Mandarin: Year 4.5

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Aozu
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (B 0.5)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1275

Re: Mandarin: Year 4.5

Postby Aozu » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:59 pm

我有肾结石 :(

First time having these. Everything they're advertised. First time in a long time I even had to skip Anki for... 3? 4? days. Brutal. Sucks because I was really going to ramp up for Thanksgiving with my in-laws. I basically lost an entire week so have to catch up on work and stuff too. Do not recommend 'em.
0 x
: 8 / 24 Musty Old DeFrancis

Aozu
Yellow Belt

Postby Aozu » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:23 pm

Turns out due to (a) my slowly increasing reading ability and (b) wowhead FINALLY has a chinese tab, I can now blunder my way through WoW quest text. Oh happy day! So instead of procrastinating reading a real book and never actually doing it, I can at least play a computer game in an educational manner.

Plus, it does turn out that I do have sufficient willpower to actually stop and read it all. In three separate sessions of an hour each (which were like 90% reading and 10% running around playing the game), it seems to be about 15 new words per hour for me, which is frankly not too bad. Better than Island of the Blue Dolphins, definitely. I am being a bit generous and not adding 'obvious' new words... something that immediately makes sense to me doesn't go into the Anki lists, I do have to draw the line somewhere.

I also could do this all day if I, you know, didn't have work to do and also didn't care about piling up way-too-long word lists. From previous experience, about 30 new Anki words a day is a comfortable amount, so this will be another of the slow and steady tasks, but at least it's fun, and it's getting tons of practice with reading speed and grammar. Even an hour or two a day is much more reading than I had been doing. I really think getting my reading speed up is what I desperately need in order to make reading more enjoyable (I have probably mentioned before that I am a very, very fast reader in English which ultimately just makes reading Chinese at my current speed even more depressing and demoralizing).

But, this is definitely a milestone for me. Many years ago after messing around with the Spanish version a little I was all 'man I bet if I could play this game in Chinese I could learn it', and it only took like 4 years to get to the point where I could even really start. Frickin' Chinese. :lol:
2 x

Aozu
Yellow Belt

Postby Aozu » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:01 am

Welp, Thankgiving, though fun and food was had by all, kinda sucked for Chinese.

There were a bunch of English-speaking relatives around that we hadn't seen in years and for both days we were visiting, there was so much talking and things to catch up on and other stuff happening that there was never really a good time for me to use much of any Mandarin. Just too much general commotion, and people could barely hear each other speaking English, let alone something more complicated. If you took all the minutes and added them up I had maybe an hour total time to talk with 外婆, but I kept hoping for a better, quieter, time and it never really happened.

I wouldn't be so bummed about the traveling it took to get there and the days we hung out speaking English except that 外婆 is old and I might not have too many chances to talk with her. I will take this as a lesson to just practice more and more speaking so I don't have to look for these quiet moments during visits and just plow over everybody who's talking like everyone else.

On the plus side, I found out my nephew, one of these hardly-ever-seen-on-this-coast people, is in his third year of Chinese classes in school. Who knew? We'll have to start sending each other hardly-comprehensible emails.
0 x

Aozu
Yellow Belt

Postby Aozu » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:15 pm

As it seems to every year, the holidays wreaks havoc with my schedule and my log is just about the last thing I get around to updating...

I've been primarily listening to FSI in the car, so my little graph in my signature no longer makes much sense. Why? Because I can only listen to the P1 and C1s in the car - I can manage those with audio only but the P2, C2, and Ds really need to have a pdf open. So at this point I'm all done with Module 4 and well into 5 on the P1/C1s but am way behind on the other ones. However at least I can make sense of all the P1/C1s so far, that's progress.

Severely slacking on reading of any sort, including WoW which is costing me $15 a month so I really need to get on that. Also bad about watching TV... I think I saw about 3 HelloChineses and that's it. I got a few more show recommendations and I might try one without English subtitles, since I have to do that at some point but I expect it to be brutal and confusing without the crutch.

A bit better with HelloChinese... I was bad for a few weeks but in the last week I started some more messaging and almost immediately got a couple of really good prospects. We'll see if they drop off the radar soon or not. I also got a TON of new chat requests in the last week.... I can only suspect that New Year's Resolutions to learn English is a thing in China. :D

I'm not really big on resolutions myself but things should be clearing up a bit soon - less holiday events and travel and such - so I'm really looking forward to that and having a little more time in the day. I never really do everything I want to anyway but it would be nice to have more of a fighting chance! :lol:
0 x

Aozu
Yellow Belt

Postby Aozu » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:51 am

Guess who fell off the log update wagon?

