Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Re: Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Postby lingua » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:00 pm

French:
-MHz Choice: Magellan S1E1 (91mins)

Magellan is one of a handful of MHz Choice shows that are NY Times recommended. I thought it was decent.

Italian:
-Reading: Riti di morti by Alicia Giménez-Bartlett (translated by Maria Nicola) (77%)
-Grammer: GP. Grammatica pratica della lingua italiana by Marco Mezzadri (#12)
-Grammer: GP. ... esercizi supplementari by Mezzadri & Pederzani (#12)
-italki tutor: two sessions for a total of 133 mins

I have only managed one more chapter in the GP books. Aggettivi e pronomi dimostrativi. More specifically the various forms of questo and quello. I had kind of forgotten about this. These aren't words I use much in speaking and when reading the meaning is apparent. It took me forever to do all of the exercises because I kept having doubts. In the end I got nearly all of them correct.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Sabe o que anda a comer? by Susete Estrela (71%)
-Textbook: Gramática Ativa 1 - unidades 41
-Textbook: Cozinhar em Português (Bola de Carne)
-PTLab: unit #21
-writing: 29 words :(

Much like with Italian the Portuguese grammar study has slowed down. I only did unit 40 in the Gramática Ativa 1 book. This covered indefinidos variáveis: algum, nenhum, muito, pouco, tanto, todo, outro and indefinidos invariáveis: alguém, ninguém, tudo, nada. Up until now not knowing a word meaning here and there didn't cause any problems with doing the exercises because the context was clear. However, with these it matters so I had to spend more time looking some words up and making sure I understood everything well. I got more wrong here than I would have liked so I'll be reviewing again at some point. In PT Lab I only did one unit which covered the right thing to do using the verb dever + infinitive. In other words things you should or shouldn't do like litter, break the law, get to work on time, exercise, etc.

I did another recipe in Cozinhar em Português which was Bola de Carne. This is a pastry with several types of meat inside and seems to be a flexible dish as I saw many versions that looked nothing like the photo in the book which is what is below. The exercises included some utensil/dishware matching, describing what they were used for, rewriting the recipe from the imperative to indicative, etc.

boladecarne.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:09 pm

French:
-MHz Choice: Magellan S1E2 (90mins)

Italian:
-Reading: Il commissario Bordelli by Marco Vichi (30%)
-Grammer: GP. Grammatica pratica della lingua italiana by Marco Mezzadri (#13)
-Grammer: GP. ... esercizi supplementari by Mezzadri & Pederzani (#13)
-MHz Choice: Nero Wolf S1E1 (95 mins)
-italki tutor: one 63 minute session
-Reading/Recording: Il dizionario del pasticcere – Tutto, dalla A all Z (79%)

I did another chapter in the GP books. Aggettivi e pronomi possessivi. That is mio/tuo/suo/nostro/vostro/loro and the respective feminine and plural forms. Not sure if I've mentioned it before but these GP books have one dot and two dot exercises. The one dots are easy and straight forward while the two dot ones can be a little trickier though in this case not difficult. I got a few wrong because I wasn't sure of the gender.

I've started a new detective book by Marco Vichi. I wasn't familiar with the Bordelli series but I happened to be reading an article about Stephen Sartarelli who does the English translation of Montalbano. He also does them for Bordelli so I decided to give the series a try. I find the vocabulary a little easier than in some novels.

Nero Wolf is one of my favorite American series. I've read all of the books multiple times over the years. I have already seen this series on MHz Choice but wanted to give them another viewing since enough time has passed.

I finished Riti di morti by Alicia Giménez-Bartlett (translated by Maria Nicola). First in the Petra Delicado series. There's a serial rapist (who brands the women with a flower) on the loose. Delicado and her vice Garzòn track down a suspect but he escapes and later ends up dead. Then there's a second murder. There's a few twists along the way. I decided to read this because I'd read a few of the short stories. Delicado is an ex-lawyer turned cop. She's excessively introspective and the book spends too much time on her thoughts, her relationship with her two ex-husbands and a little less on the case. This wasn't apparent in the short stories. I'll probably read the next book in the series but if it continues with the same excess I probably won't continue.

ritidimorti.jpg

Portuguese:
-Reading: Tubarões Voadores by João Pedro Santos Correia (4%)
-Reading: Adultos by Marian Keyes (translated by Caroline Horta) (2%)
-Textbook: Cozinhar em Português (Bola de Carne)
-Netflix: Glória S1E1-2 (88 mins)
-PTLab: unit #22-23
-Clozemaster: 30 mins
-Shadowing: O baú das coisas perdidas (28 mins)
-Wrote: 164 words

I've had to put Gramática Ativa 1 aside for a bit as it's getting more difficult. Instead I did a couple of units in PTLab: #22 covered identifying what there is using the verb haver and existir. #23 covered moving using a, para and de. That is from/to something or somewhere.

