Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Re: Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Postby lingua » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:01 am

German:
-SRS (flashcards)
-MHz Choice: Die Toten vom Bodensee S2 E4 (88 mins)
-MHz Choice:Tatort: Borowski S3E6 (88 mins)
-Reading: Kochen und backen mit der Maus published by ZS Verlog (21%)
-youtube: 2 videos (48 mins)

I watched a couple of you tube cooking videos on wiener schnitzel which was one of the recipes in the cookbook a while back. Otherwise I've continued slowly reading the cookbook. I watched a recently added new episode of Die Toten vom Bodensee and also returned to Borowski.

Italian:
-Podcast: Mangi come parli (167 mins)

I listened to four episodes of Mangia come parli. I've been listening to 2019 episodes and at one point they took a break for a couple of months. When they came back they started a series of episodes on regional food. Subjects were brodi e consommè followed by La Liguria, La Lombardia & La Valle d’Aosta. I looked ahead and that theme will continue for a while.

Piedmontese:
-Clozemaster
-Grammar: Il piemontese in tasca by Assimil (69%)

I did three conversations in the Assimil book. Subjects were le attività economiche, l'agricoltura & la natura. There was a lot of vocabulary for different animals, flowers, birds, etc for the last one. I didn't know a lot of the Italian words so also didn't learn the Piedmontese ones either since I didn't bother to look them up. I probably don't know all the bird names in English either since it's not a subject I have any interest in.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Amor e medo no Caminho Santiago by Gonçalo JN Dias (12%)
-Reading: Na cozinha com Henrique Sá Pessoa by Pessoa (36%)

Not much with Portuguese outside of reading Na cozinha com Henrique Sá Pessoa. I will be done with this book in no time. Evidently I read further in Amor e medo no Caminho Santiago than I needed to for the PTLab book club. So this weeks assigned reading is mostly already done. I have only one chapter to do.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:53 pm

French:
-MHz Choice: Agatha Christie’s Criminal Games S1E1 (93 mins)
-MHz Choice: Agatha Christie's Family Murder Party S1E1 (94 mins)
-MHz Choice: Caïn S1E1-6, 8 & S2E1-3, 5 (583 mins)
-Kwiziq: review A0 concepts

Mostly I've been binge watching Caïn which is a detective series where the main character is in a wheelchair. Unrealistic but an OK series if a bit cliché at times. I skipped a couple of episodes because I refuse to watch anything involving kidnapping. I don't know why that scenario annoys me so much but it does. MHz Choice only has the first two seasons but from what I understand there is at least a sixth season. It must not have been popular enough on MHz Choice and I noticed there were a lot of complaints in the comments the first few episodes. I also tried a couple of different Agatha Christie series. I never liked the books but I'm OK with the shows.

German:
-Reading: Kochen und backen mit der Maus published by ZS Verlog (22%)
-youtube: 3 videos (52 mins)
-MHz Choice: Spuren des Bösen S1E1 (88 mins)

I watched some more recipe videos on you tube about Milchreis (rice pudding) since that is one of the recent recipes in the cookbook.

Italian:
-Reading: Arcodamore by Andrea De Carlo (20%)
-Podcast: Mangi come parli (246 mins)
-MHz Choice: Le Petit Tour S1E1-3 (90 mins)
-Reading/Recording: Il dizionario del pasticcere – Tutto, dalla A alla Z (57%)
-Recorded: 48 mins

I listened to six more episodes of Mangia come parli which were on the following regions: Piemonte, Il Trentino Alto Adige, Il Veneto, Il Friuli Venezia Giulia, L’Emilia Romagna & La Toscano.

I also started another book by De Carlo. I don't want too long of a gap between books even though I do a book for recording it's different than pure reading.

MHz Choice has a new series that is situated in Valle d'Aosta. The host focuses on an Italian and French producer of some product. So far it's been Fontina vs Beaufort cheese, Prie Blanc vs Reze wine and Polenta vs Corn. The host lives in Italy but speaks both French and Italian like many people in that region so the show does both languages. Probably more French than Italian actually but since MHz Choice put it under the Italian category I am too. So far the host has taken the Italian producer with him to the French side where they see how the operation is run. Followed by tasting each others product.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Amor e medo no Caminho Santiago by Gonçalo JN Dias (20%)
-PTLab: Breakthrough – Module 1 (B1)
-Wrote: 268 words
-italki: 3 one hour sessions
-recorded: 11 mins

I don't seem to be doing much with Portuguese except my italki teacher sessions and reading. I did do the past subjunctive on PTLab and a small bit of writing and recording. I'm going to try to record after my sessions in the future when my pronunciation is probably at it's best since I'm making sure they all correct me.

