Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Re: Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Postby lingua » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:01 pm

French:
-SRS/Clozemaster
-Assimil #14-15
-Kwiziq
-Wrote 302 words

German:
-SRS/Clozemaster
-Reading: Feiren in Frankfurt 64%
-Assimil #41-42
-Mhz Choice: Der Kommissar und das Meer S2E3-6 (353 mins)
-Wrote 491 words

Italian:
-Podcast: La bufala in tavola (244 mins)
-Film: Quando la notte (117 mins)
-Film: Caos calmo (107 mins)

I had earlier mentioned my all region player was acting up but I think it must have been the specific DVDs that were the problem because neither of the two movies I just watched had a problem. That's a relief. I expect to be watching more of them in the upcoming weeks. I read Quando la notte by Cristina Comencini several years ago so I found the film (directed by Comencini) less satisfying. A young woman is struggling with her two year old son who doesn't sleep so she rents an apartment in the mountains in hopes the child will do better there. She seems a bit of a neurotic mess. Her landlord Manfred is suspicious of women but predictably they form an attraction to each other. The scenery was gorgeous and the dialog easy to understand. Caos calmo stars Nanni Moretti as a grieving widow who becomes overprotective of his young daughter. He begs off work to hang out in the park across the street from his daughters school and forms some loose relationships/habits with the people of the neighborhood. I found the movie to be a bit disorganized and felt like parts were illogical though the dialog was easy to understand. This is based on a book by Sandro Veronesi which I suspect was better as books usually are. I would consider reading it.

I finished Vivere in zona by Aronne & Memo Romano. This was a 2020 updated version of the book which they wrote over 10 years ago. Aronne is a doctor and Memo is a chef. About a third of the book was about Barry Sears Zone Diet and the science behind it. The rest of the book covered the block concept (40-30-30) of carbs, protein and fat with many recipes that helpfully included the block breakdown per serving. After awhile the recipes all seemed the same so I was a little bored. I had already read La PaeloZona by Aronne Roman back in June so much of the information was redundant. It was a relatively fast read as I encountered very few unknown words. The odd ingredient that isn't commonly available in the US. This took me to 100% of the book portion of my Italian SC.

vivereinzona.jpg

With French, German and Portuguese I'll continue to do Assimil, Kwiziq, PT Lab and grammar when I feel like it but otherwise my focus will be on completing the SC and Output Challenges. Since my free time has diminished in the new year I'm easing off on my other goals at least until the spring.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:25 am

French:
-Speechling

Today I started doing French on Speechling and focused on beginner words/phrases. I thought my pronunciation was OK so tomorrow I'll see if the tutor agrees or not.

German:
-Speechling
-Vocabulary: Der, Die, Das: The Secrets of German Gender by Constantin Vayenas (12%)

Based on some feedback by others on the forum I bought a copy of Der, Die, Das and it arrived today so I started reading it this evening. I got through the long introduction and so far I like the book and am looking forward to continuing with it. Also a bit of Speechling.

Italian:
-Speechling
-Grammer: GP. Grammatica pratica della lingua italiana (esercizi supplementari): Ex #3
-Podcast: La bufala in tavola (417 mins)
-italki: one 1 hour lesson with my usual teacher
-Reading/Recording: 100 lampi di genio by Luca Novelli (25%)
-Recorded: 17 mins
-Wrote: 174 words

I'm mostly listening to La bufala in tavola the last couple of days. I'm currently working on episodes from back in 2018 and working my way to 2021 but yesterday I decided to see if they had any episodes on Covid that were newer and there were three so I listened to them out of order. They weren't actually about Covid itself so much as ways to boost your immune system in case you were to get Covid.

I completed the supplemental exercise #3 of the Grammatica practica book which covered regular verbs in the present tense. Like with the main book I found the exercises quite easy. Also did a small amount of recording. I've yet to start a new Italian book and may not since I've been reading (very slowly) in Portuguese and German in the last week instead.

Piedmontese:
-Grammar: Il piemontese in tasca by Assimil (27%)

I have completed all of the introduction and grammar concepts from the Assimil book. The next section is Conversations but it's a little different than the other Assimil courses as there are no exercises. The grammar portion was a quick overview and not nearly as thorough as La Lingua Piemontese but it was a good review.

