Deutsch and magyar

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Dagane
Orange Belt
Languages: I regularly use:
Spanish (N)
English (C2)
German (C1)
Hungarian (A0)

I formerly studied:
Galician (B2?)
Dutch (A1)
Czech (A0)
Portuguese (A2?)
French (A1?)

Re: Deutsch and magyar

Postby Dagane » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:34 pm

en

Late in May I attempted to read my first short story in Hungarian. I struggled to extricate some meaning out of it and I couldn't read a sentence longer than two words without a dictionary. It took me days.

Today I read the same short story yet again. And it is so beautiful! :o. I understood it. Not only that. I didn't need to use a dictionary and I got the grammar right. I can see a huge improvement since that time in May when I first tried to read it. And most importantly, I enjoyed it. This short story spoke to my brain and my heart alike.
5 x

Dagane
Orange Belt
Spanish (N)
English (C2)
German (C1)
Hungarian (A0)

I formerly studied:
Galician (B2?)
Dutch (A1)
Czech (A0)
Portuguese (A2?)
French (A1?)

Postby Dagane » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:33 pm

en

I took the last minute decision of signing up for the C2 course at the Goethe Institut :shock:.

de

Diese Woche habe ich eine Sammlung der Gedichten Novalis’ gelesen. Ein paar Gedichte gehen über zeitgenössischen Prominenten, manche zeigen eine frommen oder sensiblen Seite des Dichters, und andere Gedichte klingen ganz leicht und philosophisch am gleichen Moment. Die letzte habe ich am meisten genießt.

Meine zwei Freunde, mit wen ich jede Woche ein Gespräch auf Deutsch habe, und ich haben ein neuen „Protokoll“, um unsere Konversationen zu führen. Wir entscheiden ein Video oder einen Artikel im Voraus, darüber wir später diskutieren kann. Es wirkt. Es macht auch Spaß. Danach sprechen wir auch über verschiedene Trivialitäten.
3 x

Dagane
Orange Belt
Spanish (N)
English (C2)
German (C1)
Hungarian (A0)

I formerly studied:
Galician (B2?)
Dutch (A1)
Czech (A0)
Portuguese (A2?)
French (A1?)

Postby Dagane » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:45 pm

en

I've neglected my log because of the ever increasing amount of work, that since the very beginning of September has driven changes to my lifestyle and made me work some weekends and many late evenings so that I and my team could meet a series of deadlines. During the last six weeks I missed my long evening walks, sometimes my morning exercise routine, and cooking. In fact, straight after having met the "last" deadline my body said enough and I became mildly sick for a couple days.

I managed to squeeze in a daily dose of language learning despite it all, even though it took me only a few minutes to finish it some times.

So here's an update on German:

I love the C2 classes. Actually, I love everything about them. The other students are nice, friendly and their level is (I believe) similar to my own. The teacher is cool and I like her methods. The fact of lacking a textbook and using native material only allows for freedom of choice when it comes to deciding on topics for each lesson. We tackle topics in depth from many perspectives and develop them through homework that doesn't feel like homework. And lastly, I find there is a good balance in the amount of listening, speaking, writing, (little) grammar and reading. Ich bin ja zufrieden.

My two friends and I continue organising a weekly meeting to speak German for 60 or 90 minutes, although I missed one of them because of work. These meetings do boost the confidence and fluency of the three of us, and they allow us to use our German in a somewhat "real setting".

On my own I read a German book titled "Vom Land", a light novel set in rural Austria that casts some light on modern family dynamics and racism against refugees. Although I stopped listening to the radio, I am listening to more podcasts about art, history, geography, economy, geopolitics and linguistics.

All in all, I feel far from stuck at German. My confidence is building up and I think I'm filling in some of the gaps in speech register, vocabulary and overall understanding I had been tagging for long.
5 x

AroAro
White Belt
Languages: PL (native), EN, FR, IT, DE, RO

Postby AroAro » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:24 am

Dagane wrote:en

On my own I read a German book titled "Vom Land", a light novel set in rural Austria that casts some light on modern family dynamics and racism against refugees. Although I stopped listening to the radio, I am listening to more podcasts about art, history, geography, economy, geopolitics and linguistics.

Hi, could you please share the titles of some of these podcasts, especially the ones about linguistics and geopolitics? I'm always looking for some interesting content in German and these topics are of true interest to me.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”