Montmorency's Log (CY, DE, NO) + (Celtic {Team) Nordic} + SC 2016-7

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Re: Montmorency's rather intermittent Log (CY, DE, ES, DK(?),...?)

Postby Montmorency » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:42 pm

Teango wrote:Diolch for sharing these links, Montmorency! I'm really enjoying chilling out to your smorgasbord of Welsh and German podcasts in greedy succession in the background this morning. Maybe I'm just an oddball, but it's having a very calming effect so far... :)

Croeso iawn Teango bach! :-)

(I wasn't putting in the links to start with, partly because I was usually downloading them ( via get_iplayer other than the official podcasts ) rather than playing them from the website, but it occurred to me it might be useful to put links in. However, generally, they are only valid for about 28 days - Edit: The BBC ones I mean. The WDR ones seem to be there for ages).

Do I correctly remember that you had learned Welsh in the past among your other achievements?
Last edited by Montmorency on Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:31 am

I haven't got around to it just yet (still need to sort out my Irish first!), but yes...being near on a quarter Welsh myself, I'd love to learn the language sometime. I only know a few phrases, but when I used to stop over in Swansea with friends, I always enjoyed eavesdropping on locals speaking yn Gymraeg on the Gower or on the train (not that I understood anything of course, but simply because it sounded so amazing!)
1 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).

Postby Montmorency » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:32 pm

Teango wrote:I haven't got around to it just yet (still need to sort out my Irish first!), but yes...being near on a quarter Welsh myself, I'd love to learn the language sometime. I only know a few phrases, but when I used to stop over in Swansea with friends, I always enjoyed eavesdropping on locals speaking yn Gymraeg on the Gower or on the train (not that I understood anything of course, but simply because it sounded so amazing!)

Diolch am dy ymateb di Teango a mae'n ddrwg gen i am fy ymateb i hwyr.

Thanks for your reply Teango and sorry for my late (re)-reply.

Haven't had much time for this log or indeed languages in general this week.

Dw i'n gobeithio bydda i'n gallu gwneud rhybeth am y peth rwan.

I hope I'll be able to do something about it now.
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Postby Montmorency » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:37 pm

Bit of a hiatus here this week. Languages haven't been entirely neglected, but haven't been able to give them as much attention as I would have liked.

Slightly better on Friday:

Freitag 6. November 2015 - Deutsch

About 2 hours with the small conversation group I go to. Quite good except that I've had a cold and (as seems to be becoming usual) it has affected my hearing, which is highly frustrating. I've become aware of age-related hearing loss for some years, but this year, a series of colds has really put the boot in, and so I've actually tended to avoid these kind of speaking opportunities, as I simply don't hear properly, and also can't always tell how loud to pitch my own voice. :-( It's a shame as there is now a Stammtisch / Meetup in my nearest city, and I would really like to take part, but they are always held in noisy pubs, and I simply can't cope with the background noise. So I'm tending to do more listening to audio and reading. So my speaking has suffered and will continue to suffer, I fear. The KG is in a quiet background so I continue to go, but some weeks are better than others.

On the subject of reading, I read some of Erich Kästner's "Als Ich Ein Kleiner Junge War" on the bus there and back.

Dydd Sadwrn 7ed Tachwedd 2015 - Cymraeg

Fortunately, even with hearing issues, I am usually able to manage Skype (providing there is no electronic or other interference) and I took part in about an hour's sgwrs with 3 other SSiW learners. One of them is particularly good and we all learned a lot of geiriau newydd from him.

