point I'd like to read Ženski rodoslov (which is AFAIK seen as her defining work), and then move on to her later works with more religious/historical themes.

Fiction

Paunovo pero - Ljiljana Habjanović Đurović, 497 pages

Total fiction: 5174
Total books: 5749

Dagane wrote:I'm envious! I still struggle with some graded short stories, especially when they are excerpts from folk tales and old novels.

Oh yeah, fiction's hard. I was intermediate when I started reading novels in Hungarian and it still took me quite a while to break into being able to understand much of anything. Good luck!
6 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Saim
Blue Belt

Postby Saim » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:53 pm

Polish

Why have I been using SJP/PWN all this time when WSJP is sooo much better? The latter has citations that show usage, full declension and conjugation tables, and even gives aspectual pairs for verbs! This is going to make studying Polish so much more fun. :lol:

Aragonese

Today I dabbled in Aragonese for a bit. I studied vocabulary from Mallacán lyrics, as well as new words in the monolingual Dizionario breu de a luenga aragonesa. I made 22 cards out of words from two songs + unknown words in definitions. It's awesome that Aragonese has a monolingual dictionary with example sentences; it's not anywhere near as big as the Galician or Asturian one but it's still a great resource. It's a shame it's not a website, but since the pdf isn't a blurry scan like the Pannonian Rusyn dictionaries it's still pretty usable.

Namely, I studied these two songs:

Maitín un nuebo amanixer, ta toz y totas
maitín un nuebo escureziu, ta totas y toz
nusatros queremos bibir, n'o País Zierzo
queremos fer reyalidá o suenio nuestro

Queremos fer reyalidá o nuestro suenio
porque queremos construyir un mundo nuebo
a nuestra traza de pensar no'n tiene d'amo
y que s'ubran as finestas d'o nuestro esmo

Tornarás á sentir as cantas d'a libertat
os diyas torbos s'alexan
enantar, con a güellada siempre entadebán
ye bibir con dignidat

Nusatros queremos bibir n'o País Zierzo

libres y en solidaridat con atros pueblos
que luitan cada diya por a perbibenzia
de no estar afogaus en o xubliu

Dende Chistau dica Teruel no bi ha desgana
n'o corazón un traqueteyo pleno de bida
dende El Campell dica Used, o puño entalto
s'amostra a la fin en l'orizón, a utopía

Aimar, sentir, a tierra que piso
aimar, sentir, l'aire que aliento
aimar, sentir, a nuestra luenga
aimar, sentir, o mío País Zierzo

Teneba bente añadas y o mundo s'eslampaba
Ya no quedaban mitos, ni ideyas, ni utopías...
y igual encara i somos esperando lo siñal,
Siñal d'o sabotache, ta que o sistema escrate.

Soniaba con un mundo berde y sin d'estrinques,
Pleno de pueblos libres, solidarios y orgüellosos.
y igual encara i somos conquerius y susmesos
Mirando d'abentar os prechuicios d'o tozuelo.

Asperando a reboluzión
Asperando a reboluzión
Asperando a reboluzión

Luitaba por crebar as mil caras d'o berdugo
Ixe puerco sistema que tortura y asasina
Agora mos trobamos con a maldita inzertidumbre
De no saber encara si estamos bibos u muertos.

Ya ba estando ora de que ubramos os güellos,
Barucas y complexos, afogan o nuestro esmo.
Imos enta debán u imos entazaga?
Atocha á o estau y bibe libre ya ta cutio.

Asperando a reboluzión
Asperando a reboluzión
Asperando a reboluzión

I added traqueteo and atochar to my Spanish deck, since they exists in Spanish and aren't in the Dizionario breu. I couldn't figure out what escrate, is supposed to mean, my best guess would be explode or collapse or something (es. pete, estalle, se reviente). I couldn't find escureziu anywhere but given the context I assume it means dusk or darkening (es. anochecer, oscurecimiento).

Aragonese is an interesting language. The vocabulary at least feels more different from Spanish than Asturian vocabulary does, and I'd say that even Portuguese is less different (or maybe it's just because I've spent more time studying these languages?). I guess this is in part because of all the Gascon and Catalan influence, as well as the fact that the main extant Aragonese dialects are spoken in isolated valleys in Upper Aragon, maybe if it was still spoken in Zaragoza (and La Rioja, southern Navarre, the "Comarques Xurres") the referential form of Aragonese would be more obviously Ibero-Romance, and what we now know as Aragonese would be seen as transitional towards Occitano-Romance.

I'll have to admit that I find it kind of pointless the way they go out of their way to flout Spanish writing conventions (reboluzión, bibir, and so on, even though it's pronounced the same or almost the same as in Spanish, Galician and Austrian, which all have revolución and vivir).
5 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:30 pm

Oh my God, Aragonese! <3

How do you deal with the lack of standardisation? Do you just choose one dialect or do you learn them all?
0 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Return to “Language logs”