Outside of that I did some shadowing, a tiny bit of writing, a little Clozemaster and watched the first two episodes of Glória a new production from Portugal based on the Cold War during the 60s in the village of Glória do Ribatejo. It's a spy story. I think it's well done and I find the Portuguese easier to understand than in other shows. But I don't enjoy the theme so I'm not sure if I'll continue with it or not. But I'd recommend it if this is your preferred genre.

I also did the reading and exercises of a couple more recipes in Cozinhar em Português (Pasta de Atum (tuna salad) & Croquetes).

In another thread @iguanamon mentioned that he has read chick lit (I think because of more dialog) so I've decided to read Adultos (Grown ups in English) by Irish writer Marian Keyes. I've read her Walsh sister series in the past and thought they were decent. This isn't a genre that I read very often ... mostly when looking for something light and mindless while on vacation. I ended up buying the English version too so I can minimize dictionary look-ups. I'll read one chapter of Portuguese followed by English. The English version is a little over 500 pages while the Portuguese is more than 700. I also started another non-fiction Portuguese book about sharks. I'll probably be alternating them depending on mood. I still find non-fiction much easier than fiction in Portuguese and thought reading this lighter fiction book could get me over the hump.

Book #18: Sabe o que anda a comer? by Susete Estrela. The author is a food engineer and an expert in food safety. The book covers food safety in packaging, in the factory, at home, when dining out, etc. She also covers the various types of dangers with food (virus, bacteria, parasites, pesticides). She gave some pointers on how to look for signs that a restaurant/food truck/festival food booth doesn't practice proper food hygiene. The author is Portuguese but often talked about the European or Portuguese agencies responsible for food safety standards. There wasn't much new here for me though when reading this type of information I come away feeling like eating is such a dangerous activity. :o

sabecomer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lingua on Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:16 am

lingua wrote:...@iguanamon mentioned that he has read chick lit (I think because of more dialog)...

É verdade! There is more dialog and also more modern, more everyday language, and more humor. It isn't highbrow and I make no apologies for reading and enjoying it! My favorite chick-lit author in translation is Sophie Kinsella, followed by Meg Cabot. In original Portuguese, I adore Carina Rissi (Brazil). Carina was inspired by Jane Austen, who is one of my favorite authors. Ms. Austen was quite ahead of her time. Her books translate well. Thanks for your recommendation of Marian Keyes. I haven't read her yet.
3 x

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:02 pm

@iguanamon I would consider Jojo Moyes as a decent chick lit writer.

Italian:
-Reading: Il commissario Bordelli by Marco Vichi (45%)
-Grammer: GP. Grammatica pratica della lingua italiana by Marco Mezzadri (#14)
-Grammer: GP. ... esercizi supplementari by Mezzadri & Pederzani (#14)
-italki tutor: one 67 minute session
-Reading/Recording: Il dizionario del pasticcere – Tutto, dalla A all Z (84%)

Chapter 14 of the GP books were on the use of vorrei and potrei which is the conditional in the present tense of the verbs volere and potere. This is not in any way difficult so I'm surprised the author thought it needed to have its own chapter.

