Guyome's log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
guyome
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N)

Re: Guyome's log

Postby guyome » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:23 pm

Latin
Two more miracles from St. Áed's Life.
My plan was to post extracts from each Life but I'm not sure there really is a point in doing this. The bits I have posted so far should be enough to give potential readers a good idea of what these texts have to offer.

The second miracle has two examples of nominative absolutes (ambulans...sanctus, hoc faciens). It's not uncommon to find them you would expect ablative absolutes in these Irish texts, which led some scholars to explain their presence by an influence of Old Irish. I'd like to get my hands on William G. Most's The Syntax of the Vitae Sanctorum Hiberniae but can't find a copy online.
xix. Erant pessimi latrones in insula in medio stagni, qui multum regioni per circuitum nocebant. Et uolebat sanctus episcopus Edus eos inde expellere, et non potuit. Quibus dixit : 'stagnum istud erit mihi obediens.' Et sequenti nocte illud stagnum de suo loco in regionem Connacthorum exiuit, et stetit ibi in quodam campo ; et vocatur Loch na h-Aidche scotice, id est stagnum noctis, eo quod in nocte peruenit illuc. Sic enim quidam propheta nomine Becc dixit : 'Stagnum aque huc veniet nocte propter imperium sancti Edi episcopi.'

19. There was some really evil thieves in an island, in the middle of a lake. They were doing a lot of harm all around the area. And the holy bishop wanted to drive them away from there, and he wasn't able to. And he told them: "This lake will obey me." And the following night, that lake left its place and went to Connemara and stood there in some field. And it is called "Loch na h-Aidhche" in Gaelic, i.e. "Night lake", because it came there by night. So said a prophet named Becc: "A lake will come here by night on order saint Áed the bishop".
xxii. Ambulans in via sanctus senior Edus, occurrit ei quidam homo tristis dicens: 'Domine, decem uac[c]as habeo ; et ecce modo omnes vituli earum a luppis deuorati sunt, excepto vno.' Cui sanctus episcopus ait : 'Collige limum quod meo baculo adheret, et mixtum cum aqua asperge inde vac[c]as et vitulum viuum. Hoc faciens, diligent eum uacce ualde, et dabunt lac suum.' Et sic factum est. De quo homo ille cum suis multum gaudebant ; quia non de vitulis dolebant, set de matribus et lacte earum.

22. As the holy elder Áed was walking on the road, he encountered a man who was grieving: "Master, I have ten cows. And all of their calves have just been eaten by wolves, except one." The holy bishop told him: "Gather the mud that is sticking to my staff, mix it with water and sprinkle the cows and the calf that is alive. Doing this, the cows will cherish it greatly, and they will give their milk." And so it happened. The man and his people rejoiced a lot over this because they were not grieving on account of the calves but on account of the mothers and their milk.
7 x

Herodotean
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby Herodotean » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:06 pm

guyome wrote:My plan was to post extracts from each Life but I'm not sure there really is a point in doing this.
Thank you for the ones posted so far; they're quite interesting. Since I probably won't read them in full myself, I've enjoyed reading the snippets.
4 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:28 pm

Herodotean wrote:Thank you for the ones posted so far; they're quite interesting. Since I probably won't read them in full myself, I've enjoyed reading the snippets.

I just wanted to agree with this. I've enjoyed reading them, they've been fun to see, especially with regards to what other stuff I've heard/read about Irish saints (and what exists in popular lore to some extent)
2 x

guyome
Blue Belt

Postby guyome » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:40 am

Thanks, Herodotean and galaxyrocker! It's nice to know that there is some interest.

Latin
From the life of Ailbe of Emly (✝528). He was exposed after his birth and raised by a she-wolf, very much like Romulus and Remus. The Life offers more details than the previous ones about the saint's childhood, his formative years in Rome, etc.
Language-wise, it is the usual blend of simple Latin, nominative absolutes, suus for ejus, etc.

Failed murder attempt
xii. Vir quidam de familia sancti Hilarii causa odii et invidie pateram vini cum veneno porrexit sancto Albeo. Tunc beatus Albeus repletus gratia Sancti Spiritus et prophetie, labium patere deorsum inclinans, vinum in patera fixum stetit, et venenum in terram cecidit; statimque illud venenum in serpentem versum est ; et serpens ille videns virum qui sancto Albeo venenum dedit, currensque ad eum, intrauit in illum ; et statim mortuus est.
Videns sanctus Albeus illum mortuum esse, recordatus est dominici precepti quo dicitur: 'Redde bonum pro malo' ; orauit pro eo, et suscitauit eum ante omnes. Ille homo magna testimonia locutus est de sancto Albeo; et serpens ille reuersus in venenum est, ne plus noceret hominibus.

