Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Re: Lingua's 2020 IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN & various dialects)

Postby lingua » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:21 pm

messed up again ... edited instead of copy/paste. :oops:
Last edited by lingua on Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
6 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:07 pm

Latin
Memrise/Clozemaster
Reading: Lingua Latina Per se Illustrata Pars 1 Famlia Romana by Hans Ørberg
Grammar: Lingua Latina A companion to Familia Romana by Jeanne Marie Neumann
YouTube: ScorpioMartianus: Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata Cap.1 Imperium Romanum (10 mins)
YouTube: ScorpioMartianus: Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata Cap.2 Familia Romana (10 mins)

I read chapter 1 of the companion book but I am not that impressed with it. It seems overly wordy. It may be that when I get into more difficult material it will be more useful. I listened to chapter 1-2 on you tube. I'll probably continue to listen to the prior chapter and new chapter every time. The goal for the rest of this week is to do the exercises of chapter one, read chapter 2 in the companion book, get thorough chapter three words on Memrise to ensure i already know them prior to reading/listening to chapter 3.

The Lingua Latina method seems like it will work OK for me but I also wonder if it would be this easy if I was a complete beginner. It does give me the type of structure I was looking for previously but not finding.

Piedmontese:
Clozemaster
La Lingua piemontese by Bruno Villata (Ch1-2) <-- 17%

I bought La Lingua piemontese a while back and finally started reading it. The first chapter was a general overview of the language and the second chapter covered articles in great depth. So far I think the book is good as far as explaining things. However it has two negatives. There are many example sentences in piemontese but no translations. I can understand a lot of it due to the similarities with other romance languages and Latin but it would still be useful. It would also have been helpful if they had included charts for the articles and also for verb conjugations (I looked ahead). Plurals are a little different in this language. The noun doesn't change endings. Only the article does.

In searching for other sources of information I learned that this language is most similar to Occitan which I find interesting since I have seen similarities to both Portuguese and French. In the Torino area there was a push to teach this language in the schools a few years ago but it seems to not be happening much. Even a textbook was created which I'd like to find but so far I've had no luck.

Sicilian:
Memrise
Beginners Siclian by Joseph Privitera - Chapter 1

Even though I had already read some of the early chapters of Beginners Siclian I decided to start from the beginning for review. I followed the authors guidelines for using the book. Write the conversation in Sicilian and translate to English. Go over the vocabulary and grammar notes. Answer exercise questions. I still remember the majority of the words. Something I've noticed in learning languages is that I have more problems remembering all the 2-3 letter words. Probably because there are so many that are similar to each other it's hard to not get them mixed up. I completed all of chapter one which is an old school boring conversation about the airport. I also managed to complete the Memrise review for the first chapter and will try to complete the second chapter prior to next Sunday.

Going forward I'm going to split into three log updates per week:
Mon: LAT/PMS/SCN
Wed: IT/FR
Fri: DE/PT

With all these languages they've been getting to be so long.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

vegantraveller
Yellow Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (C2), French (C2), German (B2-C1), Japanese (B2), Spanish (B2-B1), Swedish (B1). Just started: Icelandic, Romanian, Occitan/Provençal.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16482

Postby vegantraveller » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:42 am

lingua wrote:Piedmontese:
Clozemaster
La Lingua piemontese by Bruno Villata (Ch1-2) <-- 17%

I bought La Lingua piemontese a while back and finally started reading it. The first chapter was a general overview of the language and the second chapter covered articles in great depth. So far I think the book is good as far as explaining things. However it has two negatives. There are many example sentences in piemontese but no translations. I can understand a lot of it due to the similarities with other romance languages and Latin but it would still be useful. It would also have been helpful if they had included charts for the articles and also for verb conjugations (I looked ahead). Plurals are a little different in this language. The noun doesn't change endings. Only the article does.

In searching for other sources of information I learned that this language is most similar to Occitan which I find interesting since I have seen similarities to both Portuguese and French. In the Torino area there was a push to teach this language in the schools a few years ago but it seems to not be happening much. Even a textbook was created which I'd like to find but so far I've had no luck.

I live in Turin (Torino), so, if you need any resources in Piedmontese (or in Italian), just drop me a PM.
They wanted to add optional Piedmontese courses at local schools some years ago, but they didn't succeed in it.
Piedmontese is hardly spoken in the city itself, mainly confined to local shops with some elderly people from the region. if you travel to the Turin, Cuneo, or Asti provinces is another kettle of fish entirely, and you can hear the language spoken by some locals.
I think you can also contact the Associassion Piemontèisa in Turin for resources.
3 x
I'm a man from Italy, not an owl from Japan :mrgreen:

Please correct my errors!

lingua
Blue Belt

Re: Lingua's 2020 IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Postby lingua » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:07 pm

French:
Memrise/Clozemaster
kwiziq: A0 exercises & tests
MHz Choice: Crime en … Aix Island S2E2 (91 mins)

I've completed all of the kwiziq A0 lessons and vocabulary. The latest test brings me to 72.70%. At this point I'll move on to the A1 lessons along with reviewing any A0 lessons with low scores. I assume that as I complete the A1 lessons my A0 scores will improve.

