Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Re: Lingua's 2020 IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Postby lingua » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:31 pm

Latin
Memrise/Clozemaster
Lingua Latina Per se Illustrata Pars 1 Familia Romana by Hans Ørberg
Exercitia Latina I: Exercises for Familia Romana (Lingua Latina) by Hans Ørberg
Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata: Teachers' Materials & Answer Keys by Hans Ørberg
Lingua Latina A companion to Familia Romana by Jeanne Marie Neumann

The Teachers Manual and Exercise Workbook arrived. The Teachers Manual has the same questions as what is in the textbook with answers while the exercise book includes its own answers. There are a lot of exercises which is exactly what I was looking for. I've been dissatisfied with most of my other Latin sources and I think this particular set of books is what I needed.

Even though I had done some of the exercises from Pensvm A-C I redid all of them for the repetition. From the exercise book I did Ex 1-5. I also re-read cap 1 from the textbook and chapter 1 of the companion book. I'm likely to be doing more repetition with Latin as I find the grammar more difficult than in other languages. The exercise book has a lot of fill in the blanks to answer but I'm writing the complete sentences out because it helps me to remember the spelling.

Cap 1 primarily covers the different singular/plural/gender endings. It briefly covers numbers. Goal for the week is to complete the rest of the chapter 1 exercises and review vocabulary though I don't believe there were any unknown words for this chapter. Once completed I'll continue on with chapter 2.

Piedmontese:
Clozemaster
La Lingua piemontese by Bruno Villata (chapter 7-8) <-- 81%

I completed Chapter 7 on adverbs. Because it was so short I also completed Chapter 8 on prepositions. I found this site https://it.wikibooks.org/wiki/Piemontese which I've taken a look at. It has verb conjugation tables which will be more helpful to me. Goal for the week is to read chapter 9 and work on some verb conjugations.

Sicilian:
Memrise
Beginners Siclian by Joseph Privitera (Chapter 6)

I read Chapter 6 and did all of the exercises. The dialog was about ordering food at a restaurant and the grammar covered pronouns. Easy enough. I also reviewed the vocabulary in Memrise. Next up will be Chapter 7.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:07 pm

Italian:
Memrise
Reading: Giro di vento by Andrea De Carlo <-- 12%
Reading: Finalmente ho capito come leggere un bilancio by Maurizio De Pra & Silvia Castelli <-- 69%
Reading: 100 lampi di genio by Luca Novelli <-- 10%
MHz Choice: Montalbano: La rete di protezione e36 (100 mins)
Podcast: Di Wine Taste (48 mins)
italki teacher: two one hour sessions
Easy Italian Reader: Part 2 Chapter 12-22 & Ripasso 3-6; Part 3 1st author
Wrote: 284 words
Recorded: 50 mins

I completed Part 2 of the Easy Italian Reader, reading chapters 12-22 which covered Carlo III di Borbone, L'unità d'Italia, Realità diverse, Modernizzazione ed emigrazione, Il Fascismo, La repubblica, Il governo di centro, Il centro-sinistra, Il terrorismo, Il pentapartito & Il nuovo secolo. I also read ripasso 3-6. Each ripasso summarizes the previous four chapters. I read the excerpt from Volevo i pantaloni by Lara Cardella. Last I answered all questions from all these chapters. I should finish the book up this week.

I finished Una di Luna by Andrea De Carlo. This was one of his shorter books. Margherita accompanies her father Attila Malventi to Milano (from Venezia where they live) so he can be the guest chef on Chef Test which is a show similar to Master Chef. Her father was a well known chef in Venezia but he lost his restaurant due to excessive debt and he is bitter about it. He actually is trying to redeem himself on the show. While in Milano Margherita meets a man and they are taken with each other which becomes a side story as he ends up coming to Venezia to find her. Margherita is also a chef but her restaurant is small and intimate with one fixed meal per evening while her father is a chef who executes classical dishes well. It was a pleasant read.

unadiluna.jpg

Portuguese:
Memrise
PT Lab: Lesson #39-41; Living Dialogues #2; Everyday Vocabulary: Home I

PT Lab Lesson #39 covered talking about recurrent and longer events in the past using the imperfeito. Lesson #40 covered making plans for the future using haver + de + infintive and lesson #41 covered talking about the past using the imperfeito. That concludes the A1-A2 course. When I started on this site the pre-A1 course was called First Contacts which covered the basics but Susana has replaced it with Living Dialogues which has in depth information about conversations such as introducing yourself, apologizing, at the market, at the restaurant, etc. #2 was in depth about informal vs formal greetings. Everyday Vocabulary is for building vocabulary on various subjects. I've already done food and am currently working on daily life which covers clothing, home & garden. Home I vocabulary included the names of rooms within the house. I see she is adding a new course called Consolidate Portuguese to get you ready for B1. I like the approach here.

