Expug’s 2020 Log: Austerity and Adaptability

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Re: Expug’s 2020 Log: Austerity and Adaptability

Postby Mista » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:01 pm

Expugnator wrote:How many words for 'tired' are there in Norwegian after all?

Tom Egeland wrote:«Er du trett?»
«Egentlig ikke. Bare sliten.»

Trett (or "trøtt") actually means "sleepy". It is sometimes used more widely (dialectal variation), but I think that in the sense of "tired", it will usually mean "fed up" rather than "exhausted".
3 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:25 pm

Thank you @Mista once again.

Yesterday I walked home and so I managed to resume listening to the Russian podcast. At first I was afraid the volume would be too low - might be an issue of the entire Castbox app - but my ears got used, which is actually better, as I'll be improving in a harder language under not entirely optional conditions. My hat is off to the author. He talks very clearly and appropriately for an intermediate learner. He explains difficult words in Russian itself and that helps improve my skills as a whole.

I had no classes in the evening so I took my time. I did reading ahead, gained some extra points on CM, did some Duo as well - Turkish is starting to connet the dots. I did Hebrew on the stay-at-home iPad (yeah, the one which takes care of the kids and wife), which is the only device I have Hebrew TTS for. It is a pit that this works as an excuse for my not studying Hebrew that often. Some quirks might hinder progress in a language. I don't do Hebrew review because I tend to do new sentences first, and I only do new sentences on my iPad which has TTS, and I never have time for that. As for Duo, lessons are long so I need more relaxed Duolingo time which I never seem to have. And with this I end up studying very little Hebrew and not doing what I need to attain the synergy with Assimil and Shtisel which are also not enough (I'm not fully concentrated during Shtisel either). I'm having the same issue of doing no CM for Greek because I leave it for the end and when I'm home I end up doing the text-input languages.

This morning I had a headstart on CM at last. Will try to at least do proper Greek reviews today.

One positive thing January brought me. You know when the self-help author asks you to elect your 20 most important things and then reduce them to 5 and work only on those 5? So, I've actually decided my prioritary project. It demands so much creativity and a sharp mind not burned out from excessive language study at the end of the day, but the way my language schedule is evolving I might actually have both the energy and the time for starting it almost fresh at the second half of the afternoon. Now it's also a matter of conquering blankpage panic. Priority number #2 was learning about digital marketing, and the very complete introductory course is doing the job. I have at least 3 podcasts to help and with this topic I won't delve into reading too much, will rather be more practical and search for additional theory as new issues come up. I need to learn how to learn by doing as well.

A minor change in my Clozemaster sequence increased my productivity. I do Romance languages, then German, Turkish, Romanian and the low-hanging fruits Swedish and Afrikaans, which I do as text input. I spend a good time on them. I used to leave them as my final text input rounds prior to mass review on easier languages, so that added extra stress. Now after them I still have Catalan, German_from_Swedish and Norwegian_from_Spanish and Indonesian. This way I don't get stuck at a sequence of the hardest decks.

Georgian reading is actually becoming easy. Thanks to that, I was way ahead of schedule before lunch. After lunch I spent some time discussing finantial education with coworkers before resuming studying, but it still felt productive.

Russian has seens some comprehension spurts in the past days. I'm finally gaining some confidence with regards to the languages, and much of it comes from doing more diverse tasks in the language. The watching part is suffering because I'm doing CM at the same time and because subtitles are not a constant, but listening-reading got an impulse as well as the podcast I've already mentioned.

Managed to pay more attention to Shtisel today. I might have underestimated the difficulty of understanding the Hebrew sounds. I thought that as only as I read the L2 subtitles I'd be able to just associate sound and meaning. Well, turns out I don't understand Hebrew phonemes as easily as I do with Georgian for example (where I could transcribe the phonemes long before I'd understand meaning) or Mandarin where just the listening L1 + reading L2 part of the listening-reading method will already help a lot. In the case of Hebrew, just listening isn't enough as I won't be able to tell what I heard. I have to rely on the Hebrew subtitles as well as a reality check to what I've heard, the same way that the audio helps with filling in the vowels. So audio and script have to be learned altogether, something I've always known. I just thought I'd learn enough from the phonology to be able to learn from pure listening + translation, but I was wrong. Languages with complex writing systems worsen the phonology acquisition curve, and with Hebrew the incertainty about vowels also makes the acquisition of words from writing slower or virtually impracticable, which in its turn makes listening more challenging. Just a confirmation of what I've said that I should stick to clear audio + script for as much as I can, even when doing more challenging learning to the side. I plan to always have a text+audio source even throughout the B level.