Portuguese:
-SRS
-Reading: Cozinha Do Rio (34%)
-PTLab: Dialog #13
-Wrote: 135 words

I'm reading a cookbook of nothing but fish recipes so there is a lot of redundancy. I am hopeful by the end of the book I'll remember most of the cooking related verbs. So far the ingredients are easy to remember because I've already spent some time learning food vocabulary and also there isn't a lot of variation. The recipes all come from award winning restaurants in Lisbon. I did one PT Lab dialog that covered at the supermarket in depth.

The last three days I've just done whatever I felt like doing whenever I felt like it and found it more relaxing and enjoyable so I'll continue to do so for now.
6 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:49 am

French:
-Speechling
-Assimil #16
-Wrote: 164 words
-Podcast: News in Slow French (Beginner): Lesson 1

I am searching for podcasts for my non-Italian languages and found News in Slow French. I was expecting it to be a simple news show for beginners but instead it was a French Lesson. It was not what I expected so I don't think it's for me but I might try a couple more episodes to make sure.

German:
-Speechling
-Vocabulary: Der, Die, Das: The Secrets of German Gender by Constantin Vayenas (25%)
-Podcast: Coffee Break German S3E1 Tatort

I am trying out the Coffee Break German podcast. It seems each episode has a particular subject and the one I listened to was about the Tatort. It's a format similar to the French one except the "host" is a German learner (probably intermediate/advanced) and he is going over the sentences someone else says in German trying to figure out the intent and confirming words meaning or asking what something means. I liked this one better than the French one and will try a few more episodes.

In Der, Die, Das I started the chapter on the masculine Der. There are two "rules" that will help to determine the gender. Categories and Sounds. I got through the Categories and started with Sounds which is longer. Some of the categories are many animals, time of day, days of week, months, seasons, points on a compass, dirt and waste, heavenly bodies (planets/stars), etc. The exceptions were usually words ending in e which were instead feminine. The Sounds sections included many specific suffixes/prefixes and there were a handful of exceptions here too. This is a fantastic book.

Italian:
-Speechling
-Podcast: La bufala in tavola (354 mins)
-Podcast: Mangia come parli (172 mins)
-italki: one 1 hour lesson with my usual teacher
-Reading/Recording: 100 lampi di genio by Luca Novelli (29%)
-Recorded: 18 mins

I continued to mostly listen to La bufala in tavola. I also started another podcast by the same producer (Radio 24) called Mangia come parli. The first episode was a little more difficult at first because there are two hosts: journalist Pierluigi Pardo and chef Davide Oldani. They talk over each other as do their guests. Each episode has a theme and they talk to people who I don't know but perhaps Italians do about the theme. I listened to four episodes and the themes were: le frattaglie (offal), i frutti di mare, il cioccolato and la pizza. It feels a bit disjointed to me but by the fourth episode I was having an easier time.

Radio 24 has a lot of weekly or even daily shows with podcasts so it could be a good source for anyone at the intermediate level. I have subscribed to several others to try out including one on economics as that might be a better way for me to learn related vocabulary than reading.

Piedmontese:
-Grammar: Il piemontese in tasca by Assimil (31%)

I did the first conversation which was salutare e presentarsi. It was easy enough to understand.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Cozinha Do Rio (63%)

I am continuing to read Cozinha Do Rio and finding it easier and easier since I keep encountering the same words. I expect to finish it this week.
7 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:13 am

lingua wrote:French:
-Speechling
-Assimil #16
-Wrote: 164 words
-Podcast: News in Slow French (Beginner): Lesson 1

I am searching for podcasts for my non-Italian languages and found News in Slow French. I was expecting it to be a simple news show for beginners but instead it was a French Lesson. It was not what I expected so I don't think it's for me but I might try a couple more episodes to make sure.
I think TV5Monde's '7 jours sur la planete' is aimed at language learners.

http://www.tv5monde.com/emissions/

and RFI produce 'Le journal en francais facile'.

https://savoirs.rfi.fr/fr/apprendre-ens ... ais-facile

-----------
I like Arte's Le Dessous des cartes

https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/RC-014036 ... es-cartes/
4 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:30 pm

I appreciate your reviews of PT Lab. I just started European Portuguese, and I might try it later. The cookbook idea is a good one, and also sounds like a fun thing to do.
2 x
Corrections are always welcome.

