Jmar257's Language Log (ES, FR, DE) - Super Challenge, Assimil, and more

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jmar257
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), español (Intermediate), français (Lower Intermediate), deutsch (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=15645

Re: Jmar257's Language Log (ES, FR, occasional LA, eventually DE)

Postby jmar257 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:35 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
jmar257 wrote: I'm going to start a book on Genghis Khan, since I don't know a ton about him/his empire and people tried to cancel him on Twitter a week or so ago :lol:
There's a nice novelization of Ghengis Khan's life by Conn Iggulden, in his Conqueror series.

EDIT
Wikipedia's Ghengis Khan page mentioned a French novel that looks interesting too: le loup mongol.

Thanks! I'll check out the first, the second looks pretty cheap on Amazon as well so I'll grab that soon as well.

J'ai eu un peu de temps, ainsi j'ai complété la leçon 1 du cours FSI.
1 x
Feel free to give me corrections in any of my target languages!

jmar257
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), español (Intermediate), français (Lower Intermediate), deutsch (beginner)

Postby jmar257 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:54 pm

Une petite actualisation
FR: J'ai complété la seconde leçon du cours FSI French Phonology et j'ai fini le livre de Jack Reacher 61 Heures. À part ça je n'ai pas fait grand chose récemment. Je continuerai avec FSI et après mon livre courant je commencerai avec un livre français, possiblement ce sur Napoleon.

ES: Acabo de empezar Pablo Escobar: Mi Padre. Debo reanudar con Club de Cuervos o La Casa de Papel. No he hecho mucho recientemente.

EN: Haven't been doing a ton lately on the language front other than reading French...I'm going to be better about studiously doing FSI French Phonology in the mornings. I've been playing a lot of video games...
1 x

jmar257
Green Belt

Postby jmar257 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:15 pm

It's been a minute since I've updated this...almost a month. I'm afraid I haven't done much :( I finally beat Witcher 3 DLC and got the desire to play a bunch of video games out of my system for a bit I think, so there's that.

ES: I'm about 40% of the way through with Pablo Escobar: Mi Padre, it was slow going up until the past week because I just didn't feel like reading much of anything. Also started Huérfano X, which I was going to read prior to bed but I think I need to get a bit further because it's always a bit slower at first with new translators/authors, and I just don't like using my brain before bed. Also watched another episode or two of Club de Cuervos. I'll have to update my Super Challenge #s on the log soon...

FR: Nothing big here...finished lesson 4 this morning of FSI French Phonology. I figured I'd be done and onto French Basic by now...but motivation. It seems to be coming back, at least, and I am going to dive into a book on Napoleon someone on these forums recommended me soon.

EN: Finished my book on Genghis Khan, still slogging through Montaigne. Been watching Dark with subs, I enjoy it and it makes me want to dive into German. But I need to finish FSI with French before I think about that...
2 x

jmar257
Green Belt

Postby jmar257 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:59 pm

He terminado cinco lecciones de FSI French Phonology, la mitad del curso. Estoy andando a través de este curso más lentamente que he previsto, pero ando bien y he estado más activo recientemente. También estoy a la mitad del libro de Pablo Escobar, y creo que leeré un libro en francés después porque estoy experimentando un deseo por el francés a este momento. Debería citar un lección de iTalki, siento un deseo de usar mi español (en lugar de simplemente leerlo o escucharlo) y no tengo oportunidades en mi vida diaria.
3 x

jmar257
Green Belt

Postby jmar257 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:28 pm

Quick update because I haven't done much lately because of the coronavirus. By which I mean I've had it the past couple weeks. I've been pretty cautious throughout this whole ordeal and still got it, however luckily it wasn't bad--some sinus congestion early on and a cough that won't go away, but is improving. No fever, nothing else really, didn't even miss work for it. Probably some combination of a weak strain, the fact that I've been taking vitamin C, D, and zinc for months, and my inherent awesomeness :lol: Today is the last day I need to stay at home (not that I go many places anyway--mainly gym and grocery store).

Primarily what I've done is read and watch TV during this, as last week I was a little run down but this week I've felt mostly normal. I finished Club de Cuervos last night and will be picking Casa de Papel back up and maybe watching one of the Club de Cuervos spinoffs soon. I'm almost done with the Pablo Escobar book, which has been pretty boring for the most part, and thus not going super quick. I'll do a Super Challenge update soon, I just haven't really felt like reading much lately.

Looking to getting back to FSI French Phonology soon, that kind of fell by the wayside.

Edit: No need to add another post for this, but this afternoon was pretty calm in terms of work so I finished the Pablo Escobar book. It was meh overall, only a few really interesting parts. I will move on to Huérfano X (which I've read in English a few months back) and maybe a French book on Napoleon someone recommended to me here. I also might buy the Da Vinci code in French and reread it--saw someone else here talking about that, and I enjoyed that book years back.
3 x

jmar257
Green Belt

Postby jmar257 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:58 pm

It's been over a month since I've updated this, but that's because I told myself I wouldn't give an update until I finished FSI French Phonology. I don't want to type updates that are essentially "I read 15 pages and watch one episode of TV" so I decided to not post anything.

FR: I've finally finished that program and will be starting FSI French Basic shortly (was going to today, but my morning got filled with other things). This will be my regular morning thing (I detest the "morning routine" thing that was the craze a few years ago, even though that phrase is apt here). After I finish my current Spanish book (Huérfano X) I'll be starting something in French, originally it was going to be a book on Napoleon but I've been feeling the French version of The Da Vinci Code so I'll probably buy that on Kindle and start that.

