Snowflake's Mandarin Log - Continued

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
snowflake
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1292

Re: Snowflake's Mandarin Log - Continued

Postby snowflake » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:59 pm

Smallwhite; Yes the sentences are for the 2nd case when it's 50/50 as to whether Ralph will buy it or not. 笔记型电脑 and 笔电 are both terms for a laptop. My habit is to use 笔记本 which my mainlander friends accept whereas my Taiwanese chat partner thinks that's a regular notebook. At this point I think my 说法 will always be a mix which can be a bit annoying but is less important in the overall scheme of things.
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:20 am

snowflake wrote:Smallwhite; Yes the sentences are for the 2nd case when it's 50/50 as to whether Ralph will buy it or not. 笔记型电脑 and 笔电 are both terms for a laptop. My habit is to use 笔记本 which my mainlander friends accept whereas my Taiwanese chat partner thinks that's a regular notebook. At this point I think my 说法 will always be a mix which can be a bit annoying but is less important in the overall scheme of things.

No problem with what to call a laptop; I understand them all. I was just trying to match your 2 sentences to the 2 cases, as I thought you'd give me 1 sentence for each case. I await the sentence for the 1st case, then.

smallwhite wrote:how do you say "Ralph will buy that laptop" when you know it will happen, ie. the case in which you said "大约" has to be used, and how do you say "Ralph will buy that laptop" when you think Ralph will buy it but he might not, ie. the case in which your said "大概" has to be used?

1st case: awaiting
2nd case: Ralph大概会买那笔记型电脑/笔电。

Which means we are talking about the "probably" meaning, and not the "approximately" meaning. That's good!
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

snowflake
Orange Belt

Postby snowflake » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:22 am

Checking in; Started a routine using advanced/audio-book shadowing (per the Wiki page) with a goal of memorizing the material, then started acupuncture sessions....am extremely tired. Will probably update again after the treatment is over.
0 x

mouse
White Belt
Languages: eng (n), zh, jp

Postby mouse » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:54 pm

snowflake wrote:Smallwhite; Ralph大概会买那笔记型电脑。
................. Ralph大概会买那笔电。

I'm not a native speaker, but I would expect a to see a 个 after 那.*

* edit: in this context.
0 x

snowflake
Orange Belt

Postby snowflake » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:06 am

mouse wrote:I'm not a native speaker, but I would expect a to see a 个 after 那.*

My take is the sentence is talking about a particular model of laptop as opposed to say that grey laptop which is on the top of a pile of black laptops. If I were pointing out that specific grey one then a measure word would be used.

个 can be used for laptops though the preferred one is 台. In conversation I tend to forget the 台 and use 个. In an assessment test we would definitely want to use 台.
0 x

snowflake
Orange Belt

Postby snowflake » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:56 pm

Still feeling tired and not doing any "studying", waiting until after the acupuncture treatments are over.....was invited to a get familiar with the school meeting for the graduate level classes I was considering auditing. After mulling about my weaknesses which the AP class exposed, decided to not take the graduate level classes. Received several emails (traditional characters) about the meeting, then got a very nice voice message and felt a response was warranted. Lately a few people have been trying to pull me into various groups and activities but I've been saying that my vocabulary is not up to snuff. They’ve generally been replying that I'm fine and participating will improve my Mandarin. This also is for activities which don’t have any fees. When I followed up on the message, had a rather long conversation which started in Mandarin, switched to English, and ended in Mandarin. 95% of what I said was in Mandarin, had some mistakes, not the best vocabulary but I spoke quickly and didn't get stuck. Another thing is that these classes are local to this area and we're actively looking for a house about a 1 1/2 hour drive away. A friend here said she’d introduce me to a Mandarin speaking group there.

2 Taiwanese chat partners have agreed to help me with shadowing, basically listening to me recite and encouraging me.
2 x

mouse
White Belt
Languages: eng (n), zh, jp

Postby mouse » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:32 am

snowflake wrote:

My take is the sentence is talking about a particular model of laptop as opposed to say that grey laptop which is on the top of a pile of black laptops. If I were pointing out that specific grey one then a measure word would be used.

If I were you I would check with native speakers. Your sentence sounds very wrong to me. Whether you use 个 or 台 or 部 or 种 or whatever, you have to have a measure word there.
0 x

snowflake
Orange Belt

Postby snowflake » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:42 am

mouse wrote:
snowflake wrote:

If I were you I would check with native speakers. Your sentence sounds very wrong to me. Whether you use 个 or 台 or 部 or 种 or whatever, you have to have a measure word there.

Uh, those sentences were given to me by a native Mandarin speaker.
0 x

snowflake
Orange Belt

Postby snowflake » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:50 am

Smallwhite, still working on the sentence with 大约. To my surprise I've ended up with 3 different Taiwanese chat partners, so am talking to all of them about 大约.
0 x

snowflake
Orange Belt

Postby snowflake » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:06 am

Under bang head here ==> X
Pleco and some other online dictionaries have 针灸 (acupuncture) as zhēnjiǔ. Since I'm going through sessions that word comes up in my conversations. A native Mandarin speaker friend from the Philippines said it should be zhen1jiu4. We then asked someone from Shandong who said it should be zhen1jiu1. She ended up checking her dictionary which surprised her with zhen1jiu3. Then I mentioned this in a chat with someone from Taiwan who said it should be zhen1jiu2. She checked her dictionary which also had 1st tone, 2nd tone.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”