From Weeklong Learner to Lifelong Learner (2020-2021)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Raconteur
Green Belt
Languages: ­✄ ✄ ✄
Fʟᴜᴇɴᴛ(ish): Polski, English
Lᴇᴀʀɴɪɴɢ: Français, Italiano
Pᴀᴜsᴇᴅ: Türkçe

Re: From Weeklong Learner to Lifelong Learner

Postby Raconteur » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:16 am

tangleweeds wrote:Oddly, I've found that I feel exactly the same way about Colloquial Irish. I wonder what's going on here. If you continue with it and have insights, I'd be interested to help put my finger on my issue with CI--which I'd like to get through, as they recently released CI book 2.
Well, I'm certainly glad to hear I'm not the only one! I was starting to feel a little nuts. Just like you, I'm also interested in Colloquial because of Part 2, but I'm not sure I will ever even care to get through Part 1. These courses seem put together well enough... so what's missing? If you figure it out first, be sure to let me know!

tangleweeds wrote:I myself am impressed with your dedication and progress. Many of us are less regular or prolific studiers or loggers than we'd like to me, so it's inspiring to watch someone take on this challenge so directly.
Thank you for your kind words, knowing someone like you reads over my log gives me the motivation to keep going.
1 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:10 am

FRIDAY, 4 SEPTEMBER 2020
First day back. All I did was SRS, but I’m still glad I did something.

SATURDAY, 5 SEPTEMBER 2020
Late, late in the evening; SRS + finally got back to Paul Noble (PN). Covered the past tense of –ire verbs (CD8 7-10). Then, a quick overview of Cortina Lesson 1.

“–ire” turns to “–ito from mosquito”

capire
To understand

capisco
I understand

ho capito tutto
I [have] understood everything.
2 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:58 am

SUNDAY, 6 SEPTEMBER 2020
In the afternoon finished PN CD8 then did some SRS reps. Later in the day, I began with the old-school Cortina book. I’m starting to devise a plan for how to tackle this course. I imagine I will need some additional help with the grammar, as I find the footnotes quite cryptic. My lazy Millennial brain demands nicely designed graphs and charts. More to the point, however, the core principle of this course is very much to my liking. I enjoy reviewing the sentences, following along with the audio while working out the meaning (and interaction between words) for myself. Molto buono!

“–ere” turns to “–uto from Pluto”

vendere
to sell

Ho venduto la macchina
I sold the car.

ho capito tutto
I [have] understood everything.

Perché non l'abbiamo venduto ieri?
Why haven't we sold it yesterday?

Mi hanno aspettato.
They have waited for me. [“mi” goes in front of HAVE verb]

MONDAY, 7 SEPTEMBER 2020
Another busy work day. I really need to figure out how to incorporate learning during such days. Usually I wait until I am done with work, but by that time it’s too late… I’m too tired. Yes, I could force myself to study, but is there really any point to that? Wouldn’t most of such “learning” be forgotten? In one ear and out the other. What are your thoughts on this? Do you force yourself to study, even at 1 AM, or is there a point at which it just doesn’t make any sense to even begin?
3 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:55 pm

TUESDAY, 8 SEPTEMBER 2020
In the evening did SRS reps and reviewed PN tracks from CD8. My goal for this week is to finish CD9 along with Cortina Lesson 1.

WEDNESDAY, 9 SEPTEMBER 2020
Today, I finally got started with new material from PN CD9 (1-5) + SRS. I was tired but decided to study anyway, technically finishing up on the 10th of September. Don’t tell anybody!

Vorrei un chilo di banane.
I would like a kilo of bananas.

Un chilo di pere, per favore.
A kilo of pears please.

–Può partire più tardi?
–No, devo andare adesso.

–Can you leave later?
–No, I have to go right now.

!!! When forming the past tense, NEVER use “have” with any form of coming/going.

Sono andato a Roma questa mattina.
I went to Rome this morning.

Sono arrivato a Chicago ieri sera.
I [have] arrived in Chicago last evening.

Sono partito
I left

NEVER: ho andato, ho arrivato, ho partito

Sono arrivato Sig. Roboto. Domo (domo), domo (domo)

I [have] arrived Mr. Roboto. Dome (dome), dome (dome)
Last edited by Raconteur on Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:49 pm

THURSDAY, 10 SEPTEMBER 2020
Another busy day at work. Couldn’t find time to study. Molto lavoro!

FRIDAY, 11 SEPTEMBER 2020
In the afternoon, PN review of the material I first learned on Wednesday (+) SRS. In the evening, I finally got to some serious Cortina book learnin’.

–Desidera lei parlarmi in italiano?
–Io desidero molto parlarle, ma io non parlo italiano molto bene.

–Would you like to speak to me in Italian?
–I want very much to speak to you, but I don’t speak Italian very well.

–Lei parla francese perfettamente.
–No, signore, io lo parlo un po' soltanto.

–You speak French perfectly.
–No, sir, I speak it only a little.

