My Language Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
sajad96
Languages: Persian (Farsi) (N)
English (B2)
Korean(Beginner)
Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=160888

My Language Log

Postby sajad96 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:16 pm

Hey! As a start point, firstly,I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Sajad and I've joined just minutes ago.
I've been thinking of learning 3 languages at the same time and frankly speaking, I was reluctant and wondering if it's possible to learn 3 languages at the same time, but now I've seen many pals here learn many languages at the same time.
I don't have a spectacular background in learning languages but I hope I'll do my best to reach my own goals.
My native language is Farsi(Persian) , and been learning English as B1-B2 learner.
My first priority is to get my English to C1 and get a few languages to A2 level.
Along with English, I'm planning to learn Korean-Dutch-Turkish-Russian-French
Since this is my first interaction with you guys here, I feel I need to post logs weekly as a stimulation/motivation.
Thanks
Last edited by Serpent on Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Locked at the OP's request
3 x

cmia11
White Belt
Languages: French (N)
English (C1)
Spanish (B2)
Italian (B1)
Persian (A2)
German (A1)
Beginner in russian.

Re: My Language Log

Postby cmia11 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:02 pm

Cool, I am learning farsi at the moment (well I am from Persian nationality from my father but always lived in France).
I have always dreamt of learning Russian so I am waiting to see which resources you are going to use :D
1 x

sajad96
English (B2)
Korean(Beginner)
Russian (Beginner)

Postby sajad96 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:22 am

cmia11 wrote:Cool, I am learning farsi at the moment (well I am from Persian nationality from my father but always lived in France).
I have always dreamt of learning Russian so I am waiting to see which resources you are going to use :D

Nice to meet you cmia!

I've been playing an online game called "Tanki Online" for 7 years now. There, most of the players are used to be Russian, and that way, I think that is supposed to be a tremendous opportunity to have conversations with them although most of the vocabulary I come across is related to gaming itself, but I think at least, that's a good start point.

I'll use Memrize premium app to learn those languages+Youtube+Udemy.com+native news websites+musics+online forums+stuff like these...
It's 21 century and the internet is my best friend. Simply, I'll copy and paste the new words into translation websites to learn new languages.

Although my English isn't good enough, but I've learnt it all by myself until now without attending any courses.
If I buy books,mainly educational text books to read stuff like grammar,vocabulary, etc, I know I wouldn't read them.
I've got used to learn grammar and vocabulary in context,through reading and gathering input online.

In case if there is any question about learning Farsi, don't hesitate to ask, I'll be glad to help.
0 x

Wernecker
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2), German (A2), Turkish (learning), Serbian (learning)

Postby Wernecker » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:30 pm

I am learning Turkish too and I'd love to follow your progress with the language, there are not many members here learning it.
1 x
Los idiomas no son una barrera, son la via para comunicarnos con el resto del mundo

sajad96
English (B2)
Korean(Beginner)
Russian (Beginner)

Postby sajad96 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:03 am

Wernecker wrote:I am learning Turkish too and I'd love to follow your progress with the language, there are not many members here learning it.

merhaba arkadas!

I have not yet started learning any languages,even I'm not learning my main favorite language "English",because I'm busy planning things out. I have 8 university subjects to study at the same time+ khan academy subjects+machine learning. You know, it takes a lot of time. I'm trying to change my sleep habit and some other stuff. So I think it will take some time to schedule before starting the process of learning.
0 x

sajad96
English (B2)
Korean(Beginner)
Russian (Beginner)

Postby sajad96 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:04 pm

hoi! alles goed?

Ok, Universities here are closed for about 45 days! (LOL, omg!) (Because of the corona virus)
So, I'll have more time to spare to get things done. Provided, I will study these in a week (It's my goal)

English: 4h/day ......... 3h playing vocabulary.com +1 hours practicing text books.
Russian: 1h/day......... Memrise app
Dutch: 1h/day ......... Memrise app
French: 1h/day......... Memrise app
Korean: 1h/day ........Memrise app or Duolingo app
Turkish: 0.5h/day...... Memrise app

So,by the end of the week, I should have:

28 hours of English
7 hours of Russian
7 hours of Dutch
7 hours of French
7 hours of Korean
3.5 hours of Turkish

*I doubt whether 4hours of English is adequate or not, if I notice that it needs to be more, then I'll spend more time on English.

давай!
0 x

sajad96
English (B2)
Korean(Beginner)
Russian (Beginner)

Postby sajad96 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:32 am

This week's utter failure:

English : 44 hours of reading on Vocabulary.com about 78 words mastered
Russian: 1 hour
Dutch: 1 hour
Korean-French-Turkish: 0

I'm not going to give flimsy excuse but something came up and I couldn't do it better than this. I did my best but undergone a problem.

Actually THE REASON why I couldn't be consistent is some sort of distraction. I'll try to change my mindset and give it another go.

Change hurts, the only snag is that I have to get used to multitasking and keep my brain hooked into it :D

Since I've changed a few things and got plenty of time, I hope I'll manage to do the following.

Let's try again. My weekly schedule (Full schedule)

Calculus (Edx.org) : 7 hours

English (Vocabulary.com) : 42 hours

Principles of Biochemistry (Edx.org) : 4 hours

Intro to Bioethics (Edx.org) : 2 hours

Human Anatomy (Edx.org) : 2 hours

Medical Terminology (Edx.org) : 2 hours

Korean-Russian-(Memrise) (Sum up) : 14 hours

Programming: 4 hours

Again,it's a trial and error, let's see how it goes.

4 Mar-10 Mar

Don't hesitate to give your honest opinion;feedback. I'd be enthralled to hear from you.

P.S: I'll make change to this plan as I go through.

Edit no.1: I've decreased the time I would study subjects as this is namely the first week I vigorously started studying. I'll gradually increase the time for the next weeks.
Last edited by sajad96 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
0 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:52 pm

Honestly, it's asking a lot of your brain to try to learn 4 new languages at once. I'm not counting English in this as your level seems quite good, but it would probably be more efficient to pick one and work on it for more time and including a wider variety of activities (e.g. reading, listening, watching videos). Just a suggestion!
1 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

sajad96
English (B2)
Korean(Beginner)
Russian (Beginner)

Postby sajad96 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:08 pm

jeffers wrote:Honestly, it's asking a lot of your brain to try to learn 4 new languages at once. I'm not counting English in this as your level seems quite good, but it would probably be more efficient to pick one and work on it for more time and including a wider variety of activities (e.g. reading, listening, watching videos). Just a suggestion!

Yes! Learning 6 languages simultaneously would be torturous.
So I will try English + Russian + Korean.

I will stick to these 3.

After getting these to an appropriate level,like B2, then will start the next 3.

The reason I adhere to reading English is that I need to enrich my vocabulary at this level to get it to the next one in lesser time and aside that, I have spoken audio always on which helps me with pronunciation. I used to watch YouTube a lot but now it became a tedious affair to me :/

Thanks for your sincere opinion!
1 x

Return to “Language logs”