Book #8: I finished Na cozinha com Henrique Sá Pessoa by Pessoa. It was a nice cookbook with lovely photos of all the food. The last section of the book was a bit on how a well stocked pantry should be and then talked about different categories of food. Easy and enjoyable read.

pessoa.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:26 pm

I've been busy the last couple of weeks and not felt like doing any actual studying so I've been mostly consuming. I've just about completed the film portion of all three of my Super Challenges.

German:
-MHz Choice: Bukow and Konig S1E1 (88 mins)

Italian:
-Reading: Arcodamore by Andrea De Carlo (51%)
-Podcast: Mangi come parli (638 mins)
-MHz Choice: Le Petit Tour S1E4-6 (90 mins)
-italki: 65 min session

I listened to 15! more episodes of Mangia come parli. They're still focusing on the regions: L’Umbria, Le Marche, Il Lazio, L’Abruzzo, Il Molise, Il Trentino – Parte II, Il Piemonte – Parte II, Si riparte dal Veneto … alla Calabria, Dal Friuli alla Sicilia, Emilia Romagna e Basilicata, Toscana e Molise, Lazio e Sardegna, Abruzzo e Puglia, Le Marche - Parte II and La Campania – Parte II. I finally got into 2020 episodes so they have touched upon the beginnings of the Covid crisis that took place in Italy and discussed the devastation to the travel and restaurant industries.

I watched the next three episodes of Le Petit Tour focusing on Valle d'Aosta. Subjects were Goat Cheese, Lard D'arand and Dry Lard from Valias. Those both had French and Italy components. Episode 6 was on Donnas and Lessona which are two towns in the Italian region that aren't very far apart. Each had a wine producer. The vineyard in Donnas was grown canopy style within stone and wood while the one in Lessona was grown within the forests. I also read an interview by the host and he was surprised at how well the series was received in Italy. There are only four more episodes.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Amor e medo no Caminho Santiago by Gonçalo JN Dias (20%)
-Reading: Alimentação Saudavel by AA.VV (37%)
-O Sábio E1 (47 mins)
-italki: 4 one hour sessions

I've not done anything on PT Lab since the beginning of the month since I've been reviewing so much grammar via my tutoring sessions. I started another book about dieting which is an easy read. Yesterday I watched the first episode of O Sábio after seeing it mentioned by another forum member. It's a soap opera. I watched with CC on but it was poorly done as they'd flip it off before the person even finished talking so I didn't always even have time to read it all. The nice thing is they include a detailed synopsis for the episodes which I read before watching so I could at least know all of the names of the characters and a general idea of what was happening. This first episode had many story lines and I hope they will be more conventional and only focus on a subset of them in the future episodes.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:09 pm

German:
-MHz Choice: Marie Brand S1E1-4 (353 mins)
-zdf.de: Doktor Ballouz S1E1 (44 mins)

I found this show Doktor Ballouz on zdf.de. I watched the first episode and it was fine so I started the 2nd episode but lost interest. I think the problem is it's too slow and the doctor is too good to be true. There was no CC available but I was still able to follow the plot even if I didn't know all the words. What I'd really like is a German soap to watch but I've not found one that is accessible to me.

Italian:
-Reading: Arcodamore by Andrea De Carlo (63%)
-Podcast: Mangi come parli (132 mins)
-MHz Choice: Le Petit Tour S1E4-6 (120 mins)
-italki: 65 min session

I listened to three more episodes of Mangia come parli. Subject were L’Umbria – Parte II, Buona estate Made In Italy! and Il pomodoro. So the focus on regions has come to an end. I'll probably be caught up with this podcast by the end of next month and then will focus on one of the money related ones most likely. I also completed my SC for Italian.

