Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Re: Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Postby lingua » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:34 am

Italian:
-Podcast: Mangi come parli (259 mins)

I listened to a few more episodes of Mangi come parli which were on insalata e verdure, le conserve, pesce di mare, ricette di Capodanno & la frutta.

Portuguese:
-Reading: O mundo do bartender by Cardoso & Corrêa (61%)
-Reading: O vinho que Lisboa tem by Ana Cristina Marques (4%)
-youtube: Teresa activa: Lulas recheadas, Lulas à Sevilhana, Lombinho de porco, Camarão frito (60 mins)
-youtube: Tuga na Cozinha: Como cozer Polvo (18 mins)
-PTLab: Verb Booster, Consolidate Portuguese - A2, Skills Builder: Focused Stories

On PTLab I reviewed the verbs pôr - to put/place, querer - to want, ver - to see, vir - to come which concludes the Verb Booster course. I also listened to Dialog #7 of the Consolidate Portuguese and listened to the last beginner focused story which covered the differences between conhecer and saber (both verbs meaning to know). The difference is similar to conoscere & sapere in Italian. Outside of that I've watched a few more cooking videos and read.

I finished the non-book Saúde e Nutrição published by FG Digital. Aside from being short and rather pricey for the shortness the last 15% of the book pushed other Portuguese books. I didn't even bother to see what they were about because I was annoyed by then. The book itself was not worth my time. The only thing I can say on the positive side is that I picked up a few new words.

saude.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:58 am

Italian:
-Reading/Recording: 100 lampi di genio by Luca Novelli (83%)
-Recorded: 35 mins

I recorded 35 minutes today which is the longest I've done in recent times. I wanted to keep going but I had to quit as I started losing my voice. I'm happy to see that Amazon had two new Luca Novelli books in the series. Dante e le infernali scienze and Marco Polo e l'incredibile Milione which seem a little less science oriented to me then most of them. I am still hoping to see Tesla make it here. I believe that one is older though so maybe they aren't going to put it in digital format.

Portuguese:
-Reading: O mundo do bartender by Cardoso & Corrêa (63%)
-Reading: O vinho que Lisboa tem by Ana Cristina Marques (9%)
-youtube: Casa Portuguesa: Arroz de Polvo, Arroz doce, Feijoada de pota à casa portuguesa (106 mins)
-PTLab: Consolidate Portuguese - A2, Skills Builder: Focused Stories

On PTLab I listened to Dialog #8 of the Consolidate Portuguese and listened to the upper-beginner (A2) focused story which focused on the simple past and 25 verbs ending in -ar specifically in the 3rd person singular. Easy enough. I watched three Casa Portuguesa episodes.

I started a new book on the wines of Lisbon (and surrounding area). The author goes to about 30 wine "farm houses" and wine bars and then reports on them. New subject so it has started off with a lot of dictionary look ups but just like the bartender book I expect that to slow down after a while. I also bought the first Rocco Schiavone book Pista Negra in Portuguese as I thought it would be a reasonable choice as my first fiction book since I already read it in Italian. It's the only one they have in Portuguese.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:18 am

German:
-Karneval in Köln by André Klein (35%)
-Recorded 11 mins

Italian:
-Reading/Recording: 100 lampi di genio by Luca Novelli (90%)
-Recorded: 28 mins

I recorded another 28 minutes and should finish it up in the next day or two.

Portuguese:
-Reading: O mundo do bartender by Cardoso & Corrêa (80%)
-Reading: O vinho que Lisboa tem by Ana Cristina Marques (12%)
-PTLab: Skills Builder: Focused Stories
-wrote: 526 words

On PTLab I listened to Focused Stories. One on reflexive verbs and the other on the simple past and 25 verbs ending in -ir specifically in the 3rd person singular. I also wrote 526 words between yesterday and today. I'm trying to do at least 150 per day. I'm pretty slow at it as I end up looking up words and not just using the example sentences given from my various exercises. Outside of that I did a lot of reading as I still want to finish the bartender book by the end of the month. It's over 400 pages so it should make a nice dent in my Romance Family bar.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:56 pm

Italian:
-Recorded: 32 mins

I finished up 100 lampi di genio by Luca Novelli. The best way to describe it is a condensed history of all of the important contributions made by 100 people including many if not all of the ones that got their individual book. It was organized by type of "lampi" so natural, chemical, electricity, electronics, etc. An enjoyable read and I learned a few things that I didn't actually know much about.

