Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Re: Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Postby lingua » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:54 pm

German:
-Grammar: Hammer's German Grammar and Usage by Martin Durrell (.07%)
-Workbook: Practising German Grammar by Martin Durrell, etc
-Vocabulary: Der, Die, Das: The Secrets of German Gender by Constantin Vayenas (62%)
-Netflix: Nailed It! German S1E1-6 (206 mins)
-Reading/Recording: 8 mins of Ferien in Frankfurt by André Klein (61%)
-Recorded: 8 mins

I did Ch1 Ex 3-6 of the Practising German Grammar workbook which entailed trying to figure out the gender based on the guidelines. One negative for me is that there were a lot of words I didn't know which made it difficult to know what category they were in but I was able to use the suffix/prefix as clues. I got about 75% correct. Unfortunately, it would seem the Grammar book/workbook are expecting a higher level of vocabulary than I currently have. I am pleased that the workbook has a lot of exercises. It'll probably take me a few more days to get through the nouns.

I binge watched the Nailed It! German season on Netflix. There are three contestants who make some fancy cakes or cake pops which isn't anything I've ever seen before. There are two rounds. As much as I like food and cooking related books and shows I have little interest in baking in general and cakes specifically so I was a little bored overall. But I did find it easy to follow so I don't consider it a complete waste of time and will probably watch the French version too. I was a little surprised at all the errors the contestants made since they got instructions to follow.

I'm still progressing with my Portuguese and Italian books though I'm probably going to give up on Gastromania. I try to give a book a fair chance before giving up but I'm at 25% and still not sure where the author is going or what he's trying to say. He writes a lot but doesn't really say anything. At first I thought it was a big rant against the whole cooking show, gastronomy, foodie, chef scene, etc yet it isn't all negative. In any case, I like all that stuff so I'm not supportive of any of the negativity and I'm not enjoying the book much so it's probably time to move on to something else.
6 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:31 am

French:
-Netflix: Nailed It! France S1E1-6 (200 mins)
-Netflix: Dix pour cent S2E1-2 (103 mins)
-MHz Choice: Movie of the Week: Coup de coeur S1E1 (84 mins)
-MHz Choice: Movie of the Week: Frère & Soeur S1E3 (91 mins)

I watched the full six episodes of Nailed It! France. For some reason that I'm unable to explain I liked the French one more than the German one but that's not saying much. If either the French or German versions have another season I doubt I'd watch them. One season was more than enough. I watched the first two episodes of season two of Dix pour cent. This series is tolerable so I'll probably watch all four seasons as I'm able to pick up quite a bit.

MHz Choice has a new Movie of the Week for french. So far they are showing at least 13 movies through the end of March. I watched only the first and third as I could tell the second one would be far too ridiculous : After a visit to the Natural History Museum, Simon is convinced a prehistoric man has escaped from the Evolution Gallery and is meddling in his life as a modern male. No thanks.

The first movie Coup de coeur stars Pierre Arditi who plays the primary character in Le sang de la vigne. In this movie he's a surgeon at a private clinic who has a heart problem and needs surgery but he doesn't want anyone to know so he goes to the public hospital which has some issues. It's all very predictable. The other one Frère & Soeur is about a middle aged lawyer who leads a solitary life (by choice ... he's a bit uptight) and finds out he has a 15 year old half sister. He's not happy about the situation but his father left the girl his house and the lawyer would like to keep it so he has to deal with her. Equally predictable. I assume these are made for TV type movies. I had hoped they'd be something better. I'll continue to watch the ones I find tolerable.

Also, Lupin has been mentioned by several people in their logs and I wonder if anyone can tell me if this series has violence in it. I think I'd like the series but I can't stomach violence.

Italian:
-Podcast: Mangi come parli (66 mins)
-Podcast: Focus economia (117 mins)
-Reading/Recording: 100 lampi di genio by Luca Novelli (58%)
-Recorded: 40 mins

I am giving the podcast La bufala a tavola a break because the hostess was starting get on my nerves with her constant interruptions of her guests. I listened to two epsiodes of Mangi come parli. One was shorter than normal. Subjects were il gelato and polpette vs hamburger. I started a new one also by Radio 24 called Focus economia. I thought it might be more difficult because of the subject but it was not too bad at all. I understood most everything. The host is not that smooth in his speaking and I'm not sure if this is a new show because there are only epsiodes back to mid December. The topics are on various aspects of the economy. Part of one the episodes was on the education system. There is some discussion about how Covid is impacting the economy. The host has guests during the episode. Overall, I think Radio 24 is a good source for anyone at intermediate or advanced level of Italian.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Recitas Tradicionais Portuguesas by Guilherme Costa (67%)

