Arnaud's lazy log (Russian & co)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Re: Arnaud's lazy log

Postby Arnaud » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:52 pm

deleted
Last edited by Arnaud on Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:35 pm

Arnaud wrote:I feel frustrated by my horrible level but at the same time, as neofight78 has said, I feel more confident and less stressed. So it's rather positive, on the psychological point of view.

Frustration is good, it shows you where your gaps are. Try to note down things that you really struggled with, especially anything that you couldn't work around. Then use those notes to guide your learning. If you struggle to express something and then look up the key word, missing conjugation or new construction, it sticks so much more easily. If there's no frustration, it means you've not pushed yourself. I won't make the obvious exercise analogy ;)

Something that worked well for me was to take all the corrections, flesh them out into full sentences, and practice them. Not only does it help iron out any persistent mistakes but it also helps you practice saying exactly the kind of things you want to say, rather than what a course might think is useful.

Anyhow, it certainly sounds like you are having some good conversations, that's the key thing. If you can find people you really want to talk with, it can help you through the frustration. For a long time I found speaking incredibly difficult and frustrating, and I was chronically slow. But a breakthrough did come in the end, I'm a long way from perfect, but just to let you know that feeling won't last for ever.

Anyhow, I hope this encourages you to keep going. If you're anything like me, you probably speak a lot better than you think you do.
4 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt

Postby Arnaud » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:06 am

deleted
Last edited by Arnaud on Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:18 am

Arnaud wrote:You perfectly summed up what I think and couldn't express better with my poor english ;)

Well, yes, I realise I'm probably teaching Grandma to suck eggs :oops: :lol: Speaking is the most difficult and psychologically brutal part of language learning. I just want to encourage you to keep going :D

Arnaud wrote:...I also record the lessons in mp3, so I can listen again and correct myself what the tutor didn't correct (too many problems, he tackles only the more obvious ones)...

There are tutors who can talk and correct at the same time via chat. To me they are like gold dust, super valuable in that the conversation still flows, but at the same time you are left with bunch of corrections that you can review afterwards. Unfortunately most rarely correct and stop you to do so. So if anyone reading this thread has recommendations please chip in (if that's not hijacking the log too much) or PM me. I'm too lazy to record and review my lessons, plus I am aware there will be things that I just won't notice.
2 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:27 pm

I wish I could be facing the same difficulties you are, Arnaud. I'm still unable to actually have a conversation :lol:
2 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Arnaud
Blue Belt

Postby Arnaud » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:56 pm

deleted
Last edited by Arnaud on Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:57 pm

---
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by reineke on Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani

Postby Expugnator » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Arnaud wrote:
Expugnator wrote:I wish I could be facing the same difficulties you are, Arnaud. I'm still unable to actually have a conversation :lol:

I don't believe you... :mrgreen: :lol:
Come on, I read your log, I know you can write decently in russian, that you watch russian series since a certain amount of time, and that you have a ton of experience with other languages. I'm pretty sure you can have a conversation.

Believe me, Russian is out of this league, soon I'll be writing better Estonian than Russian.
1 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt

Postby Arnaud » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:14 am

deleted
Last edited by Arnaud on Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:07 pm

I read the blog post and listened to the session after the 2'. I can understand the tutor pretty well, she speaks very enunciatedly, but I'm not sure I can even reply to anything. I have to find a way to activate my knowledge.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”