Matilda's French Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Miss_French_2020
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (Native), French (B1-ish)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 57#p165355

Re: Matilda's French Log

Postby Miss_French_2020 » Fri May 29, 2020 5:22 am

Weekly Update

Progress towards my goals
This week I took the RFI Savoirs online placement tests and I think I can say that I've achieved my goal of A2 by July. My results were:
A2: 11/15 (a score of >=11 means I passed this level and could be a higher level)
B1: 8/15 (a score of >=6 means I'm on the way to this level but not quite)
B2: 7/15
I won't take any more online tests until September when I'll retake the Dialang and RFI tests to see how I've progressed. I'll make the decision then if I'm going to take the DELF B1 exam in early November. It's taken me 6 months to go from zero to A2 so I'm not certain that I'll get to B1 in another 5 months. I only want to take the exam then if I'm confident I will pass.

Super Challenge Progress
Reading - 588 -> 764 pages / 5000
Film and TV - 1220 -> 1505 minutes / 9000

Speaking - 2hrs
- 30 mins italki lesson - casual conversation about holidays.
- 1 hr italki lesson - half the lesson, I talked about my job and in the second half, she posed the question "what is your favourite season and why?" so I talked about that, the ocean, outdoor activities and their risks and dangers. Came away with a lot of new vocabulary. She noted that I pronounced the word détails wrong (should be pronounced like travail), and also pronounced Les oreilles incorrectly. She also noted that I often use the incorrect gender for words like dernière/dernier and première/premier, but nothing too serious.
- 30 mins italki lesson - focused on Imparfait. When tested on it, I knew how to conjugate correctly and knew the rules for when to use both. But when I had to try to tell a story which needed a combination of imparfait and passe compose, I realised that there were a few cases where I didn't automatically know which to use. We'll be working on this again in next weeks lesson so I want to try and work on this beforehand.

Listening
- 285 mins of TV (no subtitles) - "Les filles d'à côté" (now up to Episode no. 30), and finished Harlan Coben's "The Stranger".
- 30 mins of podcasts - "Kiffe ta race"

Reading
- Finished DIMILY#2 (352 pages). Listen+Read. Counted 50% (176 pages) for the SC. My eyes don't like to read after a day of reading on the computer for work, but this book is simple enough that I could still follow the gist when I shut my eyes and just listen. I'm also trying to make sure listening is my priority and that I'm listening more than I'm reading.
- Started DIMILY#3

Courses, Grammar, Other
- FSI Basic - Unit 7 tapes 2-5. I skipped Unit 5 and 6 because I was getting a bit bored and I didn't think I needed more practice for those topics. Unit 7 is a better level of difficulty.
- Kwiziq is now up to 75% in A2, 50% in B1 and 5% in B2. I want to focus on knowing when to use passe compose or imparfait better so I created a notebook for all the Imparfait lessons so I can also do quizzes just on that, and I also did a few of the Passe Compose vs. Imparfait fill in the blank exercises.
- Les 500 Exercises de Phonetique A1/A2 - I did Chapters 2.1 and 2.2 this week.
- Gold List Method - I had been thinking about what would be a good system for processing the new words and corrections I get during my italki lessons (since I've never tried to memorise vocab and I don't get on with things like anki or memrise). This week I watched a video with Lydia Machova where she mentioned she uses the Gold List Method for processing her italki lessons. I'm going to give this a go. It might work for me because I like writing things out by hand. I'll put my corrections from italki, and stuff from Kwiziq that I have trouble with, and any other useful words and phrases that I come across.
- Singing in the car :D - learnt the lyrics for "Naïf" by Gims, and "La Boheme" by Charles Aznavour.
7 x
Double Super Challenge Books: 5302 / 10000 Film: 8416 / 18000

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Sat May 30, 2020 11:21 am

Miss_French_2020 wrote:- Kwiziq is now up to 75% in A2, 50% in B1 and 5% in B2. I want to focus on knowing when to use passe compose or imparfait better so I created a notebook for all the Imparfait lessons so I can also do quizzes just on that, and I also did a few of the Passe Compose vs. Imparfait fill in the blank exercises.