Italian:
Memrise
Reading: Di noi tre by Andrea De Carlo <-- 61%
Reading: A pranzo con gli amici published by Giunti <-- 38%
Reading: Finalmente ho capito come leggere un bilancio by Maurizio De Pra & Silvia Castelli <-- 6%
Podcast: Di Wine Taste (62 mins)
italki teacher: one hour session
Easy Reader: Part 2 Chapter 4-5
Il buongustare: Unit 1.4
Recorded: 42 mins

Chapter 4 of the Easy Reader was on La città medievale and Chapter 5 on La cucina medievale. I especially liked the latter. Unit 1.4 (B2 level) of Il buongustare was about lasagne. I did all of the exercises from both books. Nothing particularly difficult here.

I finally got around to some recording by reading A pranzo con gli amici aloud. Since I haven't done if for a long time I experienced some strain in the vocal chords but that happened in the past and making it more habitual will eliminate the problem. I don't experience this with regular conversation so I think it's partially due to trying to have perfect pronunciation which causes some tension. When recording I often repeat a particular word 2-3 times until I think it's right.

In my last couple of sessions with my italki teacher she has been stressing how my accent and fluidity continually improve even when I make grammar errors. Most of my errors are because I say the first thing that pops into my head and a lot of the time I self-correct because I realize the error immediately. I would like to reach a point where I don't make those mistakes at all so we're going to spend a portion of our sessions on grammar ... mostly verb tenses that don't flow as naturally even though I understand them.

Since I finished the Hawking book I started a new one on the new subject of finance as part of my quest to focus on different non-fiction subject matter. I only just started it today and I must say it's a bit dry. Thankfully it's pretty short. I bought this book a long time ago and at the time Amazon didn't have much or they were translations which I'm not interested in. I would prefer personal finance and investing as future topics. Hopefully they've added some new books by now.

I've completed Hawking e il mistero dei buchi neri by Luca Novelli. Like all of the books in the series there was the biographical section about his life and accomplishments followed by a mini dictionary. When he was first diagnosed he was given 2.5 years to live yet he made it to 76. This touched more on his personal side due to his illness than some of the books have. He was fortunate that he had the resources for getting special equipment to allow him to communicate.

Hawking.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:39 pm

German:
Memrise/Clozemaster
Nico's Weg: 4.2-4.3
Assimil German w/Ease: Dialog 5-10
MHz Choice: Tatort: Borowski S3E4 (85 mins)
MHz Choice: Brunetti S1E1-2 (176 mins)
PMP Verb Tenses: 16.1-2

I've done Assimil 6 out of 7 days. While this method feels okay to me I dislike the size of the book and am unhappy with the font size. It's a real strain for me to read it. The font of the lesson dialogs isn't so bad but the font used for the exercises is lighter and the note font is quite small to the point I have to hold the book six inches from eyes to even read it. My prescription reading glasses are not strong enough for this. I also find the organization of everything generally cramped. It would be quite an improvement if it were a more standard textbook dimension and I would have gladly paid more for it. I imagine this isn't an issue for people with good eyes. I won't dwell on this in further posts but I'm unlikely to use this resource for other languages because of it.

The Brunetti series is based on the books by Donna Leon which are written in English but translated into many languages excluding Italian because she refuses to allow it. She's lived in Italy for years and doesn't want to be known there. Consequently, the series is in German. I had tried to watch it twice before and couldn't get past the German being spoken in Venezia. This time I was able to. I read most of the book series a few years ago. From what I remember the series mostly follows the books. The German spoken in this series is exceptionally clear and the characters often speak a little slower than in other shows so my comprehension is better than with other series.

I haven't done any verb exercises in a while. I ended up skipping two units on some of the different past tenses because I noticed I got so many of them wrong on the one I started last time. I'll revisit at a later date. Instead I moved on to lassen which was a short chapter but helpful since this is something I see a fair amount on Clozemaster. I always liked the Practice Makes Perfect series for Italian but I am not as impressed with German. The author doesn't always provide enough explanation especially when the example sentences are simple and some of the exercise sentences aren't.

Portuguese:
Memrise/Clozemaster
PTLab: Lesson 29-31
rpt.com: Ingrediente Secreto E4-6 (76 mins)

I completed three PT Lab lessons. Lesson 29 covered comparatives/superlatives which is an easy concept. Lesson 30 covered indirect complement pronouns another simple enough concept. Last was lesson 31 which covered "what one does" using the impersonal -se. I had to relearn a lot of grammar concepts when I first took up Italian which makes it a lot easier to pickup when learning other languages.