ES: I've finished Club de Cuervos and and back on La Casa de Papel, probably going to ditch it when I finish the first season(/series/part/whatever) because it hasn't been that enthralling. The main motivation to continue would be to get more familiarity with Castilian Spanish. Speaking of, I noticed the book I'm currently reading was printed in Spain, which explains why it was a bit harder to get used to than other books I've read but I now am reasonably comfortable and reading at a decent pace (when the motivation is there at least). I've been chatting in a Spanish Discord server (although it's kind of boring) and have been pleasantly surprised how easy producing Spanish has been, although I'm sure it hasn't been without errors. Especially in comparison to how much thinking I had to put forth (and how repetitive and basic-sounding it was upon rereading) in the new French conversation thread for the post I made there. I suppose I should give the next update in the respective languages here, as that was half the purpose for creating this anyway...

I saw a vocabulary test in someone else's log (sorry, I forget who) a few days ago and took it in both languages as well as English and am going to post the results here for posterity. I took these a couple days ago but haven't been able to post:

English Vocab Size 12-7-2020.PNG

Starting with English. For all of these I'm paying more attention to the percentile rather than the absolute # because I'm sure we're all aware of the difficulties fraught with this and I don't need to rehash any of that here. This is not surprising, I'm a native speaker with a Master's degree and I have always read a lot (making an effort in the past ~7 years especially to read more books and less Internet). This was primarily for comparison purposes and curiosity's sake.

Spanish Vocab Size 12-7-2020.PNG

Kind of surprised here to be frank. I've read a good bit in the past year and a half, but I really doubt I am in the top 8% in terms of ranking. That said, this provides me a starting point to compare against in the future, so there's that. One thing that did annoy me and may affect these results is that there didn't seem to be an "I don't know" button so I generally picked the first answer--meaning there's a 25% chance each one I didn't know was actually marked correct. There weren't a ton of those for Spanish, however, but there were for French.

French Vocab Size 12-7-2020.PNG

I can't say I'm surprised by the absolute # here (who's to say it's 5,500 instead of 7,500? Although I'm sure it's not 3,500) but I'm surprised by the delta between this and Spanish. I certainly have more trouble reading French and am not ready to read books without the aid of the Kindle dictionary yet, but I wouldn't expected closer to 1/2 the number of words of Spanish rather than closer to 1/4. Ah well, this isn't really disheartening or anything--my plan was to read and listen/watch more anyway. I have a Super Challenge to finish. Plus it means there's still a good bit of low-hanging fruit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

jmar257
Green Belt

Postby jmar257 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:17 pm

ES: Ayer terminé el libro Huérfano X y recientemente comencé viendo Ingobernable. Me gustan ambos, y no estoy seguro de que estará mi próximo libro. Tengo unos libros de ficción (en forma física y digital) pero creo que no quiero leer ficción. Quizás voy a comprar una biografía o algo de historia. No sé.

FR: Je commencé à lire Da Vinci Code en français. J'aime ce livre et je ne l'ai pas lu depuis des années. C'est la version Kindle, parce que je ne suis pas prêt à lire le français sans le dictionnaire. Comme d'habitude, je suis soulignant les phrases qui contiennent des mots inconnus et je vais en faire des flashcards. Ce paragraphe était plus difficile d'écrire de ce de l'espagnol.
5 x

jmar257
Green Belt

Re: Jmar257's Language Log (ES, FR)

Postby jmar257 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:26 pm

I've not been updating this much lately, largely because it feels like I haven't been doing much beyond reading, and that makes for boring updates.

ES: Vi unos vídeos de YouTube en los últimos días y he estado viendo Ingobernable, pero nada más que eso porque me estoy enfocando en francés por el momento.

FR: J'ai fini la deuxième leçon de FSI French Basic et je lis le livre Da Vinci Code en traduction française. C'est tout. Je suis à 40 % du livre a ce moment.

EN: Reading What Goes Up and watching Ozark. Still in the middle of Montaigne's Essays, but have not picked that up in a couple of months. Also reading The Red Circle as my nighttime reading, but that always tends to be an easy, English selection.
5 x

jmar257
Green Belt

Postby jmar257 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:46 pm

Hace exactamente un mes desde he postado aquí. Terminé Da Vinci Code (en francés) y empecé con Infiltrado: Una novela de acción, suspense e intriga en español. Es okay, pero una razón que lo escogí era que este libro tiene menos que 200 páginas, y quería un libro corto. Me canso de ficción popular, creo que el próximo libro será Africanus. El hijo del consul. Sigo viendo Ingobernable también, y gracias a podcasts, estoy alcanzando con mi meta del Super Challenge. Necesito escribir algo sobre eso eventualmente, pero hoy no es el día. Para francés no sé que haré, tengo unos libros que puedo empezar.
4 x

Dagane
Orange Belt
Languages: I regularly use:
Spanish (N)
English (C2)
German (C1+)
Hungarian (A2?)

I formerly studied:
Galician (B2?)
Dutch (A1)
Czech (A0)
Portuguese (A2?)
French (A1?)

Postby Dagane » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:47 pm

jmar257 wrote:Necesito escribir algo sobre eso eventualmente (¡Spanglish!), pero hoy no es el día.

Cuidado aquí. Esto es un error de Spanglish súper común, lo puedes ver en tropecientas malas traducciones wikipédicas. Aunque yo creo que en toda América se comete ya tanto que lo están convirtiendo en una nueva acepción de la palabra... Pero a lo que vamos: en español, algo "eventual" es algo incierto que puede o no pasar y no se corresponde con la aceptación inglesa de "finalmente". De todos modos, en tu caso "finalmente" tampoco cuadra; yo diría "en algún momento" / "en el futuro" / "en otro momento", etc.
5 x

Return to “Language logs”