I've updated my goals for this year. Next comes a list of resources due this year.

Due to the rain, I was allowed to leave earlier and thus I did less Clozemaster. I was already done for the day anyway.
2 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani

Postby Expugnator » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:40 pm

Yesterday I had two classes so I had not much time for app-learning. Still managed to read ahead 13 pages and do some extra Clozemaster. Tomorrow is supposed to be less busy.

I didn't see it coming: I've watched the entire Барбоскины. I have to organize my resources so I can replace this slot with dubbed CW series, so that I can finish them faster. They will probably replace the ones I'm watching in German as the German dubbing takes a lot of time to get released.

For the time being, I resumed Mr Robot when I left years ago at the 2nd season. It's getting easy to follow and sometimes I understand dubbed Russian without subtitles. I believe this is going to be a breakthrough year for Russian. It might at least catch up with Georgian in reading and maybe even better at listening (for I've always had more n+1 audio for Russian), if all goes well even some improvement in speaking. I'm convinced this dubbing-series round will be a turning point for my Russian.

My new device will hopefully arrive and I'm wondering which languages are available as built-in dictionaries on iOs 12 and 13.

Today was calm and so I managed to resume listening to the digital mkt course while doing Clozemaster. I hope to work on Duolingo in the evening.
0 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:19 pm

Yesterday I wasn't much keen on scoring on CM. Actually the margin is narrower now. At least it's not the usual stalker who (which?) racks up hundreds of thousands of points while playing few sentences. Now it's a much fairer competition.

I did managed a few rounds of Norwegian review and I'm starting to approach my Romance-language speed for typing, even with the å's, ø's and æ's I have to type the normal keyboard way because Clozemaster has no Alt+ shortcuts as it does for most languages (Norwegian also lacks a TTS in all platforms, I wonder what makes it so neglected, even Icelandic has TTS on Firefox).

I managed to read ahead, did the Hebrew multiple choice with TTS sound but neglected Greek on Clozemaster and did little Duolingo, where I'm approaching the demotion zone again. I don't want to leave the Duolingo work for the weekend but then this week I haven't had much focused time while at home. Well, it actually meant spending more time with the kids in this case, so how can I complain?

I'm a bit discouraged with the Estonian soap opera because it's going through a period where the bad guys are all prevailing, including a recycled bad girl. It's just a mild soap opera focusing on relationships, but I get enough corruption and swindling from the news already.

Duolingo Turkish has been a surprise. Actual microlearning is happening, combined with my background from Clozemaster. The sentences make sense thanks to my background on languages with similar features, such as Georgian, so I'm learning through directly comparing sentence and translation. Even so, I like how sentences are neatly graded through the grammar point they want to illustrate so far. I'm not reading any grammar explanations because I only use mobile, but at least the sentences itself are relevant (even if the Duo vocabulary with too many random names of animals is still there).

Chinese listening-reading si the highlight of the day. It starts to actually feel like fluency and I have a vocabulary coverage in the third tier. Nicholas Sparks' translator loves to make use of specific personal pronouns such as feminine 妳 and animal 牠, as in 这样牠们就不玩了 . Funny and cool, though I wonder how often people do actually use those characters.

After a start that felt too eventyrsk for my taste's, Tom Egeland's Skyggelandet took a turn into describing the daily life of a couple in their 30's. It will probably get back into trylle again, but these pages alone are really helping with improving and consolidating my vocabulary. I'm following the story with much less effort.

I've started a new CM level for Afrikaans, 1000-2000 most common words, after seeing all sentences in the previous one, and seriously I'm not finding it particular hard either. My discount is much higher than I had expected and I can also quickly learn the new cognates I don't figure out myself based on intuitively applying the phonological rules I'm starting to aprehend from the previous levels.