I watched the final four episodes of Le Petit Tour focusing on Valle d'Aosta. These episodes had French, Swiss and Italy components. They covered another type of grape/wine, bodeun & blood sausage, cider and torcetto. I'm sorry there aren't any more episodes because I enjoyed the short series.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Alimentação Saudavel by AA.VV (74%)
-O Sábio E1-2 w/o CC (95 mins)
-O Sábio E2-3 w/CC (88 mins)
-italki: 3 one hour sessions

I watched two more epsiodes of O Sábio with CC on and then watched two prior ones with CC turned off. Before watching I read the very long synopsis for each episode. They aren't quite accurate though because part of synopsis for E2-3 partially covered things that occurred in the prior episode. But it still helps to know what will happen so I can listen for key words.

Book #9: Amor e medo no Caminho Santiago by Gonçalo JN Dias. I ended up finishing this book unintentionally. Overall I thought it was pretty bad though at my level of Portuguese it was an easy read. The author writes in an overly flowery way and I don't think the story line was at all credible. The primary character Ricardo (a Portuguese) meets Valeria (a Brazilian) on the Caminho Santiago trail. And predictably they fall for each other. Then we get to the dark side where they and four other hikers (or pilgrims as they are referred to in the book) are captured where they have 24 hours to escape. The hunters are bored wealthy men. There's also a side story about Ricardo's mom who "died" when he was two years old but the reality is quite different.

caminhosantiago.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lingua on Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:23 pm

Oh, wow, I didn't know that there was a synopsis available for each episode until you mentioned it. I see it now if I access through my laptop instead of the app on my ipad. Thanks!
1 x
Corrections are always welcome.

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Wed May 05, 2021 10:48 pm

German:
-MHz Choice: Marie Brand S1E5-8, 10 (435 mins)
-MHz Choice: Crime Stories: Fähner S1E1 (43 mins)

I finished up the single season of Marie Brand skipping E9 because of the kidnapping theme that I refuse to watch. One of the German sites has S2-3 available though I'm not sure if I'll continue with the series or not. It's OK but not exceptional. I enjoyed Fähner which is a series where the criminal tells their side of things. In this case Fähner killed his wife of many years so the story is the why of it. I thought it was pretty good. German has taken a dive outside of watching stuff. I feel no motivation for it at the moment.

Italian:
-Reading: Ah l'amore l'amore... by Antonio Manzini (3%)
-Podcast: Mangi come parli (90 mins)
-italki: 63 min session

I listened to two more episodes of Mangia come parli. Subjects were Il fico and Legume. I finally decided to start the last Rocco Shiavone novel. There still isn't another one out yet. I hope there will be but it's been over a year since this one came out.

I finished Arcodamore by Andrea De Carlo. Of all of his books that I've read this was the worst. Leo is an industrial photographer who is divorced with two kids. He has little interest in doing much but drifting and goes through women regularly. But then he becomes obsessed with Manuela when he meets her. Manuela is a musician and seems emotionally damaged. The relationship is volatile and quasi-violent the entire time. It wasn't very enjoyable (I didn't like any of the characters) yet I stuck with it because I was curious enough to wonder how it would all end. Not very satisfactorily.

arcodamore.jpg

Portuguese:
-Reading: Cozinha a quatro mãos by Rita Lobo (39%)
-O Sábio E3 w/o CC (48 mins)
-O Sábio E4-5 w/CC (82 mins)
-PTLab: futuro do conjuntivo
-italki: 4 one hour sessions

I've watched a couple more episodes of O Sábio. Now I'm getting to know the characters better. O Sábio is something like The Sage and one of the families evidently are witches and have powers. Not too sure yet where that is going. I've realized that the synopsis is more of a recap of the prior episode. At first it wasn't obvious as there was some overlap but now I have to read the next episodes synopsis to know what is going to occur in the episode I'm watching. I wish there was a way to pull the CC down so I could pre-read it and look up some words. Right now I take some time with my favorite story lines to put the unknown words in Deepl as I go along but it slows the flow down.

