Arnaud's lazy log (Russian & co)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Re: Arnaud's lazy log (Russian & co)

Postby Arnaud » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:09 pm

Little game: As it was question of dictations in another thread, I propose you a little dictation in russian for 1st class children (6 y.o). Needless to say I am completly unable to write it: I don't have the vocabulary and when I try to "guess" how to write the words, it's a total fail.
Dictation (solution tomorrow)
3 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:11 am

Диктант номер 26
жаркий денек
журчит ручей но в роще тихо
Только в гнезде пищат птенцы..

I used the speechnotes app. It could easily be wrong. Try the same with nos 27, 28 etc. I don't care to be able to write what I'm unable to pronounce.

The grove, murmuring brook, the nest, chirping chicks...that's children's literature. Kipper is cool too.
0 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt

Postby Arnaud » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:26 pm

Жаркий денёк. Журчит ручей. Но в роще тихо. Только в гнезде пищат птенцы.
Thanks to those who played.
1 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:18 pm

Arnaud wrote:Жаркий денёк. Журчит ручей. Но в роще тихо. Только в гнезде пищат птенцы.

I would've written it like this:
Жаркий денек (a kind of headline)
Журчит ручей, но в роще тихо, только в гнезде пищат птенцы.

But for 1st grade kids all these commas would be too complicated of course.
2 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt

Postby Arnaud » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:37 pm

aaleks wrote:But for 1st grade kids all these commas would be too complicated of course.
Yes, probably. I've copied the text as it's written in the book.
I try to write 2 or 3 dictations each evening (not all are recorded on the CD, unfortunately): some are geared toward difficulties: for exemple, unvoiced final consonants (difficult for me, as in french they are voiced), other are called "creative dictations". In fact, the more I progress in the book and the easier it becomes, as the vocab becomes more common: less animals, less trees...
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby reineke » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:13 pm

What was the problem here, though? Were you able to "hear" the individual words? Surely you knew the function words and some extra nouns, adjectives etc.

I did not know what Журчит, ручей, and роще meant and in my mind the last sentence evokes the picture of the little birdies taking a leak in their nest... Can you isolate these words?
Last edited by reineke on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:23 pm

Arnaud wrote: I progress in the book and the easier it becomes, as the vocab becomes more common: less animals, less trees, even if it's useful for me as I'm interested in botany in general and like to watch documentaries about nature, like to identify species when I walk outdoors...

Nature + kids stuff reminded me about these two writers: Виталий Бианки and Михаил Пришвин. I read their short stories about nature when I was a kid, but those were mostly about animals as I remember. And then there's a book I read when I was 10 y.o. - Необыкновенные приключения Карика и Вали by Ян Ларри. It's a kind of fantasy or something the like. Two kids and a professor drink some magic liquid, become very small and get lost... well, somewhere in a grass I guess :roll: . I don't remember it well enough, so I just give you a link to an annotation and several reviews https://www.livelib.ru/book/1000245950- ... -yan-larri .
1 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt

Postby Arnaud » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:42 pm

reineke wrote:What was the problem here, though? Were you able to "hear" the individual words? Surely you knew the function words and some extra nouns, adjectives etc.

I did not know what Журчит, ручей, and роще meant and in my mind the last sentence evokes the picture of the little birdies taking a leak from high above... Can you isolate these words?

I can detail, if you want... :roll:
Жаркий денёк. Журчит ручей. Но в роще тихо. Только в гнезде пищат птенцы.
Black: what I wrote correctly.
Blue: I guessed it was a diminutive of день, but didn't know the word (never met before): wrote correctly.
Red: not known, impossible to guess even if I know it's something for children: ручей: I tried to guess a word at the genitive (final -ей) based on the stem of -рук- (they give adjectives in -руч-): bad guess. Verb unknow: I heard "jourchit" (in french)
в роще: I hear "v rocher" (even after 6 years, I can't always tell the difference between the letter ш and щ, and believe me, I worked a lot on that, but apparently with poor results): vocab unknow.
в гнезде пищат птенцы: в гнизде (I know it's a locative, but I don't know the word, so I don't know where is the stress, so I don't know if I have to write е or и: bad choice). пишат (can't hear the щ, don't know my conjugations well enough, писать gives пишут, not пишат, so I write what I hear blindly, knowing it's wrong). птенцы: first pass, I don't hear the н, second pass I hear it, I know it's related to птица, but don't know the word. Gave up.
2 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby reineke » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:12 pm

The last time I wrote something in Cyrillic I was in elementary school. It will take me a bit of time to process what you wrote. If I understand correctly, you are having issues with ч and hard and soft "sh" or whatever they're called. If you hear them, unless they are in a known word, you may get confused. I hope I am not misinterpreting how a French person would read "jourchit".
1 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt

Postby Arnaud » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:57 pm

reineke wrote:The last time I wrote something in Cyrillic I was in elementary school. It will take me a bit of time to process what you wrote. If I understand correctly, you are having issues with ч and hard and soft "sh" or whatever they're called. If you hear them, unless they are in a known word, you may get confused. I hope I am not misinterpreting how a French person would read "jourchit".

Basically I have the problems every french beginner has : distinguish the difference between ч/ш/щ (ш exits in french + ч in english=>I can more or less recognise them, only щ is really difficult) and и/ы (and е/а/я out of the stress that any french native will hear as an approximation of и)+ devoiced consonants (грипп or гриб ? only the context can help you decide) + lack of vocab + a learning method based only on audio at the beginning. The result is a bad orthography in general (I write phonetically), that's why I do these dictations: to improve my writing, if it's ever possible.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”