Ok, reading Georgian is no longer a chore. Maybe I can envisage reading it extensively next year. It's creepy how The Lunar Chronicles revolves around a pandemia in a China of the future.

I had totally forgotten that the Arrow episodes I got are and which I'm using for Indonesian are dual audio - Russian/English. So I can even keep watching the same episode, 10 minutes in Russian and 10 minutes in English with Indonesian and Portuguese subtitles, as all I have to do is switch the audio channel and maybe ignore the Indonesian subtitles when I do the Russian listening.

The Chinese series I'm watching has been recorded in Qingdao. Looks like a nice city.

I'm halfway through Méthode d'Indonésien and I have the feeling the textbooks are starting to repeat themselves. Basic Indonesian grammar evolves around describing word formation with infixes plus aspectual marking with adverbs. There's not much to be "learned" and even the noun/verbal derivation caan be learned in context.

Had a great subtitle reading session in Indonesian. It is starting to become transparent actually. If I had a steady source of translated novels I could already be reading in parallel, but I think it's okay to stick to subtitles while they're still productive. They have an appropriate register, though a bit formal. At one point, though, series stop providing that much new vocabulary and are valuable rather for the listening training, which won't be the case here. My point is: merely reading the subtitles from a series won't take your vocabulary that far if you want to be able to read too, because the series is closer to the spoken language in terms of vocabulary density.

Had a very long chat with my Georgian contact. She wants to become an online teacher and is asking for some tips. The conversation went on with no strain for either parts, though I had to check the odd sentence at GT (which got way better for Georgian in the past months, by the way).

A much productive day. The weekend awaits and I hope I don't have to worry much about CM and Duo.
1 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:57 pm

The weekend was a bit more typical and I got the odd language learning task covered. We didn't go out for long or for the evening or travelled. I managed to attend the Polyglot Meetup on Saturday and spoke some German. I'm really looking forward to seizing opportunities to speak German this year.

I resumed my Podcast italiano listening while preparing my snacks. One episode was particularly low - on the inaudible side regardless of language side of low, so I fiddled around and found there is a volume gain option. I even managed a bit from the Brazilian podcast on digital marketing.

I did reading ahead, gathered material for Georgian and even watched one Arrow episode (in English plus BR subtitles which is all the Netflix allows me now, regardless of the language in my profile).

I slowed down on Clozemaster. Favored quality over quantity. I could study even the weaker languages and I managed to to Hebrew new sentences on the iPad with TTS as multiple choice and review sentences as text input. I'm trying to keep my Greek streak as well. Duolingo was again just a bit above the minimum for remaining at the Diamond league.

One important development just after asking at Cavesa's log was that I played some German sentences on Speakly. Alternating languages there isn't as intuitive as at Duolingo. I took the placement test weeks ago, so I was playing sentences from intermediate II, which is behind Estonian which is Advanced I now - even if in practice my German is way better than my Estonian. That said, I'm actually thinking about resuming and starting German from scratch, because I like the consistency it added to my Estonian. I'll have several easy sentences but I'll also fill in some grammar gaps - like articles x cases - through usage in relevant sentences. It seems the German course has kept the overall high quality of the Estonian one, which I was afraid it wouldn't since Estonian has the advantage of being Speakly's native language.

Being able to work more calmly on some neglected CM decks brought up one idea I had figured out before: it's important to pay attention to those specific tasks/steps that discourage you from resuming a learning activity. Example: I quickly do Chinese multiple choice as #1 in the day, but next one is Chinese text input which has impredictable duration. So I end up procrastinating at times and getting stuck at Mandarin while I could already be done with Georgian, Estonian and the following ones early in the morning. What I do is either skip Mandarin text input for a while - at risk of forgetting about it, as for all effects Mandarin streak will already be there thanks to the multiple choice sessions - or pick some concentrated time and to it at once, not as a background activity whatsover. The fact that CM displays streaks for individual languages both helps to keep studying and discourages it, because at the end of most busy days it's easy for me to just do the bare minimum.