I've given up on the Portuguese Clozemaster. I've disliked it for a while now. I was doing the Italian-Portuguese version and I see too many errors or at least they seem to be errors to me. Obviously I could be wrong. But it was starting to irritate me so I'm done with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:53 pm

French:
Memrise/Clozemaster
Kwiziq: A1 lessons/quizzes
Assimil: Dialog 3-6
MHz Choice: Crime en … S2E6-9 (372 mins)
Wrote: 667 words

More of the same. Assimil & Kwiziq. The writing I'm doing is simple. I take the sentences from Kwiziq and sometimes Assimil and then rewrite them using different nouns, adjectives and/or verb tenses. I wanted to include writing from the beginning and wasn't doing much of it originally so made an effort to do more the last couple of weeks.

German:
Memrise/Clozemaster
MHz Choice: Brunetti S1E8-12 (443 mins)
Assimil German: Dialogs 24-30
German Verb Drills: Exercises 15-19
Wrote: 1405 words

I've done seven new Assimil dialogs and reviewed one. I again seem to have forgotten to do Speechling. The most recent German Verb Drills covered the imperative and future tenses. As with French I'm writing using sentences from Assimil and the verb drill book that I then change up to create new sentences.

I am finding that I understand quite a bit more of Brunetti than when I started the series. German almost feels like a language I'll have an easier time with listening than reading which is the opposite of all of my other languages.
3 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:07 am

A couple of book reviews.

Easy Italian Reader by Riccarda Saggese. Saggese is a professor of Italian and has written this book as well as the PMP Italian Reading and Comprehension. The entire purpose of this book is reading comprehension. It is divided into three parts. Each chapter has a short passage, list of words/phrases with English meaning for some words and a series of questions to answer. In the early chapters the instructions for the questions were given in Italian and English but eventually only Italian. The very first chapters are quite easy and everything progressively gets more difficult. Part 1 is about two friends, one an American girl and the other an Italian boy. The chapters cover the various aspects of their lives in Roma. Part 2 is a short history of Italy from the birth of Roma to the most recent Berlusconi years. Part 3 includes some passages from three different contemporary Italian authors.

I think the book is well done and the questions are such that you end up recapping the entire passage that you just read. The early chapters also had several writing prompts that I used but then those soon disappeared which I found disappointing. I liked that feature. Sometimes there were instructions for classroom activities which I skipped. I believe this book would help someone at A2/B1 level improve their reading comprehension if they read the book and took the time to write out the answers to all of the questions at the end of each chapter. I doubt that it helped me much given my current reading level but it was still useful for doing some writing.

This book is part of a series and they have Spanish and French though I couldn't find one for German which I would have liked. I'll probably get the French one. Mine is the first edition and they all seem to be on the 3rd edition now with audio on the publishers site.

easyitalianreader.jpg

La lingua piemontese by Bruno Villata. I just finished this book today. It was pretty long and very thorough in covering grammatical points. I don't think I've ever seen anything so detailed as this book. It has dozens of example sentences for the usage of adjectives, adverbs, pronouns, verbs, etc. It will be a useful reference book in the future if I need to find an example of a specific grammar construct.

