Конец игры

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Re: Островная крепость Хммм

Postby Xmmm » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:48 am

reineke wrote:La mia capacità...
"Mio capacità" and Io provato = I tried (literally) tells me that you are likely translating using headwords. Try with "ho provato a"... and spend more time with a good dictionary. Realita is Czech. My guess is you mixed up Latin realitas, English reality and Italian realtà.

“Realtà”, io so. Io penso che era un errore tipografico. Ma generalmente, certo. Hai ragione.

Grazie di nuovo ... lo apprezzo.
0 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Xmmm
Blue Belt

Postby Xmmm » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:29 am

I just took the Dialang test for Italian for the first time:

Reading: B1
Listening: B1
Vocab: A2
Writing: A2
Structures: A1

Structures ... what are structures? lol ...

It's scary that my Vocabulary was A2 when I passively know almost 10,000 words. But ... reading whatever I want, a lot of those words are cannon, latrine, gunpowder, etc. and didn't appear on the test for some weird reason.

Overall about the same as I self-assessed at a couple weeks ago, although I'm thrilled with the B1 in listening. All that TV is paying off ...
2 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:06 am

Xmmm wrote:It's scary that my Vocabulary was A2 when I passively know almost 10,000 words. But ... reading whatever I want, a lot of those words are cannon, latrine, gunpowder, etc. and didn't appear on the test for some weird reason.

I don't know about Italian or this test in particular, but the lower level Russian exams tend to include a lot of tourist like stuff. Because that never interested me, when I prepared for the B1 exam I had to swat up a bit on some of that stuff.
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:50 pm

Anyone can take Dialang tests in 14 languages and receive an evaluation up to and including the C2 level on the CEFR scale. It"s a free, professionally developed piece of software that some universities use as a screening tool. The test difficulty will be determined based on initial test answers. I've mentioned it lots of times and I am glad that some people have actually taken the test. What I learned in the process is that advice giving is pointless.Dialang is not perfect but it does put a dose of reality in people's self-assesments.
1 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:08 pm

Xmmm wrote:It's scary that my Vocabulary was A2 when I passively know almost 10,000 words. But ... reading whatever I want, a lot of those words are cannon, latrine, gunpowder, etc. and didn't appear on the test for some weird reason.

I'd not looked at this test before in much details as Russian isn't available, but having had a quick look there is requirement to actively produce vocabulary. For some people the gap between active and passive vocabulary can be pretty big. It's one of the reasons I'm not personally keen on input only / input heavy approaches.

reineke wrote:What I learned in the process is that advice giving is pointless.

Not quite sure what you have in mind here, are you talking generally or about some specific issue?
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:34 pm

Neo: Both, but my conclusions have nothing to do with you personally or with Xmmm...

Xmmm: As I recall, you included three Spanish words in your short writing sample. The system will heavily penalize you if you "recognize" a word that only looks Italian. This, I think, is a good system since it discounts wobbly passive recognition that may come from knowing a related language or from short, passive exposure.

"Do not take risks in this test: mark a word as real only if you are certain. Guessing is often a good strategy when using a language, but in this test claiming false words as real words will heavily lower your score, even as low as zero. However, remember that the Placement Test is only one (optional) step in the DIALANG system."
1 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt

Postby Xmmm » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:51 pm

neofight78 wrote:

I'd not looked at this test before in much details as Russian isn't available, but having had a quick look there is requirement to actively produce vocabulary. For some people the gap between active and passive vocabulary can be pretty big. It's one of the reasons I'm not personally keen on input only / input heavy approaches.

It is a great pity, but I'm coming to the conclusion that a 100 percent input approach is not going to get me where I need to go. I may have to pull a Peter Mollenburg and actually do a course ... bleck ...
2 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt

Postby Xmmm » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:30 pm

RU 2017Modern Russian Part 1 : 0 / 18
RU 2017Glossika GSR 1 : 1 / 100
RU 2017ClozeMaster FTtF : 2 / 30
RU 2017Words : 18101 / 24551
IT 2017Italian FAST Part 1 : 1 / 17
IT 2017ClozeMaster FTtF : 3 / 50
IT 2017Words : 9818 / 13201
EO 2017ClozeMaster FTtF : 4 / 100
EO 2017Lernu : 2 / 26
EO 2017Words : 2151 / 6001

0 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt

Postby Xmmm » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:20 pm

For Russian learners searching for decent TV with Russian subtitles, Фарца on Netflix is pretty good! It's a nice change from the cop shows, although the set designers and costume people have really taken the "1960s were colorful" theme to an extreme, so much that I wanted to adjust the saturation level on my monitor.

"The Moon Moth" was such a treat to read in Esperanto that I'm now going back and reading it aloud for my shadowing practice. I'm starting to see the benefits of this constructed language. The pronunciation rules are so simple, and the word stress is so hard-coded, that even with just 24 hours practice I can easily read page after page of the stuff out loud with a tolerable accent, hardly stumbling at all.

There is additional Jack Vance material here: http://esperanto.us/indekso_JV.html.

I finished watching the first season of Marseille in Italian. I understand it got mixed reviews, but I think I'd rather watch this sort of show than one more police procedural ...

According the new "well balanced approach" I'm trying to take, only 25% of time is slotted for Listening-Reading, which means my LR time is already used up for the month of August. Mostly I'll be working on courses, shadowing, and writing in journals until September.
3 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:37 pm

Xmmm wrote:Let's try again. These magic lists of 5000 wisely chosen words that are not frequency lists ... where do you get them?

Why did you say "that are not frequency lists"?

smallwhite wrote:16 days of reading in August and I have 1406 words looked up AND every single one Quizlet'ed. So a word is only ever unknown the first time I encounter it. The second time, I'd already know it. Alongside that, I also study word lists casually. So some words are already known before I encounter them in a book, and I can concentrate on their usage, or just move on and concentrate on other harder words. 55% of words learnt from reading and 45% from lists at the moment. 53 words/day so far and 2 hours/day including reading, card creation and revision, everything. 101 days in and I'm understanding 91-96% of the words in my fiction and 94% in my nonfiction.

Parallel reading also helps keep sanity.
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Return to “Language logs”