Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Re: Lingua's 2020 Italian, German, Portuguese Log (+ dabbling in Latin, Sicilian & dialects)

Postby lingua » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:17 am

German:
Clozemaster: New: 430 & Reviewed: 898 (multiple choice)
Memrise: Review verb conjugations & vocabulary
MHz Choice: Der Tatortreiniger S1E1 (25 mins)
PMP: German Verb Tenses: 8.1-8.7

For PMP German Verb Tense, I completed unit eight on the imperative. Easy enough. Decided to watch Der Tatortreiniger (Crime Scene Cleaner). I tried to watch this one a few years ago and for whatever reason didn't stick with it. I decided to give it another chance and it's OK. Dry humor for sure.

Portuguese:
Clozemaster: New 60 & Reviewed 193 (text input)
MHz Choice: Filha da Lei S1E15 (36 mins)

Latin:
Memrise: Review vocabulary
Clozemaster: Reviewed: 822 (multiple choice)

Italian:
Reading: La paleoZona by Aronne Romano <-- 64%
Reading: Le cento migliori ricette di insalate by Luigi e Olga Tarentini Troiani <-- 39%
Reading: Lorenz e il segreto di re Salomone by Lucz Novelli <--33%
italki: two one hour lessons
il buongustare: 1.2 Viaggio fra gli anticchi ricettari italiani (B1)

I did another chapter from Il buongustare at the B1 level. It seemed like this B1 sub-chapter was slightly more difficult than the last one I did so iit might be that the four sub=chapters get progressively more difficult. I'm still doing a fare amount of reading and have three books going. I feel like I'm starting to have a breakthrough to C1 level of reading with the PaleoZona book. Sometimes when reading Italian I will understand but miss the nuances and now that is starting to change.

I fizzled out on the 6WC for German and dropped out of the 366 day challenge. I think I've reached a point where these are not helping me anymore. I also had a household issue that required a lot of my time recently so it put a dent in my free time. At this point I'm going back to doing PT and DE every other day so I can give each of them my full concentration on their allotted day. I probably should put one of them on hold to concentrate on the other but I don't want to so this is the best solution for now.

Goals for the upcoming week is to try to be more balanced and spend more time on output. Those bars in my sig won't fill themselves.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

lingua
Blue Belt

Re: Lingua's 2020 Italian, German, Portuguese Log (+ dabbling in Latin, Sicilian & dialects)

Postby lingua » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:50 am

Book #97: Le cento migliori ricette di Insalate by Luigi e Olga Tarentini Troisani
This book included 100 salad recipes which were divided by type. Types included pasta, rice, fish, meat, vegetable, bean, potato & mushroom, cheese and fruit. In my opinion most of the recipes were boring outside of a few that used fish.
insalate.jpg

Book #98: Lorenz e il segreto di re Salomone by Luca Novelli
I had never heard of Lorenz but he studied the behavior of animals and spent a good portion of his life living with geese.
lorenz.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:10 pm

Book #99: La PaleoZona by Aronne Romano. This is the Paleo take on the Zone diet by Barry Sears. Your proportions are still 40-30-30 but you get your carbs only from vegetables and fruits. This was a long book and covered a lot of ground. The author is a doctor who at one point worked with world class athletes and demonstrated that eating this way often increased their performance. He talked about the science behind paleo. A number of high profile doctors believe this way of eating is anti-inflammatory which is allegedly the primary cause of many of our modern ailments. On the other side are many dieticians that think the Mediterranean diet is the best diet but the author goes into great detail about why grains and legumes are not good for us.

He creates what he calls "blocks" which include the 40-30-30 percentages of protein, fat, carbs. So for a snack you have one block, two blocks for breakfast and three blocks for lunch & dinner. An example of a block is 25g prosciutto, 120g melon and 1 macadamia nut. Romano's brother is a chef so there was a full chapter of recipes included that contained the right proportions for a three block meal. Sometimes he'd have his patients start off with the zone diet to ease into it and then after a period of time have them switch to Paleo Zone.

This book contained 18 chapter and for many of them I didn't need to look up any words. In a few of them when he got into the chemistry I did need to look up a few words though often my dictionaries didn't have an English equivalent. I enjoyed this book. Very accessible read.