Book #10: Alimentação Saudavel by AA.VV. I finished this short book. It was about different food myths and general healthy eating. Nothing new here but still useful as a vocabulary builder. I learned some new words but for the most part the vocabulary was known or easy to figure out due to similarity to Italian, Latin and/or English.

saudavel.jpg
6 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Fri May 14, 2021 5:55 am

German:
-MHz Choice: Tatort: Borowski S3E7 (90 mins)
-MHz Choice: Crime Stories: Tanatas Teeschale S1E2 (43 mins)

This Crime Story episode was disappointing as I very much liked the first episode.

Italian:
-Podcast: Mangi come parli (295 mins)
-italki: 66 min session

I listened to seven episodes of Mangia come parli. Subjects were Uva, Funghi, Le Castagne, Il Topinambur, Il Tartufo bianco, La Zucca, Il Sedano rapa.

I finished up the most recent Rocco Schiavone book: Ah l’amore l’amore. I hope there will be another book soon. As is typical for me I have trouble talking about mysteries because I don't want to give anything away in case someone else is planning to read it.

amore.jpg

Piedmontese:
- Il Piemontese in tasca (78%)

I read the chapters on Il turismo & Lo sport. As always the vocabulary is exceptional and there was a bit of discussion about sports and tourisim in the region.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Cozinha a quatro mãos by Rita Lobo (54%)
-O Sábio E6-10 w/CC (206 mins)
-PTLab: futuro do conjuntivo
-italki: 2 one hour sessions

Not much to say about Portuguese. Mostly I read and watch O Sábio.

I'm taking a proper vacation beginning on Saturday. I'll be out of town for the duration so won't be doing much more than reading in Italian and Portuguese for the next week. For me vacation is a time to shun electronics outside of the Kindle. When I get back I'm hoping my motivation returns.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon May 24, 2021 10:41 pm

Italian:

-italki: one 72 min session

Portuguese:
-Reading: Cozinha a quatro mãos by Rita Lobo (70%)
-rtp.pt: O Sábio E11 w/CC (41 mins)
-PTLab: pretérito perfeito composto do conjuntivo
-italki: one 60 minute session

I wasn't very successful with my reading while on vacation. I ended up reading in English on the plane which turned into three books total since I read quite fast in English. Once I was home I returned to my Portuguese book and plan to finish it within the next few days. I need to get back on track.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:02 pm

Italian:
-Reading: Pura vita by Andrea De Carlo (6%)
-Reading/Recording: Il dizionario del pasticcere – Tutto, dalla A all Z (60%)
-Recorded: 21 mins
-italki: one 63 min session

I have returned to the recording and just started another De Carlo book. After this I have only two left of the 12 I originally bought. I don't recommend binge buying authors like I do. I may end up starting a different book and putting this one on hold until another time. Like all his books it starts out slow and so far I can't even figure out where it's going.

Piedmontese:
-Clozemaster

I finally finished Il Piemontese in tasca by Assimil. Last few subjects covered istruzione e informazione, le istituzione, la religione and il folklore. There was also a bibliography that I looked through to see if there were any other books I would be interested in buying eventually and there is.

I thought this was a pretty decent book overall. It's pretty thorough with the included vocabulary. Often there were more detailed words than you'd typically see in a beginner grammar book. There were plenty of longer and more advanced sample sentences. My only complaint is with the font which is pretty small so it wasn't the easiest thing to read physically.

piemontesetasca.jpeg

I'm not sure what I'll do next. Either return to the Ël cit prinsa or start the other grammar book I have. But first I'm going to complete the Sicilian textbook as I only have a couple of chapters left.

Portuguese:
-SRS
-Reading: Os sabores do Alentajo by Aguinaldo Záckia Albert (11%)
-rtp.pt: O Sábio E12 w/CC (42 mins)
-PTLab: futuro perfeito composto do conjuntivo, infinitivo pessoal composto
-italki: two 60 minute sessions
-wrote: 205 words

I'm more or less back on track. I even wrote a little bit after not doing so for more than a month. I've also been doing a little better with having simple conversations with my italki teachers although I'm planning to cut down the number of sessions the rest of the summer as I have other things I want to do with my time now that I'm fully vaccinated and things are pretty much open here.

