From Weeklong Learner to Lifelong Learner (2020-2021)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Raconteur
Green Belt
Languages: ­✄ ✄ ✄
Fʟᴜᴇɴᴛ(ish): Polski, English
Lᴇᴀʀɴɪɴɢ: Français, Italiano
Pᴀᴜsᴇᴅ: Türkçe

Re: From Weeklong Learner to Lifelong Learner

Postby Raconteur » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:07 pm

WEDNESDAY, 29 JULY 2020
Finished CD3 PN this morning, and added the first few sentences to SRS, including the ones below. Late in the evening, a quick audio review and the few Anki cards due. (Total for the day ≈60 min)

Perché non vuole mangiare qui questa sera?
Why doesn't she want to eat here this evening?

–Dov’è il campeggio?
–Il campeggio è lì.
–Posso campeggiare li?
–Sì, può campeggiare li.

–Where is the campsite?
–The campsite is over there.
–Can I camp there?
–Yes, you can camp there.
1 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:17 pm

THURSDAY, 30 JULY 2020
Today, the first real challenge to maintaining consistency, since I started → after many years I am migrating to a new computer, which is very time consuming and tiring. Losing/corrupting decades of data while setting up a new system is always an anxiety-inducing experience for me. It’s something I put off for far too long, and of course, as with many things, the longer one waits the more difficult things tend to get. This time around, I waited until my 2012 computer literally died on me (RIP).

Anyway, motivated by this log, and my desire to keep going with Italian, I went ahead with some new lessons (PN CD4). I admit, there was some resistance to get started, but honestly, once I got going it was a welcome break from the digital nightmare I am currently dealing with. Language learning escapism. In the evening, audio review of few CD3 lessons. (Total for the day ≈35 min)

Dove posso trovare un taxi?
Where can I find a taxi?
3 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:46 pm

FRIDAY, 31 JULY 2020
I have arrived at the glorious ONE WEEK mark in my language learning quest, officially making me a weeklong learner, as the log’s title implies. Now all I have to do is maintain it. For a lifetime. No pressure.

Today, I continued the migration to a new computer. My sister is also visiting for the weekend from Copenhagen. Consequently, not much time for Italiano, but I tried to squeeze in some learning first thing in the morning. I audio reviewed PN up to 4.2 → no scriptorium today, but I am on track with my humble SRS deck. No fresh lessons today. (Total ≈30 min)
2 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:56 pm

SATURDAY, 1 AUGUST 2020
Another uneventful day, but a little Italian is still better than no Italian. Did a few more PN tracks, and audio reviewed the ones from yesterday. (Total ≈30 min)

–Altro?
–Sì, due caffè e il conto, per favore.

–Anything else?
–Yes, two coffees and the bill, please.
2 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:44 pm

SUNDAY, 2 AUGUST 2020
Happy to report that today was more of a productive day (Total ≈2h). In the afternoon I first audio reviewed yesterday’s PN and then started exploring another resource, Colloquial Italian: The Complete Course for Beginners by Sylvia Lymbery. I would like to focus on one written beginner resource in the upcoming months, but I am not so sure about, which series/method would be the best fit. On the one hand, I am quite drawn to the old-school Cortina “in 20 Lessons” series. However, I also find it a bit intimidating. From the first pages: "Lo is a direct object pronoun [...] and is attached to the infinitive…” etc. I think I would need to refresh my English grammar terminology before attempting to learn Italian with Cortina. The second option, Colloquial, is far more dumbed down… which I both appreciate and detest (so simple and yet so boring). Clearly, I am a hard person to please. Aside from these two, I’m considering other alternatives as well → Assimil, Teach Yourself, old Linguaphone. In the end, I can use many of these beginner resources to strengthen my grasp of the basics later on. However, for now I would like to pick just one, and only one, to chew on over and over. Any and all recommendations welcome.
3 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:32 am

MONDAY, 3 AUGUST 2020
Monday was the first day I have broken my streak, which is both good and bad. Bad, because streaks are nice (and consistent study is nice). Good, because as a helpless perfectionist, such setbacks are an important challenge to overcome. I tend to give up on various pursuits the minute I “drop the ball” → when I’m no longer perfect, I’m no longer motivated. This, of course, is a nonsensical approach. Everyone slips up sooner or later. Thus, I am actually quite happy that a break in my streak came so early in the process, this way I can tell myself: “see, this project is no longer perfect, but you will keep going!”

Sidenote, I did watch an episode of L'Amica Geniale, but I don’t consider that study time, not at A0 anyway.

TUESDAY, 4 AUGUST 2020
Today was another busy day, hence not much time for Italian. I did get a chance to audio review some PN from CD4. That’s about it (Total for the day ≈40 min). Extra: another episode of L'Amica Geniale with English subs in the downtime… although I don’t understand much beyond arrivederci, ciao, and of course various forms of cazzo. Plan to make more time for active study and new material tomorrow.
2 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:05 pm

WEDNESDAY, 5 AUGUST 2020
Finally finished Paul Noble (PN) CD4. Some of the new words seem trickier to remember, I don’t know why. Maybe I’m just having a bad day, and getting easily confused. Oh well. (Total for the day ≈45 min)

Aspettare
To wait

Comprare
To buy