Outside of that I've continued reading the Vichi book, had one more tutoring session and did 26 minutes of recording while reading the pasticcere book. I'd like to get that book completed soon so I can return to the three latest Luca Novelli books that Amazon finally got over the last few months. They are about Tesla, Dante and Marco Polo. I believe that will complete the series.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Tubarões Voadores by João Pedro Santos Correia (6%)
-Reading: Adultos by Marian Keyes (translated by Caroline Horta) (12%)
-Textbook: Cozinhar em Português (Salada de Feijão-Frade)
-Textbook: Gramática Ativa 1 (unit 26-27)
-rtp.pt: O Sábio E30-31 (79 mins)
-youtube: Ingrediente Secreto TV E42 (12 mins)
-PTLab: units #24-28
-Clozemaster
-Memrise: review verb conjugations
-Shadowing: O baú das coisas perdidas (14 mins)
-Wrote: 74 words

Reviewed PTLab units 24-28 which covered giving orders and directions (imperative), just finished doing something using the verb acabar + de + infinitive, being able to do something using poder + infinitive, placing objects in space (placement prepositions) and direct complement pronouns. Most of this was easy and I remembered everything except all of the various forms of the direct complement pronouns. When encountering them while reading I know what they refer to but I didn't remember the rules for the variations based on the conjugated verb ending.

I had forgotten we covered the conjugation of imperative in the A2 section of PTLab so I was able to go back and do a couple of chapters in Gramática Ativa 1 on the imperative. Ch 26 was on the regular form of the imperative in the affirmative and Ch 27 was on the regular form in the negative and the irregular form in both affirmative and negative. Not too difficult. Like so much of language learning just need to remember all of this stuff.

Sometimes I think knowing Italian has made me think I know Portuguese better than I really do because so many grammar concepts are similar. So while it's a great benefit in reading it's less so in trying to produce.

I was using O baú das coisas perdidas as my shadowing material because it includes an English translation but the story isn't one I can deal with listening to multiple times so I am looking at using Ingrediente Secreto TV instead though I'll have to create my own English. I watched this show on rtp.pt about a year ago but it's also on youtube where they separated each video to be one recipe. The recipes are also in the cookbook (Na Cozinha com Henrique Sá Pessoa) by the chef on the show that I read last spring so I can use that to help me with the English since I know the food/cooking vocabulary pretty well. I listened to the first recipe in the cookbook three times and I think it'll work. I don't need to watch the video. I can just listen.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:25 pm

Italian:
-Reading: Regalo di Natale by De Giovanni, Giménez-Bartlett, James, Malvaldi, Manzini, Recami (5%)
-memrise: vocabulary review

I finished Il commissario Bordelli by Marco Vichi. This was the first of 12 in the Bordelli series. It was a murder mystery. Bordelli is convinced of who did it early in the book so spends most of the time looking for proof. But this is a strange book because only about half is spent on the case. A lot of it is Bordelli and his meandering melancholic thoughts which frequently include flashbacks to WW2. I dislike reading or watching anything war related so this part of the book wasn't enjoyable but the rest of it liked. I'll read the second book in the series and then decide if I'll continue or not. Outside of that Bordelli smokes too much and is constantly bargaining with himself to cut down without success. He often can't sleep for various reasons including the flashbacks, August heat and mosquitoes. He's close friends with an ex-prostitute and sometimes associates with ex-cons (thieves not murderers). The method of murder was not typical and if not for one small mistake the guilty party would have gotten away with it.

bordelli.jpg

Portuguese:
-Reading: Tubarões Voadores by João Pedro Santos Correia (8%)
-Reading: Adultos by Marian Keyes (translated by Caroline Horta) (13%)
-Textbook: Cozinhar em Português (nothing)
-Textbook: Gramática Ativa 1 (nothing)
-PTLab: units #29-31
-Podcast: 1001 Razões para gostar de Portugal (64 mins)
-Clozemaster
-Memrise: verb conjugations

Reviewed PTLab units 29-31 which covered comparatives/superlatives, indirect complement pronouns and the impersonal -se. I will look in the Gramática Ativa book to see if there are any chapters with these subjects and then do them next.

I've spent a fare amount of time setting up my courses for verb conjugation. I have six of them three for regular in the present, pps (simple past) and imperfect. And again those three tenses for irregular verbs. Its already helping me a lot with the regular conjugations. They've become more automatic. Some of the irregular are still difficult to remember but others are easier. Within the irregular there are sometimes subsets of patterns that can help to remember. I could have created one big verb course but I find it easier to isolate things so that if I want to only work with one type of conjugation I don't have to worry about other reviews coming up. PTLab has a bunch of docs regarding the top 100 regular verbs and the top irregular verbs so I'm using those to decide which verbs to include.