12. A man from the household of St. Hilary, prompted by hate and jealousy, presented a cup of wine mixed with poison to St. Ailbe. But St Ailbe, filled with the grace of the Holy Spirit and of prophetic vision, tilted the edge of the cup downwards. The wine remained in the cup and the poison fell on the ground. Immediately, the poison turned into a snake; and that snake, seeing the man who had given the poison to St. Ailbe, ran to him, went into him, and he died right away.
Upon seeing that he was dead, St. Ailbe remembered the commandement of the Lord "Repay good for evil"; he prayed for him and raised him up in front of every one. That man gave great evidence about St. Ailbe. And as to the snake, it was turned back into poison, lest it should harm people again.
A highway man and his posse suffer from a collective hallucination
xxxi. Quodam tempore ambulans sanctus Albeus in terra Hua Carpre* et Hua Conuill*, venit ad quasdam virgines, que eum hilariter receperunt, et obtulerunt ei suum locum, id est Acah Cumrech. Ille vero sanctimoniales nutrierunt quendam puerum, nomine Cummenus, filium Echdach ; cuius vita fuit contra Deum et contra sanctas virgines. Nam quando virilis fuit, recessit a virginibus, et effectus est latro nimis, et arrogans in sua milicia. Rogauerunt ergo sancte moniales sanctum Albeum ut predicaret verbum Dei illi, si potuisset conuertere eum de errore suo.
Predicans Albeus illi diuina verba, ille dixit : 'Dimitte me ire hodie quocunque voluero ; et cras ego faciam quod mihi dixeris.' Habens licentiam, ille exiuit illa die cum sociis suis ; et visum est illi quod inveniret suos inimicos in agro, et decollauit, ut putabant, capita eorum, [et] detulerunt secum.
Set cum reuersi essent, viderunt ligna in manibus suis, que visa sunt prius capita occisorum esse ; et similiter ipsa corpora ligna apparuerunt. Ille homo ait : 'Scio quod Deus fecit per sanctum Albeum, ut ambularent contra nos ligna in forma hominum ; et ideo que dicat mihi Albeus, faciam.' Et inclinauit se ad pedes Albei, et obtulit ei agrum suum, et dignus effectus est postea.

31. Once, as St. Ailbe was travelling in the land of Hua Carpre* and Hua Conuill*, he came to some nuns, who received him with joy and offered him their place, i.e. Acah Cumrech. These nuns had raised a boy named Cummenus, son of Echdach, whose life was against God and against the holy nuns. When he reached manhood, he left the nuns and very much became a robber, gathering [riches?] through his profession**. So the holy monials asked St. Ailbe to preach the word of God to him, if he could turn him back from his error.
Ailbe preached divine words to him and Cummenus said: "Today, let me go where I want; and tomorrow, I will do what you tell me." Ailbe allowed it and Cummenus went out with his companions that day. And it seemed to him that he came upon his ennemies in a field; and he beheaded (that's what they thought) their heads, and they brought them back with them.
But when they were back, they saw in their hands pieces of wood, which had before looked like heads of dead people. And, in the same way, the corpses showed themselves to be pieces of wood. That man said: "I know that God, through St. Ailbe, made it so that pieces of wood walked against us in the shape of men. And because of this, I will do what Albeus may say to me". And he bowed down to Ailbe's feet, and he offered him his field, and he lived honorably afterwards.
*Another manuscript has in regionibus Fithgente. This refers, I guess, to the Uí Fidgenti, "an early kingdom of northern Munster in Ireland", which latter split into the Uí Chairpre Áebda and the Uí Chonaill Gabra, the Hua Carpre and Hua Conuill of the Latin text.

**I'm not too sure how arrogans in sua milicia should be translated here.
8 x

Herodotean
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby Herodotean » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:05 pm

I would take et effectus est latro nimis, et arrogans in sua milicia as "and he became a terrible robber, and was arrogant in his bloodthirstiness" (understanding nimis as more or less an adjective). DMLBS (which you may well have checked) has some good possibilities for militia. My translation "bloodthirstiness" is perhaps a bit loose, but I think it captures the author's point that Commenus is not only warlike but excessively so.
4 x

guyome
Blue Belt

Postby guyome » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:48 am

Thanks, Herodotean!

I must admit I didn't check dictionaries for militia, my hesitation having more to do with arrogans meaning "appropriating" or "being haughty". Thanks for drawing the DMLBS to my attention! I knew about it but, for some reason, I never use it, my bad.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”