PaleoZona.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:13 pm

Finally! Book #100: In altre parole by Jhumpa Lahiri. Lahiri was born in London, grew up in Rhode Island and eventually learned Italian and moved her family to Roma. Her parents are from India and she grew up speaking imperfect accented Bengali. She doesn't read or write in Bengali. Her English is perfect. Her Italian is adequate and improving. The book is a collection of essays mostly about her journey learning Italian. She wrote it in Italian and it was translated to English by another person.

When I first started reading it I didn't care for the style. It felt simplistic as if it was a word for word translation from English. About 20% in it started to grow on me. She talks a lot about the difficulty of learning Italian. I could relate to a lot of her experiences. The problems with prepositions. The struggle of when to use the imperfetto and passato prossima in some cases. The words not coming to mind when speaking or in her case writing.

She'd read a book in Italian, underlying all of the unknown words or phrases. After she finished she'd spend time looking everything up and writing it in a notebook. She equated it to filling a basket to overflowing but at the end the basket was nearly empty because she was unable to remember most of the words.

At another point she talks about the wall because of her appearance versus others perceptions of her language skills. When she is in India they want to speak English with her because of her imperfect Bengali. When she is in the US she is sometimes seen as a foreigner in spite of her growing up there and speaking as a native. Several times it happens in Italy that she is seen as someone who learned Italian from her husband Alberto because he looks as if he could pass as an Italian. He is bilingual in Spanish/English but speaks a cursory accented Italian sometimes interspersed with Spanish. Sometimes she comes off as a tortured writer without a country.

InAltreParole.jpg

In reality, I've read more than 100 books in Italian. My goal was to read 100 actual books during the previous Super Challenge. I hadn't decided this until 2019 so I was only up to #14 at the end of 2018. By the end of 2019 I made it to #83. The revised goal was to finish by the end of April but my reading slowed down this year so I missed that deadline. I have no plans to count books anymore though I will still be doing a double Super Challenge for Italian this time around. I read nearly every day. I've made Italian my primary reading language. In the last two years I've only read a handful of English books.

What have I learned from all of this reading? Non-fiction is much easier than fiction. The tenses are often simpler. Reading many books on the same subject helps to retain new words. Reading fiction series works the same way as I get used to the authors style, preferred words and phrases. My vocabulary is vastly increased but it's unlikely to ever exceed my English vocabulary. I don't take tests anymore because I get bored with them halfway through so I can't do a more formal analysis from Dialang or the like.

I read faster but I don't know that my speed will increase much more because I prefer to sound the words out in my head rather than scan them as I do in English. I've tried scanning but find it less satisfying. Perhaps that will change in future years. Reading is more pleasurable when I can go for many pages without looking up words. Sometimes I'll look up a word to verify my understanding based on context. I'm right more often than not.

To increase my vocabulary I've branched out to different subjects in secondary interests rather than primary. I'll continue to do that. I sometimes read news articles in Italian and would like to do more of that this year since it's a different style of writing and I still encounter new vocabulary. I'm convinced that people just starting to read would be better served with non-fiction that is on a subject of primary interest. And then work from there. I wished I had done that previously.

Last year I reread the first two Italian books that I had ever read many years ago (Senza Sangue and Seta) which helped to see how far I've come. I plan to do that with a couple other books this year.
9 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:57 am

German:
Clozemaster: New: 300 & Reviewed: 682 (multiple choice)
Duo: 72 --> 75 crowns: adverbs, nature, genitive case
MHz Choice: Der Tatortreiniger S1E3-5 (79 mins)
MHz Choice: Tatort: Köln S1E4 (87 mins)
PMP: German Verb Tenses: 9.1-9.5

For PMP German Verb Tense, I completed unit nine on impersonal verbs. Although the explanations made sense I made a lot of errors on the exercises but I'm going to continue on with the book. My errors are mostly due to my lack of vocabulary and my laziness in looking up unknown words manually. The Kindle has spoiled me.

I ordered Assimil German With Ease a couple of weeks ago from Schoenhof's Foreign Books because it was on sale for a reasonable price. Unfortunately, it's on back order so I probably won't get it for another week or two.

Portuguese:
Clozemaster: New 300 & Reviewed 682 (text input)
MHz Choice: Filha da Lei S1E16-17 (75 mins)
PTLab: Every Day Vocabulary: Legumes part 2
PTLab: Lesson 19

The second part of PTLab Legumes (vegetables) came out recently which I was happy about since I like the food category. Lesson 19 was on how long / since when an event has been going on using há & desde. I was a little confused by this concept and will need to review it again.

