Montmorency's Log (CY, DE, NO) + (Celtic {Team) Nordic} + SC 2016-7

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Donnerstag 26. Mai 2016

Postby Montmorency » Sat May 28, 2016 12:05 am

Deutsch

Evening class (moved from Monday) (>= 120m).

I am continuing to read "They Divided the Sky".
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).

Freitag 27. Mai 2016

Postby Montmorency » Sat May 28, 2016 12:06 am

I am continuing to read "They Divided the Sky".
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Dydd Sadwrn 28 Mai 2016 - Samstag - lørdag

Postby Montmorency » Mon May 30, 2016 6:43 pm

Deutsch

Finally finished "They Divided the Sky" (lots of interruptions / distractions), and have started to re-read the original German "Der Geteilte Himmel".

I think I can see now why I found the German edition so difficult when I first read it. Not just the vocabulary, although that would have been part of it. But it's written in a series of flashbacks & flash-forwards, and also in an interesting mixture of present and past tense. I think that is done for a reason, and the translator of the later English edition (Luise von Flotow) talks about this in her introduction. I think she has tried to remain as faithful as possible to both the language and the spirit of the original book.

(Translation): 201 pages, ~10 words per line, 34 lines per page. 340 words per page, total: 68,340 words
(original): 234 pages, ~8.5 words per line , 37 lines per page, ~300 words per page, total 70,200 words
(oh well, close enough :) ).
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Dydd Sul 29 Mai 2016 - Sonntag - sondag

Postby Montmorency » Mon May 30, 2016 11:57 pm

Deutsch

Reading "Der Geteilte Himmel".
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Dydd Llun 30 Mai 2016 - Mondag - mandag

Postby Montmorency » Tue May 31, 2016 12:00 am

Deutsch

Reading "Der Geteilte Himmel".

Cymraeg

Watched:

http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/c_level2.shtm ... =529479298
Rownd a Rownd - 24 Mai 2016

http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/c_level2.shtm ... =529479319
Rownd a Rownd - 26 Mai 2016

19m each and watched both twice for total of 76m.
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Dydd Mawrth 31 Mai 2016 - Dienstag - tirsdag

Postby Montmorency » Tue May 31, 2016 11:32 am

Cymraeg

Skype session with regular Skype partner (~55m). We discussed an article (erthygl) from Golwg by Manon Steffan Ros.

Listened:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07d30jl ○○○ (~53m)
29/05/2016
Y Talwrn, 2016

Dau dîm o feirdd yn cystadlu i gyrraedd y rownd derfynol yn Eisteddfod Genedlaethol 2016. Two teams of bards compete to win a place in the 2016 National Eisteddfod final.

○○○ Image
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07cb9vd ○○○ (~53m)
22/05/2016
Y Talwrn, 2016

Dau dîm o feirdd yn cystadlu i gyrraedd y rownd derfynol yn Eisteddfod Genedlaethol 2016. Two teams of bards compete to win a place in the 2016 National Eisteddfod final.

Watched:

http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/c_level2.shtm ... =529479340 ○○○ (19m - watched 3 times -> 57m)
○○○ Rownd a Rownd - 31 Mai 2016
○○○ Image
○○○ Lovely Lowri
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Dydd Iau 02 Mehefin 2016 - Donnerstag - torsdag

Postby Montmorency » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:41 pm

Cymraeg

Watched:-

http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/c_level2.shtm ... =529479361
Rownd a Rownd 02 Mehefin 2016

Watched 3 times - 3 X ~19m - ~57m

○○○○○○○ Image

○○○○○○○ Dani a Jac

A great line from Jac recently:

"Ni yn son am yr un Barry?
Tal, tywyll, edrych fel un o'r Krays."
"We are talking about the same Barry?
Tall, dark, looks like one of the Krays"

(Jac had a one night stand with a girl who had been Barry's girlfriend...he thought they'd finished, but they got back together...now Jac is in fear of his life, or at least a beating. (The Krays were a notorious gangland family)).

Linguistic note: "Ni yn son am yr un Barry?" seems a bit dialectical to me. I'd normally expect it to begin:

"Dan ni..." or
"Dyn ni..." where dan/dyn is one of the forms of "bod" (to be) used as an auxiliary in this periphrastic construction, where "son" ("talk") is the main verb. However, I do sometimes notice this use of just the pronoun + main verb. I wonder if it's from the influence of English.
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Dydd Gwener 03 Mehefin 2016 - Freitag - fredag

Postby Montmorency » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:40 pm

Deutsch

Fortnightly conversation group (~120m), with one other learner today, plus our native speaking leader / tutor.

Wir haben "über Gott und die Welt" gesprochen. :-)
1 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Dydd Llun 06 Mehefin 2016 - Montag - mandag

Postby Montmorency » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:07 pm

[Having to pass over a couple of almost language-free days ... lots of distractions ... not totally language-free, but nothing really much worth recording, and move straight on to...]

Cymraeg

Skype conversation with my regular Skype fellow-learning (but much more advanced) partner. He speaks the southern dialect, so it's slightly challenging, but also enlightening for me. (~55m)

Deutsch

Regular weekly evening class (lesson 7 of 10 for this term). Tonight with two other learners plus tutor. (~120m).

Some very useful work with prepositions and related matters, and as usual listened to a lot of rapid speaking from the tutor.

○○○

Update later:

Cymraeg

Having neglected Welsh a little recently, today I have been reviewing some of SSiW "Course 3", the most advanced of the original courses. At a passive level, there was little I didn't know. However, I definitely want to go through these properly, to activate / re-activate all that material.

Listened to:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07dwq7n ○○○ (54m)
06/06/2016
Dan yr Wyneb gyda Dylan Iorwerth
Dylan Iorwerth yn gofyn y cwestiynau mawr ac yn mynd dan wyneb pynciau cyfoes. Dylan Iorwerth asks the big questions and addresses current issues.

One of the guests was John Walter Jones, who I'm familiar with from his own discussion programme. Both he and Dylan are northeners, so I am familiar with the accent, intonation, and much of the vocabulary. However, the speed at which they speak is a challenge, although a worthwhile one. Some of the later speakers came in on poor phone lines, which was another kind of challenge.

Was reminded of some useful phrases: " ...a dyna pam..." - "...and that's why ..." "...a'r un pryd..." - "..at the same time..."

○○○

I read somewhere that the average movie script is about 10,000 words.

I know from my own researches that a commercial audiobook can easily come out at about 150 wpm; that would be 9,000 words per hour, or 13,500 over 90 minutes, the length of an average movie. So in terms of number of words in the same time, you are getting more bang per buck with the average audiobook than with the average movie. Of course, this is not really comparing afalau efo afalau - apples with apples - but still it's worth considering. There again, films are strong on dialogue, but weak on narrative. Books are strong on narrative, but usually weak on dialogue - well, if an author puts in too much dialogue, it actually gets hard or tedious to read, so the skilful author will use just enough, and no more. It's "horses for courses", I suppose.

By the way, radio discussion programmes such as "Dan yr Wyneb" come out, I suspect, at a much higher word rate than 150 wpm. If you have someone who speaks quickly in the first place arguing about something they feel strongly enough, the words are going to run away with you. It keeps you on your mettle.
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Dydd Mawrth 07 Mehefin 2016 - Dienstag - tirsdag

Postby Montmorency » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:46 pm

Cymraeg

Watched:

http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/c_level2.shtm ... =529479382
Rownd a Rownd 07 Mehefin 2016

19m x 3 (watched 3 times) = 57m

○○○ Image
○○○ Jac trying to avoid local hard-man, Barry Hardy
0 x

Return to “Language logs”