Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Re: Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Postby lingua » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:47 am

Italian:
-Podcast: Mangi come parli (140 mins)
-Reading/Recording: 100 lampi di genio by Luca Novelli (64%)
-Recorded: 23 mins

I listened to three more episodes of Mangi come parli. The subjects covered were cioccolata/pizza, riso/baccalà and detox e agrume. It seems like people who are on air all the time tend to speak in a pretty clear way and generally at a normal pace. Some of the guests talk extremely fast. I can still pretty much follow them though I might miss a little bit.

Portuguese:
-Reading: Vinhos & Petiscos by Vários chefes (53%)
-Reading: O mundo do bartender by Cardoso & Corrêa (20%)
-rtp.pt: Manual de Instruções E11 (25 mins)
-PTLab: Verb Booster
-Wrote: 153 words

On PTLab I started the Verb Booster course which covers 14 verbs in three tenses. Presumably these are some of the most frequently used verbs. I did the first one which was ser which is one of two verbs that mean to be. There are two parts. The first is a speaking part where you need to recall the conjugations with hints as to which person to use. And the second part is to write the conjugations first as stand alone and second within sentences. After completing it I did my writing based on the different conjugations for reinforcement.

I watched episode #11 of Manual de Instruções. The chef had a guest pastry chef on the whole episode and they made desserts. Unfortunately, I didn't get much reading done but hope to have more time later today. I'd like to complete both books by the end of the month at the latest. The bartender book that started out a little harder for me due to new subject matter is becoming much easier as the words repeat over the first 20% of the book.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:39 am

Portuguese:
-Reading: O mundo do bartender by Cardoso & Corrêa (20%)

On PTLab I continued with the Verb Booster course and did the verb estar which is the other verb that means to be. This was again a speaking/listening exercise followed by writing. The three tenses are the present, simple past and imperfect.

I took the time to finish Vinhos & Petiscos by Vários chefes today. This was a relatively easy read because I am now familiar with most cooking terms and the majority of the ingredients. One category that gave me issues was the different sausages they have in Portugal that don't show up in the dictionary. I ended up doing an image search to find out that the ingredient was sausage. Every recipe had a photo of the finished snack with the bottle of wine and sometimes a glass of wine. At the end of the book there was a list of wine producers, wines, recipe authors and photographers of the photos in the book. I enjoyed the book. Because of the picture heaviness I'm only counting 1/2 the pages for SC purposes.

vinhospetiscos.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:49 pm

German:
-memrise/clozemaster
-Workbook: Practising German Grammar by Martin Durrell, etc (Ch1 Ex 8)

I did one exercise in the Practising German Grammar in Chapter 1 on nouns. It was primarily regarding those nouns that have a different meaning depending on gender. In some cases they were compound nouns. I again looked up all unknown words and made sure I understood the full sentences because that is necessary for context in figuring out which meaning applies. I got all but one correct and the one that was wrong was due to case not gender. I also did some Clozemaster and Memrise for the first time in over a month.

Italian:
-Podcast: Mangi come parli (166 mins)
-Reading/Recording: 100 lampi di genio by Luca Novelli (71%)
-Recorded: 32 mins

I listened to four more episodes of Mangi come parli. The subjects covered were la preparazione di base, antipasti all'italiana, primi di pasta fresca and i funghi.

Portuguese:
-Reading: O mundo do bartender by Cardoso & Corrêa (22%)
-Reading: Receitas para alérgicos by Fabianan Teodoro Fernandex (14%)
-rtp.pt: Manual de Instruções E11 (24 mins)
-Podcast: Chef Kronback (12 mins)

On PTLab I continued with the Verb Booster course and did the verb ter which is the other verb that means to have. I watched another episode of Manual de Instruções. Subject for this episode was marinades. I've started another cookbook with recipes for people with allergies to gluten, soy, corn, etc. So far I'm finding it quite easy as it starts off with bolos (cakes) and the recipes along with the instructions are practically the same for all of them. I listened to a few minutes of the Chef Kronback podcast. Not sure I'll stay with it. The silliness of the secondary speaker (which seems to change for each one or at least the fake voice changes) was a bit grating.
7 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:06 am

German:
-Reading: Kochen und backen mit der Maus published by ZS Verlog (5%)

I started reading Kochen und backen mit der Maus a while back and then forgot about it. I ended up reading several recipes and looking up all unknown words so the whole procedure took a while. I'm trying this method to see if it is faster, slower or about the same as how I did my first Portuguese cookbook. In that case I started going through the first recipes and adding all unknown words to Memrise and over a few months I worked on learning them. I only entered about the first third of the book and often there were very few new words. When I finally read the book I didn't have to look up that much as I was able to remember the majority of the words. Either way I expect to retain most of the German vocabulary by the end of the book. But I'm not sure which will end up being quicker.

Italian:
-Netflix: Il segno di Venere
-Netflix: Pane, amore e …

I watched two movies on Netflix. Both from 1955 and both featuring Sofia Loren.

