A year of Korean input/exposure

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Re: A year of Korean input/exposure

Postby AndyMeg » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:13 pm

AnneL wrote:Welcome back, it's nice to have one more active person working on Korean. Looking forward to reading your old blogs.

Thanks! :D
AnneL wrote:
AndyMeg wrote:Watching a k-drama with korean audio-description was a first time experience for me and it took me a few episodes to get used to it.

It's very intense isn't it. After an hour I feel I've immersed enough for the day and my head will explode 머리 아파요 :?

If I force myself to analize everything and try to understand most of it, it can drain my energy too fast and leave me really tired. That's why I'm currently trying to not force things. I don't pause the video and I only re-play a part when it has catched my interest in a special way. Now I mainly focus on paying attention and let things flow. I don't force myself to try to understand everything (or even most of it). I'm more focused on observing with attention and receiving the input in a attentive way but without trying hard to analize things.

AnneL wrote:This could be the best audio for passive immersion too for an elementary level, you don't lose a second waiting on the next dialog.

I agree. That's why I've started to use audio-descriptions when I watch things in other languages that I'd like to be able to understand in the future. :)

AnneL wrote:
AndyMeg wrote:[b]- Transcribing by hand the CC subs of the k-drama "Because This is My First Life" (이번 생은 처음이라),

Is the goal to improve your listening/spelling?

My goal for this activity was mainly to improve my spelling and also become more aware of and familiar with grammar patterns frequently used in k-dramas. But I stopped it for the time being because it was too time consuming and I used to get easily bored when working on it.
1 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)

Postby AndyMeg » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:50 pm

Quick update:

- Watched "The Little Mermaid" (인어 공주) 2018 live action movie with the English original audio and Korean subs.

With the things I'm watching, the list of fantasy related vocabulary is increasing:

인어--> mermaid
늑대인간--> werewolf
힘--> power, energy, force
마녀--> witch
마법--> spell; sorcery, witchcraft, black magic
마법사--> magician, (남자) wizard, sorcerer, (여자) witch, sorceress

- Started to watch "My Holo Love" (나 홀로 그대). I first watched ep1 with Korean audio-description and Spanish subs and now I'm rewatching it with Spanish dubs and Korean CC subs. After I finish I would like to watch it a third time with Korean audio-description and Korean CC subs.
1 x

AnneL
Yellow Belt
Languages: By order of when I started learning:
French (N)
English (C2+fluent)
German (B1)
Spanish (A2)
Italian (A2)
Korean (A2) damn hard to reach any level, 18 months studying - B1 now at 32 months lol

Postby AnneL » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:44 pm

AndyMeg wrote:- Started to watch "My Holo Love" (나 홀로 그대). I first watched ep1 with Korean audio-description and Spanish subs and now I'm rewatching it with Spanish dubs and Korean CC subs. After I finish I would like to watch it a third time with Korean audio-description and Korean CC subs.

Thanks for mentioning this one! It could have been weeks before I noticed it... (I was back on Viki after several binges on Netflix)
The level is great for me (level of about 4000 words), and the audio-desc isn't as intense as the one in 보좌관
1 x
10000 Morphman morphemes KOREAN : 10000 / 10000 11/2018->08/2020
365 2020 challenge: day missed 0 (updated:23/Jan/21)
365 2021 challenge: day missed 0 (updated:15/July/21)

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:21 pm

AnneL wrote:
AndyMeg wrote:- Started to watch "My Holo Love" (나 홀로 그대). I first watched ep1 with Korean audio-description and Spanish subs and now I'm rewatching it with Spanish dubs and Korean CC subs. After I finish I would like to watch it a third time with Korean audio-description and Korean CC subs.

Thanks for mentioning this one! It could have been weeks before I noticed it... (I was back on Viki after several binges on Netflix)
The level is great for me (level of about 4000 words), and the audio-desc isn't as intense as the one in 보좌관

You're welcome! :D
How do you know the level (in number of words) of a drama?
0 x

AnneL
Yellow Belt
Languages: By order of when I started learning:
French (N)
English (C2+fluent)
German (B1)
Spanish (A2)
Italian (A2)
Korean (A2) damn hard to reach any level, 18 months studying - B1 now at 32 months lol

Postby AnneL » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:49 pm

AndyMeg wrote:You're welcome! :D
How do you know the level (in number of words) of a drama?

Ah no I don't know the level of the drama! I just know, by comparing with what my SRS tells me that I know, that I'm currently around 3500-4000 words I can recognise. So my own level is about 3500-4000 words and it fits that drama (roughly, as it's gotten harder by episode 9 when the old git is talking specifically - I have not a clue what he's saying), so if others know about that number of words it might be a good drama to watch too!
If I look at the subtitles I see at most one unknown word in each subtitle line for the majority of them so I can get by.

That said, if the level thing is of interest to you, you should check Ryan's work on the subject, have a look at his work here
ryanheise wrote:Korean podcasts sorted by difficulty
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12987#p159525

I wouldn't ask him to analyse whole dramas, so I just try and pay attention to the ones worth mentioning when I feel I can follow the story enough in spite of not understanding every single word.
1 x
10000 Morphman morphemes KOREAN : 10000 / 10000 11/2018->08/2020
365 2020 challenge: day missed 0 (updated:23/Jan/21)
365 2021 challenge: day missed 0 (updated:15/July/21)

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:09 pm

Quick update:

- I'm near the end of the drama "My Holo Love" (나 홀로 그대) with Korean audio-description and Spanish subs. I hate when you see the writer's hand in a story moving the threads that should be invisible and forcing a character to do something for the sake of the plot instead of because it makes sense within the story. And that's exactly what I feel has been happening with one of the characters in this drama and it just takes me out from the story. It's breaking the verisimilitude and it's making it hard for me to "believe" what's happening or even feel interested about it. This situation was bothering me so much that while I was in the middle of episode 10 I decided to just jump to episode 12 to watch the end and be done with the drama. Not sure if I want to go back to watch the episode and a half I skipped.