On y'n gwrando a "O'r Bae" hefyd, fy "fix" (strach?) i wythnosol gwleidyddol (politicaidd)

(strach seems to mean "fix" as in "to be in a fix" (in trouble); whether it would stretch to this meaning is another matter (probably doubtful)).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06kx1v4 (~30 min)

O'r Bae

Atebolrwydd a diogelwch

Gyda beirniadaeth gynyddol o gyfrinachedd a ffafriaeth wleidyddol wrth lenwi swyddi cyhoeddus, mae Vaughan Roderick a'i westeion yn trafod pa mor atebol yw Llywodraeth Cymru. Sylw hefyd i gynlluniau dadleuol yr Ysgrifennydd Cartref, Theresa May, i roi rhagor o rymoedd i'r gwasanaethau diogelwch. Ac ai mynd ar garlam i'r gampfa neu'r feddygfa yw'r ffordd i gadw'n heini? Aelod Cynulliad Llafur Blaenau Gwent, Alun Davies, y colofnydd Cris Dafis a Dr Zoe Morris-Williams o Brifysgol Caerdydd sy'n gwmni i Vaughan.

Talking about the accountablity (or otherwise) of the Welsh Government; The UK Home Secretary's plans to spy on all our internet activity; and exercise and health.

n.b. Brifysgol = Prifysgol with soft-mutation.
prif = main or chief, ysgol = school, but prifysgol is university.

Update:

This doesn't really count as language because I wasn't paying too much attention to the Swedish (for one thing the volume was too low for me, and if I'd turned it up enough, it would have annoyed my wife), but I watched two more episodes of Arne Dahl on BBC4:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... e-part-one

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... e-part-two

I was never as keen on Arne Dahl as some of the other Scandinavian "noirs", and then for the 2nd series they changed some of the personnel, but this series has been growing on me, and these two linked episodes were very good.

I find some of the story lines a bit incredible and it's a bit too technology-driven, but it's still an enjoyable watch.

Update:

Samstag 8. November 2015 - Deutsch

Managed to squeeze in some German before bedtime:

wdr5dasphilosophischeradio_2015-10-30_unverzichtbartechnikalskultursendungvom30102015_wdr5 (~53 m)

http://www1.wdr.de/radio/podcasts/wdr5/ ... io100.html

Unverzichtbar? - Technik als Kultur (Sendung vom 30.10.2015)
Studiogast: Birgit Recki, Philosophin; Moderation: Jürgen Wiebicke

Frau Prof. Dr. Recki spricht klar und langsam, wovon bin ich herzlich verständnisvoll. Sie arbeitet bei Hamburg Uni. Ob sie eigentlich aus Hamburg kommt, bin ich nicht recht sicher aber sie hat ein gewisser, aber nicht zu starker, Akzent
Last edited by Montmorency on Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Postby Montmorency » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:15 pm

Sonntag 8. November 2015 - Deutsch

wdr5dasphilosophischeradio_2015-11-06_neudenkbardieideedessozialismussendungvom06112015_wdr5 (55m)

http://www1.wdr.de/radio/podcasts/wdr5/ ... io100.html

Neu denkbar? - die Idee des Sozialismus (Sendung vom 06.11.2015)
Studiogast: Axel Honneth, Philosoph; Moderation: Jürgen Wiebicke

I find I'm writing down about 20 words (or phrases) on average during this type of programme ( 5 minutes short of an hour) in German. Not all words are unknown, but some I want to write down or look up anyway just to reinforce them and make myself aware of any secondary meanings I didn't previously know. Sometimes I will look them up (usually in dict.cc - heartily recommended BTW) right away, but that can be distracting. which is not to say that I know all the other words....far from it probably. Some I'm only vaguely aware of, or have heard many times, but am not really sure of the meaning. I don't get too paranoid about trying to "capture" every unknown word (although perhaps I used to...I've become more philosophical :-) now, or more realistic). And the useful ones will come round again of course.

