Throwing Mud at the Wall - Beginner Spanish

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
FeoGringo
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Re: Throwing Mud at the Wall - Beginner Spanish

Postby FeoGringo » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:32 am

November 2022 - Update

Total Hours for the Month: 15 hours (or 30 minutes a day, however the time was not divided evenly, some days I logged a lot more time than others, plenty of days where I did nothing)

Here is the breakdown of how this time was spent:

Paul Noble Complete Spanish Course:
Lessons 1-21 (a bit over 8 hours), haven't learned anything new yet. The plan is after Paul Noble to complete Language Transfer once and for all.

Anki Migaku/subs2srs Transcription/Intensive Listening:
(Almost 6 hours) - Currently working through the first episode of La Venganza de las Juanas
Primarily a deck of audio cards (audio clip on front), Spanish and English subtitles on back. I am basically abusing Anki with these audio cards. It is strictly for intensive listening. I first listen, then listen to the clip as many times as necessary to transcribe as much as I can, then look at the back, I will check the Spanish subtitles against SpanishDict, ReversoContext and DeepL to see if there is a better English subtitle than the Netflix ones, it also allows me to examine unfamiliar vocab, and structures. So it is a fairly intensive activity but one I enjoy. It is also an imperfect activity as very few shows have perfect matching subtitles, but I guess it's a listening comprehension booster that I can pick out words that I hear in the audio clip but are not in the subtitles.

123TeachMe Audio "Quizzes":
Let's call this my "graded listening" work
(1 hour) Beginner Low Quizzes 1-30
Just short audio clips with 1 or 2 multiple choice questions after each clip. The Beginner Low segments are painfully slow, might make more sense to skip up a level or two and see where it starts to be challenging or just try quickly work through 123TeachMe. I might abandon this altogether in favor of working my way through SpanishListening.org's website.

Time not logged:
Using Spanish at work with clients. It does not amount to a huge chunk of meaningful time. And in my mind use of the language "in-the wild" is different than studying or active learning.

Pitiful total hours for the month, in my opinion. But the main focus is completing the Paul Noble course and continuing with my intensive listening/transcription practice.

I have tons of ideas about other things I want to give my focus to in the future. FSI Programmatic and/or FSI Basic, utilizing RadioAmbulante in a "listening/reading" manner. Working through the listening exercises in GLOSS.

Next month, besides finishing Paul Noble, I will try to not have any days without some kind of contact with Spanish. I will also try to up my hours.
5 x

FeoGringo
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Re: Throwing Mud at the Wall - Beginner Spanish

Postby FeoGringo » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:35 pm

Paul Noble course completed. I did not really learn much new in this course. I liked that there were native voice actor examples in Latin American and Spain, although strangely later on in the course they decide to drop the Latin American actor. A few of the end units were just numbers and the alphabet.

Next will try Language Transfer which I never managed to get through but I will limit myself to one lesson a day while doing other things for Spanish.
5 x

Return to “Language logs”