–Perchè desidera imparare l'italiano lei?
–Perchè io desidero abitare in Italia.

–Why do you want to learn Italian?
–Because I want to live in Italy.

Chi desidera parlare italiano?
Who wishes to speak Italian?

Sometimes I will add snippets to this log. Stuff that I found to be informative, motivational, or otherwise significant. Most will be from this forum. Here’s the first one:
Xmmm wrote:
How to Learn Italian

1. Do an introductory course. Duolingo is fine.
  2. Sign up for News in Slow Italian. Do about 200 of the articles (they are very short). As soon as possible, switch to the 'fast' version of the recordings (still slower than normal).
  3. Get a Netflix account. Watch 500 hours of TV. Watch a scene with no subtitles. If you don't understand it, roll it back and watch it with Italian subtitles. If you still don't understand it -- and it's critical to the story -- you can roll back and watch with English subtitles. But you have to limit the English subtitles to less than 5 minutes in a typical 45 program, so choose wisely.
  4. Start reading. You can kindle books in Italian by shopping at amazon.it -- it will ultimately direct you back to purchase at amazon.com but you'll see more reviews and selection at amazon.it
  5. Watch 500 hours more of TV. No subtitles.
  6. Get a tutor at Italki for informal conversation. Once a week is enough.

At this point you'll actually be pretty good at Italian (B2ish), except your grammar will still be a bit shaky. If it bothers you, study a grammar book to your heart's content. Otherwise, watch more TV and read more books.

4 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:02 am

SATURDAY, 12 SEPTEMBER 2020
Another missing day. I am starting to see a pattern here. I don’t like this pattern. I will fight it.

SUNDAY, 13 SEPTEMBER 2020
Only got to it late at night, but I did it → SRS + PN 9.6-9.9, covering the differences between verbs in past tense using either “to have” or “to be.”

With AVERE
ho//abbiamo mangiato (always the same)
ho//abbiamo preparato
ho//abbiamo trovato

With ESSERE (verbs indicating movement)
sono arrivato (m.)
siamo arrivati (m.)(pl.)
sono arrivata (f.)
siamo arrivate (f.)(pl.)

sono partito (m.)

siamo partiti (m.)(pl.)

sono partita (f.)

siamo partite (f.)(pl.)
3 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:25 pm

FRIDAY, 1 JANUARY 2021
After another long, unintended break, January 1st seems like a good time to begin anew… hopefully getting one step closer to becoming a resilient lifelong learner.

I will spend the first week reviewing material from 2020, hoping to jump to new stuff as quickly as possible. Today I reviewed all of Disc 1 of Paul Noble (PN) Italian. Fortunately, the foundations are still there, and I feel things are coming back quickly – a good sign.

Here’s to 2021 – may it be a good, productive year full of language learning and other sources of joy for all of you (and myself).
7 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:20 am

SATURDAY, 2 JANUARY 2021
Starting out the year slowly, focusing purely on staying consistent. Today just 20 minutes of PN, covering Disc 2.

FRIDAY, 15 JANUARY 2021
To get an extra kick of motivation I’ve decided to join the 365 Challenge. It will either keep me on track or provide yet another way for me to embarrass myself. Hopefully the former.

Today I started with another day of review: PN Disc 3. (≈60 min)
1 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:47 pm

SATURDAY, 16 JANUARY 2021
Started reviewing PN Disc 4 and did some Duolingo (DL) to round out the day. I haven’t used DL in years, and it looks like things have changed quite a bit! For better or for worse? TBD

SUNDAY, 17 JANUARY 2021
Planned to do more today, but at the very least I stuck to my goal of 30min+ for the 365 challenge. Finished reviewing PN Disc 4 and continued with DL (≈50 min).
1 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:37 pm

MONDAY, 18 JANUARY 2021
Another quick day. Paul Noble (PN) Disc 5.1-5.2 and Duolingo (DL) (≈30 min). Not much, but I’m meeting my daily goal, and that’s the most important thing right now. I'm planning to make one day this week “Italian day,” spending a good chunk of it doing all kinds of studying and immersion.

TUESDAY, 19 JANUARY 2021
Finished PN Disc 5 review and did a few DL lessons. The latter feels even more “gamey” than before, with systems that resemble gimmicky pay-to-win mobile games. Not sure why they decided to go in this direction (must be money I guess).

In the evening I returned to old-school Cortina, which is packed with good practice material but undermined by impenetrable footnotes. I'm aware that many on this forum find Cortina’s brevity and minimalist design refreshing – a relic of times before study materials got “dumbed down.” However, having grown up with such “dumbed down” materials myself, I’m finding it difficult to learn any grammar from Cortina's footnotes. I feel like I'm spending more time trying to extract the meaning from them than actually learning Italian. Not sure if I should persevere and get used to it, or simply use Cortina as a graded reader and seek grammar explanations elsewhere. (≈100 min total for today)
5 x

Return to “Language logs”