In Welsh, if i were to write down every single unknown word or phrase for a broadcast of the same length, it would be a lot more than 20, simply because I've been doing Welsh for a far shorter period and have not had the exposure. For that reason, I'm trying to get more hours of Welsh in than German, but I've realised now that (for me) the best approach is fairly frequent alternation between them. That way, neither of them "seizes up" or "rusts" to the extent that I'm finding Welsh words when frantically searching my memory for German words when speaking, and vice-versa, which used to happen if I left off either one for too long. If (when) I add in (or add back in) another language, I will drop down the number of hours of Welsh. Actually, I need to re-activate Spanish soon for a forthcoming trip. I have some ideas about how to do this, and will log those when the time comes. (Note to self: don't leave it too long!).
Last edited by Montmorency on Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Postby Montmorency » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:12 pm

Dydd Llun 9ed Tachwedd 2015 - Cymraeg

On i'n gwrando a:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06nxfcr (1h 29m)

Dewi Llwyd: Ar Fore Sul

Bryn Terfel
Dewi Llwyd ar Fore Sul
Chwaraewr mewn ffenest fach
Bryn Terfel ydi'r gwestai penblwydd ar achlysur arbennig iawn i'r bas-bariton o Bant Glas. Mae Geraint Tudur, Menna Machreth a Meilyr Emrys hefyd yn ymuno â Dewi i adolygu'r papurau.

Opera singer Bryn Terfel was the special guest, to mark his 50th birthday (penblwydd).
pen = head, or end; blwydd = year; penblwydd = birthday

Ar fore Sul = "On Sunday morning". Bore = morning and is soft-mutated (because it's a time expression, I believe).

Dydd Sul = Sunday, but note that "sul" is not the normal word for "sun", which is "haul".

Bryn Terfel is something of a hero in Wales I believe; perhaps not quite on a level with some of the more famous Rugby players, but still up there. Rugby is the main national religion, but music comes a close second.

Update:

Montag 9. November 2015 - Deutsch

wdr3gespraechamsamstag_2015-11-07_dersoziolgewaltersiebelwdr3gespraechamsamstag07112015_wdr3 (36m)

http://www1.wdr.de/radio/podcasts/wdr3/ ... ag100.html

Edit: Just worked out how to put in a link direct to the podcast :
http://podcast-ww.wdr.de/medstdp/fsk0/8 ... 5_wdr3.mp3

Gespräch am Samstag: Der Soziolge Walter Siebel | WDR 3 Gespräch am Samstag (07.11.2015)

Seit Jahren erlebt die Stadt eine Renaissance. Familien suchen ihr Glück nicht mehr im Speckgürtel, sondern im Zentrum der Metropolen. Doch ist das noch die europäische Stadt alter Prägung? Der Soziologe Walter Siebel untersucht in seinem neuen Buch "Die Kultur der Stadt", wie sich die Stadt verändert hat, welche Rolle die Kultur dabei spielt und welche sozialen Folgen die neue Renaissance der Stadt mit sich bringt.

I found the interviewer to be speaking blitzschnell and he wasn't so easy to follow. Fortunately, Walter Siebel spoke more slowly.
Last edited by Montmorency on Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Postby Montmorency » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:05 pm

Dydd Mawrth 10ed Tachwedd 2015 - Cymraeg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06nxkq8 (31m)

Gari Wyn's business programme.

Y Morganiaid, Aberystwyth
Gari Wyn

Hanes y Morganiaid yn Aberystwyth - teulu o Gymry Cymraeg sydd wedi mwynhau cryn dipyn o lwyddiant wrth fentro a gweithio'n galed. Maen nhw'n berchen ar westai, cartrefi i'r henoed, modurdai a bwytai, felly mwy na digon i'w drafod gyda Gari.

The Morgans are a successful family of entrepreneurs in Aberystwyth. In recent weeks, Gari has been in the north. This week he is a bit further south, in Ceredigion, West Wales. Aberystwyth is a fairly Welsh speaking city I would think. It's on the cusp of where northern Welsh turns to southern Welsh (although there is no fixed boundary). I'm learning northern Welsh, but it didn't sound too strange to me. One give-away is the southern version of "I have" (etc). "mae [noun] gyda fi" - literally, "there is a [noun] with me", or "I have a [noun]".
In the north, they would say "Mae gen i [noun]" to mean exactly the same thing. The complication is that "gen" (from "gan") is one of the "conjugated prepositions" of which Welsh has quite a few, so it changes form with the person of the verb. (Perhaps "inflected prepositions" would be more grammatically accurate).