I watched three more episodes of Ingrediente Secreto. The secret ingredients were oranges, sour cherry and organic fruit. When I first saw the title I thought the secret ingredients would be more exotic than there were. The chef on the series has several restaurants including one with two Michelan stars. He also has published a cookbook which I'll be buying. His food is all easy to make but everything looks so excellent.

Starting next week I'm going to swap my French and Portuguese study days since I want to keep French at a lower level than Portuguese and my primary focus is still on Portuguese and German with Italian mostly in maintenance mode. I already have some interference with the Romance languages.
3 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:50 pm

lingua wrote:German:
MHz Choice: Brunetti S1E1-2 (176 mins)

The Brunetti series is based on the books by Donna Leon which are written in English but translated into many languages excluding Italian because she refuses to allow it. She's lived in Italy for years and doesn't want to be known there. Consequently, the series is in German. I had tried to watch it twice before and couldn't get past the German being spoken in Venezia. This time I was able to. I read most of the book series a few years ago. From what I remember the series mostly follows the books. The German spoken in this series is exceptionally clear and the characters often speak a little slower than in other shows so my comprehension is better than with other series. .
I really like Ms Leon's reasoning for refusing a translation.
3 x

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:17 pm

Latin
Memrise/Clozemaster
Textbook: Lingua Latina Per se Illustrata Pars 1 Famlia Romana by Hans Ørberg
Grammar: Lingua Latina A companion to Familia Romana by Jeanne Marie Neumann
YouTube: ScorpioMartianus: Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata Cap.2 Familia Romana (10 mins)
YouTube: ScorpioMartianus: Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata Cap.3 Puer Improbus (8 mins)

I was happier with Chapter 2 of the companion book than Chapter 1. It was better organized and the explanations were good. I did some of the exercises of Chapter 1 which included filling in the blanks and I answered all of the questions. I wrote all sentences by hand rather than on the computer. I understood the concepts well enough to not feel the need to write every single sentence but I can see doing that in the future. I listened to chapter 2 again and then Chapter 3. What a violent family! The goal for this week is to do the exercises of Chapter 2, read Chapter 3 in the companion book and get thorough Chapter 4 words on Memrise to ensure I already know them prior to reading/listening to it.

Piedmontese:
Clozemaster
La Lingua piemontese by Bruno Villata (Ch3) <-- 23%

I read chapter 3 which was on nouns. Again, it was thorough. It appears that this book is geared towards those who already understand the language which is probably why there are no translations. When going over the articles, the examples made it seem like the endings of the nouns don't change. But it turns out that isn't completely true. It often depends on the endings. Some nouns are used only in the plural. It also covered superlative, diminutive and other endings.

el frel, ij frej (brother)
un fil, due fij (filament, strand, thread, string, etc)
el blagör, ij blagör (braggart)
el pare, ij pare (father)
la pel, le pej (skin)
l'om, j'om (man, husband)
la ciuss, le ciuss (mother hen, overprotective mother)

The goal for the next week is to read Chapter 4 on adjectives and continue to go through the Clozemaster reviews. I've been using https://www.piemunteis.it/dep/dizionario.dep for translating but it's missing quite a few words.

Sicilian:
Memrise
Beginners Siclian by Joseph Privitera - Chapter 2
I again wrote out the dialog of Chapter 2 and translated it. It was about introductions. I also did all the exercises. I still don't think this is a very good book. It often translates sentences one way in the dialog and a different way in the exercises. The meaning is the same in English but I would prefer a book to be more consistent.

The goal for next week is to review all of the Chapter 3 vocabulary in Memrise prior to reading it.

I'm glad I decided to devote one day a week to these three languages. I enjoy the break from the other languages and I feel like I'll finally make some progress.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:07 pm

Italian:
Memrise
Reading: Di noi tre by Andrea De Carlo <-- 76%
Reading: Finalmente ho capito come leggere un bilancio by Maurizio De Pra & Silvia Castelli <-- 39%
italki teacher: one hour session
Easy Reader: Part 2 Chapter 6-7 & Ripasso 2
Il buongustare: Unit 2.1-2.2
Speechling: 39 mins
Recorded: 95 mins

Chapter 6 of the Easy Reader was about San Francesco (of Assisi) and Chapter 7 was about Marco Polo. The Ripasso summarized the first seven chapters. Unit 2.1 (Gli sviluppi della cucina italiana nel XX secolo) and 2.2 (L’Italia è il paese del vino) of Il buongustare are rated as level B1. Even though neither of these sources are particularly challenging I still continue to learn a few new words each week. I did all of the exercises for both books. Answering the questions is helpful for solidifying my comprehension.