I finished Hoje, o Chefe Sou Eu! by various chefs. This is a book of grand chefs who cook with their children. There are 15 chefs and they each make a main dish, a side and a dessert. At the end there is a biography of each chef. It's picture heavy with the chef's and their children cooking. It was relatively easy to read as I knew many of the ingredients and was familiar with a lot of the cooking instructions from the prior cookbook I read. I picked up some new words of ingredients and cooking terminology related to baking since the other cookbook didn't have any baking.

hojeochefesoueu.jpg

I previously said I wasn't doing anymore 6WCs but I changed my mind today and decided to focus on Portuguese for the next six weeks. I always track all my languages when I do the 6WC so my only goal is to have Portuguese be the one with the highest percentage out of the total. But outside of that I will continue to do whatever my mood feels like doing which seems to be consuming at the moment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:54 am

German:
-Recorded: 11 mins of Ferien in Frankfurt

Today I finished Ferien in Frankfurt by André Klein. I've both read each story a couple of times and recorded them all once while reading aloud. This is the second book in the series of readers. In this book Dino who is from Palermo visits his brother Alberto who works in a bank in Frankfurt. There are 10 chapters and each one is a very short story describing some experience Dino has. There are also some questions in German to test your comprehension and a list of vocabulary with English translations.

feireninfrankfurt.jpg

Piedmontese:
-Grammar: Il piemontese in tasca by Assimil (38%)

I did another conversation in the Assimil book on the topic of il tempo which included words for different parts of the day (morning, night, afternoon, etc), how to tell time, days of week and months of the year along with a number of example sentences.

Portuguese:
-rtp.pt: Manual de Instruções E3 (24 mins)
-PTLab: Living Dialogues #14; Consolidate A2 Dialog #2

I finished Recitas Tradicionais Portuguesas by Guilherme Costa. Although I bought this on amazon it's not really a book. It appears to be only a chapter of a book though there are no traces of a full book nor the author that I can find. It is subtited Capítula 1 - Açores and only 28 pages long. The recipes are all from the Azores. In the intro it states that some ingredients may be difficult to find as they exist only in the Azores. I encountered several words that I couldn't find via the usual sources I have for Portuguese via the Kindle.

recitas.jpg

During the 6WC I'm going to focus on reading Portuguese and give Italian a break. To that end, I've bought half dozen books from Amazon using information from https://www.wook.pt/ which has helpfully provided idioma (language) information of either Português or Português do Brasil so I was able to avoid purchasing any Brazilian books. Eventually I am OK with reading Português do Brasil but would prefer to avoid it for now.

On PTLab I did the Living Dialog #14 at the hotel which had conversations about getting a room, specifying the type, asking about the view, asking about AC, etc. I also did the second dialog to conosolidate A2 which was primarily a listening exercise. This one seemed easier than the first one because I knew more of the vocabulary.

Last I listened to an episode of Manual de Instruções where the chef was making several different fish dishes. These are on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFbhtjqTwCLi3uQTyKSdLyQ/videos but each dish has it's own video. The same thing occurred for the other show I watched https://www.youtube.com/user/IngredienteSecretoTV/videos. YouTube has mulitple years of the episodes while rtp.pt has only one year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:25 pm

Italian:
-Podcast: Mangi come parli (125 mins)

I listened to three episodes of Mangi come parli. The subjects covered were gli asparagi, le paste secche and fave e piselli. I understand the majority of what they say but in one of the episodes there was quite a bit of talking over each other and I still have a harder time with that because listening to constant talking for just over two hours takes a lot of concentration.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Vinhos & Petiscos by Vários chefes (9%)
-Reading: O mundo do bartender by Cardoso & Corrêa (2%)
-rtp.pt: Manual de Instruções E4 (24 mins)
-PTLab: Living Dialogues #15-16
-Wrote: 123 words

On PTLab I did the Living Dialogs #15 at the pharmacy where I learned how to fill a prescription, buy cough medicine, etc and #16 talking about the weather which I've already forgotten ... I remember something about the wind. I listened to episode #4 of Manual de Instruções where the chef made several different meat dishes and also had a butcher on the show with him to talk about cuts of meat. I learned pojadouro, alcatra & vazia. But I'm not sure exactly what they equate to in English because comparing Portuguese charts with English charts didn't work out too well. They divide the cow differently. They all looked like roasts to me just from different areas.

I started two books today (one on the Kindle and one on the iPad like usual). Petiscos are snacks (or tapas or appetizers). Each snack recipe in Vinhos & Petiscos is paired with a wine. This one is relatively easy to read since there aren't many new words. O mundo do bartender is more difficult and will probably be slow going at least in the beginning. I've not gotten far as I've had to look up quite a few words initially. I expect that to change when the cocktail recipes begin. So far I've only read the introduction.
6 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:46 pm

I love following your Portuguese studies, and I think using the cookbooks sounds great.