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:47 pm

Elsa Maria wrote:I appreciate your reviews of PT Lab. I just started European Portuguese, and I might try it later. The cookbook idea is a good one, and also sounds like a fun thing to do.

https://www.portugueselab.com/ in case anyone needs it.
3 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:47 pm

German:
-Vocabulary: Der, Die, Das: The Secrets of German Gender by Constantin Vayenas (46%)
-Recorded 8 mins (Ferien in Frankfurt)

Have I yet mentioned how much I like Der, Die, Das? I completed the der section which continued on with the sounds covering more suffixes/prefixes but also one syllable words. It seems the more consonants at the beginning and end of a wrod the more likely it is to be masculine. One of the suffixes included was -bold and I noticed the word Lügenbold (inveterate liar). Out of curiosity I did a search of this word with a particular persons name to see if there were any hits in German publications and while there were it was more common to see some form of the verb lügen. Having seen these in context, I don't expect to forget them anytime soon.

Italian:
-Podcast: La bufala in tavola (177 mins)
-Reading: Gastromania by Gianfranco Marrone (10%)
-Reading/Recording: 100 lampi di genio by Luca Novelli (37%)
-Recorded: 34 mins

More La bufala in tavola. I've finally started a new book by Gianfranco Marrone called Gastromania. I tried to read this 4-5 years ago during my first SC (2016-17) but at the time it was too hard and I couldn't get into it enough to slog through it. This time around it's pretty easy.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Cozinha Do Rio by various chefs (100%)

I finished my first Portuguese book Cozinha Do Rio which is a shorter cookbook. There are 53 seafood recipes in it. Because they come from different Lisbon restaurants the directions are inconsistent. The instruction vocabulary is presented in different ways. I didn't find it too difficult after the first quarter or so because the recipes tended to have the same few ingredients. They use a lot of different fish that I'm not familiar with so I wasn't always sure what kind of fish it was but that didn't detract from the recipes. I've already picked another cookbook to read next that I bought a couple of months ago. It has some Portuguese chefs cooking with their kids so each chef has three recipes. It shouldn't be too difficult either.

cozinhadorio.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:15 am

French:
-Le sang de la vigne S5E5-7 (270 mins)

I watched the last three episodes of Le sang de la vigne.

German:
-Hammer's German Grammar and Usage by Martin Durrell

I've been looking for a better German Grammar book than the Schaum's and Practice Makes Perfect books. While they're fine for drills I always feel like their explanations are lacking and I don't particularly care for the way PMP introduces a lot of the concepts in the more general books. Hammer's is a Routledge Reference Grammar and I saw it recommended elsewhere so decided to try it. I started the first chapter which is on nouns and they mentioned many of the same things as the Der, Die, Das regarding how to guess the gender so they get a thumbs up from me so far. I also got the exercise book that goes with.

Italian:
-Podcast: La bufala in tavola (42 mins)
-Reading: Gastromania by Gianfranco Marrone (17%)
-Reading/Recording: 100 lampi di genio by Luca Novelli (42%)
-Recorded: 22 mins
-Wrote: 89 words
-DVD: Mia Madre (102 mins)

I think that I might have overstated how easy Gastromania is. It's easy now compared to how it was 4-5 years ago when I first tried to read it but gave up. I'm encountering more unknown words than normal which makes it a little slower to read. I'm hoping that will improve as I get further into it. It's a shorter book and I also bought another book by the same author several years ago so I'll probably read it next in hopes that it will use many of the same words.

For my writing I tried to write a letter to a publisher about missing pages in the Piemontese Vocabulario book I bought back in December. I was looking up a word and noticed it was missing 30 some pages so about half the P words and all Q words. I'm hoping that they will send me the missing pages. I missed my italk teacher this week but I intend to have her take a look at it to make sure I didn't make any stupid errors before I send it off.

Mia Madre stars Magherita Buy who plays a director of a film in process. It's directed by Nanni Moretti who is Buy's brother in the movie though his part is much smaller. The film is mostly about their mother who is dying. The film Buy is directing stars the American actor John Turturro who keeps flubbing his lines. Buy doesn't seem to have much of a relationship with anyone in this film. I didn't get the point of having an American actor in this film. His part is a bit obnoxious. I only found the film to be OK and not all that good though some of the actors did get awards for their roles.