Latin:
Memrise: Review vocabulary
Clozemaster: Reviewed: 102 (text input)

I'm very slow with using text input for Latin so I find it necessary to do a little bit everyday to stay reasonably caught up.

I created a Memrise course a long time ago using Wheelock's website. It follows the book which I have but haven't looked at it recently. Since I've caught up with all my reviews I'm now able to add new chapters. There are at least 40 of them and I'm only up to 11. I am mostly using it because I like the crisp voice of the guy who pronounces the words.

French:
MHz Choice: Le sang de la vigne S1E2-4 (275 mins)

I have no immediate plans to take up French. That would be crazy at this point. However, MHz Choice has this series and I like it. I watched the first episode a few months ago. It's a typical mystery but takes place in vineyards. The primary character is a private detective/disbarred lawyer. Between the subject matter and my romance language experience I find that I can pick up the dialog about as well as I do with Portuguese.

Italian:
Reading: Lavoisier e il mistero del Quinto Elemento by Luca Novelli <--55%
Reading: Aggiungi un Pesto a tavola by Michele Cogni <--7%
MHz Choice: Imma Tataranni Sostituto Procuratore S1E1-2 (207 mins)
MHz Choice: Montalbano: Un diaro del ‘43 (111 mins)

Lavoisier is the last Novelli ebook I can get via Amazon. There are a few others in the series but they are only in hard copy and mostly cost more than I'm willing to pay. I've been back in the mode where I start numerous books and don't last past a few pages but finally I decided on a book on pesto. I think the problem is that I need something lighter for my nighttime reading because of tiredness. I've started up with watching Italian film again. I'm taking a break from my italki sessions and will resume in a couple of weeks.
2 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:36 am

lingua wrote:French:
MHz Choice: Le sang de la vigne S1E2-4 (275 mins)

I have no immediate plans to take up French. That would be crazy at this point. However, MHz Choice has this series and I like it. I watched the first episode a few months ago. It's a typical mystery but takes place in vineyards. The primary character is a private detective/disbarred lawyer. Between the subject matter and my romance language experience I find that I can pick up the dialog about as well as I do with Portuguese.
This is a adaptation from a book series by a writing partnership, Alaux and Balen.
1 x

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:44 pm

I've finished two more Italian books.

Aggiungi un Pesto a tavola by Michele Cogni. The title says it all. Sections included the history of pesto, detailed information on the primary ingredients, recipes using pesto, pesto variation recipes, exotic pesto recipes and finally a silly little story involving pesto. One of the recipes used sage instead of basil which sounds especially tasty so I see myself making it very soon. The exotic section wasn't really all that exotic. For example: Hawaiian version using macademia nuts or Mexican version using coriander and a bit of hot pepper. If you like pesto, this is a useful book.

pesto.jpg

Lavoisier e il mistero del Quinto Elemento by Luca Novelli. Lavoisier was a French chemist who focused on combustion. He also worked in finance for the government and unfortunately during turbulent times got the guillotine. He was exonerated about a year later but a little too late for him.

lavoisier.jpeg

Amazon has recently acquired two more books in the series (I fratelli Lumière and Hawking) so I will be getting them soon. I'm hopeful they'll eventually get all of them. I especially want to read the one on Tesla.
3 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:54 am

German:
Clozemaster: New: 120 & Reviewed: 364 (multiple choice)
MHz Choice: Kommíssarín Lucas S1E3-4 (176 mins)
PMP: German Verb Tenses: 10.1-10.5, 11.1-11.6, 12.1

I completed unit 10 of PMP German Verb Tense, which covered the prior nine chapters (part I of the book). I got about 75% correct which wasn't too bad considering how many endings I had to remember. Unit 11 covered the future tense and I found it relatively easy. Unit 12 is the past tense and quite long so I have a ways to go to complete it. Outside of that I've watched a couple of episodes of Kommíssarín Lucas.

Portuguese:
Clozemaster: New 180 & Reviewed 311 (text input)
MHz Choice: Filha da Lei S1E18-20 (75 mins)

I watched the final episodes of Filha da Lei and was surprised by what happened during the last two episodes. I think I'll miss this series. It is an excellent example of my progression in Portuguese as I could barely make out any words during the first episode and by the last I could understand many complete sentences. I need to find something else to watch or listen to.

