Dutch by January!

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
solocricket
Orange Belt
Languages: My good languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (B2), Italian (reading knowledge)
Languishing Languages: Dutch (~B1), Icelandic (delapidated passive intermediate skills), Yiddish (basic passive), Japanese (smattering of reading knowledge, lots of vocab, maybe I'll get back to it someday)
Studying: Polish (A1)
Wish List: Chinese, Urdu, Russian, Arabic, Hebrew... yep
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=5502

Dutch by January!

Postby solocricket » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:27 pm

I was confused about the website situation, so I'm moving my new Dutch log here. Here's a copy of what I wrote so far:
I've had a special place in my heart for Dutch since 2009, when I decided to seriously learn
a language after several failed childhood attempts at Japanese, Russian, and French. I was
eighteen at the time, and I used one of the older Teach Yourself books. I found a Dutch copy
of Le petit prince in a local library. I watched Spongebob Squarepants on Dutch Nickelodeon.
But then my university semester picked up and I abandoned Dutch. I took up French a couple
months later when I decided to transfer into a language program, but Dutch has still held my
fancy for quite awhile.

Two years ago, I spent a somewhat significant time on Dutch. I had about 450 sentence cards
on Anki, but my vocabulary was still weak, and I didn't really reach a high-intermediate
level in the language. Then I received a bunch of Japanese books for Christmas that year and
tossed Dutch out the window in favor of Japanese :) I decided I had dabbled enough in Dutch
to satisfy whatever curiosity I had, and that I would move on to greener pastures. That, of
course, is my common excuse for wanderlust, but whatever.

All that to say, I've decided to make another earnest attempt at Dutch! I've been doing my
usual methods of Anki sentences + plenty of radio listening. I hope to be at a high
intermediate level by the end of the year, at which point, I'll decide whether to continue
or not. I would like to largely understand radio programs, cartoons, and news and Wikipedia
articles. I've been surprising myself at how much I remember from my previous studies, and
Dutch feels like a language I half know. Anyways, I'll post my progress on here to keep
track of it and to see whether my goals are reasonable or not!

Anyways, thus far I've been creating Anki sentences for about a week, going at ~20 a day. That seems to be a decent pace right now. My sentence sources are online forums, the original Dutch version of Anne Frank's The Diary of a Young Girl (Het Achterhuis), and Wikipedia articles. Once I have more of the common basic words under my belt, I'll start using sentences from Harry Potter en de steen der wijzen. I've been listening to plenty of news radio, mostly through BNR on an iOS app. I have a small grammar book that I might review soon as well.
0 x

solocricket
Orange Belt
Languages: My good languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (B2), Italian (reading knowledge)
Languishing Languages: Dutch (~B1), Icelandic (delapidated passive intermediate skills), Yiddish (basic passive), Japanese (smattering of reading knowledge, lots of vocab, maybe I'll get back to it someday)

Re: Dutch by January!

Postby solocricket » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:17 am

Anki has proven a tad bit boring right now, so I've skipped it for a couple of days (story of my life-- I love Anki and it can be so fun and effective, but when it's boring, it's painful). I have been "reading" about half a chapter of Harry Potter en de steen der wijzen each day. I use the dictionary minimally with the goal of getting a feel for the language and its structures. I know the book so well and have enough basic vocabulary to not be completely lost though :) Additionally, I'm going to try word lists based on https://fluent-forever.com/the-method/vocabulary/base-vocabulary-list/#.VhSXSXp_NBc. It seems like a good way to get more basic vocabulary out of the way (particularly nouns and such). Does anyone know of a decent online Dutch-English, English-Dutch dictionary? I've been pretty dependent on Google Translate (for individual words), but I'd really like more to use.
0 x

solocricket
Orange Belt

Postby solocricket » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:53 pm

Came up with a fun and (sort of) exciting study method! I've still been reading half a chapter of Dutch Harry Potter nearly everyday. I generally don't really use a dictionary when I do this, and yes, I do ignore enormous chunks of text I don't understand. I wanted a way I could learn some basic vocabulary fairly easily, so I went onto Memrise and found 1,001 most common Dutch words. Memrise usually kind of annoys me (I think it overdoes reviewing sometimes, and also the algorithm doesn't always work with the human error involved in making the flashcards), so I decided to just go through the lessons without doing the flashcards. I've been copying down words I don't recognize with their English definitions, and lo and behold, I'm understanding quite a bit more Dutch! A nice breakthrough!

In other news, I started a language blog at https://bookboundpolyglot.wordpress.com/. I'm hoping to talk more about "introverted" study techniques like reading and listening. There are only a couple posts up right now, but I'm having fun writing it so far!
2 x

pact83
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: Dutch, German, French
Learning: Japanese, Mandarin, Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1217

Postby pact83 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:44 am

solocricket wrote:Does anyone know of a decent online Dutch-English, English-Dutch dictionary? I've been pretty dependent on Google Translate (for individual words), but I'd really like more to use.

I've used the online Van Dale which you can set to NL-EN or EN-NL as well as a bunch of other languages.

Don't if you're looking for video material, but there's a lot on Uitzending Gemist and also regular news bulletins at NOS - some of these are quite short as during the week they broadcast every couple of hours.

Good luck with your Dutch!
0 x

solocricket
Orange Belt

Postby solocricket » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:12 pm

Thanks for the resources!
0 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:15 pm

Hi/1 I checked out your blog, and wanted to encourage you to share your thoughts about language learning as a person who prefers solitude over socializing.
0 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Return to “Language logs”