With Duolingo my canonical order is Guarani - getting level 3 crowns for each skill now - followed by Hebrew and Indonesian. Well these are actually the most challenging activities. So instead I've been doing my newer courses because they are easier, more fun and have shorter lessons. They're usually Mandarin and Turkish. Duolingo doesn't list streak per language so I usually solve the streak issue at the first language. It makes it hard to keep working on the more challeging courses when times are busy, though.

All this while attending my usual appointments and spending good quality time with the girls.

I got the contact of a Georgian who lives in Brazil. Hope we can keep practicing regularly as I do with another Georgian (who lives in Georgian), because the one living in Brazil needs to practice his native language as well since he doesn't have the chance to use it here.

This morning I woke up earlier after sleeping well, went to the gym later and had time for a Clozemaster headstart. Then I walked here and managed to keep focus while listening to the Spanish podcast.

Now the Chinese series has started to become more productive. I'm still doing Yabla videos, but I'm not pausing for reading anymore. So I have to be used to reading and listening more quickly, and those skills pass over to TV series, which have simpler vocabulary than the average Yabla intermediate video meant for intensive study.

Norwegian massive reviews on CM are getting better each day. My reading has improved, so has my typing. I'm seeing a lot of words that I still didn't know actively and I'm starting to recall them more easily.

It was a productive day. February is there and I'm getting back into my usual workload (which was more intense last year than the previous ones). I hope I can keep my schedule as it is, but if changes are to happen they probably will in the next weeks. Today I managed to finish early again and proceeded to the digital marketing course while doing extra CM. Let's see how the weeks will evolve.
3 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:51 pm

The Russian podcast has been pretty much productive. I can follow the text while learning new words actively thanks to the way the author is constantly paraphrasing, explaining concepts in Russian itself.

Yesterday I had just one class, so I had time for reading ahead. I'm starting to be consistent at doing Hebrew at the TTS, on the iPad. I'm trying to start the week better off at Duolingo as well.

This morning I managed a headstart on CM, a bit less than yesterday. I could follow the Spanish podcast even better than usual, wondering if there's a fix on the audio.

At Romanian CM I started a new level, which already has familiar words though. Romanian is a low-hanging fruit that hangs lower each time.

Enough work today for allowing me to resume listening to podcasts at the desktop. I alternate a Norwegian and a French podcasts. I might have senses some bounce-wave effect after a couple of months not listening to that Norwegian podcast.

The Indonesian subtitles are working fine and synced, just like the Russian dub. Actually I'm watching the same file, 10 minutes Russian with Portuguese subtitles and 10 minutes original with Indonesian and Portuguese subtitles.

Getting back into the old routine meant having barely the time for my usual schedule. I had an unusual class-hour break in between, so maybe the trend is not that strict. Still have to keep an eye at the clock so I don't end up making the same mistakes of the previous years.
1 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:27 pm

Yesterday I had no classes so I could chill at home. I did extra CM while listening to the Brazilian podcast on digital marketing. By the way, the author is from Recife, the same city in the Northeast where this year's Poliglotar congress will take place. I'm hoping to give a lecture again.

Then I did reading ahead. No more Duolingo though, only the morning one. My next goal is to start watching Ragnarok with wife. I try to watch a non-American series whenever possible. Besides helping me with my languages, they have the advantage of having fewer episodes per season. The bar is pretty high for the series we decide to watch together.

This morning I had no headstart. Stayed in bed a bit, the rain started, got damped, had to go back home and change clothes and pick the car.

When doing Mandarin L-R, I keep losing track in long paragraphs, but the good news is that I can understand the audio syllable by syllable when comparing to the translation. My overall vocabulary has improved as a whole (also in print), including abstract words and those that differ from a more familiar one in one syllable.

Hebrew has an idiom that says "the telephone coin has fallen", meaning that now the positive result is assured. In Brazil we also use an idiom involving coins and tokens, but it goes as "a ficha caiu" meaning someone understood something after a while puzzled, cf. the penny has dropped.

I'm about to finish the course on digital marketing and I'm happy about the knowledge obtained. Looking forward to taking specific courses, content marketing for example. I'm glad I managed to embedd this course into my routine all while doing the gamification part of Clozemaster. Today has been a bit busier than yesterday but I have also been more focused and so I managed to finish the schedule soon enough to be able to work on extra activities. Another important production goal might also start to see the light thanks to some extra incentives.
1 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:15 pm

I know and use the expression “the penny has dropped” but I never realized that it was a reference to a coin in a machine....