It would have been more helpful to me if they had included the Italian translation of the sentences and the verb chapter in particular was not organized in the way I'm used to seeing verb conjugations so I found it less helpful but that isn't a complaint. I'm happy that someone wrote such an excellent source for what is a very minor language.

lalinguapiemontese.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:25 pm

Latin
Memrise/Clozemaster
Lingua Latina Per se Illustrata Pars 1 Familia Romana by Hans Ørberg
Exercitia Latina I: Exercises for Familia Romana (Lingua Latina) by Hans Ørberg
Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata: Teachers' Materials & Answer Keys by Hans Ørberg
Lingua Latina A companion to Familia Romana by Jeanne Marie Neumann

I did Exercises 6-11 from the Exercitia Latina I workbook which completes Chapter 1. By now I have an thorough understanding of the single/plural endings by gender. Next up is to do all of the Chapter 2 exercises from the textbook and workbook. Additionally, I'll review the vocabulary though I think there was only one unknown word. Most likely I'll reread chapter 2 from the companion book.

Piedmontese:
Clozemaster
La Lingua piemontese by Bruno Villata - Chapter 9-12

Chapter 9 covered conjunctions and interjections (exclamations). Chapter 10 was about the syntax of prepositions and the period. Chapter included lexcial notes comparing Piedmontese with other romance languages. The author suggests the language is something between Italian and French. The final chapter 12 went over the alphabet and punctuation. Since this book is about 25% piemontese / 75% Italian I have added it to my Romance Family SC.

I perused two of the books I purchased and decided to do Assimiil Il piemontese in tasca first. Although the book is nearly 200 pages it is quite small and easily fits into ones jean pocket. The base is Italian. They also have the pocket book in Friulian and Genoese so I see those in my future since they fit in with my long term Italian dialect/language project. In spite of the small size it looks like it will cover all the major points. Once I complete this I'll do the more robust textbook.

I also picked up Il piccolo Principe / Ël Cit Prinsi which is Italian/Piedmontese and will start reading that at a slow rate.

Sicilian:
Memrise
Beginners Siclian by Joseph Privitera - Chapter 7

I read Chapter 7 and did all of the exercises. The dialog was about shopping and the grammar covered adjectives and more pronouns. I also reviewed some vocabulary in Memrise though I reached the point where I had stopped last time so I still need to go through some of it.

Next up is Chapter 8. I need to complete the entry of this vocabulary in Memrise.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:47 pm

Italian:
Memrise
Reading: Giro di vento by Andrea De Carlo <-- 72%
Reading: Finalmente ho capito come leggere un bilancio by Maurizio De Pra & Silvia Castelli <-- 70%
Reading: 100 lampi di genio by Luca Novelli <-- 10%
italki teacher: one hour session
Easy Italian Reader: Part 3 2nd-3rd authors
Recorded: 31 mins

I completed Part 3 of the Easy Italian Reader which I reviewed in an earlier post. The excerpts were from Le luci di Roma by Alberto Moravia and Vita by Melania Mazzuco. As usual I answered the associated questions. For the purpose of the SC I am only including 50% of the pages since there is quite a bit of white space in the first part of the book as well as the handful of Italian/English vocabulary translations throughout. I should finish up Giro di vento in the next couple of days.

Portuguese:
Memrise
PT Lab: Living Dialogues #3-5; Everyday Vocabulary; Clear Pronunciation: Vowel sounds
rtp.pt: Ingrediente Secreto E7-10 (104 mins)

I did three Living Dialogues which covered saying goodbye, apologizing and thanking. I completed Home II and Garden I Everyday Vocabulary modules. Home II covered terminology within the house such as wall, baseboard, ceiling, blinds, etc. Garden included items in the yard such as fence, hedge, wall, grass, etc. Everyday Vocabulary includes a handful of verbs and substantives specific to the topic.

The vowel sounds as part of Clear Pronunciation included:
9 nine fixed oral sounds
8 oral diphthongs
3 oral triphthongs
5 fixed nasal vowels
4 nasal diphthongs

The documentation includes pictures of the mouth/lip/tongue positions for each of these sounds. Fixed sounds indicate that one doesn't move their mouth. Next up are a bunch of exercises related to the vowel sounds.

I watched four episodes of Ingrediente Secreto. The secret ingredients were canned fish (sardines, tuna, etc), olive oil, sausage and blackberries. Each episode starts with a short intro of the ingredient and mid point they have a short interview with someone who produces it. There are only a couple more episodes on rtp.pt though it appears this was a three year series so I'll try to find other episodes on YouTube or elsewhere because I enjoy watching it.
3 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:11 pm

French:
Memrise/Clozemaster
Kwiziq: A1 lessons/quizzes
Assimil: Dialogs 7-9
Wrote: 494 words

Not much to say about French. Same as last week. Three Assimil dialogs, a bit of Kwiziq and writing.