Outside of that I listened to a podcast where each session was only 3-6 mins and some "shorties" from https://www.practiceportuguese.com/shorties where each shortie includes a transcription, vocabulary list and expressions list. Only the latter two are available to non-payers so I'm thinking to subscribe for a short time so I can go through them with the transcription. I seem to be gravitating towards improving my listening skills at the moment.
6 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:16 pm

Not much progress over the last couple of weeks because I was vacationing for half of it. I usually read a lot on vacation but this time I didn't outside of time spent flying. We were more active than normal so I was way too tired in the evening to even bother. Once I finish my current Italian book I'll be devoting the rest of the month (at least on the reading side) to finishing my two Portuguese books both of which are on the longer side.

Italian:
-Reading: Regalo di Natale by De Giovanni, Giménez-Bartlett, James, Malvaldi, Manzini, Recami (78%)
-italki tutor: one 66 minute session
-memrise: vocabulary review
-Reading/Recording: Il dizionario del pasticcere – Tutto, dalla A all Z (100%)

I finally finished my recording of Il dizionario del pasticcere – Tutto, dalla A all Z. The title is self-explanatory. It was full of different types of pastries, breads, cakes, etc. Most were from various regions of Italy but there were also some from other countries. Additionally, it included common ingredients used in these items. It was a tedious read but served my purposes. According to my spreadsheet it took me 554 minutes of recording to get through. I obviously talk much slower than I read. For 2022 I'm going to attempt to increase my reading aloud speed so I can actually record 3000 minutes. My total for the year was only 884.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Tubarões Voadores by João Pedro Santos Correia (11%)
-Reading: Adultos by Marian Keyes (translated by Caroline Horta) (17%)
-PTLab: lessons 32-35

Reviewed PTLab units 32-35 which covered possessives, having all/many/a few/none (indefinites), going out with someone (preposition + personal pronoun) and talking about past events (pps - irregular verbs). I'll be glad when I'm done with this. Only six more lessons to go. I'm not going to review the lessons of B1-B2 in any kind of order but instead review the ones that match Gramática Ativa 1 which I'd like to complete by the end of the year.

I continue to spend a lot of time with the verb conjugations. I seem to have a great deal of interference from Italian in that Italian end changes come to mind before Portuguese ones. At this point I believe this is a good use of my time. I have the regular verbs down but I still struggle with some of the irregular verbs. Someone here mentioned Linguno for French so I took a look to see if they had Portuguese and they did. I've been playing with it and I like that you can customize the conjugations you want. I've been using it for the irregular verbs at different times than I do memrise. Since many irregular verbs are commonly used they are important to know. I recognize them in reading but recall is totally different.
3 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:48 pm

Italian:
-Mhz Choice: La vita promessa S1E1-2 (204 mins)
-italki tutor: two sessions for a total of 129 minutes

La vita promessa is a series about a Sicilian family that moves to NYC. It's all very predictable. The lead is Luisa Ranieri who is the wife of Luca Zingaretti (aka Montalbano).

I finished reading Regalo di Natale. This one had six short stories:

La principessa Umberta by Alicia Giménez-Barttlet (translated by Maria Nicola)
    Un giorno di Settembre a Natale by Maurizio de Giovanni
    Scambio di regali nella casa di ringhiera by Francesco Recami
    Buon Natale, Rocco! by Antonio Manzini
    Arriva Natale eccetera eccetera by Bill James (translated by Alfonso Geraci)
    La tombola dei troiai by Marco Malvaldi

I've read all but one of the authors before in this series of stories put out by the Palermo publisher Sellerio. Bill James was new to me. He's a Welsh author who writes under several pseudonyms. Real name is James Tucker ... originally a reporter. This short story had characters from his Harpur & Iles series not that I ever heard of them before. I was ambivalent about the story and writing and would probably need to read one in English to determine whether or not I'd like the series or not. I wouldn't seek out a book in translation though. Otherwise I had the usual series characters for all but one of the books. I've pretty much forgotten all the plots by now since I took so long to get through it.

natale.jpg

It feels a little strange to not have read any Italian for over a week now. That is a first for me in several years. I'll start something new after I finish my two Portuguese books.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Tubarões Voadores by João Pedro Santos Correia (35%)
-Reading: Adultos by Marian Keyes (translated by Caroline Horta) (28%)
-PTLab: lessons 36-41 Done!