I'm aware of notebooks in Kwiziq, but I wasn't aware that creating a notebook allows you to do quizzes on just that topic. Would you mind explaining how it works?
0 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Miss_French_2020
Yellow Belt

Postby Miss_French_2020 » Sat May 30, 2020 12:16 pm

jeffers wrote:I'm aware of notebooks in Kwiziq, but I wasn't aware that creating a notebook allows you to do quizzes on just that topic. Would you mind explaining how it works?

If you go into a notebook, there should be an orange button saying "Test your knowledge". This will give you a quiz for that notebook with a max of 10 questions, i.e. if you have 3 topics in the notebook, the quiz will have 3 questions, or if it has 20 topics, the quiz will be a random 10 questions. I like to do this if I want quizzes with a narrower focus but covering all levels.
Let me know if that didn't make sense :)
1 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Sat May 30, 2020 12:22 pm

I understood that fine! I thought notebooks were just for reference, and one complaint I had about Kwiziq was that I thought there was no way to drill a single topic. That feature looks useful!
2 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

catemichelle
White Belt
Languages: English (N), New England French & French (C1/B2 respectively), Signed English (B1), Armenian (A2), Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=14813

Postby catemichelle » Sat May 30, 2020 3:09 pm

Miss_French_2020 wrote:
jeffers wrote:I'm aware of notebooks in Kwiziq, but I wasn't aware that creating a notebook allows you to do quizzes on just that topic. Would you mind explaining how it works?

If you go into a notebook, there should be an orange button saying "Test your knowledge". This will give you a quiz for that notebook with a max of 10 questions, i.e. if you have 3 topics in the notebook, the quiz will have 3 questions, or if it has 20 topics, the quiz will be a random 10 questions. I like to do this if I want quizzes with a narrower focus but covering all levels.
Let me know if that didn't make sense :)

I didn't realize this either and just started using Kwiziq this week. I've designed my own French challenge around filling in my Brain Map there :) I love using Italki and I have another private teacher on Skype. Your log is SO inspiring and really cool to see you making progress. My problem is that I want to try every possible book and method all at once and then I get overwhelmed! So I'm focusing on Kwiziq, 3 hours of lessons or speaking weekly, and inputs from Netflix :) Thanks so much for sharing and I'm definitely going to keep reading!
4 x

Miss_French_2020
Yellow Belt

Postby Miss_French_2020 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:48 am

Weekly Update
Life got in the way of my French studies this week. There were a couple of days that I didn't do anything at all in French. Next week will probably be similar but then I should be over this little speed bump.

Super Challenge Progress
Reading - 764 -> 764 pages / 5000
Film and TV - 1505 -> 1705 minutes / 9000

Speaking - 2hrs
- 30 mins italki lesson - casual chat.
- 1 hr italki lesson - continued Chapter 2 of Edito A2.
- 30 mins italki lesson - focused on passe compose vs Imparfait. I'm understanding it a bit better now but still make lots of mistakes. Next weeks lesson will be focused on this again.

Listening
- 200 mins of TV (no subtitles) - "Les filles d'à côté" (now up to Episode no. 40)

Reading - None

Courses, Grammar, Other
- FSI Basic - Unit 7 tapes 6-11.
5 x

Miss_French_2020
Yellow Belt

Postby Miss_French_2020 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:33 pm

