Deutsch and magyar

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Dagane
Orange Belt
Languages: I regularly use:
Spanish (N)
English (C2)
German (C1+)
Hungarian (A2?)

I formerly studied:
Galician (B2?)
Dutch (A1)
Czech (A0)
Portuguese (A2?)
French (A1?)

Re: Deutsch and magyar

Postby Dagane » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:03 pm

ProtectKutyas wrote:Here are some resources I'd recommend (not sure if I can't post links or not):

https://discord.gg/xkJvAPg - Hungarian learner discord server (...)

When it comes to grammar I used a book called essential grammar by carols rounds (...)

You can also search for hangoskönyv in YouTube and there are a few playlists that have 300+ audio books (...)

Lastly you can also get a decent amount of content on netflix now too, but to access it you need to go into profile settings and switch the language to magyar.

Thank you for the tips! Especially for the forum and the YouTube trick. I'm not very good at watching TV; I rarely have the patience for it, it bores me. However, I like reading and audiobooks sound like a good idea, plus I can play them at a slower speed. I like listening to the radio too. That I do, but I lack vocabulary to grasp enough of the topics that are discussed.

Your comment on the book by Carol Rounds interests me. Is it really good? I read different opinions about it. People tend to find it useful (including Alex Rawlings if my memory doesn't fail me. Edit: it failed me, he made a video about a different grammar book) up to a certain point, beyond which the book becomes increasingly difficult to follow. At the moment I'm following no book other than the FSI course. I'm thinking in buying one but I am undecided about which one I should order.
Last edited by Dagane on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

ProtectKutyas
Languages: English (N), Hungarian (B2/C1), French (A2)

Postby ProtectKutyas » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:07 am

Audio books might feel like a baptism by fire at first, but stick it out. Obviously there isn't really any graded readers or anything for Hungarian so you basically have to use content made for natives, so maybe try and start off with some easier books you're already familiar with. And yeah read along if you can. I've done a lot of reading and it helped immensely. I've only started the listening-reading method recently but I wish I'd heard about it before.

Imo the essential grammar book is really good. I know a few people who have used it and gotten to a high level. But the book really only explains the grammar and gives a few examples (there is no work book like other courses) - but for me this was perfect, all I wanted was the grammar explained. I'd read a small section each day and then try to recognise that piece of grammar in my reading.

I noticed some of the mistakes in your Hungarian writing (things like using the conjugation for you instead of it, or using szókat instead of szavakat etc). The book does a really good job of explaining all the cases, plural / accusative plus exceptions etc.

If you're not convinced with the book just look for a PDF online and work through it, if you think it's good then buy it. But learning basic grammar combined with lots of input is the best way to learn I think.

Also I'm more than happy to help you out with learning. I'm very familiar with learning Hungarian and have helped a few others, so feel free to PM me if you have language specific questions too.
0 x

ProtectKutyas
Languages: English (N), Hungarian (B2/C1), French (A2)

Postby ProtectKutyas » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:17 am

tarvos wrote:Well when I switch settings it's just subs and dubs, but you don't get access to the content from the Hungarian Netflix, which is kind of the thing I want. Because it's not available in my country.

What content are you specifically looking for? I don't think there are many (if any) shows or movies on netflix that are originally in Hungarian. 99% of the Hungarian content on netflix will be dubs and/or subs.

I'll double check with a friend who lives there but I'm pretty certain. You're honestly lucky to get dubs /subs on it because that's only a recent addition, like at the end of last year?

There are a few websites that have older Hungarian movies for free (legally), but a lot of the older movies on there have almost no dialogue, so it'd be a waste of time from a language learning perspective. You could try watching Mézga család or something, pretty sure there are a lot of episodes of it on YouTube. You could also search for népmesék on YouTube (like kids cartoons, tales etc).
0 x

Dagane
Orange Belt
Spanish (N)
English (C2)
German (C1+)
Hungarian (A2?)

I formerly studied:
Galician (B2?)
Dutch (A1)
Czech (A0)
Portuguese (A2?)
French (A1?)

Postby Dagane » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:39 am

ProtectKutyas wrote:Imo the essential grammar book is really good. I know a few people who have used it and gotten to a high level. But the book really only explains the grammar and gives a few examples (there is no work book like other courses) - but for me this was perfect, all I wanted was the grammar explained. I'd read a small section each day and then try to recognise that piece of grammar in my reading.