100lampi.jpg

Portuguese:
-Reading: O mundo do bartender by Cardoso & Corrêa (82%)
-Reading: O vinho que Lisboa tem by Ana Cristina Marques (24%)
-youtube: Teresa activa: Pataniscas de Bacalhau, Salada Russa, Tortilha de Batata, Rabanadas com calda, Peru Recheado (67 mins)

On PTLab I listened to more Focused Stories. One on the simple past and 25 verbs ending in -er specifically in the 3rd person singular. The other was on soccer but it turned out I forgot to filter for the right level and it was at the intermediate level. Not that I could tell since I mostly understood everything. I don't like soccer or football or really sports in general so I listened to it only once. Usually I listen 2-3 times. And more videos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:57 am

Italian:
-Reading/Recording: Il dizionario del pasticcere – Tutto, dalla A all Z (6%)
-Recorded: 35 mins
-italki: one 66 minute session

I started a new book which is a dictionary on pastry/baking terminology though I'd say it's more like a cross between dictionary and encyclopedia as some entries are quite detailed. There are also basic recipes for some of the entries. For example affogato includes a recipe to make affogato rapido con cioccolato. While I know a good portion of the terms already I've still come across some new ones.

Portuguese:
-Reading: O vinho que Lisboa tem by Ana Cristina Marques (28%)

On PTLab I finished up the rest of the A2 focused stories which each focused on a particular verb in the present and imperfect tense. The final section is articles but there are only two at the A2 level so I'll probably start the B1 course soon. Though I'm not sure if it would be better to review more of the A1-A2 concepts because my output is still on the light side in spite of the fact I find reading in Portuguese not to be too difficult. I don't want to say it's easy because that would be an overstatement and I fully realize part of it is a benefit of knowing Italian. Additionally I spent some time going over a bunch of suffixes a couple of weeks ago which helped quite a bit with the Bartender book. I'd say the the benefit extends mostly to non-fiction as I took a look at the first couple of pages of Pista Negra and decided I wasn't ready for that yet. In any case, it's not like I can't go back and review if I find the B2 lessons difficult.

Yesterday I finished up O mundo do bartender by Pedro Alves Cardoso & Luísa Corrêa. Cardoso is the bartender while Corrêa is in marketing. This book was quite detailed and consisted of four parts. Part 1 covered the history of drinks, bar equipment and the profile of a professional bartender. Part 2 covered information about different alcohol (beer, wine, liquors, spirits, etc). Mostly it discussed the distillation methods. Part 3 was more about mixology, harmonization of ingredients, importance of quality ingredients and the classification of cocktails. Part 4 had recipes of classic cocktails, mocktails, coffee drinks (most without alcohol) and Brazilian cocktails as well as current trends in cocktails. It followed with a glossary of terms.

Cardoso is Portuguese but spent more than 30 years in Brazil as a bartender though it appears he returned to Portugal in more recent times if I understood correctly. I assume Corrêa is Brazilian (it doesn't say) but spends time in Portugal. They are both involved in cocktail related organizations in Portugal and Cardoso has also spent time learning more about the wine side of things. The reason I mention this is because the book was classified as being written in European Portuguese (on wook.pt) rather than Brazilian so I was surprised with all the references to Brazil when I read it. It seems not to matter in any case.

Of the handful of Portuguese books I've read this was the most enjoyable.

bartender.jpg
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:59 pm

Italian:
-Podcast: Mangi come parli (130 mins)

I listened to three episodes of Mangi come parli. Subjects were i cereali, i legume and le erbe.

Portuguese:
-Reading: O vinho que Lisboa tem by Ana Cristina Marques (30%)
-Reading: Cozinha prática by Rita Lobo (5%)
-Grammar: Manuale di conversazione per chi viaggia - portoghese by AA.VV. (13%)
-youtube: Teresa activa: Moelas, Molho para churrasco, Pão com chouriço (40 mins)
-PTLab: Skills Builder: Articles; Breakthrough - Module 1 (B1)
-Wrote: 254 words

On PTLab I did the two A2 Skills Builder Articles. One was about the Cataplana pan used for seafood dishes. The other on the Portuguese poet Florbela Espanca. And as is usual for all of the Skills Builder lessons it focuses on specific grammar concepts. I decided to continue to move forward and started the B1-2 course. First lesson was on particípio passado. It looks like a lot of the lessons are going to be on the rest of the verb conjugations. In the A1-2 there were only three.

At the same time I will continue to review. When I first started learning Portuguese I bought some Italian grammar books so I'll go through them now. First one is Manuale di conversazione which seems to be a small series because there are other titles for Greek, German, etc. This is a book of sentences/phrases written in Italian and Portuguese with the Portuguese pronunciation. Grammar explanations are minimal so it's OK for review though I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.

I've also decided to read 100 books in Portuguese much like I did in Italian a while back. For now I will focus on non-fiction but at some point I'll add fiction to the mix. At the moment I'm sticking to food/cooking/health related but eventually I'll add some new subjects.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:45 pm

Italian:
-Reading/Recording: Il dizionario del pasticcere – Tutto, dalla A all Z (16%)
-Recorded: 23 mins

This book is poorly edited. I'm seeing quite a few spelling errors already and in one case they kept skipping the i for words beginning "fin" such as fine or finalmente. It was kind of strange.

