Monox D. I-Fly's Japanese and Arabic Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Re: Monox D. I-Fly's Japanese and Arabic Log

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:14 pm

Read 3 anime lyrics (counts as 1), the fifteenth chapter of Pokemon Special in Arabic (14 pages, counts as 2), the second chapter of Ansatsu Kyoushitsu in Arabic (22 pages, counts as 4), the fifth chapter of 1000-Yen Hero (17 pages, counts as 3), and the twenty ninth chapter of SailorMoon (51 pages, counts as 10). Total 14 pages of Japanese and 7 pages of Arabic.
1 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:56 pm

Read 4 pages of my Arabic grammar book (4 pages, counts as 2), 6 anime lyrics (counts as 2), and watched the newest episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! Vrains (24 minutes). RIP Blood Shepherd.
1 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:56 am

Read the third chapter of Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (19 pages, counts as 3) and the sixteenth chapter of Pokemon Special (14 pages, counts as 2), both in Arabic. Also read 3 anime lyrics (counts as 1).
1 x

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:04 am

ما هو وَصْفُكَ الحاليُّ لمعرفتك العربية؟

(The last Right To Left word ends with a fathah. Because of using that noun as an object. In my sentence, it isn't about the "genitive" case).
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:16 pm

SGP wrote:

(The last Right To Left word ends with a fathah. Because of using that noun as an object. In my sentence, it isn't about the "genitive" case).

Ummm... I'm sorry, I can't make out what you are asking about other than the first two words (What is) and the last word (Arabic).

Now, for my progress:
Read the sixth chapter of 1000-Yen Hero (16 pages, counts as 3)
Read the Arabic lesson book for 1st grader sent from my coworker last Saturday (I asked them last Friday). 10 pages, counts as 2
Read the fourth chapter of Ansatsu Kyoushitsu in Arabic (19 pages, counts as 3)
Read the seventeenth chapter of Pokemon Special in Arabic (14 pages, counts as 2)
Read the sixth chapter of Akame ga Kill! in Arabic (40 pages, counts as 8)
Read 6 anime lyrics (counts as 2)
Read 3 Arabic song lyrics (counts as 1)
Read the thirtieth chapter of B't-X and SailorMoon (44 and 49 pages respectively, count as 8 and 9)
Total 22 pages of Japanese and 16 pages of Arabic.
1 x

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:04 pm

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
SGP wrote:
[...]

Ummm... I'm sorry, I can't make out what you are asking about other than the first two words (What is) and the last word (Arabic).

No problem at all. Simply was asking because you mentioned that you are already reading in this language.

It means: What is your current description of your knowledge of Arabic?
0 x

Log

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:19 pm

SGP wrote:
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
SGP wrote:
[...]

No problem at all. Simply was asking because you mentioned that you are already reading in this language.

It means: What is your current description of your knowledge of Arabic?

Well, I've only gotten into basic verbs and basic questions. At least now I know that subject ends in "u", place adverb ends in "i", and object ends in "a". 10+ years ago, those were the hardest part for me. Now for my progress:
Read 3 anime lyrics (counts as 1)
Read 3 Arabic song lyrics (counts as 1)
Read 4 pages of my Arabic grammar book (counts as 2)
Read the first chapter of 11eyes (40 pages, counts as 8)
Read the thirty first chapter of B't-X and SailorMoon (44 and 45 pages respectively, count as 8 and 9)
0 x

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:01 pm

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:Well, I've only gotten into basic verbs and basic questions.

I see. Does "basic verbs" also include the semi-irregular ones? For example, قُلْ is the male imperative singular of to say (قالَ يَقُولُ).

But it could be that those semi-irregular verbs aren't found too often in what you currently are reading (I don't know). If you would be wondering why I don't call them irregular straight away, well, there always is a generic pattern :).

Also, I was pondering a bit upon why exactly you read Pokémon/etc. material in Arabic. Then I considered your log's first post. So maybe it is simply about revision/learning purposes (no matter if you are a fan or not).

At least now I know that subject ends in "u", place adverb ends in "i", and object ends in "a".

Subjects end in "u"/"un" as a general rule, that's very true.

Sometimes one language's grammar couldn't be translated 1:1 to another one (like English), but this is nothing new either, I'd say.

Also, objects usually end in "a/an".

And as for place adverbs, they can end in "i/in".
But depending on what you exactly count as place adverbs, they could end in "an" as well.

The three Arabic cases aren't directly comparable to the (remainders of) cases in English, nor to e.g. the four German ones. Although there is some overlap.

10+ years ago, those were the hardest part for me.

I'd say that Arabic can be a bit challenging for speakers of English and others at first. Just mentioning it, while not knowing your native language (even if you wrote something about elementary school, there still are several possibilities ;)).. But as soon as there is a foundation stone, things could greatly differ.

Which one?
0 x

Log

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:49 pm

SGP wrote:
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:Well, I've only gotten into basic verbs and basic questions.

I see. Does "basic verbs" also include the semi-irregular ones? For example, قُلْ is the male imperative singular of to say (قالَ يَقُولُ).

But it could be that those semi-irregular verbs aren't found too often in what you currently are reading (I don't know). If you would be wondering why I don't call them irregular straight away, well, there always is a generic pattern :).

No, although when I was a child I did learn those in my Religion School. I still remember that the imperative form of "sit" is "ijlis".
Speaking of irregulars, I hate the non-3 syllables verbs since their vowels often take me off-guard.

