C1 in German by 2021

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
slowmoon
Orange Belt
Languages: EN (N), DE (Int.)

Re: C1 in German by 2021

Postby slowmoon » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:34 pm

Sahmilat wrote:What is it that you're doing with the thesaurus? Just picking random words and copying out synonyms or what? I don't have a physical thesaurus myself but I'm interested in knowing what you do.

1) I downloaded the OpenThesaurus.de text file from here: https://www.openthesaurus.de/about/download
It's about 40,790 word groups.

2) I open the text file with FLTR (Foreign Language Text Reader): https://sourceforge.net/projects/fltr/
Some people use LWT (Learning With Texts), but this one seemed like it was easier to install. I configured FLTR to look up words on http://www.linguee.com (great example sentences) and http://www.dict.cc (real audio recordings)

3) I read each group of words (or phrases) and try to recall or guess the meanings and genders. The thesaurus has (Hauptform) next to the main term, and has (ugs.)/(veraltet)/(derb)/(ironisch)/(fachspr.)/(Amtsdeutsch)/etc. next to other words.

4) Then I look up 0-3 words per group of words and see if I recalled correctly. Then move on to the next group.
I don't review any words, but there is a certain amount of repetition in the thesaurus itself because individual words reappear in phrases, and because words with multiple definitions end up appearing in multiple groups.

I have no idea how well this will work so I don't suggest it to anyone. I plan to do some vocabulary testing in September.
5 x

slowmoon
Orange Belt

Postby slowmoon » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:36 pm

Change of plans. Instead of taking the C1 placement test in August, I'll save it for later. Why take it in August if the best possible result is going to be a recommendation to take a C1 course? Instead, I'll retake wortschatz.tk to see how well this thesaurus study is working. I'm up to the 8,000th word group and doing 500 per day. If I don't miss any days, that will be 20,000 word groups by early August. If I can recognize even a small percentage of the new words I'm looking up, my passive vocabulary should get a big boost.

I found an interesting data point: a native English speaking Reddit user who lives in Germany, works as a translator, and passed the C2 exam. He or she took the wortschatz.tk test and scored 29,500. https://www.reddit.com/r/German/comment ... any_words/

So now I have fairly reliable sources indicating that well-educated native speakers score 40,000-50,000, B2 learners score around 15,000, and one C2 learner scored 29,500. From there, we might guess that a C1 learner should score somewhere between 15,000 and 29,500. If I can score over 20,000, then I can deemphasize passive vocabulary study and spend the rest of the year focusing on output.
6 x

slowmoon
Orange Belt

Postby slowmoon » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:07 pm

I'm getting bored of thesaurus and grammar study. Dropping both for now. So here's an early update.

Jun 5 wortschatz.tk: 17800
Jul 11 wortschatz.tk: 19500

20 days of thesaurus study. 10,000 word groups. Over 10,000 dictionary look-ups including the intensive reading ones. Not thrilling, but I'm satisfied with that.

Now I turn my attention to listening. Soon, I'm going to do a lot of speaking sessions with a tutor and I want those sessions to be 100% in German. They won't be fun or productive with rusty listening skills.

Current Routine:

300 sentences of Intensive Listening (making sure to understand 100%)
12 pages Intensive Reading (looking up all unknowns)
1 hour of active listening to a series or audiobook (paying close attention but without pausing or replaying)
3 x

slowmoon
Orange Belt

Postby slowmoon » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:09 pm

August Update

Output!

Current Routine:

200 words Writing
1 Hour Speaking
12 pages Intensive Reading, 50 pages Extensive Reading

Notes:

Created green sheet.

Switched all software to German.

Retook Dialang Listening Test and scored C1. That's an improvement over the first time.

Repurposed old laptop as German television for passive listening. Made sure to include Austrian, Bavarian, and Swiss accented content.

Started speaking with people on a Discord server in German. Both natives and non-natives. The gap between what I can understand and what I can express is huge.

Scored 68% on an ILR 3-rated reading test. 70% would've been ideal for professional purposes. Missed it by one question. I can retake it later this year.

Wrote 500 words on two topics. Self-corrected with DeepL. Needs a lot of improvement.
7 x

slowmoon
Orange Belt

Postby slowmoon » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:28 am

Die Verlorene Woche

A storm disabled my internet access for seven days. Without access to online dictionaries and materials, my desire to read and write evaporated. I also missed my first session with my tutor and all sessions with speaking partners. After going to the public library to use their connection, I was told that they didn't want people sitting inside the building because of the so-called crisis. After canceling my first trip to Germany, it seems the world wants to know: how much do you really want to learn German? And I suppose the truthful answer is: if you're going to make it difficult, then not enough. I could've used a paper dictionary, or asked relatives or friends to study at their houses, or used some coffee shop, but I kept thinking that my access woud be restored soon enough. The only studying I was able to maintain was some listening practice, as I'd recently gathered a bunch of offline material for my passive listening. There are some long interviews that Günter Gaus did with Hannah Arendt, Gustaf Gründgens, Golo Mann, and Konrad Adenauer I've listened to so many times that I'm sick of them. This lost week has made me realize that I'm living in a relationship to my surroundings that is extremely infantile. I rely heavily on access to a tool that I can't build, maintain, repair, or control. I simply hope that someone out there will keep it functioning and give me access, like an infant blindly searching for a breast. A bit disturbing to think about. But we're not here to talk about that. We're here to learn languages. Weiter!
8 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:58 am