I have questions about wook.pt (an awesome site, by the way). Are you saying that all of the books on it are PT-PT? And then you use the ISBN to find them on amazon's USA site? Or do I misunderstand? Thanks.
1 x
Corrections are always welcome.

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:28 am

Elsa Maria wrote:I have questions about wook.pt (an awesome site, by the way). Are you saying that all of the books on it are PT-PT? And then you use the ISBN to find them on amazon's USA site? Or do I misunderstand? Thanks.

I was looking under the Portuguese eBooks for Gastronomia category and noticed most of of the books had the idioma: Português do Brasil so I only looked on Amazon for the ones that didn't. It doesn't seem to be there for non ebook section. I searched by title under Kindle books and bought the ones I found interesting and within my desired price point. Many of the books had ridiculously priced hard copies (but no digital version). Over $140 which is insane for books that cost $10 or less digitally. I have noticed many third party sellers of foreign books have unrealistic prices listed but never this high.

livrosPT.jpg

Piedmontese:
-Reading: Il piccolo Principe / Ël Cit Prinsi (10%)

I read the chapter II of Il piccolo Principe / Ël Cit Prinsi. This time around I read the Piedmontese first and then the Italian one paragraph at a time. I get the gist of the story with only Piedmontese but the Italian helps in understanding more detail.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Vinhos & Petiscos by Vários chefes (16%)
-Reading: O mundo do bartender by Cardoso & Corrêa (7%)
-rtp.pt: Manual de Instruções E5 (24 mins)
-PTLab: Living Dialogues #17-18 & Quick Wins
-Wrote: 154 words

On PTLab I did the Living Dialogs #17 at the clothing store where I learned about sizing, how to try on clothes, etc. I already knew this from doing the clothing vocabulary modules a couple months back. #18 was at the bank but it didn't follow the pattern of the others so there wasn't much there. Quick Wins were things like how to answer the phone, useful phrases for conversation (asking someone to slow down, repeat, etc), making requests (directions, help, etc), how to write a complaint email and 150 Q&A for everyday life. I listened to the entire video of the last one and then used a lot of the questions to do my writing today. I only answered them though. This completes the Living Dialogues course unless I find out there are more exercises coming for at the bank. Now I'll focus on the vocabulary building courses and the consolidation of A1/A2 which is still being added too. There will be 10 lessons total and only 5 are done but the 10th will be available on the 8th of March so I should be able to finish this by the end of the 6WC.

I watched episode #5 of Manual de Instruções where the chef grilled fish, chicken, vegetables and fruit. I read a bit in both books. The bartender book section was a short history of alcohol. It mentioned various prohibitions that occurred over the years and also the tough DUI laws in Brazil. Reading most of this section gave me a feeling of deja vu but it's probably because I've read this type of book in both Italian and English in the past. Some paragraphs I was able to understand without looking up any words but others required quite a few look-ups.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:50 am

Italian:

I listened to three episodes of Mangi come parli. The subjects covered were la mozzarella, l'olio & il caffé.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Vinhos & Petiscos by Vários chefes (22%)
-Reading: O mundo do bartender by Cardoso & Corrêa (9%)
-rtp.pt: Manual de Instruções E6 (24 mins)
-PTLab: Everyday vocabulary, Consolidate A2 Dialog #3, Skills Builder scripted dialogs

On PTLab I did an Everyday Vocabulary of the subject Burocracia. It covered vocabulary of things an expat might need such as passport, resident permit, registration, visa, etc. The Dialog #3 had no English translation like the first two did. This one was more difficult for me due to the subject. I also did two of the Skills Builder scripted Dialogs which are not part of the courses. They are mostly stand alone videos. One was a conversation between wait person and guest ordering food, asking questions about the dishes and paying. The other was a conversation at a bank with a customer trying to open a new bank account.

I watched episode #6 of Manual de Instruções which didn't appear to be a theme. The chef cooked several different dishes including octopus, fish, a rice dish and a dessert.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:56 pm

Italian:

I listened to three episodes of Mangi come parli. The subjects covered were le melanzane, fragole e frutti di bosco and il pesce crudo.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Vinhos & Petiscos by Vários chefes (49%)
-Reading: O mundo do bartender by Cardoso & Corrêa (11%)
-rtp.pt: Manual de Instruções E7 (25 mins)
-PTLab: Everyday vocabulary, Skills Builder short stories
-Wrote: 166 words

On PTLab I did an Everyday Vocabulary of the subject dinheiro (money) which I found more useful than burocracia. It covered the vocabulary of money related terminology such as credit card, coins, bills, receipt, the euro (including all coin/bills), etc. I followed up with two Skills Builder Short Stories: three biographies and a new book. The first were three stories in three tenses I, you and he/him. The latter was about a person trying to buy a book. I used the biographies as a template for my writing about myself, my friend and my spouse. The usual things about where we live, our work and what we do in our free time which required looking up a few words.