Piedmontese:
-Grammar: Il piemontese in tasca by Assimil (44%)

I did another one of the conversations in the Assimil book on the topic of il corpo umano which had a lot of new vocabulary including parts of the body, at the doctor, a list of illnesses, at the pharmacy and in the hospital. The list of body parts included far more than what I've seen elsewhere. There were several I don't recall ever even learning in Italian. I also had to look up several of the illnesses in Italian because I wasn't familiar with them.

Portuguese:
-Reading: O mundo do bartender by Cardoso & Corrêa (24%)
-Reading: Receitas para alérgicos by Fabianan Teodoro Fernandex (28%)
-rtp.pt: Manual de Instruções (48 mins)
-rpt.pt: Segredos do Octávio E1 (26 mins)

I finished up the Manual de Instruções series unfortunately as I like it. I tried Segredos do Octávio but it was not really what I'm looking for. The entire show was on one dish and I didn't catch a lot of what he was saying. It's also in Madeira and the accent is different. In some ways it's easier to understand because the words are clearer. But I need to see someone cooking many dishes and talking about what they're doing so I can associate the words with the activities. I wasn't able to do that with this show.
6 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:35 am

German:
-Reading: Kochen und backen mit der Maus published by ZS Verlog (6%)
-zdf.de: Nelson Müllers Nudel-Check Wie gut sind Spaghetti, Tortellini & Co.

I did another recipe following the same process as yesterday. Wrote out all unknown words and looked them up. Followed by reading the recipe making sure I understood every sentence. I also reread a recipe from yesterday and it turned out that I had retained the majority of those words. I think this might work but I'll probably have to do it every day. I also found that https://www.zdf.de/ has some cooking shows so at the same time I'm going try to find a video with the same type of dish as whatever recipe(s) I do on a given day. Today's was spaghetti so I looked for something that would at least mention pasta. The one I chose turned out not to have much cooking but mostly they were comparing different brands of pasta. They did spaghetti, tortellini and one other that I've now forgotten. They had people blind tasting the pasta and choosing the best one. They chose the cheap Aldi brand of spaghetti over a couple of more expensive Italian brands. The tortellini blind taste also favored a less expensive brand though not the cheapest one.

Portuguese:
-Reading: O mundo do bartender by Cardoso & Corrêa (31%)
-Reading: Receitas para alérgicos by Fabianan Teodoro Fernandes (49%)

Todays review verbs were dar (to give) and dizer (to say) for three tenses (present, simple past and imperfect). Outside of that I read for a couple of hours. I'm into the second part of the Bartender book which is going over each type of alcohol: beer, wine, cider, vodka, rum, etc. The last section in the first part was a bunch of guidelines on how to be a professional bartender. I tried to watch another new cooking series on rtp.pt but was having problems with the connection which has been a recurring problem with some shows but not others.
6 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:32 am

German:
-Reading: Kochen und backen mit der Maus published by ZS Verlog (7%)
-zdf.de: Gemüselasagne (5 mins)
-youtube: Das BESTE Lasagne Bolognese Rezept | schnell, einfach und super lecker (7mins)
-youtube: Das original LASAGNE REZEPT von Luigi (29 mins)

Today's recipe was lasagne so I searched for lasagne videos. zdf.de only had one and it was a vegetarian version which didn't much interest me. I was hoping to get some of the same vocabulary as what was in the recipe. So I checked youtube and found a short one that was OK but then on the sidebar I saw the a longer one by Lukas who featured Luigi. Much better and I was able to hear more recently learned words like I wanted to.

Portuguese:
-Reading: O mundo do bartender by Cardoso & Corrêa (37%)
-Reading: Receitas para alérgicos by Fabianan Teodoro Fernandes (63%)
-PTLab: Verb Booster, Focused Stories
-Wrote: 217 words

Todays review verb was fazer (to do/make), again for three tenses (present, simple past and imperfect). I also did one of the Focused Stories Skill Builders which was using the verb ser in present tense and imperfect. It included the same story in both tenses. There were also some exercises to do.
6 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:26 pm

German:
-Reading: Kochen und backen mit der Maus published by ZS Verlog (8%)
-youtube: Familienküche | So geht's: Fischstäbchen machen mit Sarah Wiener (12 mins)
-youtube: Quarantine Kitchen - Fischstäbchen selber machen! (10 mins)
-youtube: Auflauf mit Fischstäbchen, Gemüse und Reis (11 mins)

Today's recipe was Fischstäbchen (fish sticks aka fish fingers) so I searched for videos of at least 10 minutes on you tube so I can use them for the SC. I think I'm getting a little faster with my reading as I encounter fewer unknown words which I'm pleased about.

Portuguese:
-Reading: O mundo do bartender by Cardoso & Corrêa (45%)
-Reading: Receitas para alérgicos by Fabianan Teodoro Fernandes (73%)
-youtube: Bacalhau confitado para a ceia de Natal (15 mins)
-youtube: Rissóis de Bacalhau (10 mins)
-youtube: Pastéis de Bacalhau (34 mins)
-youtube: Como Faço Bolinhos de Bacalhau (11 mins)
-PTLab: Verb Booster, Consolidate Portuguese – A2
-Wrote: 202 words

Yesterday's review verb was ir (to go) for three tenses (present, simple past and imperfect). I did my writing using them and wrote nearly as much as yesterday a whole 3 minutes faster so I must have an easier time thinking of places to go. Additionally I did Dialog #5 for Consolidate Portuguese - A2.

