Конец игры

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Theodisce
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (native), speaks: English, Czech, German, Russian, French, Spanish, Italian. Writes in: Latin, Portuguese. Understands: Ancient Greek, Modern Greek, Slovak, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Serbian/Croatian. Studies for passive competence in: Romanian, Slovene, Bulgarian.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1435

Re: Конец игры

Postby Theodisce » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:03 am

Thank you guys for linking to that website. I took me 15 minutes to complete the test and my score was 97%. I've invested 1600 hours in my Russian so far, it was only input (mostly audio) and no grammar at all (not that difficult for a speaker of another Slavic language...).
2 x
BCS 400+ : 48 / 50
RUS 2800+ : 74 / 100
SPA 1500+ : 128 / 100
CZE 1900+ : 94 / 50

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:59 am

Arnaud wrote:Your progresses are remarkable.
I've done the test again this morning (I'm tired and I've done the test in 20 minutes): score of 91% (137/150), so I only progressed of 4% when you progressed of 16%. 91% was the score of Neofight when he was B2, so I don't complain, but I can't say I progressed a lot (according to that test). I can even say I didn't progress at all, 4% could be considered as a margin of error...

I think it's more of a case that when you are scoring above 90% your progress won't show up much in the test. There are more questions devoted to the lower levels and not so many for advanced students. I redid the test and got 95% so I too gained 4%. I know I've made progress since I did the last test, and so I'm certain you have too.
4 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:18 am

neofight78 wrote:There are more questions devoted to the lower levels and not so many for advanced students.
Yeap, I completly agree with you. I have a page in my favorites with tests for several levels (A1->C1). The site says if you can mark 75% or above, you can consider as having the tested level (let's say it's a approximation of your grammatical level, nothing else).
Test of russian. There are 2 tests for B2, and one for C1.
4 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Sometimes take a test in your native tongue is interesting too :) , so I took the test at transparent.com too :D .
Total Score: Percent - 100%, Points - 150/150 8-)

Btw, the test includes one question with two possible answers. I just guessed the right one.

And there are tricky questions like "зАмок/замОк", "нравится/нравиться". Misusing the last pair of words is a very common mistake among native speakers. It's hard to tell why, the rule is very simple, but sometimes I myself do this stupid mistake and put 'ь' where it doesn't belong to or the other way around.
2 x

neofight78
Blue Belt

Postby neofight78 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:24 pm

aaleks wrote:Sometimes take a test in your native tongue is interesting too :) , so I took the test at transparent.com too :D .

Only 5% more than me? Pfff... pathetic! :P

aaleks wrote:Btw, the test includes one question with two possible answers. I just guessed the right one.

Which question was that by the way?

aaleks wrote:And there are tricky questions like "зАмок/замОк"

This was one of the questions I got wrong. Mainly because I never use those stress symbols and they don't make any sense to me. I always learn words with audio and pick up the right sound that way.
1 x

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:26 pm

neofight78 wrote:
aaleks wrote:Sometimes take a test in your native tongue is interesting too :) , so I took the test at transparent.com too :D .

Only 5% more than me? Pfff... pathetic! :P

:cry: :lol:
aaleks wrote:Btw, the test includes one question with two possible answers. I just guessed the right one.

Which question was that by the way?[/quote]
#2 ____ ты идешь?
neofight78 wrote:
aaleks wrote:And there are tricky questions like "зАмок/замОк"

This was one of the questions I got wrong. Mainly because I never use those stress symbols and they don't make any sense to me. I always learn words with audio and pick up the right sound that way.

As I remember those stress symbols are usually used in kids' reading learning books, like Букварь. And they confuse me a bit too. I had to re-read the answers a couple of times to choose the right one. On internet forums people usually use a capital letter, as I did, to mark the stress.
----

About tests and progress :) . To somehow measure my progress in English I has been using a vocabulary test (testyourvocab.com). I understand that it isn't the best way to do it, but it the easiest and fastest one - and it's exactly what I've needed. I came across the test after 2-3 month of studying (about that time I started reading the first Harry Potter book) and it estimated my vocabulary as 4000, or maybe 5000. After 1-1.5 years my vocabulary was about 15000 (of course the numbers aren't accurate or absolute but just estimation). Now according to the test it's 20000 (+/-1000). So it looks like in the last 4 years the size of my vorabulary was growing very slow, especially comparing with the first year. But the main and more important difference between these numbers is not quantity but quality of my knowledge, which the test can't measure or reflect in any way.
1 x

neofight78
Blue Belt

Postby neofight78 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:46 pm

aaleks wrote:So it looks like in the last 4 years the size of my vorabulary was growing very slow, especially comparing with the first year.

Are you having a laugh? You're at 20,000 already! My vocabulary is growing at a rate of about 2000 words a year and I'm only at 8,000 :cry:
0 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:05 pm

aaleks wrote:But the main and more important difference between these numbers is not quantity but quality of my knowledge, which the test can't measure or reflect in any way.
Reineke linked to a post that talked about prioritising vocabulary 'depth' over vocabulary 'breadth'.

I'm a bit grey on what that is, but as I understand it it would be knowing when words had more than one possible meaning, and making an appropriate context choice when selecting vocabulary for output.
2 x

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:04 pm

neofight78 wrote:
aaleks wrote:So it looks like in the last 4 years the size of my vorabulary was growing very slow, especially comparing with the first year.

Are you having a laugh? You're at 20,000 already! My vocabulary is growing at a rate of about 2000 words a year and I'm only at 8,000 :cry:

I doubt that I really know 20,000 English words. It's just a test. The only thing about my vocabulary I know for sure is that it's big enough to cover practically all those native material I watch (listen to) and read. And btw according to the test my vocabulary-growth rate of the last 4 years is only 1000-1,500 per year. Besides, I didn't start from zero, I already knew some English words without actually learning the language. I remember that, probably in the late 90s, we accidentally had a Polish TV channel (I don't know how it got on our TV but in 90s anything was possible :mrgreen: ). At the time I didn't know either Polish or English (both audio tracks were heard) but I managed to understand somehow by combining the words I understand in both languages. Polish is a slavic language and has enough words that sound very similar to Russian ones. And thanks to Mazzy of Детский час and American series (with two audible audio tracks as well) which I was watching a lot, I knew a handful of English words (for example "could" and "couldn't" I learnt from Santa Barbara :lol: ).
So I think it's a lot easier for a Russian to learn English that the other way around.
Last edited by aaleks on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:10 pm

aaleks wrote: I came across the test after 2-3 month of studying (about that time I started reading the first Harry Potter book) and it estimated my vocabulary as 4000, or maybe 5000. After 1-1.5 years my vocabulary was about 15000 (of course the numbers aren't accurate or absolute but just estimation). Now according to the test it's 20000 (+/-1000). So it looks like in the last 4 years the size of my vorabulary was growing very slow, especially comparing with the first year. But the main and more important difference between these numbers is not quantity but quality of my knowledge, which the test can't measure or reflect in any way.

Honestly I would be very prudent with that kind of test: I can explose the score with more than 30000 simply because my mother tongue is french: rare words in english coming from french/latin are given and I know them all: the machine deduces that I know a lot of rare words, so extrapolate that I know a lot of english words...That's absolutly not the case.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”