Thank you! I do like the way the book sounds. I found this free website where I am learning my grammar from. Perhaps you could take a quick look and tell me whether the explanations are OK or way too simplistic:
http://www.hungarianreference.com/sitemap.aspx

I also found graded short stories. There is the FSI book and there are also websites. But frankly, I started learning Hungarian at the end of April this year and even the easiest story is still difficult to read. I get the overall sense and that is it. Same for my writing. When I wrote my first text I had only been studying for 2 weeks, but I think it is a good way to practise new vocabulary so that words and grammar rules stick into my head. I found useful your comment on YouTube films, although of course I'll have to improve my Hungarian first.

I'm curious about your own experience. I read in your log why you were good at Hungarian as opposed to other languages and decided to study it in depth. But how did you actually do it? Did you use exercise books or travelled to Hungary? Did you attend classes or you learned on your own?
0 x

Chmury
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Castellano (Adv)
German (Int)
Dutch (Int)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1516

Postby Chmury » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:51 am

Deine Sprachgeschichte Dagane ist ganz spannend. Du hast wohl eine tolle Menge Sprachen studiert. Früher hatte ich auch eine ungarische Freundin und sie hat es immer mit ihren Eltern gesprochen und hörte auch gerne ungarische Musik häufig zu. Ich fand die Sprache sehr faszinierend und andersartig. Ich konnte nie davon etwas ausmachen, obwohl ich davon für viele Jahre im Beisein war und auch mit ihrer ungarischen Musik mitsang. Wie findest du Ungarisch? Geht's dir das Lernen gut?
0 x
Hindernisse und Schwierigkeiten sind Stufen, auf denen wir in die Höhe steigen

Dagane
Orange Belt
Spanish (N)
English (C2)
German (C1+)
Hungarian (A2?)

I formerly studied:
Galician (B2?)
Dutch (A1)
Czech (A0)
Portuguese (A2?)
French (A1?)

Postby Dagane » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:40 pm

Chmury wrote:Deine Sprachgeschichte Dagane ist ganz spannend. Du hast wohl eine tolle Menge Sprachen studiert. Früher hatte ich auch eine ungarische Freundin und sie hat es immer mit ihren Eltern gesprochen und hörte auch gerne ungarische Musik häufig zu. Ich fand die Sprache sehr faszinierend und andersartig. Ich konnte nie davon etwas ausmachen, obwohl ich davon für viele Jahre im Beisein war und auch mit ihrer ungarischen Musik mitsang. Wie findest du Ungarisch? Geht's dir das Lernen gut?

de
Hallo, Chmury! Bevor ich etwa Ungarisch lernte, hatte ich mich nie für die Musik aus Ungarn interessiert. Momentan finde ich sie toll! Interessant ist, dass du das Thema herausbringst.

Ich wollte für ein paar Jahren andere Sprache lernen, aber ich entschiedet mich nicht dafür, welche Sprache zu lernen. Es war auch wichtiger, Deutsch weiterzuentwickeln. Wenn ich versuchte, andere Sprache zu lernen, war es, als ob ich Deutsch verlernte. Die deutschen Wörter verschwanden! Mein Interesse für Ungarisch kommt in der richtigen Zeit, weil mein Kopf das Deutsch besser behalt.

Nun habe ich Ungarisch für weniger als zwei Monate gelernt, deshalb habe ich eine exakte Idee von der Sprache noch nicht. Ich mag sie, weil das Syntax flexibel ist. Die meisten Wörter sind kurz und ich kann mich trotz ihres Exotismus an ihnen erinnern. Es gibt viele Deklinationen, aber es gibt kein Genus und deshalb sind die Deklinationen einfacher. Mal sehen! Es ist noch früh, um zu viele Eindrücke zu haben.

Momentan fokussierte ich mich auf den Wortschatz. Jeden Tag lerne ich solche neuen Wörter, die ich von verschieden Orte nehme, und ich mit Mondy eine kurze Lektion habe. Das ist gemeinsam zwanzig oder dreißig Minuten. Einmal pro Woche lerne ich eine Lektion FSIs, die ich zwei- oder dreimal wiederhole. Ich spreche auch ein bisschen mit meinem Freund und seine Freunde. Schließlich lese ich kurzen Geschichten, schreibe hier kurzen Texten, höre das Radio und lerne Grammatik. Alles mache ich einmal pro Woche in verschiedenen Tagen. Ich versuche, alle Fähigkeiten zusammen zu bauen.
2 x

Dagane
Orange Belt
Spanish (N)
English (C2)
German (C1+)
Hungarian (A2?)

I formerly studied:
Galician (B2?)
Dutch (A1)
Czech (A0)
Portuguese (A2?)
French (A1?)

Postby Dagane » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:02 pm

hu

Ma esta az utolsót lecket németül van, és azért egy kicsit szomorú vagyok. Nyaron nem tudom, ahogy akarok azt nyelvet tanulni. Talán minden kedd intenzívet tanulást csinálom, mintha osztályban. Más napokban olvasok és újakat szavakat tanulom, bár azt minding csinálok.