I've figured out how to better find youtube videos from Portugal (and not Brazil) via search and watched four videos on bacalhau. I don't actually like bacalhau though the pastéis looked pretty good. That video was by Casa Portuguesa which has many that are around 30 minutes so I'll be watching more of them. The woman speaks on the slower side and I found her easier to understand than some other people.

Although I've done some videos on youtube in the past I don't recall pairing my video choices with my non-fiction reading. I plan to do more of it as it reinforces the vocabulary and also gives me different voices pronouncing the same words. PTLab is great due to all of the audio available but it is always the same two people and geared towards the student so exceptionally clear.
Last edited by lingua on Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:34 pm

German:
-Reading: Kochen und backen mit der Maus published by ZS Verlog (9%)
-youtube: four short videos (58 mins)

Latest recipe was for Hähnchenkeule which I've seen translated as both chicken legs and wings. The recipe photo is clearly of wings but the meatier part rather than the flappy part. I managed to watch four youtube videos of various leg/wing preparations.

Italian:
-Podcast: Mangi come parli (39 mins)

I listened to a single episode of Mangi come parli which was on i tartufi.

Portuguese:
-Reading: O mundo do bartender by Cardoso & Corrêa (46%)
-youtube: Casa portuguesa: Alheira á Portuguesa (24 mins)

I was sleep deprived yesterday so wasn't too interested in grammar. I did the usual reading and watched one short video on Alheira á Portuguesa. Alheira is a type of Portuguese sausage. She did a full meal of the sausage, rice, french fries and kale. This is very much home cook but I like her. During both of the episodes I've watched she'll talk a little bit about the history of the food.

I completed Receitas para alérgicos by Fabiana Teodoro Fernandes. On the whole it wasn't a very good cookbook. Although it didn't say so it seemed the recipes were geared towards children. The food was boring and not much of interest for me. I was also not happy that the last 15% of the book was a sales pitch for other books of Brazilian poets or on the Brazilian penal system. The publisher is Brazilian though the language is stated as European rather than Brazilian Portuguese. I'm not convinced. I did learn some new words though so not a complete waste of my time. I'm only taking half the pages for SC due to the book being picture heavy.

alergicos.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lingua on Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:05 pm

Italian:
-Podcast: Mangi come parli (117 mins)
-Reading/Recording: 100 lampi di genio by Luca Novelli (75%)
-Recorded: 20 mins
-italki: one 67 minute session

I listened to three more episodes of Mangi come parli which were on i formaggi, pesce d'acqua dolce and rane, lumache e insetti. Neither of the hosts were too interested in eating insects.

I'm always the last session of the day with my italk teacher and in recent months we've tended to go over as we usually end the hour discussing our plans for the weekend.

Portuguese:
-Reading: O mundo do bartender by Cardoso & Corrêa (53%)
-Reading: Saúde e Nutrição published by FG Digito Infoprodutos (22%)
-youtube: Casa portuguesa: Delicia de Sobras, Ovas salteadas com arroz de legumes e ovo (50 mins)
-youtube: Teresa activa: As melhores Bifanas a moda do Porto, Francesinha, Polvo a Lagareiro com Batata a Murro, Polvo a Galega (55 mins)
-PTLab: Verb Booster, Consolidate Portuguese - A2, Skills Builder: Focused Stories
-wrote: 259 words

I watched a couple more videos by Casa portuguesa and found another channel by Teresa activa who seems to be based in Porto. She does shorter videos and is less chatty and more recipe oriented. I would prefer to not to use youtube as a source because I hate commercials but in some cases it's the better source for European Portuguese. While I can live with the interspersed ads the popups that block the screen are very irritating.

I think that Portuguese is where Italian was 3-4 years ago on Amazon where many foreign publishers aren't yet on board in the US with ebooks and the choices are often self-published or otherwise limited. I have again bought a short book with no specific author put out by a digital publisher. I'll have to pay more attention in the future. I'll probably have to accept reading Brazilian Portuguese which is fine for non-fiction.

On PTLab I reviewed the verbs ler (to read), pedir (to ask for/request) & poder (can/may), listened to Dialog #6 of the Consoldidate Portuguese and listened to one beginner focused story which covered the verb estar (to be).

On another note, has anyone else found learning multiple languages messes up their native language spelling. My English has gone to hell. I sometimes write sentences in Italian word order and the cognates mess me up to the point I forget how to spell certain words like restaurant in any language as an example. I end up triple checking it.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:10 pm

lingua wrote:On another note, has anyone else found learning multiple languages messes up their native language spelling. My English has gone to hell. I sometimes write sentences in Italian word order and the cognates mess me up to the point I forget how to spell certain words like restaurant in any language as an example. I end up triple checking it.
Yes. Restaurant is a good example for me, too. French and English spell it exactly the same way. When I write it in English, I look at it and tell myself, no, that's not right, that's how French spells it. The spelling of oeuvre used as an English word never looks right (in either language). So I hear you. :)
4 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “Language logs”