Portuguese:
-Reading: O vinho que Lisboa tem by Ana Cristina Marques (32%)
-Reading: Cozinha prática by Rita Lobo (16%)
-Grammar: Manuale di conversazione per chi viaggia - portoghese by AA.VV. (25%)
-PTLab: Daily life & food

On PTLab I took a break from grammar and returned to Daily life & food as two new lessons were recently added. This was on baking a cake and focused on comprehension of spoken Portuguese. Otherwise today was mostly reading.

I've scheduled three italki lessons over the next couple of weeks with teachers in Portugal. Two are 30 minute trials and the third is for an hour as she didn't offer trials. I was surprised that two of them asked me what my language goals were. That's the first time I've ever been asked that before as far as I can remember and I've gone through quite a few Italian teachers over the time I've used italki. There aren't a lot of European Portuguese teachers on italki so I hope at least one of them ends up being a good match.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:51 am

Italian:
-Reading/Recording: Il dizionario del pasticcere – Tutto, dalla A all Z (22%)
-Recorded: 38 mins

Portuguese:
-Reading: O vinho que Lisboa tem by Ana Cristina Marques (32%)
-Reading: Cozinha prática by Rita Lobo (16%)
-Grammar: Manuale di conversazione per chi viaggia - portoghese by AA.VV. (27%)
-PTLab: Breakthrough – Module 1 (B1)
-italki: 30 minute trial lesson
-wrote: 102 words

On PTLab I returned to grammar and learned about the infinitivo e infinitivo pessoal (impersonal and personal infinitive). I tried to write some sentences following the format of the example sentences but using different nouns and verbs than in the lesson but I'm a little slow because I spend too much time trying to think up something to say as well as looking up unknown words.

I had the first of three scheduled italki lessons today. This was a 30 minute trial and I liked her well enough to do a five lesson package. I was actually able to understand about 75% of what she said the first time though I had to have her repeat a couple of times. I was also able to speak very simply. The problem was that I didn't always know the words to answer the questions she was asking. In fact Italian is what pops into my head first when I try to respond. I have two hour lessons scheduled next week, one with her and one with a different one that I'm trying out. I may go with multiple lessons for the next couple of months to get a handle on my pronunciation. And just used to speaking at all.

Evidently I overwrote Tuesday's entry with yesterday's entry. The perils of copy/paste. :(
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:26 pm

Italian:
-Podcast: Mangi come parli (86 mins)
-italki: one 64 minute session

Two more episodes of Mangi come parli. Subjects were i volatili (poultry) and i germogli. These episodes have become about as easy as listening to English so I probably need to change to one of the other Radio 24 podcasts on a different subject to challenge myself a little more.

Portuguese:
-Reading: O vinho que Lisboa tem by Ana Cristina Marques (36%)
-Reading: Cozinha prática by Rita Lobo (32%)
-Grammar: Manuale di conversazione per chi viaggia - portoghese by AA.VV. (35%)

Yesterday was a day of reading as I felt like I wasn't making fast enough progress. Both of the Portuguese books started out a little more challenging than what I had read before mostly because of writing style and vocabulary choices that were different. While most of the cooking vocabulary is similar there are a few slight differences. The recipes in Cozinha prática are easy but the author is a cooking show presenter and has probably a dozen books out. This one is based on one of her shows I believe. This is more than a cookbook. There are 13 chapters are on a different food with information about how to tend it. The first two chapters were on beans and rice a staple of Brazilian meals. The third was on the use of fresh herbs. It's probably only about 1/3 recipe. Her writing style is quite casual/slangy as if she were talking to you in person and it took some getting used to. I would know all the words but still had trouble understanding what she was trying to say.

O vinho que Lisboa tem is on the opposite spectrum. The language seems formal and stodgy with many new words. It's taken longer to get used to. I'm glad it's a short book because I don't care for the style at all. But, I do feel it's useful to experience different styles of writing and vocabulary so I'll stick with it. Overall I think by the time I do my 100 books my Portuguese reading level will be nearly as good as my Italian level.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:30 am

German:
-MHz Choice: Flemming S1E1-6 (306 mins)

I binge watched Season 1 of Fleming on MHz Choice. Flemming is a police psychologist who is able to read non-verbals of suspects. He's a bit quirky while the show itself is just run of the mill police procedural. There are two more seasons which I will continue with.

Portuguese:
-Reading: O vinho que Lisboa tem by Ana Cristina Marques (62%)
-Reading: Cozinha prática by Rita Lobo (32%)
-Grammar: Manuale di conversazione per chi viaggia - portoghese by AA.VV. (41%)
-youtube: Tuga na Cozinha: O melhor Arroz de marisco que já comeu, Açorda de Camarão (43 mins)
-PTLab: Consolidate Portuguese – A2, Daily life & food & Breakthrough – Module 1

For PTLab I listened to the final dialog #10 of the A2 consolidation. I also completed Daily life & food by listening to the final lesson about cars including all the parts of the vehicle. My listening is still weak but appears to be improving ever so slightly. Last, I learned about the futuro imperfeito (future tense). Outside of that I mostly read.
6 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

Return to “Language logs”