Portuguese log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Rumcajs
White Belt
Languages: Polish (N), Spanish (B1?), German (B1?), English (B2?), Russian (B2?), Portuguese (?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=14380

Re: Portuguese log

Postby Rumcajs » Mon May 11, 2020 11:25 am

Ontem eu fiz apenas uma sessão de 12 minutos, pois trabalhava o dia inteiro. Mas certamente poderia ter encontrado mais tempo para aprender.

iguanamon wrote:Você não está acostumado a ouvir o português de Portugal. Por isso é preciso aprender a ler e escutar usando uma transcrição de português ibérico. Tem muitos recursos disponíveis. Quando eu estava aprendendo o idioma usei os recursos do Centro Vritual Camões em Lisboa. Tem pequenos textos com áudio, mas tem que ativar "flash" no seu browser. Recomendo Era uma vez um rei e A Aventura dos Descobrimentos. As histórias foram desenvolvidas para crianças, mas são úteis para treinar a escuta- tem transcrição- mas as canções são muito irritantes.

Também, recomendo o site DW Learning by Ear/Aprender de ouvido. O site tem várias radionovelas com transcrição em pdf. Pode-se ler e aprender. Também tem a mesma no inglês. Pode-se fazer um texto paralelo/bilíngue para ajuda-lo entendê-lo melhor se fora necessário. Recomendo começar com Queres que te conte mais? Fábulas africanas para uma cultura de paz. Os episódios são de entre 10 e 15 minutos. O português é moçambicano, mas é muito parecido à pronúncia de Portugal e a gramática ibérica.

Por fim, aprende o português como você está fazendo, e ao mesmo tempo pode familiarizar-se com a versão ibérico. Então, vc pode acostumar-se a entendê-lo melhor. Apesar das diferencias na pronunciação e na gramática, é o mesmo idioma, verdade.
Muito obrigado pelas recomendações.
1 x

Rumcajs
White Belt
Languages: Polish (N), Spanish (B1?), German (B1?), English (B2?), Russian (B2?), Portuguese (?)

Postby Rumcajs » Fri May 15, 2020 3:01 pm

Hoje tenho aprendido por três horas e agora estou cansado demais para escrever em português.
Over the past 4 days I was able to spend 1-3h a day on learning. I have completed the task of reaching level 3 in all skills at Duolingo (fwiw my username is aprendiz_lento). I even got to level 4 up to checkpoint #3. I believe I can still learn a lot from Duolingo as some of the skills (mostly the subjunctives) still require effort and my goal is to reach the point of overlearning, so that I can translate those sentences easily.
Despite the pandemic I'm much busier at work than ever before, so I needed to drastically reduce the time spent in social media in order to get more time to learn Portuguese. I also changed my facebook and google language to Portuguese. I was trying to listen to a random audiobook in Portuguese (Dom Quixote) but I couldn't understand that much so I will try again later.
While I'm still going to do the Duolingo course I will spend less time on it and start (or rather continue as I started some time ago) the FSI FAST course.
My plan for May and June is to complete Duolingo, FSI FAST, Tá Falado and also skim through the FSI Programmatic course and the book "Falar... Ler...Escrever... Um curso para estrangeiros". Then in July I intend to study thoroughly the course at Lingust.ru which seems to be the most advanced one. That is a lot of work to do but I'm very motivated and eager to learn.
3 x

Rumcajs
White Belt

Postby Rumcajs » Mon May 25, 2020 11:46 pm

I didn't have much time last week, so the only thing I did was reaching level 5 in all skills at Duolingo. Today I continued the FSI Fast course. At the moment I would estimate I'm probably somewhere between A1 and A2. I've been watching BBC Brazil and some Brazilian youtubers and I can understand almost everything they say. But I'm still not good at grammar. Unfortunately the FSI Fast course just teaches useful expressions without explaining grammar, so I think I need to study the Lingust course which is mostly on grammar. Also I need to start writing more often at lang-8 in addition to studying the courses.
1 x

Rumcajs
White Belt

Postby Rumcajs » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:35 pm

Last week I did only 2 lessons of the Lingust.ru course. It's really difficult and the text is very advanced (I would guess it's C1 level, maybe even C2) but all the words and expressions are explained there. So far I did 24 lessons out of 34 but I will need to re-study the course as I have already forgotten a lot from the previous lessons. I have changed my plan and I want to finish this course first. I've been also doing German course in Portuguese at Duolingo and watching Brazilian youtubers. Besides that I've been learning vocabulary related to my field as I want to be able to use Portuguese at work. Currently I'm focused on learning the grammar. Once I understand the grammar everything else should be easy.
2 x

Rumcajs
White Belt

Postby Rumcajs » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:27 pm

Finally I have completed the Lingust course (34 lessons) but I will have to re-study it, maybe even multiple times, in order to fully understand everything.

Here is what I'm doing currently:
• FSI Programmatic course. So far I have done roughly 70% of it.
• studying sciences at Khan Academy in Portuguese (Khan Academy Brazil). I have already forgotten what I learned at school and always wanted to study math, biology, physics and chemistry again and why not in Portuguese.
• reading portuguese version of WikiHow
• watching brazilian youtubers
• learning some Chinese at Duolingo. My current stats say that I have studied 105 characters but actually I know only 20 or 30 very well.

Anyway I'm not very happy with my Portuguese progress, it's been too slow. My goal is to reach fluency by the end of the year but after 7.5 months of study I'm not anywhere near that level. So far I've been studying only 1-2h a day but I've been also wasting a ton of time, reading the news and browsing social media, so I can easily get 2 extra hours for study if I stop doing that.
2 x

Rumcajs
White Belt

Postby Rumcajs » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:36 pm

Here is what I did in June
• completed the Lingust.ru course
• skimmed through the FSI programmatic course
• completed the Portuguese→German duolingo tree
• did a few chapters of the FSI Fast course
• almost finished the "Ler...Falar...Escrever. Um curso para estrangeiros" book
• watched a lot of youtube in Portuguese

My passive Portuguese is pretty good already, I can finally understand the European version. However I have some trouble with futuro do subjuntivo and infinitivo pessoal but I'm sure I can learn it with more practice.

Here is what I am going to do next:

1. finish and then re-read the "Ler...Falar...Escrever" book but this time doing the excersises
2. same with Lingust course
3. same with FSI Programmatic course
4. finish and re-study the FSI Fast course
5. listen to all the Tá Falado episodes
6. study the grammar at Infoescola and TodaMatéria
7. post regularly at lang-8

So far I've been studying those courses passively, now I'm going to do it actively, doing exercises and posting the answers at lang-8 for review.

Not sure how long it will take to study all of that, probably at least 3 months. I'm pretty sure that studying these courses + watching a lot of youtube + lang8 should be enough to reach fluency.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”