I was looking for a map showing approximate boundaries for the different dialects of Welsh, but although I thought I'd seen one in the past, I could not locate it. However, this article illustrates some of the issues:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... ts-1827021

Thinking about language boundaries, this is also quite interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landsker_Line

Update:

Dienstag 10. November 2015 - Deutsch

http://www1.wdr.de/radio/podcasts/wdr2/ ... en200.html (18m)

http://podcast-ww.wdr.de/medstdp/fsk0/8 ... 5_wdr2.mp3

Die Fallenstellerin | WDR 2 Sonntagsfragen (08.11.2015)
"Diese Frau ist eine Sensation", stand in "Die Welt" und dann folgte eine Hymne auf die Krimiautorin Melanie Raabe und ihr Debüt "Die Falle". Melanie Raabe gilt als Glücksfall in der Krimiszene und Glücksfälle durchziehen ihr Leben. Moderation: Gisela Steinhauer.

She is from Jena, a city I know and love.

Another one, as they are short:

http://podcast-ww.wdr.de/medstdp/fsk0/8 ... 5_wdr2.mp3 (18m)

Entspannen: Die Kunst der Gelassenheit | WDR 2 Sonntagsfragen (01.11.2015)
Louis Lewitan zählt zu den renommiertesten Stress-Experten im Lande. In den WDR 2 Sonntagsfragen spricht der Psychologe darüber, wie man im Alltag gelassen bleibt und warum Humor dabei hilft. Moderation: Gisela Steinhauer

Interesting that German uses "zu" here. In English, we would say "Louis Lewitan counts as (one of) the most well-known ....".

I changed my forum language to German earlier in the day, just for fun. "mini-immersion" :) (Welsh would be good... :) )
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Dydd Mercher 11eg Tachwedd - Mittwoch 11. November 2015

Postby Montmorency » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:22 pm

Dydd Mercher 11eg (unarddeg) Tachwedd 2015 - Cymraeg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06nxng6 (42M)
Pobl Myddfai yn Sir Gaerfyrddin sydd yn cael yr Hawl i Holi yr wythnos hon gyda Dewi Llwyd.
Bydd y gynulleidfa yn holi y Ceidwadwr Felix Aubel, y ddarlledwriag Angharad Mair, Helen Mary Jones o Blaid Cymru a Calum Higgins o’r Blaid Lafur. Topical debate from Myddfai as a panel of politicians answer questions.

Heated debate, so one can be sure the language is spontaneous, as well as fluent. Hosted by Dewi Lewis (from "Ar Fore Sul").

"ddarlledwraig" (they made a typo on the website) is a female broadcaster. (Welsh is still a sexist language, as German used to be ... a bit less so now I believe). wraig = wife. darlledwr is the masculine (gwrywaidd) version.

Mittwoch 11. November 2015 - Deutsch

http://www1.wdr.de/radio/podcasts/wdr2/ ... en200.html

wdr2sonntagsfragen_2015-10-25_unterwegsmitderkraeuterhexewdr2sonntagsfragen25102015_wdr2 (20m)

Unterwegs mit der Kräuterhexe | WDR 2 Sonntagsfragen (25.10.2015)
"Die Maximaldichte an küssenden Bäumen findet sich im Muttental", behauptet Ursula Stratmann. Nun möchte man einer diplomierten Kräuterfachfrau natürlich nicht widersprechen, aber "küssende Bäume"? Die gibt es nicht, oder? Moderation: Gisela Steinhauer

Update: Cymraeg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06nxnw9 (31m)

John Walter Jones

11/11/2015
John Walter
Rhaglen danllyd a phrofoclyd, lle fydd John Walter Jones yn holi'r cwestiynau mawr am Gymru, y Cymry a'r byd Cymreig. Wales - the day's big questions and the hottest debates.

