Jeffers' German, French and Hindi

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Re: Jeffers' German, French and Hindi

Postby jeffers » Sun May 03, 2020 2:37 pm

The Super Challenge has started! I have signed up for a French full challenge, and half challenges in German and Hindi. So far I've done a bit of work in all my languages, but the most in French. Unfortunately, I've spent more of my challenge time on two other tasks than on the actual SC: answering (or arguing with :lol: ) questions about the challenge, and making a tracking spreadsheet (see pic below).

French
I started with an easy reader that I've read at the beginning of all of the Super Challenges, Rémi et le mystère de Saint-Péray. It's not too boring for an easy reader, and I decided that it's now a tradition. Later in the day I listened to the audio of the same book three times (but I'll count it twice). Yesterday on a walk I listened to about half of another easy reader audiobook, Enquête capitale, which is really my favourite easy reader I've read in any language. The story is simple enough, but very engaging. The audio is really slow for me now, which isn't too bad for listening to while in the countryside, but I certainly won't be listening while reading. I read the first chapter of Le petit Nicolas a des ennuis before bed, which will be my first full book for this SC. I started it last SC but only read about half of it, so I'm starting it again from the beginning. Finally, I watched 3 episodes of Les p'tits diables this morning, a French cartoon that I have on DVD. I used to watch it occasionally on TV5 Monde and bought the 1st series DVDs for a previous SC. Back then I probably caught 10-20% of the words, although I could tell what was going on. Now I feel like I'm catching at least 80% of the spoken words.

German
I've read 5 chapters of German Easy Reader, by Brian Smith, while listening to the audio. I've read and listened to this before, but what I'd like to do for the immediate future is to read+listen through his 3 easy readers, move on to his pre-intermediate reader, and then finally tackle his 3 intermediate readers if I'm still interested. I haven't done anything for the film half in German yet, but my plan is to review the audio for each book after reading it.

Hindi
I'm starting Hindi by reading a few children's books I dug out of old boxes and closets. Some of these came with CDs so I'll use that for the film challenge, as well as Bollywood films. So far I've just read one book, लेमड़ी और गिलहरी (Lomri aur Gilhari, Jackal and Squirrel), which I'm counting as 5 pages.

super challenge dashboard 2.JPG

I'm quite happy with my spreadsheet now. I have six tracking pages, one for books for each language and one for films for each language. I made a data summary page which adds up how much I've done and calculates the % progress for each item. I made a sort of "thermometer" chart for each language which shows the % progress for books and films. That was simple.

The more difficult one was to make "speedometer charts" to show how I am doing today. As you can see, for my French Books, French Films and German Books the needle is all the way to the right, indicating I am at 2x or more where I should be today. Hindi Books is a bit below the middle, indicating that it is a bit behind where I should be today, and the other three charts the needle is at the bottom because I haven't logged any activity yet.

To make these charts I added columns calculating how much I should have completed by the present date and created a formula working out the percentage of that number completed to date. For example, if I should have read 50 pages by now, and have actually read 75 by now, this value would be 150%. The needle of my speedometer runs from 0-90, so I multiplied to-date completion % by 45 so that if I was 100% on the needle would point straight up. Any value over 200% was set to 90, so if I'm 2x or more of my to-date target the needle is all the way to the right.

I had never actually made a speedometer chart, found a few tutorials, finally settling on this one: https://excelchamps.com/blog/speedometer/, which I followed making a few modifications of my own. I had a lot of problems formatting the needle properly, and it turns out that for the pie chart the needle is made from, it is important to make the needle's outline and fill the colour you want, and for the other wedges to make the outline and fill clear. The website didn't mention the outlines, just the fill colours.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
8 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun May 03, 2020 4:04 pm

Wow. Someone has time during the lockdown.
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

jeffers
Blue Belt

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)

Postby jeffers » Sun May 03, 2020 4:20 pm

rdearman wrote:Wow. Someone has time during the lockdown.

A bit of time, but to be honest the spreadsheet only took me a few hours. I teach ICT and Computer Science, and I actually have to teach my year 10s how to make a dashboard for their next unit. Having tried it for myself, I'm not going to be showing them how to make a speedometer, much too fiddly!
1 x

jeffers
Blue Belt

Postby jeffers » Mon May 04, 2020 11:00 pm

I'm now on track for the reading challenge in all three of my languages, in fact a bit ahead on all three, but I've only watched in French so far.

Hindi
Read कौन बड़ा (Kaun Bara, Who is Big?) twice. 4 pages.
Read about a third of मास्टर साहब (Master Sahib).

French
Watched 40 minutes of Les p'tits diables
Finished listening to Enquête capitale (113 minutes)
I'll read a chapter or two of Le petit Nicolas a des ennuis in bed. "soon"(tm)

German
Read a single chapter of German Easy Reader, which is boring but useful at this point.

I also made some further tweaks to my spreadsheet. A number error resulted in telling me the film portion of the challenge was only 4500 minutes. Wrong! I fixed that, and made some cosmetic changes, the most important of which is the green zone only begins at the top of the arch so that I'm only in green if I'm at or a bit ahead of where I should be on any given day. I also added spin buttons below the charts so that I could change the level of my challenges (from 0 to 3), which could be useful down the road if I decide to upgrade any of my three challenges.

The good news that my spreadsheet shows me is that I am in the blue zone, "comfortably ahead", for the book portion of all three of my languages (at least until midnight, in 2 minutes!)

dashboard May 4, 2020.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue May 05, 2020 8:42 am

Don't suppose you'd like to opensource this magical spreadsheet and share with the rest of us?
5 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

jeffers
Blue Belt

Postby jeffers » Tue May 05, 2020 11:15 am

rdearman wrote:Don't suppose you'd like to opensource this magical spreadsheet and share with the rest of us?

I'm happy to do that. I'm just working out how to share a link with One Drive. Hopefully this should work:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Au7QtoKh6Liuhl7Yu1NovY7cAxK2?e=Bb6tyD

That link should open a non-editable version, but it should be possible to edit after saving a copy.

The spreadsheet is set up for three languages. Just edit the tabs and the labels as appropriate for your languages. Most of the numbers on the data sheet are filled automatically from the other pages, so don't edit those. Speedometer labels can be edited by scrolling down on the data sheet.

If it works properly, I'll share it on the SC discussion page as well.

Edit: testing the link itself, it opens up with the online version of Excel. From there you can download a copy.
5 x

jeffers
Blue Belt

Postby jeffers » Wed May 06, 2020 7:48 pm

Has anyone downloaded my spreadsheet? Does the link allow this?
0 x

jeffers
Blue Belt

Postby jeffers » Wed May 06, 2020 8:34 pm

ロータス wrote:Can download but got this
Features that we can't show in the browser and interactive reports will be removed from the downloaded copy.

Continue with download?

Seems to still work when I open on Mac

Thanks, I'll share it on the SC discussion thread then.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed May 06, 2020 9:06 pm

Only seems to work in Excel. OpenOffice, LibreOffice and Google sheets didn't work for me.
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

lingua
Blue Belt
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Thu May 07, 2020 3:01 am

I downloaded as ods since I use LibreOffice. I couldn't get it to do anything either. It seems like it may have lost the references to the tabs.

Update: I ended up downloading the xlsx version and using it LibreOffice with the excel format and that seems to work OK.
2 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

Return to “Language logs”