Weekly Update
Felt motivated this week. French has become the distraction that I'm turning to when I'm procrastinating on other projects. In a way, that's a good thing because I don't have to motivate myself to study, as long as I keep some balance.
Super Challenge Progress
The tracking for the SC is really motivating for me so I've decided to add in two more categories for tracking listening to podcasts and audiobooks, and for speaking.
: 852 / 5000 Reading, pages
: 2305 / 9000 Film/TV, minutes
: 424 / 9000 Podcasts/Audiobooks, minutes (starting from this week)
: 930 / 9000 Speaking, minutes (starting from start of May)
Speaking - 2 hours
- 30 mins italki lesson. Last of a package of 10 weekly lessons with this tutor. They said I've progressed well. I'm super happy to see my progress as I remember I could barely understand them in the first lesson and in the 10th lesson I'm able to have a relatively comfortable (albeit simple) conversation.
- 1 hr italki lesson - I was very tired for this lesson and I made some very basic errors that I thought were behind me, but I guess not. However she said my pronunciation is really good. She also recommended I try the France Inter podcast Le Téléphone sonne, because it is a call-in talk show so it's a good one to hear different accents.
- 30 mins italki lesson - imparfait vs passe compose. I'm alot better with using the correct past tense now, but will need to keep paying attention to this.
TV/Film - 600 mins of TV - Les filles d'à côté (now up to Episode no. 70) - just passively.
Podcasts - 75 mins - Autour de la question, Le Téléphone sonne
Books
I've got 3 books on the go now. My comprehension is only approx 80% so I'm finding my attention is held better if I have a few books to switch between as well as different ways of reading. For one book, I'm reading while listening to the audiobook, and I'm not looking any words up. Another, I'm just listening to the audiobook. This is very passive as I tune in and out. The third, I'm reading out loud, and I'm looking up some words as I go and looking up the pronunciation if I don't know it. I was worried that reading out loud without feedback might reinforce pronunciation errors, but I'm hoping that looking up the words I'm unsure about will mitigate this a bit, or maybe if I can't be bothered, I'll just skip over the words if I don't know how they are supposed to sound.
- Finished DIMILY#3 - 25% reading while listening = 88 pages and 75% just listening = 349 mins.
- Reading while listening - Started Miss Peregrine et Les Enfants Particuliers
- Audiobook only - started Le Pouvoir des Habitudes
- Reading aloud - started Le Bouddhisme Pour Les Nuls
Courses, Grammar, Other
- FSI Basic Vol 1: 8 / 12 FSI Basic Vol 2: 0 / 12 - half of Unit 8 this week. I'm feeling burnt out with FSI now. I think I should only do this in spurts of 2 weeks so it doesn't get boring. So I'm going to stop doing Volume 1, take a few weeks off it and restart later with Volume 2.
- Kwiziq A2: 100 / 100 B1: 65 / 100 B2: 10 / 100 I drilled A2 to 100% but I'll go back to reviewing the A level material every so often.
- Transcription - approx 18 minutes total. 5 videos on Yabla Scribe (Intermediate level), and 2 audio clips from italki tutor.
- Goldlisting phrases from italki lessons and kwiziq
- Also it was very nice to exchange a couple of messages with language exchange partner after a few months. Things are going back to normal for us both, so we're planning to text each other more often again.
5 x

Miss_French_2020
Yellow Belt

Postby Miss_French_2020 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:36 am

Weekly Update
Not much to report. Work was busy this week so didn't spend as much time learning French.
Super Challenge Progress
: 922 / 5000 Reading, pages
: 794 / 9000 Podcasts/Audiobooks, minutes
: 960 / 9000 Speaking, minutes [edit: error]
Speaking - 2 hours
- 2 x 30 mins italki lessons.
- 1 hr italki lesson. Finished Ch 2 and started Ch 3 of Edito A2.
TV/Film - None
Podcasts - 67 mins - Le téléphone sonne, Change ma vie
Books
- Various (abandoned) = 70 pages
- Audiobooks - Le Pouvoir des Habitudes DNF = 150 mins, Dominez le stress et les soucis = 70 mins, Le Pouvoir de la confiance en soi = 83 mins
Courses, Grammar, Other
- On hold FSI Basic Vol 1: 8 / 12 Quit! Vol 2: 0 / 12
- On hold Kwiziq A2: 100 / 100 B1: 65 / 100 B2: 10 / 100
- Transcription - NONE
- Pronunciation - 3 Units of Les 500 Exercises de Phonetique A1/A2
- Goldlist Method - NONE
- Language Exchanges - a couple of texts
Last edited by Miss_French_2020 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Miss_French_2020
Yellow Belt