Latin:
Clozemaster: Reviewed: 141 (text input)

French:
MHz Choice: Le sang de la vigne S2E1-3 (273 mins)
MHz Choice: Crime en aveyron & Les blessures de l’ile (S1E1-2)

Still watching Le sang de la vigne and also added another series where each episode is in a different place with a different cast.

Italian:
Reading: Scrivere bene (o quasi) by Elisabetta Perini <-- 22
MHz Choice: Imma Tataranni Sostituto Procuratore S1E3-4 (217 mins)
Easy Reader: Part 1 Ex1-4
Wrote: 131 words

I've started using an Easy Reader that was written by an Italian professor in the US. It contains three parts and the first is a story about an American family living in Roma, the second part includes cultural related content and the last part contains three contemporary Italian authors. The chapters are structured with some kind of writing (story, essay, etc), a set of questions that must be answered and some free form writing prompts. The level is beginner so it's easy to understand but the main reason I'm using it is because of the exercises with writing prompts. I'm planning to use the same prompts to write in PT & DE once I complete the IT portion. The book is mostly written in Italian outside of some of the instructions and mini glossaries in some chapters.

As of Friday I've decided to stop watching news completely since it causes me a great deal of distress/stress due to the lack of leadership in my country and state. There is little that I can do about any of this so I'm hoping the news pause will allow me to concentrate better in the upcoming weeks. I feel like my progress has slowed down in recent months as I spend most of my language time reading or watching film when I need to do more output and grammar study.
3 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:47 am

It has been my personal policy to never watch or listen to the news for about 10 years. Good news is almost never newsworthy, so it is invariably bad news. I have felt much better for the break. Oddly the covid thing made me start watching the news, and reaffirmed in my head that watching the news or reading it is just a bad idea.

Good luck with your break, it is a difficult habit to break.
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:46 am

German:
Clozemaster: New: 140 & Reviewed: 298 (multiple choice)
MHz Choice: Kommíssarín Lucas S1E5-7 (261 mins)
MHz Choice: Der Tatortreiniger S1E6 (26 mins)
PMP: German Verb Tenses: 12.2-12.5

I continued with unit 12 of PMP which covered the past tense. It's not difficult to do but there is so much to remember and I only retain about half of the various endings. Hopefully over time it will get easier. I also did about 10 minutes a day of Memrise.

I checked on my back ordered Assimil book as it didn't arrive within three weeks as expected. I'm told they will take delivery of it tomorrow and will ship to me the next day so I hope it will be here by the weekend.

Portuguese:
Clozemaster: New 170 & Reviewed 390 (text input)
PTLab: Lesson 20

Lesson 20 of PTLab covered what has been happening lately using andar + infinitive. This was more straightforward than the previous lesson. This completes the A1 portion. I will now do all of the exercises, dialogs, reading, etc that is created for the beginner level aka as A1. Once I've done that I'll move on to A2. Outside of that I've done Memrise for about 10 minutes per day.

I found a site which I posted under the Portuguese resources that has links to a bunch of TV shows. Many of them have downloadable transcripts. There were two cooking series that I will start with.

Latin:
Clozemaster: Reviewed: 162 (text input)

I even did Memrise one day this past week. Not much to review at this point so I need to start working on new words again.

French:
MHz Choice: Le sang de la vigne S2E4 (92 mins)

Italian:
Reading: Scrivere bene (o quasi) by Elisabetta Perini <-- 41%
Reading: I fratelli Lumière e la straordinaria invenzione del cinema by Luca Novelli <-- 46%
MHz Choice: Imma Tataranni Sostituto Procuratore S1E5 (111 mins)
MHz Choice: Una pallottola nel cuore S3E1 (94 mins)
Podcast: DiWineTaste (27 mins(
Easy Reader: Part 1 Ex5
Wrote: 230 words
italki: one 60 minute session

I did a little Speechling this week for the first time in months. I also even wrote a couple of times. I've changed my output challenge for Italian to be double but cover the same period as the SC in an attempt to balance everything better.

I'm quite enjoying the Scrivere bene book. It covers punctuation usage, handling foreign words, problem words, etc. It's written in an easy to read way. I rarely have to look up any words. I've just realized I've only read one fiction book this year (Camilleri back in February). I need to remedy this. I bought the newest Rocco Schiavone book when it came out back in January but wanted to wait a while before reading it. I'll probably binge watch the Rocco episodes prior to starting so as to refresh my memory about how it left off in the last book.
2 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

Return to “Language logs”