Not as heated as the last one of these I heard. This one was about Welsh language centres around the country. A new one is to be opened soon in Cardiff (Caerdydd) in Yr Hen Llyfergell (The Old Library). Hen normally mutates those letters it can mutate in the following word - it is unusual as an adjective which precedes the noun. However, for some reason "ll" resists this mutation (which would be to normal "l").

danllyd = tanllyd mutated = "fiery". (tan = "fire"). So it's a "fiery and provocative programme, where John Walter Jones will ask the big questions about Wales, the Welsh and the Welsh world".

Also spent a little time reading the online magazine Golwg360, and writing a little in Cymraeg on the SSiW forum. I haven't really felt the need to write Welsh until recently, but it seems to be time to do so, especially as I'm reading a bit more more now. (The SSiW method emphasises speaking and listening over reading and writing, which I think is digon teg, fair enough, and I have no problem with it. But there comes a time when reading and writing are necessary).

Actualisierung: Nochmals Deutsch

http://www1.wdr.de/radio/podcasts/wdr2/ ... en200.html

http://podcast-ww.wdr.de/medstdp/fsk0/8 ... 5_wdr2.mp3 (19m)

Schmerz lass' nach! | WDR 2 Sonntagsfragen (18.10.2015)
Warum empfinden wir Schmerzen? Was läuft in unserem Gehirn ab? Und vor allem: Wie kann man Schmerz lindern? Prof. Walter Zieglgänsberger ist einer der bekanntesten Forscher auf diesem Gebiet und gibt Auskunft in den WDR 2 Sonntagsfragen. Moderation: Gisela Steinhauer.

Herr Prof. Zieglgänsberger's south-German accent was not all that strong, but seemed enough to throw me slightly, so that I could not quite follow him easily unless I paid close attention. Interesting interview though. I'm finding these short (20m or less) "Sonntagsfragen" interviews quite a convenient length to slot in between Welsh programmes, given that I am trying to listen to more Welsh than German at the moment, and the alternation is working reasonably well, and I'm noticing both languages beginning to "buzz" in my head (the way that Iversen describes sometimes). And by and large, one doesn't prosper at the expense of the other, i.e. they are reasonably balanced in my perception of them. I'd avoided this series before in the mistaken assumption that they would be religious in nature. Fortunately, they cover a wide-range of subjects, none of them so far religious. (Thought I should look up "wide-ranging" - "breit gefächert" or the more familiar "umfangreich". Other possibilities are "weitreichend" and "umfassend").
Last edited by Montmorency on Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt

How many words?

Postby Montmorency » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:57 am

I've been wondering about the number of words one is exposed to during these programmes / podcasts, and looked to see if there were any numbers available for typical languages that might have been measured or researched. The respective speed of languages is something that always intrigues learners, and I am sure it has been discussed on HTLAL many times.

In this case, I'm not bothered about comparative speeds, but just the average speed of the two languages I'm focusing on, just to get a rough idea of the minimum words per minute/hour of listening time that I am hearing.

I found this paper: http://prosodia.upf.edu/home/arxiu/publ ... letins.pdf

It compares English (BBC), French, Italian and Spanish news bulletins.

Now, newsreaders are trained to be able to speak at high speeds, but very clearly and native speakers can follow them easily in spite of their speed because of the clarity with which they speak. That means they are not very representative of the average native speaker in the street that you might hear, or everyday conversations that you might take part in. That is not actually a problem for my purposes, since the things I tend to listen to, although not including much news, are generally the output of professional broadcasters or at least people who are used to being interviewed on radio, so they have similar clarity to newsreaders and perhaps approach their speed of delivery.

