Конец игры

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Re: Конец игры

Postby reineke » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:12 am

Does this mean you are dumping Italian?
0 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:56 pm

reineke wrote:Does this mean you are dumping Italian?

No way. I'm going to move Italian to a different log. And since I can use Dialang for Italian, I think I will just watch more TV and do Clozemaster until I hit 500 hours, then see how I score.
1 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Re: Островная крепость Хммм

Postby Teango » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:49 pm

Xmmm wrote:It's time to lock Russian down and bind myself with terrible oaths.

Ivan the terrible oaths, I venture! Keep strong and resolute and stay the path, fellow comrade...and you will level up sooner than you think.
3 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt

Postby Xmmm » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:41 pm

Xmmm's Russian Recommendations

Movies

1. как я провел этом летом -- A series of unfortunate events at an arctic research station
2. Брат -- A Russian special forces veteran displays an unusual talent for organized crime
3. Летят журавли -- World War II takes away everything a young woman has, but she forges a new destiny

TV

1. Leningrad 46 -- Igor Danilov returns from fighting on the Eastern Front to find society has betrayed him. He decides to get his revenge.
2. Смешарики -- The simplistic animation is deceptive. This actually is a sophisticated show (much better than most programming for children, and much better than Маша и медведь in my opinon). It's frequently funny enough to chuckle at.
3. Reserved

Books

1. Reserved
2. Reserved
3. Reserved
Last edited by Xmmm on Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt

Postby Xmmm » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:08 pm

My Russian study program now contains a lot of broccoli: Clozemaster, Shadowing, Glossika, and Modern Russian. In August, I spent less than half of my 64 Russian study hours on either reading or watching TV.

And ... as I sat down this morning to do the exciting chapter 5 of Modern Russian, I was sorely sorely tempted to chuck it and instead watch episode #1 of Il segreto dell'acqua (best TV show ever made, maybe) for the fourth time. Fortunately, reason prevailed. If I don't get chapter 5 done today, I'll have nothing to study in the car for my commute tomorrow. I can watch Il segreto tonight again if I stay up late.

So, it seems that in becoming very disciplined and serious in my Russian studies, I've turned Italian into the "party" language. And being naturally shiftless, this creates a real danger that in September I'll be doing ten hours of Russian and 75 hours of Italian, etc.

I have to find some compelling Russian media, stuff I'd be willing to watch ten times. Мажор and Sniffer are relatively entertaining the first time through, but not rerun material. There are some movies I like that much, but for Russian TV series the only really good one I ever found was Ленинград 46, which -- as great as it is -- is super gloomy and not fun to watch over and over again.

The indicators below have hardly budged. That's because first the hours get divided into several categories, and second Clozemaster is like a black hole for study hours. I've put at least five hours into Clozemaster Russian and have only mastered one word so far ... right now I'm trapped in endless rounds of reviews.

: 5 / 36 Modern Russian
: 0 / 100 ClozeMaster Fast Track to Fluency Words Mastered
: 19 / 300 Glossika GSR
: 18619 / 50000 LingQ known words
: 13 / 1000 TV hours from 8/17
: 0 / 200 Italki hours
: 1100 / 1760 Total hours
1 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:31 pm

Having finally caught up with reading your log, I think you're doing pretty well in terms of learning efficiency. Two years into Russian and I was probably a low A2. Now progress is going to seem slower, especially for passive skills, because you'll need different sets of vocabulary to improve your overall comprehension level. From your self-assessment I believe you've already surpassed my own level of Russian so now is the time I follow along so I know how to keep going. You have a mix of resources similar to my own and you work on them more diligently than in my case where Russian never was a priority (I only start to actually enjoy the language now that I'm somewhere around B1 passive).

You should keep a good deal of your Russian learning fun. Watching TV comedies represented a good deal of learning how to have fun with the language, while I've been through boring textbooks only so far. Knowing the most usual colloquial expressions is what makes the language feel alive to me (and I'm thankful for all the transcripts made available). So, even when you plan to stop playing and go serious, don't let this fun part decay, if only because a broader, multi-track approach makes more sense especially for you who aim high for Russian.

What helped me so far in the past months was narrow-reading in terms of reading 4 large books of the same series, non-fiction.
1 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Xmmm
Blue Belt

Postby Xmmm » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:30 pm

Thanks, Expugnator!

I think it is pointless for me to make any plans at this point because I can't keep them. Right now I'm driven by frustration bordering on rage.

The first priority is to fix the listening comprehension issue. Yesterday I watched Брат for the third time and two hours of Смешарики. Today, more Смешарики and probably an unhappy return to кухня.

The second priority is fix the low reading speed. I can read at a B1+ level, but since the only reading I've done is intensive, my speed is very poor ... 60 to 100 words a minute. So I bought Гарри Поттер и тайная комната and when it's delivered I guess I'll be doing extensive reading with no dictionary, etc.

Thanks again for the support.
4 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:47 pm

Xmmm wrote:The first priority is to fix the listening comprehension issue. Yesterday I watched Брат for the third time and two hours of Смешарики. Today, more Смешарики and probably an unhappy return to кухня.

Probably you could try Простоквашино? It's a cartoon too. Or a movie based on well-known books like Tom Sawyer? There's a Russian movie-version of the book.

Recently I wrote a post in your log but then re-read and deleted it. It sounded wrong, not the way it's supposed to be. In short, I've just wanted to say that I think you are doing fine and your methods of language learning work. Maybe not as fast as you'd like :) .
3 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt

Re: Xmmm's Russian log

Postby Xmmm » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:39 am

neofight78 wrote:Yep, 63% is a pretty decent score. It's a reasonable grammar test, but doesn't test much else. Even the "reading comprehension" part really is about grammar, as you just have to identify the right chunks of text rather than showing understanding.

Arnaud, if you got 87% then maybe you should be upgrading your description of your Russian to at least intermediate. I'm not buying "low" at all. As a certified B2 person I only got 91% which is barely any different to your score.

I just retook the test at transparent.com* and scored a 79%. The first test day was 2016-03-06. So it took six months from starting Russian to get a 63% and eighteen months to improve by 16%. Sigh.

I've been watching lots of Смешарики, Ленинград 46, and a documentary series called Открытие Китая. Some encouraging signs of improved comprehension, although they come and go. Read the first chapter of Гарри Поттер extensively and it took about an hour, which means my Italian reading speed is almost 3x faster than Russian. Sigh!

* for some reason the image of the exam result I uploaded eighteen months ago is corrupted and doesn't display anymore. I don't know if it was corrupted on the server or an admin thought it was a copyright violation to show the results page (or whatever). I didn't a notification or anything.
1 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:16 am

Xmmm wrote:
neofight78 wrote:Yep, 63% is a pretty decent score. It's a reasonable grammar test, but doesn't test much else. Even the "reading comprehension" part really is about grammar, as you just have to identify the right chunks of text rather than showing understanding.

Arnaud, if you got 87% then maybe you should be upgrading your description of your Russian to at least intermediate. I'm not buying "low" at all. As a certified B2 person I only got 91% which is barely any different to your score.

I just retook the test at transparent.com* and scored a 79%. The first test day was 2016-03-06. So it took six months from starting Russian to get a 63% and eighteen months to improve by 16%. Sigh.

Your progresses are remarkable.
I've done the test again this morning (I'm tired and I've done the test in 20 minutes): score of 91% (137/150), so I only progressed of 4% when you progressed of 16%. 91% was the score of Neofight when he was B2, so I don't complain, but I can't say I progressed a lot (according to that test). I can even say I didn't progress at all, 4% could be considered as a margin of error...
2 x

Return to “Language logs”