Latin:
-SRS
-Clozemaster

Piedmontese:
-Grammar: Il piemontese in tasca by Assimil (33%)
-Reading: Il piccolo Principe / Ël Cit Prinsi (5%)

Reading Il piccolo Principe / Ël Cit Prinsi is a slow process since the Piedmontese isn't a literal translation of the Italian so some of the sentences are not even close to the Italian so I've had to look up a handful of words. I'm also focusing on the sentence structure. I did another conversation in the Assimil book which covered i rapporti umani. So father, mother, brother, sister and the like as well as emotions related to relationships.

Portuguese:
-SRS
-Reading: Hoje, o Chefe Sou Eu! by various chefs (42%)
-rtp.pt: Manual de Instruções E2 (24 mins)

I'm enjoying the current cookbook because I already know a good percentage of the words and only have to look up some ingredients or new cooking related verb.

So doing what I feel like doing with no plan seems to result in more Italian at the moment. I don't know how efficient this is but I am enjoying it a lot more.
7 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:59 am

German:
-Speechling
-Grammar: Hammer's German Grammar and Usage by Martin Durrell (.07%)
-Vocabulary: Der, Die, Das: The Secrets of German Gender by Constantin Vayenas (62%)
-Recorded: 9 mins of Ferienen in Frankfurt

I completed reading the die section which was similar to the masculine section going over the Categories and Sounds (prefix/suffix) for the feminine gender. I followed that up by finishing Chapter 1 of the Hammer's book on nouns. It covered gender, plurals and the declension of nouns to show case. There was also some discussion on how German has evolved and how some English loan words sometimes have two genders. As a foreign word it may be das but if it's a synonym of a German word it may take der or die too. I did one exercise from the companion book but by then I was tired of grammar. It's suggested you not treat the exercises as a test of your knowledge but as more of a supplement to enhance your understanding and work on it with the help of the grammar book. It's very helpful in that it tells you what section of the book to use with the exercises.

Italian:
-Podcast: La bufala in tavola (86 mins)
-Podcast: Mangi come parli (85 mins)
-Reading: Gastromania by Gianfranco Marrone (21%)
-Reading/Recording: 100 lampi di genio by Luca Novelli (48%)
-Recorded: 24 mins

I listened to two episodes of La bufala in tavola and two episodes of Mangi come parli. The topics for the latter were il pesce azzuro and il pranzo di pasqua. In spite of not listening to it for over a week this time around I had nearly full comprehension. There was a lot of laughing in one of the episodes and I wasn't sure if they were making fun of the guest or not. It seemed to me like they were. It also isn't clear to me if they know the guests before hand or not. Sometimes it seems they know them and are expecting them but there was today where it didn't seem to be the case and it's not like they provide much information. The also have callers that will ask a cooking related question 1-2 times throughout the episode. La bufala a tavola has a topic for each episode but it's more broad and the discussion isn't as distinctive. In fact I've been listening to so many episodes lately that I found myself starting to get bored with it so I'll probably intersperse some different podcasts on other topics.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:53 am

French:
-speechling
-kwiziq
-Netflix: Chef’s Table France (180 mins)
-Netflix: Dix pour cent S1E196 (309 mins)

I haven't looked at Neflix in a long time but I saw Dix pour cent mentioned in other logs so took a look and ended up binge watching the first season. It is OK though somewhat ridiculous at times. I also watched Chef's Table France which had only four episodes covering the chefs of four different Michelin starred restaurants. I am not familiar with any of the chefs. Most of the show is a conversation with the chef and some snippets of the way they source food, short interviews with other people, etc. The chefs in the first three episodes all spoke rather slowly so I found them relatively easy to follow. The fourth one talked a little faster so it was less easy. Outside of this I've done a bit of Speechling and Kwiziq.

I also noticed that Netflix has added more Italian though the total amount is low compared to French and German.

I've also kept up with my Italian and Portuguese reading and should finish the short Portuguese cookbook in a couple of days.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

Return to “Language logs”