2020 - C1 in German by june

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Re: 2020 - C1 in German by june

Postby Mista » Thu May 14, 2020 2:02 pm

tungemål wrote:I had one Italki-lesson yesterday for speaking practice.
I must say my speaking skills are not great, even though I have improved my German overall. Of course, this was the first time I spoke German in a month. The problem is that I am slow because I need time to think, that I make mistakes if I am not careful, and that common sentence constructions don't come easily. For listening and reading I am good and there my level is enough for C1, but not for speaking.

How to work with this without booking 100 italki-lessons?

I had exactly that problem in French, and one of the things I did to solve it was to meet up with a couple of fellow learners once a week to speak French. We were three people who met at a café for around an hour and just spoke French about anything we felt like talking about. This was a "French only" zone for us, meaning that we only communicated with each other in French, including when messaging each other to cancel or change the time. For me, that was a very efficient, and agreeable, way of dealing with that problem. Plenty of speaking opportunities for all of us, and a very safe and comfortable environment.

You could probably get some of the same effect out of talking to yourself at home, but it's a little weird. It's much more enjoyable, inspiring and natural if you have someone to talk to. And with the specific problems you describe, you don't need natives. The good thing about fellow learners is that they have the same motivation as you do for the project, and I also think it's better, in this particular situation, to use fellow learners that a tandem partner, because that allows you to keep that "target language zone", and after a while you immediately start thinking in your target language when you meet those people (provided you stick to the rule that you always use your target language together).
4 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Thu May 14, 2020 3:08 pm

Will the tests be held in June? Do you know yet?
0 x

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Postby tungemål » Fri May 15, 2020 7:30 am

Mista wrote:Will the tests be held in June? Do you know yet?

Depends on location. My plan was to take the test in Poland 18th of june, because that would have cost less than going to Oslo and take it there. In addition the date suited me. They don't know yet if it will be held. Oslo confirmed that they will offer the test 8th of june but that is not a good date for me.
0 x

tungemål
Blue Belt

Postby tungemål » Wed May 27, 2020 7:38 pm

I haven't done much German lately. Was occupied with other things, but I have watched youtube videos and kept up the Anki review.

I need to finish the grammar book. I also would like to do more speaking sessions, and write a couple more texts. My plan was to finish German medio june. I don't know if I can take a test in Poland, and if not I'll postpone the test. I will stop the German studies anyway in june, to concentrate on other things.
1 x

tungemål
Blue Belt

Postby tungemål » Fri May 29, 2020 8:12 pm

I had one lesson on Italki today, and we did exercises on German prepositions. I also got speaking practice of course, as we only speak German during these lessons. It was definitely useful to drill grammar constructions, but it might be more beneficial for me just to get a lot more speaking practice in general. What do you think, do you do grammar exercises on Italki?
2 x

Miss_French_2020
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (Native), French (B1-ish)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 57#p165355

Postby Miss_French_2020 » Sat May 30, 2020 4:01 am

tungemål wrote:I had one lesson on Italki today, and we did exercises on German prepositions. I also got speaking practice of course, as we only speak German during these lessons. It was definitely useful to drill grammar constructions, but it might be more beneficial for me just to get a lot more speaking practice in general. What do you think, do you do grammar exercises on Italki?

Yes I do grammar on italki. The Professional Teachers I've used have based their lessons on grammar but in a conversational style. Personally, this is my preferred style of lesson because it is still speaking practice but just feels more structured. They'll bring up a grammar point and first they get me to try to explain it and teach it to them. This is good speaking practice in and of itself and checks my understanding. We might do a few grammar exercises but then the majority of the lesson is normal conversation where they'll ask followup questions that force me to use the grammar point. I also do just pure speaking practice with community tutors but I find the more structured conversations more useful for me at my level (beginner to low intermediate).
- Matilda
3 x
Double Super Challenge Books: 5302 / 10000 Film: 8416 / 18000

Dagane
Orange Belt
Languages: I regularly use:
Spanish (N)
English (C2)
German (C1+)
Hungarian (A2?)

I formerly studied:
Galician (B2?)
Dutch (A1)
Czech (A0)
Portuguese (A2?)
French (A1?)

Postby Dagane » Sat May 30, 2020 8:21 am

I have the same problem regarding the exam. My goal for this year was taking the C1 exam in May, but the exam has of course been postponed indefinitely. I'm not sure I'll take it at all if I cannot do it this summer. I wish you good luck with yours.
1 x

tungemål
Blue Belt

Postby tungemål » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:32 pm

Ok, I have focused on German for 5 months now. A summary of what I have worked on:

- a lot of listening. I watched TV or listened to radio about 1 hour every day, some days more.
- I had so far 7 lessons on Italki for speaking. Not much speaking outside of that.
- I have worked with the grammar book B-Grammatik, Übungsgrammatik, only a few pages left
- I added 2036 new cards to Anki, that is 1018 new words bidirectionally, and I am almost finished reviewing them.
- I've written 5 essays that have been corrected
- I read a couple of news articles, magazine articles, and one short story.
5 x

slowmoon
Orange Belt
Languages: EN (N), DE (Int.)

Postby slowmoon » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:58 pm

Do you feel satisfied with your level?
1 x

tungemål
Blue Belt

Postby tungemål » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:15 pm

No. :o :lol:
Improvement is slow. Sometimes it doesn't feel like I have improved at all, but I must have.

I will finish the German studies anyway middle of june, because I feel I have spent enough time on German.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”