Hogy magyarullal vagyok? Még próbalók a szótáram jávítni. Nyelvtanom gyenge, mert ezek az szavak néhez vannak, de én a szavak tudom. Egy könyvet vettem, és akarom vele a nyelvtanomban dolgozni.
0 x

Dagane
Orange Belt
Spanish (N)
English (C2)
German (C1+)
Hungarian (A2?)

I formerly studied:
Galician (B2?)
Dutch (A1)
Czech (A0)
Portuguese (A2?)
French (A1?)

Postby Dagane » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:58 pm

de

Mein Kurs ist schon beendet. Ich habe meinem Lehrer bloß gefragt, ob mein Niveau C1 ist, und er hat es bestätigt. Na ja, wenn er es sagt. Ich wollte die Prüfung nehmen aber wir wissen nicht, wann das möglich wird.

Zweimal habe ich dieser Woche jeweiligen Episoden Tatorts ferngesehen. Im Allgemein lese ich gern und treffe ich mich mit Leuten. Das Radio höre ich auch gern. Dagegen bin ich mit Serien und Filmen ungeduldig und die meisten finde ich langweilig. Ich würde eher Sport treiben, Gedichte schreiben oder im Internet surfen als eine Folge vollenden. Es ist dann nicht überraschend, dass ich in ihren Dialogen allzu oft verlaufen werde. Die Lösung ist doch klar: ich sollte häufiger fernsehen. Deshalb sehe ich Tatort fern, der sehr bekannt und beliebt in Deutschland ist. Die erste Folge, die ich gesehen habe, wurde in Bayern entwickeln. Ach Mist, so viele umgangssprachlichen Dialogen und dieser Akzent… Ich habe nur genug verstanden, um das Drehbuch einigermaßen zu folgen. Andererseits stattfand die andere Folge in Köln und Mann, das konnte ich ja ohne Hindernis genießen! Ich wird wahrscheinlich mehr Folgen in den folgenden Tagen sehen.
2 x

Dagane
Orange Belt
Spanish (N)
English (C2)
German (C1+)
Hungarian (A2?)

I formerly studied:
Galician (B2?)
Dutch (A1)
Czech (A0)
Portuguese (A2?)
French (A1?)

Postby Dagane » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:09 pm

de

Ich habe das Buch „Ein fliehendes Pferd“ gelesen. Es ist das fünfte Buch auf Deutsch dieses Jahres. Ich habe mit ihm Spaß gemacht. An Anfang habe ich gedacht, dass die Styl sehr einfach war. Nicht ganz. Der Ton ist leicht aber es gibt eine Mischung von Umgangssprache und gebildetem Wortschatz, die manchmal ein bisschen wie Gedicht klinget. Manchmal war das Buch eine (erreichbare) Herausforderung.

Außerdem habe ich mein Buch auf Galicisch „Merlín e familia“, das ein beliebtes Buch der Lokalliteratur auf Galicisch ist, bekommt. Ich freue mich an sein Lesen aber ich weiß noch nicht, wenn ich es lesen wird.

Ich habe auch andere Folge Tatorts ferngesehen. Sie war in Hamburg stattgefunden und deshalb dachte ich, dass ich einfach verfolgen könnte. Hamburger sprechen normalerweise sehr deutlich. Aber nein. Die Hauptfiguren haben zu schnell gesprochen. Obwohl ich keine großen Probleme hatte, um die Folge zu verstehen, musste ich konzentrieren. Andererseits kann niemand für 90 Minuten konzentriert bleiben und deswegen habe ich die Folge nicht viel genießt.
2 x

Dagane
Orange Belt
Spanish (N)
English (C2)
German (C1+)
Hungarian (A2?)

I formerly studied:
Galician (B2?)
Dutch (A1)
Czech (A0)
Portuguese (A2?)
French (A1?)

Postby Dagane » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:18 pm

hu

Én gondolok még, a magyarul szép, pedig nehezebb is. Két hónapban többet ezer szót tanultam. Minden nap egy kis tanulok, de a leckéim normalis alacsony. Igével sok probléma van. Miert az igek olyan nehéz vannak? Másfele szavakkal problémak vannak is, de gondolok, a nevék logikusabb.

A FSI könyvet lassú olvasom és csak harom lecket csinálom. Tetszem a könyevet, bár a könyevet nem imádom. Van a "Routledge: Hungarian. An Essential Grammar" is, de ezt több nem olvasom még. A grammatikát félem, és szeretnék a grammatikát lassú tanulni vagy másképp én fáj a fejet.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”