Reviewed PTLab units 36-41 which covered pps (simple past), expressing an opinion using the verbs achar/pensar/acreditar, relative sentences, imperfeito (talking about recurrent and longer events in the past), haver + de + infinitive and finally more imperfeito (talking about the past and differences between pps & imperfeito). I'm glad to be done with my A1-A2 review. I feel like it was a worthwhile endeavor but I was getting a little tired of it at the end. Overall my grammar knowledge gaps are minor and easily remedied by doing some more exercises so now I'll return to Gramática Ativa 1 to work on it.

Now that I've completed the review I'm planning to add German back into the mix. This time around I'm going to take a conventional German 101 class online starting next month. I'll supplement with Assimil which I will probably start this week.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:13 am

German
-Assimil app: Lesson 1
-Memrise: review Assimil vocabulary

I started back with German today. I'm only doing Assimil until my online German class starts in a couple of weeks. I did lesson 1 of Assimil which is short and took only about 10 minutes. I also did the associated vocabulary using a Memrise course that someone else created. I pretty much remembered everything.

Italian:
-Mhz Choice: La vita promessa S1E3-4 (218 mins)

My italki tutor is on vacation for a few weeks so I've not done anything with Italian except watch two more episodes of La vita promessa. I tried to watch another movie they had on the life of Sofia Loren where she plays her mother in the movie but I gave up on it about half way through the first of two parts. Not very good in my opinion.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Tubarões Voadores by João Pedro Santos Correia (48%)
-Textbook: Cozinhar em Português (Pastéis de Bacalhau)
-Textbook: Gramática Ativa 1 - units 21-23
-PTLab: B1-B2 lessons: PMQPC & PPC verb conjugations

My strategy now is to go through each chapter of Gramática Ativa I that I haven't yet done using PTLab to review whatever grammar concept the chapter is covering. I did three units covering pretérito mais-que-perfeito composto do indicativo (past perfect), pretérito perfeito composto do indicativo (present perfect) and vou fazer/estou a fazer/acabei de fazer which are used to indicate something you're going to do, are doing now or just did.

I did another recipe plus associated exercises in Cozinhar em Português which was for Pastéis de Bacalhau. This book is supposed to be A2-C1. I felt like the exercises in this chapter were a little harder than in the previous ones.

pasteis.jpeg

I've given up on Adultos by Marian Keyes (translated by Caroline Horta) after 300 pages (of 700+). I couldn't take any more of it. Too many characters, too long, too repetitive. One woman has bulimia which was a complete bore to read about. Another woman is well off but spends money like a drunken sailor and is slowly going broke but she's in denial. The author appears to want to make a statement about refugees and/or immigrants but it comes across as lecturing via a couple of woke young adults which irritated me especially because while they complained about the situation and didn't like the ostentatiousness of the wealthy woman they still partook of her generosity. I expected more from this author as I've read some of her other books and they are much better. On the positive side I read enough to bring me to complete my romance language SC.
8 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:28 pm

French
-MHz Choice: Commissaire Magellan S1E3-8 (540 mins)

German
-Assimil app: Lessons 2-9
-Clozemaster

I've done lessons 2-9 of Assimil and the associated vocabulary in Memrise. I decided to do the 365 Challenge (30 mins/day) for German in 2022 so I've had to do a little Clozemaster this month to get in my last few minutes of the day since the Assimil lessons and vocabulary review are pretty easy right now and don't take a lot of time. I still remember the majority of words and surprisingly even the genders since that was an area I struggled in previously.

Italian:
-Reading: Carnevale in giallo by Costa, Giménez-Bartlett, Malvaldi, Manzini, Recami (10%)

Since I decided to give up on finishing one of the Portuguese books I'm back to reading in Italian sooner than expected.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Tubarões Voadores by João Pedro Santos Correia (68%)
-Textbook: Gramática Ativa 1 - units 24-25
-PTLab: B1-B2 lessons: futuro imperfeito & condicional presente verb conjugations

I did two units of Gramática Ativa I covering the futuro imperfeito (future) and condicional presente (conditional).