German:
Memrise/Clozemaster
Reading: Café in Berlin by André Klein <-- 43%
MHz Choice: Brunetti S1E13-14 (176 mins)
MHz Choice: Der Kommissar und das Meer S1E1-2 (177 mins)
Nico's Weg: #6 Living
Assimil German: Dialogs 31-35
German Verb Drills: Exercises 20-25
Wrote: 1104 words

I did five new Assimil dialogs and reviewed one. Unfortunately, I have had sporadic internet problems recently and one day when I went to use the Assimil app it wouldn't load the logon page. The most recent German Verb Drills covered the present perfect of weak & strong verbs and haben/sein as auxiliary verb in present text.

I started up with reading again. Café in Berlin is an easy reader type of book with a translation of many of the words or phrases at the end of each chapter as well as five multiple choice questions. I'd like to complete this book in the next week or so.
3 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:39 pm

I wasn't in the mood to study much yesterday so I did nothing with Latin, Sicilian or Piedmontese this past week.

I finished two more Italian books.

Giro di vento by Andrea De Carlo. Four friends are looking into buying a country property together so they go to see it with the real estate agent. While they are looking for the property the agent ends up in a ditch while turning the car around. There is no cell service where they are so take off on foot to get help. They see a house and ask for help. It turns out the people living in the house are squatters and live off the land. So no phones, electricity, plumbing etc. As it turns out this is the house they were going to be shown.

Four adults, a teen and young child live in the house. They are not very friendly when they discover that the lost friends are interested in the house. But they end up letting them stay the night. In the morning the agent and two male friends take off to get help but then stupidly decide to take a short cut down an incline. The agent has a fall and hurts his leg so one one man continues down towards the road and sees a pickup who tries to run him down and then starts shooting at him. He's able to escape and one of the squatters (on horse) finds him and takes him back to the house. As it turns out the squatters have an ongoing feud with the neighbors. The agent and other man are retrieved by horse. The self sufficient squatters are able to set the broken leg.

The squatters end up using the horses to retrieve the car and bring it back to the house but it has some damage. One of the squatters knows how to fix the car but it will take another day. As you can imagine the relationships between the friends (two of whom are a married couple) starts to deteriorate because of differing viewpoints towards the squatters and the situation. At the same time there is an attraction from the one single males and one of the female squatters. Then the book just ends rather abruptly. There is no resolution with any of the relationships or even getting out of the situation intact. I checked some reviews and I was not the only disappointed person out there.

girodevento.jpg

Finalmente ho capito come leggere un bilancio by Maurizio De Pra & Silvia Irene Castelli. This book was a slog and I had a hard time finishing it. It was about reading financial statements. I wanted to learn this type of vocabulary but since it took me so long to read I don't remember much. There was also some information about calculating liquidity and analyzing the data. At the end there was a glossary of terms which actually was a little more helpful.

In the future I'll probably try to find short articles instead of a book to learn this type of vocabulary. I think that might be more effective.

comeleggereunbilancio.jpg
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:01 pm

Two questions:
Is there a book in Italian you especially liked?
Is there a book in Italian you especially want to read?
Just curious.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:59 am

I like the Rocco Schiavone books by Antonio Manzini. I've read one other book by the author that wasn't part of the Rocco series that I also liked. I like many of the books written by Alessandro Baricco though I find some of his writing self-indulgent and too cryptic for my taste. I enjoyed the BarLume books by Marco Malvaldi as well as other books he wrote that aren't part of that series. I actually like the way Andrea De Carlo writes. It is only the ending of Giro di vento that I found unsatisfying. I have already started another book by him.

I don't think I could choose a specific book that I especially liked. But when I read the first Rocco book Pista nera I got to a point where I couldn't put it down. That was the first time that ever happened in Italian. It was a break-through book for me and helped me become a faster reader.

I want to read all of the Montalbano books in Italian and the next Rocco book in the series.

In English I read books because of the author so if I like a couple of books from an author I'll seek out their other books. I am doing the same thing in Italian.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

Return to “Language logs”