Though honestly for quite a while it would have been a boring series of reports of "well, keeping up on Anki and listening to FSIs in the car."

I did eventually finish the FSIs in the car, whee.

But back around May or so I decided to put a concerted effort into making sure I watched SOMETHING every day, and I've kept that up fairly well, going between Jia You Er Nv and Happy Chinese as time permits, sometimes both in one day.

That's been going well. I think I've mentioned before that JYEN has no English subtitles so I really have to concentrate to figure it out. About 25% of them are just confusing, about half I basically know what's going on, and about 25% I have a fairly good idea of everything. The one I watched yesterday was about some little girl who was sick of her piano lessons and I was able to keep up very well, that was a particularly good one for comprehension.

But the main change has been in my reading.

In June I finally resolved to finish up my last remaining level 1 Mandarin Companion Reader, the Secret Garden, which I did at a rate of a chapter per day. I noticed that my reading was still picking up speed, albeit slowly, but it was encouraging so I decided to make sure that I did some reading every day, and blocked out half an hour on my daily calendar for it. I started by plodding my way through a Chinese version of The Stand.

That was interesting. I slogged along at a page of about 1 page a day, occasionally a bit more, which took about 20 minutes. I didn't write down any new words or anything, but it was doable. And some days, since I've liked The Stand so much over the years, I was able to find the time and incentive to read for an hour or more (at separate times - a couple times I tried to do two pages in one sitting but halfway through the second page my brain would turn to mush so I stopped doing that).

Anyway I got to about page 35 or so and then I needed a book for a couple of hours in a location where I didn't want to be bumbling about with my two The Stand books - both the English and Chinese ones are bulky and it would have been a pain - so I grabbed this random thing I got a while back and had never really even read called Tales & Traditions. And I was unaccountably mesmerized. It was the first time I really read something and it was as pleasurable as reading in English. And most importantly I understood it.

So The Stand went back on the shelf (for now) and I dove right back into the noob books. I've separated my piles of readers into 'already read' and 'haven't read' and I'm going through 'haven't read', and when they're done I'm going right back to the older ones, even the old easy easy stuff like the Chinese Breezes, because what's happening here is the grammar is finally gelling for me. I can finally read the easy stuff fast enough to see sentences as coherent units instead of having to go back each time after figuring out the characters and reconstruct the whole damn thing. I can also finally read it fast enough to read it with distractions, to read it when I have small chunks of time, and to read it just for the fun of it.

The advice is always to not try to read stuff that's too hard, and I can see how that is good advice but it is not only really difficult for impatient people to take that advice but it is also just plain tricky to gauge what is 'hard', especially in a character-based language. But I think I'm finally able to not only accept that advice for myself but embrace it with enthusiasm. It only took about forever. :P
2 x

Aozu
Yellow Belt

Postby Aozu » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:59 pm

I've finished one of those Tales & Traditions books since last time, and I'm one story away from finishing a second. So, still trucking along on reading, whee.

Been listening to old Upper Intermediate Chinesepods in the car. The actual dialog is a mystery but I can pretty much figure out what they're talking about in the main part of the lesson, when they discuss the dialog, with the added stray English words and such. These are a pretty big jump up from Intermediates, though, since most of the whole thing is in Chinese. I'm not really 'studying' them, just using them as car audio, but I'll repeat things they say and so on, so I'm sure it's useful.
0 x

Aozu
Yellow Belt

Postby Aozu » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:28 am

Another Tales & Traditions down and I finished the first one of the other series from that publisher, The Sky is Bright With Stars, yesterday. This series is not as interesting and a lot more of the book is taken up with questions and answers about what you just read, which is random essays about why dogs are good pets or why we revere old people. But whatever, it was an easy read that didn't take too long.

Next up I guess it's time for the 2nd half of Great Expectations.

I've also been doing a lesson a day from the musty old Defrancis Beginning Chinese, since I feel like my speech is so disconnected from everything else. Up to lesson 8 already because it's all super super basic so far, but it does take a good forty minutes or so for me to just read through everything aloud, especially with all the various combination drills.

The good part about the Defrancis books is they're cheap used - if you can find them - since they're relatively ancient. The 'normal' books are in pinyin, which doesn't bug me too much now. It would have been a bad crutch as a real beginner, and annoying when I knew just some of the words in characters, but at this point it's all pretty interchangeable in my head, especially the first 1000 characters or so.

I imagine I'll find the real point where I need review somewhere near the end of the Beginning book or maybe in the Intermediate, but we'll see when we get there.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”