slowmoon wrote: This lost week has made me realize that I'm living in a relationship to my surroundings that is extremely infantile. I rely heavily on access to a tool that I can't build, maintain, repair, or control. I simply hope that someone out there will keep it functioning and give me access, like an infant blindly searching for a breast. A bit disturbing to think about. But we're not here to talk about that. We're here to learn languages. Weiter!
I used to live on a farm; power and telephone/internet outages were a common thing. We used to have back ups to cope with that: candles, a clockwork radio, and internet access via a USB dongle that connected to a mobile phone network.
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:06 pm

s;lowmoon wrote:...This lost week has made me realize that I'm living in a relationship to my surroundings that is extremely infantile. I rely heavily on access to a tool that I can't build, maintain, repair, or control. I simply hope that someone out there will keep it functioning and give me access, like an infant blindly searching for a breast. A bit disturbing to think about. But we're not here to talk about that. We're here to learn languages. Weiter!

I live in the Caribbean. When Hurricane Maria struck, I was without electricity for almost three months... and I am a language-learner. How did I manage?

One of the good things about being alive in the 21st Century is all the amazing web based tools we have available with which we can learn languages. Online dictionaries are a great convenience. One can still learn without them and still use electronics even when there is no web access.
DaveAgain wrote:I used to live on a farm; power and telephone/internet outages were a common thing. We used to have back ups to cope with that: candles, a clockwork radio, and internet access via a USB dongle that connected to a mobile phone network.

When I got electricity back around Thanksgiving 2017, my wired internet took another four months to return. Without electricity, I still had to work and my cell phone was my lifeline. I had upgraded to unlimited data and I tethered my phone to my laptop for internet. Bandwidth was limited so no streaming video, but it was enough to do my job.

Living in a condominium, we are not allowed to have generators no matter how "super quiet" they may be. So, I had two car batteries and an inverter plus a solar panel to charge the batteries and rotate them out. This allowed me to work charge my tablet and phone. I even downloaded my daily language listening podcasts- though much more slowly.

What helped me more than anything was having content to hand and not depending on online tools. I do most of my learning through a tablet. I prefer an old school pdf, which I can edit and read in "night mode" on my tablet, to app based learning and even to hard copy learning. If I am reading, I have several pdf dictionaries in all my languages which are searchable. If they are around 300 pages, I can scroll through them quickly and save time over using the search feature. I can copy and paste a definition if I am feeling lazy. Then I can insert the definition into my highlighted text and it reduces to a little clickable balloon with the word highlighted. After I've done my reading, say 10 pages or so, I can check out my "comments list" and see all my notes. I can touch them and it will take me right back to the word or phrase in context to reinforce my learning. I usually physically enter the definition as I find the act of doing so helps to reinforce it in my mind.

My Kindle has a pop-up dictionary for some of my languages. I can use the device on a full charge for several days. Kindle also has notation features.

Before electronics, people used paper dictionaries in a device called "books". They took notes on paper too in something called a "notebook". This can still be done today. So, where there is a will, there's a way. App based an online based learning is a godsend until it goes away. Don't let that stop you. If I lose it all again... it is Hurricane season again and the National Hurricane Center is calling for a record season this year, I can still make it happen. My tablet will charge in a couple of hours. On it I have books in various formats; pdf dictionaries; grammar resources; parallel texts; audio; even video. In fact, I only sparingly use wifi with my tablet.

It is amazing what can be done with pdf- how texts can be annotated and made to be more useful. With full pdf writer software, I have many more options to customize my texts on my laptop and transfer the files to my tablets. Reading a parallel text on a tablet is so much better than in a physical book or, two books, or two side by side windows on a computer screen. I can open up the text and expand L2 to take up the whole screen. I can then scroll over, if I need to or want to, to check the original or the translation. You can make your own parallel texts easily. Yeah, there's a little work involved.

These days, a cheap 10" android tablet can be had for under a hundred dollars US. I have a 10" one and a 7" one, as well as a kindle dedicated e-reader with e-ink. To myself, I call them my 'language-learning machines". These devices are critical to my learning and with the, I can be independent of the web. You can too, you just have to break yourself from the app/web based mindset. Yeah, there's some work involved, again, but the payoff is worth it even if you don't lose electricity and the internet for months. What I have described, I do everyday. It's worked pretty well for me over the years.
10 x

slowmoon
Orange Belt

Postby slowmoon » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:06 pm

Mission Aborted

I just arrived in Mexico and I'm studying only Spanish here.

The lost week gave me a lot of time to think. Not just about internet and power outages, but about the many ways in which I was living an unprepared, passive life. So, in addition to installing a bunch of hardware redundancies and offline data backups, I've decided to take action and make a move.

Spanish will massively expand the portion of the planet where I am comfortable living, working, playing, and exploring. Here, there are enough deserts, jungles, pyramids, temples, languages, people, and mysteries to last me a very long time.

I'll resume German at a later date. Good luck with your language learning, everyone!
7 x

Return to “Language logs”