Postby Miss_French_2020 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:00 am

Weekly Update - (I'll start updating my log on Wednesdays because Wednesdays are now my day off from work).
After an unproductive week last week, I found it a bit difficult to get going again and felt I've took a little step back. It just goes to show me I need try to keep doing a bit everyday even when I'm busy. With work picking back up again, I need to start being more efficient with my French study. Today I scheduled in an hour of French to try to see how I can condense my study into a fixed time period. In that hour, I could do 3 things that each take about 20 minutes each: 1 video on Yabla Scribe, 1 unit of Les 500 Exercise de Phonetique, and about 5 quizzes on Kwiziq.
I'll try to schedule in an hour like this every morning before work so I'm not relying on fitting it into any free time which may or may not happen. And then listening and reading can happen when I have free time. If I can keep this up, I think this routine will work well.

Super Challenge Progress
: 1086 / 5000 Reading, pages
: 1230 / 9000 Podcasts/Audiobooks, minutes
: 1050 / 9000 Speaking, minutes [edit: Error in count]

Speaking - 1.5 hours
- 30 mins italki lessons. Conversation practice.
- 1 hr italki lesson. Continued Ch 3 of Edito A2.

TV/Film - None

Podcasts - 36 mins - Outils du Manager

Books
- started "Le Malheur du Bas". 90% comprehension. I'm noticing some improvement in my reading ability with this book. This was the first time reading in French that I felt like the words flowed easily and that it could evoke some emotion. This must be small sign of progress. It seems well written, though I still don't yet feel I can distinguish between good and average quality writing.
- started and finished "Petit Nicolas - La plage, c'est chouette" (13pg). 95% comprehension.
- finished "Miss Peregrine et Les Enfants Particuliers" (25% read=122pg, 75% audiobook=400mins). 70-80% comprehension. I found this difficult even though it's a kids novel.
- Other abandoned books (29pg)

Courses, Grammar, Other
- Kwiziq B1: 75 / 100 B2: 10 / 100 C1: 0 / 100
- Transcription - 1 video of Yabla Scribe intermediate
- Pronunciation - 1 Unit of Les 500 Exercises de Phonetique A1/A2
- Goldlist Method - Kwiziq and italki from this week.
Last edited by Miss_French_2020 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
6 x

Miss_French_2020
Yellow Belt

Postby Miss_French_2020 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:25 pm

Weekly Update

I made an effort to increase my listening this week as this was lacking from my previous couple of weeks.

Super Challenge Progress
: 1500 / 5000 Reading, pages
: 2545 / 9000 Film/TV, minutes
: 1596 / 9000 Podcasts/Audiobooks, minutes
: 1170 / 9000 Speaking, minutes [edit: error in count]

Speaking - 2 hours
- 2x30 mins italki lessons. Conversation practice.
- 1 hr italki lesson. Continued Ch 3 of Edito A2.

TV/Film - 4 hrs
- 100 mins - Les filles d'à côté Ep 71-75
- 50 mins - Elite
- 25 mins - Bojack Horseman
- 25 mins - F is for Family
- 40 mins - Dessins animés pour enfants

Podcasts - 6.1 hrs
- 155 mins - Outils du Manager.
- 104 mins - La Poudre.
- 107 mins - Le Tchip.

Books I'm going to start logging books only when I'm finished with them.
- Le Malheur du Bas by by Ines Bayard. 272pg. 90% comprehension. A good but depressing read.
- Histoires a lire le soir 1. 90pg. 95% comprehension. 2nd pass. An improvement since the first time I read this.
- Other books abandoned. 52pg.

Courses, Grammar, Other
- Kwiziq B1: 76 / 100 B2: 13 / 100 C1: 0 / 100
- Transcription - Yabla Scribe: 2 intermediate videos, 1 advanced video.
- Pronunciation - 3 Units of Les 500 Exercises de Phonetique A1/A2
Last edited by Miss_French_2020 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
6 x

Return to “Language logs”