test

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Re: test

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:23 pm

What a great list with the names and languages!!!! :)
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

kyukumber
White Belt

Postby kyukumber » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:32 pm

The omission of English is intentional. I only included it as one's native language because it appeared very fair to assume that everyone spoke it, and they do.

If it is possible to tweak permission for editing posts for a specific thread or just one specific post so everyone can contribute and maintain the list, then all you need is a thread dedicated to it.

I'm personally not content with the current format of the list, but it is , given the current situation regarding how people descrive their language skills (i.e. Some just say they speak X languages and do not mention at what level they do.), the lack of standardisation of sort. I'm willing to work on it a bit more and improve and update the list, if there presents such a demand nonetheless. Unless somebody wants to make it his/her pet project.

In any case, I didn't expect it to catch anyone's attention at all and am therefore glad that someone sees even the slightest value in it.
0 x

kyukumber
White Belt

Postby kyukumber » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:10 pm

適当・な
adj.
suitable; proper; appropriate; adequate;
equivocal; irresponsible; noncommittal
0 x

kyukumber
White Belt

Postby kyukumber » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:34 pm

I've noticed that people tend to hit the heart button instead of posting replies on Language Logs. And I was wondering which people would prefer: getting "liked" or getting replies no matter how short. Some people like to keep their logs neat and tidy and I don't want to mess that up by dropping a few lines that have no substance. Some people may however find even just a few words encouraging.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:10 am

kyukumber wrote:I've noticed that people tend to hit the heart button instead of posting replies on Language Logs. And I was wondering which people would prefer: getting "liked" or getting replies no matter how short. Some people like to keep their logs neat and tidy and I don't want to mess that up by dropping a few lines that have no substance. Some people may however find even just a few words encouraging.

Well, I don't know if you've ever felt like commenting my log, but I like seeing what people have to say. I like when people have conversations on my log (even when I don't have anything to contribute). It makes me happy, and I can always learn something new. I also keep my replies to a minimum, and try to only reply when I have an update on my languages. Having people to reply to makes me a bit more motivated to do something worth reporting, so that I can reply more quickly.
2 x

kyukumber
White Belt

Postby kyukumber » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:42 pm

Thanks for your input, Elenia. I wasn't actually expecting a response for I'm certain nobody reads my "log", as I designed it so. I guess seeing all of us choose to belong to a community, none of us would actually mind interacting with others in such ways. It's just that for me it's often more pressuring than encouraging and I don't do too well with pressure.

I'm a little behind on my reading but I do enjoy reading your log and someday I'll have something to add, hopefully.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For some reason, I suddenly got curious about the Latvian language and started to look for some learning materials. And I came across this awfully familiar looking and sounding course. Then I scrolled down to see that it's published by Apgads Zvaigzne ABC. This is the Zvaigzne's XXX in Three Months series, or ABC's in Three Months series, whcih is more catchy I suppose. I kept looking and then found Easy Way to Latvian by Liga K. Streips. It seems to have a lot of audio though the text may be a little thin for the number of cassettes/CDs and it has good reviews. Then I looked at the price. 225 US dollars on Amazon.com and that's not including shipping. I guess I'm not learning Latvian. I am interested but not at that price. Maybe in the future when I have some money to throw around, but for now Wikipedia should do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found another service like 読書メーター: ブクログ

読書メーターとブクログ!どっちが使いやすい?

Which is better?

Goodreads.

Just stick with Goodreads.

Because Amazon owns it and everything else,
including Audible,
Abebooks
and our souls.

Wait. It even owns Twitch?

To conclude my business here for today:

Meet the Man Who Invents Languages for a Living (NPR)
0 x

kyukumber
White Belt

Postby kyukumber » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:22 pm

Listening to an English man go on about how the man is the victim and how he would like to kidnap the baby, the mother, the man, basically an entire family...

Does it get any better than this?
0 x

Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Re: All About SRS

Postby Rotasu » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:37 am

kyukumber wrote:Been digging up and re-reading old threads again.

Changing my way of learning vocab...

Thank you for posting this link!
0 x
Gone

Soffía
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Icelandic (B2 reading, B1 listening), Hebrew (basic)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1139

Postby Soffía » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:42 am

kyukumber wrote:Wondering if anyone has tried this free Icelandic audio course.

I have - what do you want to know about it?
0 x

Return to “Language logs”