I did Memrise for the first time in a long time on the desktop and am not too happy that they've ruined it and made it more like the app. I like to separate subjects by level and now when you review a level it takes you back to the list of all your courses so you have to continually go back instead of taking you back to where you started. It's very annoying plus I am not a fan of gamification in the first place. I downloaded the latest version of Anki which actually seems a little nicer than the last time I used it. I started playing with it but I don't look forward to adding all the data into it so I'm not sure what I'll do. Even though I'm minimizing SRS anymore there are times when a little review can be useful.

Book #11: Cozinha a quatro mãos by Rita Lobo. The audience for this book was intended for couples/newlyweds who were first starting to live together and the premise was that four hands are better than two in the kitchen. She was also making the plug for equality in the kitchen right off the bat. In this book she does meal plans and breaks down the tasks for person 1 and person 2 to do. She then adds variations on the original meal plan. She also discusses how to make lunches to take to work the next day. She encourages the reader to eat more healthy and not buy prepared foods from the grocery and so on. Ms Lobo seems to be on a one woman mission to get Brazilians to learn to cook and eat more healthily. Overall, I was pretty bored with this one because it was redundant and I didn't learn anything new. Plus most of the recipes were basic. I saw a review on amazon.br that said pouco conteudo apesar de muitas palavras which I agree with. I was even starting to wonder if she had a minimum page count requirement from the publisher.

cozinhaquatro.jpeg
3 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:53 pm

German
-MHz Choice: Bukow and Konig S1E2 (87 mins)
-MHz Choice: Die Pfeiler der Macht (179 mins)
-MHz Choice: Wolfsland S1E1-2 (175 mins)
-MHz Choice: Der Bestatter S1E1-4 & S2E1-2 (346 mins)

German has mostly been put on the back burner as Portuguese has become my primary focus for now. I have managed to complete the film portion of the German SC but it's pretty apparent the reading portion isn't going to happen. I've decided I don't like Bukow and Konig after a couple of episodes. Too much angst. Der Bestatter (the undertaker) is so far the best of the ones I've been trying.

Italian:
-Mhz Choice: Il giovane Montalbano S1E1 (118 mins)
-Mhz Choice: Montalbano S1E1 (105 mins)
-Podcast: Mangia come parli (298 mins)
-Reading/Recording: Il dizionario del pasticcere – Tutto, dalla A all Z (70%)
-Recorded: 58 mins
-italki: one 69 min session & one 69 minute session

I've started to rewatch both Il giovane Montalbano and Montalbano. Mostly because I wanted to watch some Italian and I've already watched everything I want to on Mhz Choice. Next month they'll have the final Montalbano episode and later in the year the second seasons of three series I liked: I delitti del BarLume, Imma Tataranni and I bastardi di Pizzofalcone which I'm happy about.

I also listened to seven more episodes of Mangia come parli covering subjects: aglio bianco e aglio nero, il cavolfiore, lo zafferano, la triglia, la melagrana, le cime di rapa and Torrone/Marron Glacé/Storione. I quit reading the De Carlo book as I couldn't get into it. The latest Rocco Schiavone book has just come out so I'll start that soon instead.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Comida de verdade by Yotam Ottolenghi (6%)
-PTLab: futuro perfeito composto, condicional pretérito, gerúndio
-italki: four 60 minute sessions

I've completed the B2 portion of PTLab. The entire B1/B2 consisted of all the additional conjugations that I didn't learn in A1/A2. There is no way I memorized all of the verb conjugations so this was more of an overview. Now I'm going to go back to the beginning and review to see where my gaps are and work on them. There are a couple of other B1/B2 modules covering listening and vocabulary that I'll also do interspersed with the review.

Book #12: Os sabores do Alentejo by Aguinaldo Záckia Albert. This book was about the Alentejo area of Portugal. When I bought it I had hoped the author was Portuguese but he turned out to be a Brazilian who has spent a lot of time in the region. The book covered a short history of the area, some information about the primary ingredients in the area, a small glossary of food words, some recipes, wine of the area and some travel information on points of interest, vineyards, museums, restaurants, etc by city. Many of the recipes were supplied by restaurant owners of the region. I've been to the Azores, Algarve and Lisbon and always wanted to go to Porto but the Alentejo was never on my radar. Now it is so it will also have to be visited eventually. I'd also like to find other books similar to this about other areas of Portugal. It was both an enjoyable and educational read.

alentejo.jpeg
6 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

Return to “Language logs”