I watched episode #7 of Manual de Instruções which was about fried food: octopus, fish, pastry & vegetables. I continued with reading both books. The bartender book covered bar equipment and how to set up the bar for maximum efficiency.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:35 am

Italian:
-Podcast: Mangi come parli (353 mins)

I listened to a bunch of episodes of Mangi come parli. The subjects covered were la birra, zucchina e fiore di zucca, la cucina mondiale and the rest were il meglio di .... where the subject wasn't noted in the podcast and I didn't bother to keep track. Suffice to say that it involved food.

Piedmontese:
-Clozemaster
-Reading: Il piccolo Principe / Ël Cit Prinsi (14%)
-Grammar: Il piemontese in tasca by Assimil (41%)

I read chapter III of Il piccolo Principe / Ël Cit Prinsi. I know a lot of people have read this book in other languages but I don't much care for it. But I feel like it's useful so I'll continue on with it. I did another one of the conversations in the Assimil book on the topic of descrivere e vestirsi which was about describing people. This section was a little longer than the prior ones and had a lot of new vocabulary related to clothing, head/face/hair, feet/shoes, colors and adjectives related to traits of a person. I also did some Clozemaster for the first time in several weeks.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Vinhos & Petiscos by Vários chefes (49%)
-Reading: O mundo do bartender by Cardoso & Corrêa (15%)
-rtp.pt: Manual de Instruções E8-9 (50 mins)
-PTLab: Everyday vocabulary
-Podcast: Chef Kronback (17 mins)

On PTLab I did an Everyday Vocabulary module on the subject natureza which covered words like sea, lake, mountain, etc. Not too difficult since I knew a lot of them already.

I watched episode #8-9 of Manual de Instruções. The theme for #8 was on cooking techniques that use water such as poaching, sous vide and banho-maria and #9 was on stewing meat, poultry, vegetables and fruit. Since this is the second show I've watched with the same chef I've gotten used to his way of speaking and while I don't understand 100% of what he says I understand a lot. I decided I needed to hear some other voices. In addition to the TV shows rtp.pot has some podcasts and quite a bit for children. They have a whole slew of stuff under the zigzag label for children so I've subscribed to several of those podcasts one of which is Chef Kronback. Each episode is very short, only 2-5 minutes and most are only 2-3 minutes so I listened to four episodes two times through and could understand a lot of it. It's a bit silly because it's for kids. Subjects were kiwi, laranja, ananás and alface.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:53 am

German:
-Workbook: Practising German Grammar by Martin Durrell, etc (Ch1 Ex 6-7)
-Vocabulary: Der, Die, Das: The Secrets of German Gender by Constantin Vayenas (100%)
-Recorded: 15 mins of Karnval in Köln

I finished Der, Die, Das: The Secrets of German Gender. The last major chapter was on das and followed by a few short chapters covering words that had two genders and even a handful with three. Sometimes the gender difference is a regional difference and due to a foreign word that would be das but because it has another word with the same meaning or category it can also be der or die. There were also a few words with no gender and some information on words where the word has a different meaning based on the gender. I don't recall which was which but Appendix has a different gender if it's the body part vs the thing in a book. As I mentioned before I really like this book and found it useful. I can see reading it again when my vocabulary is bigger,

I did two exercises in the Practising German Grammar in Chapter 1 which is about nouns. Instead of using the Hammer book for helping me figure out the gender I used the Der, Die, Das book because it has a nice index and I could look up words by their suffix, prefix or category. I only got about 70% of them right. I spent a long time on this because I took the time to look up unknown words and make sure I understood each sentence well. I haven't done that much in the past but it will help to see the words in context.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Vinhos & Petiscos by Vários chefes (53%)
-Reading: O mundo do bartender by Cardoso & Corrêa (17%)
-rtp.pt: Manual de Instruções E10 (26 mins)
-PTLab: Everyday vocabulary
-Wrote: 170 words

On PTLab I did two Everyday Vocabulary modules. One on corpo (body parts) and one on rosto which covered all the parts on your face (ears, nose, eyes, cheekbones, etc). Since I knew a lot of the words it was not difficult. This complets all beginner vocabulary. Tomorrow I will start on the Verb Booster to review the three verb tenses I've learned.

I watched episode #10 of Manual de Instruções. The theme was confitado and the dishes were fish, duck, vegetables and a dessert. Confitado isn't in the dictionaries that I use but it seems to be the same as the french word confit which I thought was only related to meat and duck in particular. So it was surprising to me to see it with vegetables and dessert.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

Return to “Language logs”