I would guess that broadcast German is a little slower than the Welsh I hear on Radio Cymru, and probably slower than the equivalent French, Spanish or Italian broadcast. Maybe it is similar to English from the BBC. It has to be borne in mind that a lot of what I listen to is interviews, and there will always be pauses in between question and answer, so it won't have as high a WPM as a straightforward news broadcast. There are also occasional breaks for music in some of the programmes.

On the other hand, just as nature abhors a vacuum, radio abhors silence, so apart from the music break, most of the broadcast is going to consist of words (unlike a typical TV broadcast or film).

I have just noticed that the study paper was measuring output from stations aimed at an international audience, e.g. BBC World Service, which I know is slightly slower than the domestic service. That being the case, I was surprised at the high (to me) number of words per minute on average: 167. (Not as high as the Spanish service though! (209)).

However, given the difference between interviews and news broadcasts, I am going to take as a working approximation / guesstimate (and also because it's a round number) the figure of 100 wpm as an average for what I listen to. Or 6,000 words per hour.

Recently I've probably only been getting about 2hrs/day, so call that 12,000 words per day. Lets say I have some days off, so say 300 days per year: that would be 1,800,000 words per year. (an average of 900,000 words for each language). My aim had been to get in quite a lot more than 2 hrs per day, although I don't seem to have been achieving it. It would be nice to achieve at least 1M words per language per year. That's only radio listening of course. There is also speaking and listening live or via Skype, and reading and writing to be taken into consideration.

It occurs to me that those who listen to unabridged audiobooks and also own the printed or e-book can do a similar exercise more precisely for themselves by, e.g. counting or estimating the number of words in a chapter and noting the time it takes for the reader to read that chapter, and do the appropriate arithmetic. This exercise is not relevant to me at the moment, but it might well be before too long. The audiobooks I have used in the past are stored offline somewhere for the time being, which is perhaps just as well, as I don't really want to be distracted by them at the moment. I'm concentrating on speech which is at least mostly spontaneous, even if it doesn't quite correspond to normal everyday conversation. It's a compromise, but one I'm fairly happy with.

Last edited by Montmorency on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Dydd Iau 12fed Tachwedd - Donnerstag 12. November 2015

Postby Montmorency » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:43 pm

Dydd Iau 12fed (y deuddegfed) Tachwedd 2015 - Cymraeg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06nxkxn (45m)

Dan yr Wyneb gyda Dylan Iorwerth

Dylan Iorwerth yn gofyn y cwestiynau mawr ac yn mynd dan wyneb bynciau'r dydd. Dylan Iorwerth asks the big questions and addresses current issues.

Talking about the origins of Patagonia. Interestingly, it seems there were ideas about founding a Welsh colony in Brazil, and even in Palestine (if I understood correctly). Then a separate discussion about Guantanamo Bay, and comparing it with internment in Northern Ireland. Interestingly, a Welsh-speaking Irishman (sounded like) was among those taking part.

Donnerstag 12. November 2015 - Deutsch
Im Vorbeigehen: I've only just read that Helmut Schmidt has died:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/shortc ... her-figure

He was of course a major figure in his time, and a post-war German that even usually parochial Brits had heard of, in those pre-EU days. I'm sorry to hear of his passing, but as we say here, "he had a good innings".

Die Zeit:

http://www.zeit.de/politik/deutschland/ ... dt-nachruf

Listening:

http://www1.wdr.de/radio/podcasts/wdr2/montalk234.html

(53m but only listened to first 20)

Jürgen Domian | WDR 2 MonTalk (09.11.2015)
Seit mehr als 20 Jahren ist Jürgen Domian zwischen ein und zwei Uhr nachts "on air". Im MonTalk erzählt er, was er nach dem Ende seiner erfolgreichen Sendung im kommenden Jahr vorhat. Moderation: Gisela Steinhauer.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%BCrgen_Domian
0 x

Return to “Language logs”