I also read the full story O baú das coisas perdidas by Susana Morais who is the person behind the PTLab (Portuguese Lab Academy). This is written at the A2 level. She must be planning a sequel because the ending was not complete. The book is structured with the story in Portuguese, the story with English translation (by paragraph), interactive exercises, glossary and there is audio available all for only $3 on Amazon for the ebook version. I was using this for my short lived shadowing last month. I will most likely spend some more time with the rest of the book and audio but I did read the entire story in one go a few days ago. It's pretty easy though there were some unknown words due to the type of story which is about a bubble breathing dragon and a woman who finds lost things for others. Information can be found here: https://storyglot.com/bau-das-coisas-perdidas

2021 Recap
I finished the year with a total of 967 hours of study broken down by language:
French - 53
Italian - 333
German - 112
Latin - 1.5
Piedmontese - 15
Portuguese - 452
Sicilian - .5

A significant amount of time was spent reading in Italian and Portuguese. My slow speed with Portuguese is quite apparent as I spent twice as many hours reading in Portuguese as Italian but ended up with a lot fewer pages.

Final numbers for Super Challenge 2020-21. Even though I did a Romance Family all but two books were in Portuguese. One was Italian/Portuguese and one was Italian/Piemontese. I was trying to get enough pages to make it a full Portuguese and probably made it since I did some partial reading of Portuguese grammar books that I didn't actually count towards my total. Final numbers (hovering over the bars shows the pages/minutes):
film: 13298 / 9000 books: 8220 / 5000 IT
film: 9632 / 9000 books: 177 / 5000 DE
film: 10947 / 9226 books: 5257 / 5000 FR, PT, PMS, SCN

I was disappointed in my lack of progress for the 2021 Output Challenge but will still attempt it again in 2022. Final numbers (hovering shows words/minutes):
IT: wrote: 824 / 50000 recorded: 884 / 3000
PT: wrote: 6036 / 50000 recorded: 22 / 3000
14 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:24 am

French
-MHz Choice: Commissaire Magellan S1E9 & S2E1-2 (274 mins)

German
-Assimil app: Lessons 10-12
-Clozemaster

I've done only lessons 10-12 of Assimil because the App is frequently throwing an unhelpful message and not letting me logon even after multiple attempts. I never used to have this problem but have since I restarted it. I've ended up doing too much Memrise and Clozemaster to get my 30 minutes in for the 365 challenge. My class starts tomorrow so I don't know how much more time I'll spend with these resources. I've already seen the syllabus and the instructor stated that we should expect to spend 12 hours a week studying so it may be that I won't have time for anything but course work although I doubt I'll need to spend that much time since I expect a lot of it be review rather than brand new material.

Italian:
-Reading: Carnevale in giallo by Costa, Giménez-Bartlett, Malvaldi, Manzini, Recami (36%)
-Netflix: È Stata La Mano Di Dio (130 mins)

I haven't been on Netflix in quite a while and see they have some new Italian movies and series. I watched È Stata La Mano Di Dio based on the recommendation of Cheri at https://iloveitalianmovies.com. I used to read her blog periodically but she switched to a newsletter format last year which I subscribe to. It's useful for knowing about new Italian movies and where to watch them online when it's possible. I didn't care for the movie but stuck with it thinking it would get better. It didn't.

Portuguese:
-Textbook: Gramática Ativa 1 - unit 26
-PTLab: B1-B2 lessons: infinitivo pessoal verb conjugations
-wrote: 544 words

I only managed one unit of Gramática Ativa I covering the infinitivo pessoal (personal infinitive).

Book #19: Tubarões Voadores by João Pedro Santos Correia. I completely enjoyed this book even though it ended up not being quite what I expected. Correia always liked sharks as a child and knew he wanted to work with them so he became a marine biologist. The book is about his path of working with sharks in Bimini after graduation through his work with the Lisbon Aquarium and the creation of his company Flying Sharks which is the title of the book. His company name is in English. Flying Sharks supplies various sea animals to aquariums and zoos all over the world. A lot of the book is about the logistics of shipping tanks of live fish and all the things that went wrong. This is a world I knew nothing about so it was quite informative. The one thing that would have made the book better was to have included photos because it was hard for me to visualize what the tanks looked like. The author also teaches future marine biologists.

tubaroesvoadores.jpg
7 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

Return to “Language logs”