SGP wrote:Also, I was pondering a bit upon why exactly you read Pokémon/etc. material in Arabic. Then I considered your log's first post. So maybe it is simply about revision/learning purposes (no matter if you are a fan or not).

I like manga/anime, and those which I never gets really interested but quite popular I read them in either Japanese or Arabic because I only need to know the basic stories. I am more of a Digimon person than a Pokemon person, actually.

SGP wrote:Also, objects usually end in "a/an".

I thought "an" was for time adverb, since the chapter I am on discusses about it, and all the time adverbs end in "an" (shobaahan, nahaaroon, masaa-an, lailaan).

SGP wrote:
10+ years ago, those were the hardest part for me.

I'd say that Arabic can be a bit challenging for speakers of English and others at first. Just mentioning it, while not knowing your native language (even if you wrote something about elementary school, there still are several possibilities ;)).. But as soon as there is a foundation stone, things could greatly differ.

I am an Indonesian and because its sentence structure is similar to English (subject-verb-object), learning Arabic (verb-subject-object) or Japanese (subject-object-verb) proves to be really hard, let alone learning them simultaneously like I do.

SGP wrote:

Which one?

The one I bought, a series of 7 books for Indonesian speakers. Right now I am at Chapter 16 (Time adverbs) in Book 2.

And now for my progress:
Read 9 anime lyrics (counts as 3)
Read the fifth chapter of Ansatsu Kyoushitsu in Arabic (19 pages, counts as 3)
Read the eighteenth and nineteenth chapter of Pokemon Special in Arabic (each 14 pages, counts as 2). For some reason the pages in chapter 20 in www.manga.ae can't be loaded at all. Gotta check that once I have access to internet cafe.
Read the sixth chapter of Akame ga Kill! in Arabic (36 pages, counts as 7)
0 x

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:18 pm

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:No, although when I was a child I did learn those in my Religion School. I still remember that the imperative form of "sit" is "ijlis".

Yes it is "ijlis". Just as the present tense is "yajlisu" (3rd person male singular).
Do they have something in common?

Spoiler (backward speech): lewov i eht erahs yeht.

Speaking of irregulars, I hate the non-3 syllables verbs since their vowels often take me off-guard.

Any example coming to your mind?
Because I think of Arabic verbs more in terms of how many letters they have (without Harakat/Tashkil), rather than syllables.

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
SGP wrote:Also, objects usually end in "a/an".

I thought "an" was for time adverb, since the chapter I am on discusses about it, and all the time adverbs end in "an" (shobaahan, nahaaroon, masaa-an, lailaan).

The following may be not too relevant for comics and manga, but it is important for other reading materials. And since you are learning Arabic anyway...

The "-an" ending surely is used for many time adverbs. As well as verb objects.

Why exactly? It's not because of an equation like "-an = time" or "-an = verb object" ;).
But because "-an" is used for one of the three noun cases. This particular one is called an-nasb النصب.

In Arabic, there are three ways of working with nouns. Or three cases.
The usual endings are "-un/-u", "-an/-a", and "-in/-i".
With the "al-" article, the final "-n" will be removed.
And without the article or anything else causing its removal, it will stay there.

Each of these three cases serves one or more purpose/s.

I am not sure how familiar you already are with this concept. The basically same idea exists, too, in languages like German, Polish, Russian, and many others.

But we also can translate it (this concept/idea) to Bahasa Indonesia.

Not telling you anything new when talking about its suffixes. Those very useful Building Blocks with which bigger words are constructed.

Up to now, I only was able to learn about some basics of this beautiful language. But still, I think the following could be a bit useful.

In very simply terms, the Arabic words naharan نهارا and laylan ليلا consist of these two building blocks:
1.) day / night
2.) situation of [this is one of the meanings of the "-an" building block]

So they mean something close to "[at] the situation of the day" and "[at] the situation of the night".

And as for bin-nahari بالنهار and bil-layli بالليل , these are the building blocks:
1.) with
3.) the article (the alif and lam letters)
3.) day / night (again)
4.) the case ending "-i" which fits to the "with" building block ("bi")

So we could translate them as "with the day" and "with the night".

These were two examples about these two noun cases ("-an/-a" and "-in/-i").

So these Noun Case Building Blocks do not contain any information about whether we speak about a time, a place, or something else. That piece of information is found in another Building Block instead ("nahar", "layl").

And just like many other languages, there are words or building blocks that serve more than one purpose. For example, the "-an/-a" ending isn't only used for "situation of", as in the above example.

It also is used for some more meanings. Like a verb's object. "Ya'kulu khubzan" يأكل خبزا means "he eats bread".

These are its building blocks:
1.) he eats
2.) bread
3.) "-an" noun case ending, expressing that "khubz" is an object. This fits to the verb "ya'kulu".

Now what do "situation of" and "a verb's object" have in common? Something grammar related ;). This may be one of the topics that are understand easier by simply getting used to it as the time goes on.

So to sum up, both the "-an/-a" and "-in/-i" endings can mean something time-related, when they are combined with a Time Noun.

But that doesn't mean that they are limited to it. They can serve other purposes as well.

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:I am an Indonesian and because its sentence structure is similar to English (subject-verb-object), learning Arabic (verb-subject-object) or Japanese (subject-object-verb) proves to be really hard, let alone learning them simultaneously like I do.

There is some challenge involved, no doubt.
1 x

Log

Return to “Language logs”