You could say the penny just dropped!
2 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:56 pm

@Lawyer&Mom haha well-applied! Glad I could bring up a fun fact!

Yesterday I had to classes in the evening. It's one of these days I don't listen to the Russian podcast at all, which makes me wonder if I shouldn't swap noon German with going-home Russian, as Russian has been more productive. I just had the time to drop by home between one class and the other (first one is downtown and second one in a neighborhood close to mine, so it's worth picking the car) and meet the girls before putting them to sleep. When I got home at nearly 10 pm, I wasn't that much obsessed with Clozemaster so I read ahead. I also did my daily Hebrew quota. I'm glad I'm being consistent with doing CM Hebrew on TTS. Now I have to be more consistent with Greek. I did CM Greek yesterday because I spent some time in the Ubers but mosts day I neglect it and just do the streak check like I do for Finnish, Hungarian and Czech.

This morning I had no headstart as I woke up later than usual, after waking up in the middle at the night and taking some time to fall asleep again. Actually I think the reason I woke up was because I went to bed a bit earlier. I'm trying to fix my sleeptime again so that I can approach the eight hours. Six and a half just can't be enough.

Just for a change, I'm listening to a funeral in Papiamento, which was shared at the TV's YT channel.

First time I've seen a Brazilian pop song half-covered in (Syrian?) Arabic:

Towards the end, the Syrian guy sings part of the chorus in Portugese and his pronunciation is pretty good.

I've usually been distracted while watching Norwegian series but it turns out I'm reaching a critical passive knowledge where I can follow what's going on even when I'm not looking at the video. I should try some of the podcasts I've bookmarked in a rotation with German and Russian, apart from Sånn er du which I use as background for repetitive tasks but which is not an impelling topic like digital marketing in Norwegian would be.

I might have solved my German issue. A recently new series from the Arrowverse is available in German. I had been watching it in Georgian, so now German it is. And Flash moves into the Georgian slot until I can think of some more changes.

SO I finished my Digital Marketing course. Only the first of many. I really could do with learning a new profession and having a side job through writing. So far I'm only dreaming but I know I can do it.

The study day was pretty much productive though already busier than the day before. If things get busier than that I'll have to make adjustements. So far I'm feeling rather inspired and willing to finally start my personal projects at the remaining time afte my daily routine.
5 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:25 pm

After the first digital marketing course, my next step is to learn more about copywriting. The advertising undergrad is over a decade ago and I'm looking for web-specific materials. Found one in Portuguese and two about blogging in French. Always great to read in other languages. The field has changed so much that I list results per date of publication.

Investing is always full of tradeoffs, and now I wonder if I should invest on a professional writer's course or on specific digital marketing courses (for which there are a dozen free ones at the same source) or on online classes for the languages I'm more ambitious about.

A less crowded Indonesian Whatsapp group has welcomed some native speakers and I'm starting to follow the conversations and participate.

Starting to get the hang of written Icelandic from Clozemaster. It won't be a big deal if I end up with a good passive comprehension in a year. I just wonder if there is a good source for learning pronunciation and how learners manage it. The spelling/sounding correlation seems trickier than in Norwegian.

Ok, Estonian is also moving up to the later side of intermediateness. Looks like 2020 will be a fulfilling year for languages, not a promising one.

All is well for Modern Greek, too. I understand more words and sometimes full sentences. I'm trying to enhance my active skills too with the help from Clozemaster. Some abstract words with roots unseen in Portuguese remain my highest challenge.

Always having something lined up to do has been a keystone in my language learning jouney, which I know I should apply to other fields. Having finished the digital mkt course, I spent a good hour today wondering which course to take next - a more specific and technical or a broader and strategical one, a paid or a free one. The day went smoothly so even though I arrived later after a class in the morning I still managed a lot. I'm really in the mood for writing these days so if I can write elsewhere as much as I do in the log I'll get a NaNoWriMo done this year or even more.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”