- I had been thinking of using Memrise/Decks to review vocabulary from my Korean classes, but it seems the Memrise app doesn't work with users' created courses anymore and I wasn't able to find an Android app for "Decks". Fortunately, I found another option called "Memorion" and felt pleasantly surprised.

I'm usually not much into using flashcards apps but, when I did try to use them, I usually preferred Memrise over Anki just because it felt more gamified and fun to do. I was initially afraid I wouldn't be able to find a gamified app like Memrise, but Memorion seems to be a lot better in that area and it also seems to allow a lot of customization to the cards and the quizzes.

Memorion is completely free and ads free also. It comes with three "modes": Beginner, Advanced and Expert. Each mode allows more flexibility and customization than the previous one but is also, of course, more complex.

The app recommends to start with the "Beginner" mode, so that you get familiar with the basics first. It allows you to generate a premade deck of some language pairs. I wanted to generate one with Korean or Japanese but neither of them were available, so I went with "Chinese". It automatically created a big Chinese-Spanish deck with sub-decks for different topics (like greetings, numbers, etc.). There were actually two big decks: one with Chinese first and Spanish second and the other with Spanish first and Chinese sencond which made it so that you could get asked in both directions (Chinese to Spanish and Spanish to Chinese).

When you don't know a word, instead of having to choose an option called "I don't know", you need to choose an option called "Play". Then, at the end of the quiz you get asked those words again but as a multiple-choice question. If you get it wrong you have to play the multiple choice questions until you get it right. If you get it right, then you are asked about the word in the normal non-multiple-choice way again and if you get it right it gets scheduled to be studied/quizzed again in 15 minutes.

Apart from the "Learn" area, there's also a "Play" area that seems to be independent from the SRS of the cards. Here you can choose among different games like:

- Match 'em
- Pick One
- Listen Up
- Memory
- Number Me
- Pick Gender
- Type It
- Spell Me
- Hang 'Em
- Just Listen

I had lots of fun within this area!!! :D

After I felt satisfied and excited enough about the app, I decided to move up a level and try the "Advanced" mode. I imported an Excel file I had created for one of my Memrise/Decks courses. This was with the Korean-English pair and within the app I could also easily create a mirror deck with English-Korean so that I could learn/practice in both directions. I didn't have sound files for this deck, but the app is able to use text-to-speech voices if you have downloaded them, so I can actually have sound for every word without having to look for and upload individual sound files for each one.

Memorion allows you to import decks from different sources (not only Excel and Word files, but also decks from Anki and Memrise/Decks and a lot more). It also lets you decide how many new cards you want to get activated each day (from 0 to 20, I think). As I've had bad experiences with Anki before, I decided to set it to 0 new cards per day and instead I activate new cards whenever I want to (there's an option for that too and you can choose from 2, 5, 10 and 20 if I remember right).

After playing for a while in the "Advanced" mode I finally decided to move up to the "Expert" mode. It has A LOT of features and possibilities. I'm still exploring it. One of my favorites so far is the option to handwrite/draw the answers to the quizzes on the screen. I'm sure more experienced flashcards users can get really creative with all the options available.
3 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:46 pm

Quick update:

- We've started to have weekly vocabulary quizzes on the free Korean classes. I'm using Memorión cram mode to study for them and then I play a lot of games. So far it's going well.

- Downloaded a Chrome extension for watching Netflix with dual subs. I'm loving it so far.

I've been watching Spinning Out (스핀 아웃) with English original audio and Korean-Spanish dual subs. The extension has really cool features. Two of my favorites is the automatic pause after each line and the possibility to not only look the meaning of words in a pop-up dictionary, but also being able to easily use other online dictionaries as well.

I first listen to the line in english, then it pauses automatically and I read the Korean sub. If I feel especially curious about the exact meaning of a word or expression I use the pop-up dictionary or pay more attention to the spanish subs. I try to get a decent understanding of the parts of each line before moving on to the next one. It's a slow process so I don't watch full episodes at once. I'm still on episode one, past the first half.

I also started watching "Siempre Bruja" (시크릿 위치) with Spanish original audio and Korean-(Spanish or English) dual subs while using the auto-pause feature. I'm still experimenting if I prefer to have the subs in Spanish or in English, given that the audio is already in Spanish. For this series I'm not using the pop-up dictionary as I want to move faster and have a more extensive approach (so it's OK if I don't have a decent understading of some parts of the Korean sentence. I just move on).

- Started to watch "Chicago Typewriter" (시카고 타자기) with Korean original audio and Spanish subs. Really enjoyed the first episode!

- Bought a book called "The Imperial Guide to Feng-Shui & Chinese Astrology: The Only Authentic Translation from the Original Chinese" by Thomas F Aylward. It had a great discount and I think it's an opportunity to learn more about Chinese culture and way of thinking and the influence it has had in other countries like Korea and Japan.
4 x

Return to “Language logs”