On Speechling I've been doing a lot of verb + pronoun words because they're the type that don't roll off my tongue. Examples: versatela, aggiungeteli, raccoglieteli etc. I'm not getting many corrections so my pronunciation seems to be okay.

I've continued to record myself reading A pranzo con gli amici aloud. As expected, the last couple of sessions have not been difficult on the vocal cords. I'm relaxing my muscles more. I completed the book yesterday.

A pranzo con gli amici published by Giunti Demetra. This is a book of recipes. I liked it because there was a full page picture for every dish. Giunti likes to repackage books a lot and they appear to have a formula of making the book always 128 pages. This was no exception. Because of the picture heaviness I'm only counting 50% of the pages for SC.

pranzo.jpg

Portuguese:
Memrise/Clozemaster
PT Lab: Lesson #32

Lesson #32 covered the possessives. Easy enough. Not much for Portuguese since I swapped the days with French which is already working out better for me timewise as it's more balanced. So I think my schedule tinkering is complete now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lingua on Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

tangleweeds
Green Belt
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:41 pm

lingua wrote:I've done Assimil 6 out of 7 days. While this method feels okay to me I dislike the size of the book and am unhappy with the font size. It's a real strain for me to read it. The font of the lesson dialogs isn't so bad but the font used for the exercises is lighter and the note font is quite small to the point I have to hold the book six inches from eyes to even read it. My prescription reading glasses are not strong enough for this. I also find the organization of everything generally cramped. It would be quite an improvement if it were a more standard textbook dimension and I would have gladly paid more for it. I imagine this isn't an issue for people with good eyes. I won't dwell on this in further posts but I'm unlikely to use this resource for other languages because of it.

During a phase when I was studying at the local university library, I started using our multipurpose printer/scanner/copier to copy my current chaper in each book so I didn't have to lug so many textbooks in my backpack on transit.

But the biggest benefit turned out to be its capacity to enlarge books like Assimil (or even Buntús Cainte in Gaeilge), which also eliminated any qualms (or space considerations, or issues writing on glossy paper) about writing personal notes all over the pages, a habit that helps me a lot with retention.

I'd known my eyes weren't as young as they used to be, yet I was still surprised the degree to which the print size of the non-conversation notes in Assimil had been negatively affecting my absorption of the grammar and the other small-print info--once I did that enlargement option on the printer/copier/everything-machine, everything became so much clearer, both in on paper and in my head.
5 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:40 pm

French:
Memrise/Clozemaster
MHz Choice: Crime en … Bastia S2E3 (88 mins)
Kwiziq: A0 exercises & tests

The most recently watched episode of Crime en ... was pretty bad. There were comments on MHz Choice saying as much but unfortunately I didn't listen and ended up watching. It was a yawner.

I've completed the A1 pronoun lessons and started the verb conjugations. I haven't taken many A1 tests yet. Currently I have a score of 75.32% for A0 and 4.16% for A1. My Brainmap is still rather sparse for A1 and has some yellow in A0 partially related to articles since I still have gaps in that area. I've created a Memrise course with only nouns so I can learn more words. I'll probably create another one for verb conjugations in the present tense.

FrenchBrainMap30Oct.jpg

German:
Memrise/Clozemaster/Speechling
MHz Choice: Brunetti S1E3 (89 mins)
PMP: 17.1-4
Nico's Weg: 4.4
Assimil German w/Ease: Dialog 11-14
Wrote: 33 words

After last weeks mini rant about Assimil I considered giving up on it over the weekend but then along came the German Mini-group started by Cavesa & CarlyD which I joined. So I restarted it with a little more enthusiasm on Monday. I also stopped trying to enter everything from book to computer document and started writing the last two lessons completely by hand in large clear font. This made everything work a lot smoother. I'll use these to do my input in the document. I realize that I don't have to put everything in a document but I feel like it will make the active phase much easier to deal with. I'm also convinced that writing by hand sticks to my memory better than writing the same thing on the computer does.

Assimil did a good job of explaining when to use kein(e) and when to use nicht. While I've always noticed these two words and understood the meaning from various sentences I had not ever picked up on the actual grammar rule so now I'll look for it in Clozemaster.

I did one Nico's Weg lesson and part of one exercise suggested writing a few sentences in a particular format so I wrote a whole 33 words. Unit 17 of PMP covers reflexive verbs so I did the first four sets of exercises. At one point I thought it was too easy and started doubting myself but it turns out my understanding was correct.

I've added Speechling to the list of activities starting at their beginner level. I thought my pronunciation wasn't too bad and it turns out to mostly be true outside of ch sounds like in ich and some of the umlauted vowels. I had on average 12% corrections on the short sentences and all but one was in these two areas. Considering how little speaking I've done I am pretty happy about it. I now know what to concentrate on.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

Return to “Language logs”